Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #226
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriS View Post
Monique, I just read every word of your thread and you are amazing. Not just as a person, but as a writer- I want to second the opinion that you should write a book about what you have gone through to get to where you are.
Thanks Lori, I am still a work in progress. I hope to one day turn my journal into a book. Anything is possible so I will see what's next.
moniquessbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #227
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moniquessbbw has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Update for 2011
September 2010 I joined the gym thanks to Dr. Phil. He gave out one year passes to the audience. I was going five days a week then down to three days a week. My knee went out and I have been twice in the last three months. I just had shots in both of my knees yesterday. I hope it will help me. The good news is I am still the same weight I was last September but my entire body is shifting now that I am not working out. I now have a muffin top, my thighs look like melted candles that only burned down one side. My boobs can be on an episode of National Geographic when I go braless. Was it worth all of the pain and suffering? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Why would I do it again? It gave me more time on this earth with the people I love. March 2011 makes it five years and I fight everyday to not gain it back. The food addicted part of me wishes I could eat anything and everything. The realistic sane person knows that just isnít possible. A bite every now and again is ok with me but trigger foods are a no no for me. I no longer eat fast food because it doesnít taste good and I am only eating it looking for a guilty pleasure. My life is still consumed by food at times when I am anxious. When I am upset I canít eat at all anymore. Before wls I would always eat to self sooth. Now my stomach gets into knots and I canít keep anything down when I am stressed or upset. My doctor wants me to loose more weight before he will fix my arms. So far no luck but not going to quit now I can see the finish line.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #228
Miss Vickie
Executive Member

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for the update, Monique. I can't believe it's been five years! I think it can get really challenging the further we get from the surgery, and the easier it is to eat more. And yes, staying active is so important but so hard when you have joint issues. Can you do any other kind of exercise that won't hurt your knee? Maybe swimming?

They want you to lose more before you can get your arms done? Is that realistic? It seems like if you're this far out, you're unlikely to lose more weight, except by extreme means; I've been told that the reason they don't want to do reconstructive surgery too early in weight loss is that if you DO lose more it compromises the result. But if you're okay where you're at, why not do it? I hope to get my arms done someday but I heal so badly that I'm not sure under what circumstances I'll have it done. Arms are tricky anyway, and when you add someone like me who scars like crazy, it's a bad combo.

BTW I don't know if this is an issue for you but I've had a complete loss of sugar cravings after stopping Diet Coke. I am eating far less (the bubbles were stretching my stomach, despite my protestations to the contrary), and anything with fake sugar tastes way too sweet (I can't drink juices or even the 0 calorie Vitamin waters). I had to stop the Diet Coke because the medication I'm on for my headaches makes anything with bubbles taste like rocket fuel, so it was not intentional, let me assure you. However, it has had the positive side effect of getting me back to a weight that's better for me, painlessly, and improved the kinds of foods I eat. I don't recommend you get pseudotumor cerebri and have to take Diamox, but if you are using artificial sweeteners, it really does seem to stimulate the appetite and allow you to eat more at each sitting.

I wish you well, Monique. Hope your knees hang in there, and that the injections work, and that you continue to do well. Thanks again for the update.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #229
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

The doctor thinks I can loose more. I on the other hand am dealing with the daily grind to just maintain and keep my weight the same. As long as I donít gain I am happy with my results. I am going to give it all I have left though to finish this which means loosing that last 65 pounds. It sucks and seems like such a huge number to me all of a sudden. I still donít enjoy the gym but I do it to gain strength.

I donít drink soda gave it up after surgery. I didnít take any chances on anything that would stretch out my pouch faster. I drink water and add a packet of crystal light for flavor. I donít have any sugar cravings from artificial sweeteners. I have much less anxiety do to the right combo of meds so for the most part those I need sugar now moments are rare very rare. I turned down birthday cake last weekend. I love cake just wasnít in the mood for it so I said no thanks. Five years ago I had no clue how to say that about any food. I canít believe it has been this long either but I hung in there. Hang in there too Vickie
Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #230
SxxxyCoatedBBW

SxxxyCoatedBBW has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniquessbbw View Post
LOL No I did not see a white light but I could hear everything around me.
Your story made me cry not only because of your suffering and raw determination but because of your words that rang true. You are an inspiration. I am looking into WLS and you give me so much perspective about the road ahead.

Hugs and you look wonderful in your photos!
SxxxyCoatedBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #231
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxxxyCoatedBBW View Post
Your story made me cry not only because of your suffering and raw determination but because of your words that rang true. You are an inspiration. I am looking into WLS and you give me so much perspective about the road ahead.

Hugs and you look wonderful in your photos!
Thank you so much. All the best to you in your journey. If you ever need a friend feel free to message me. Take care
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #232
Heyyou
On Timeout

Location: Get a map, connect the dots, draw a horsie, throw a dart. 82% chance i been there or live there now.
Heyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging inHeyyou makes people happy simply by logging in
Thumbs up

Quote:
Instead of staying home for V-day I went out with my BFF. I m still swollen and bandaged up under that corset. It was good to get out of the house for an evening. Here are the before and the after pic so far. My body is still changing and the wound is still open.
Monique i admire your strength and all you have been through. I followed this thread. Much love, and im glad you were able to triumph and become exactly who you wanted to be! And you are correct, it is a journey. Looking great, feeling even better im sure! God bless, Monique!
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #233
LinathSuru
Dreamer

LinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticedLinathSuru never has a post go unnoticed

Monique, I just finished reading this thread. What a long, long journey you've had. I'm glad you've had support at every turn, and I find you inspiring for sticking to it. I hope your efforts at the gym and on losing the weight to get your arms done have been rewarding in the months since your last update. I hope your knees are doing better... I just generally hope things are going well for you and that little things have kept coming along to help you keep morale up.

Thank you for sharing your story. Know that you've got some more well-wishes coming your way from Texas.

~Lin
LinathSuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #234
weaverof

weaverof has said some nice things
Default readings

I read this thread and...tomorrow I'm heading for the gym. Yoo hoo! Hottie girls? Well I try.

Seriously though I'm very impressed by your journey. I have some problems of my own and hope to solve them in the future and well...you're kinda an inspiration. Hope all turns out well.
weaverof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #235
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinathSuru View Post
Monique, I just finished reading this thread. What a long, long journey you've had. I'm glad you've had support at every turn, and I find you inspiring for sticking to it. I hope your efforts at the gym and on losing the weight to get your arms done have been rewarding in the months since your last update. I hope your knees are doing better... I just generally hope things are going well for you and that little things have kept coming along to help you keep morale up.

Thank you for sharing your story. Know that you've got some more well-wishes coming your way from Texas.

~Lin
Sorry I haven't been here much. I have been sick and dealing with all sorts of stuff. I will post on my blog soon what has happened since the part 2 has been written. Thanks everyone for still being here for me.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #236
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

http://moniquejurgen.blogspot.com/20...sary-post.html Today is my 6th year Anniversary Post Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #237
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are awesome.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #238
Webmaster
The Chief

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
http://moniquejurgen.blogspot.com/20...sary-post.html Today is my 6th year Anniversary Post Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Overall, what has the experience been? Was it all worth it for the way you feel about yourself and see the world, or was the price perhaps just too high?
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #239
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!The Orange Mage has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Overall, what has the experience been? Was it all worth it for the way you feel about yourself and see the world, or was the price perhaps just too high?
She's alive.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #240
Miss Vickie
Executive Member

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

[quote=Webmaster;1876430]Overall, what has the experience been? Was it all worth it for the way you feel about yourself and see the world, or was the price perhaps just too high?[/QUOTE

That's an interesting question. I wonder why we would see the world differently after WLS? I don't even feel differently about myself, other than being happy I can be as active as I want, and I'm not sure why I'd see the world differently. I'd love some insight from you, Conrad. Have others said that they feel differently about the world after WLS?

My seven year anniversary was on April 17. Still going strong, maintaining my loss (within 15 pounds), feeling good other than my darn autoimmune disease. Grrrr.

I wish Monique the very best. She's had a rough time of it.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #241
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.
CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I know many many people who've had it and not one ever made the decision lightly. People tend to assume that those who don't love their body do it, but the fact is that those who love their bodies do it because they see it (regardless of our *general our* own perceptions) as a tool to help them achieve their best, whatever that may be.

Kudos to anyone who considers and makes tough decisions, especially those that affect them for the rest of their lives. Best of luck to you, MoMo.

FTR: I didn't have WLS but considered it and did everything required up to setting the surgical date. It's not EVER an 'easy way out'.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #242
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
The experience has been really hard. It never gets easy and I fight to keep the weight off. I am alive and it gave me almost 7 more years with my family. I would do it all over again. It was never to change how I feel about myself. It was to stay alive or die. I picked life. The world still lookes at me as just another fatty. They judge me on sight none of that has changed. I still get dirty looks from strangers who don't like fat people. I am just glad I made it and the price is what it is. I can't put a price on life. I haven't gained it back and have stayed the same for the last 2 years. I am still fat and always will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mo mo summer 2012.jpg (49.2 KB, 526 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #243
moore2me
An Example To Others???

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Monique,

I can tell by the look in your face that you are happy with your decision on WLS. You look at peace and ready to face more time ahead with the interesting challenges life has to offer. You are a special survivor and have been given a special gift of life. I admire you and think it's great you are telling your story to others.

And yes, WLS is not a no problem or "get out of jail free" card. There are many strings that go with it and many highs and lows. Not everyone wins, some end up worse or about the same as they were before the surgery. I fall into this last group. But, I am happy to see my sisters and brothers get a new lease on life when they successfully undergo this major life changing surgery.

M2M
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #244
Miss Vickie
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Monique,

I can tell by the look in your face that you are happy with your decision on WLS. You look at peace and ready to face more time ahead with the interesting challenges life has to offer. You are a special survivor and have been given a special gift of life. I admire you and think it's great you are telling your story to others.
Yup, she's absolutely glowing!

Quote:
And yes, WLS is not a no problem or "get out of jail free" card. There are many strings that go with it and many highs and lows. Not everyone wins, some end up worse or about the same as they were before the surgery. I fall into this last group. But, I am happy to see my sisters and brothers get a new lease on life when they successfully undergo this major life changing surgery.

M2M
Now that I'm out in public working as a NP intern, I'm running into more and more people who have, over the years, stopped having testing done and stopped taking supplements. A couple o them have said to me that, "Since I gained my weight back I figure I'm getting enough vitamins too!"

This just isn't true!!! The body can absorb carbs and fats far easier than minerals, vitamins and protein, and so you end up with the worst of both worlds. Regaining of non-lean muscle (aka fat) and continued loss of nutrients.

So even when it goes right and we have few or no problems, we still have to remember that even if we feel "normal", we're not and our commitment to getting sufficient nutrition is a life long event.

I was lucky -- it went well for me, other than continued borderline anemia which could easily be explained by my chronic illness. But I know for lots of people it doesn't go so swimmingly, which is why people need to be well informed as to what can happen. 'Cause it's just not very predictable, from patient to patient, something I wish we could change.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #245
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Monique,

M2M
Thank you and I want to give you a big hug. Giving up was never an option for me. I had my family all around me and prayers coming in from all over. The power of prayer is amazing. I think this is the size I should be for now. My healthy has been improved and I have more time. Nothing beats time.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #246
johnnny2005

johnnny2005 knows EXACTLY what's going onjohnnny2005 knows EXACTLY what's going onjohnnny2005 knows EXACTLY what's going onjohnnny2005 knows EXACTLY what's going onjohnnny2005 knows EXACTLY what's going on
Smile

You look very good in the pic You have up in the white bottoms
johnnny2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #247
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnny2005 View Post
You look very good in the pic You have up in the white bottoms
Thanks John. Hope you are well
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #248
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Default Made it 7 Years post op

Huge milestone making it 7 years.
http://moniquejurgen.blogspot.com/20...ic-bypass.html
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #249
moore2me
An Example To Others???

Quote:
Well, Happy 7th Rebirth Day Sexy Lady
You Saved Your Own Life
You Are A Great Role Model

M2M
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #250
moniquessbbw
Shake N Bake

Quote:
Well, Happy 7th Rebirth Day Sexy Lady
You Saved Your Own Life
You Are A Great Role Model

M2M
Thank you I did the best I could.