Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Malissa Jones, formerly "Britain's fattest teen", ill, suffering anorexia, post WLS.

Malissa Jones' case has already been discussed on this board, here:
http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=66950
which referred to the article where she expressed her unhappiness with her body post WLS.

Sadly, Malissa has miscarried the baby she concieved, due to malnourishment. Further, Malissa is now suffering anorexia, she says - due to the pain, stomach cramps and vomitting from the WLS preventing her eating. She currently weighs 112lbs (at 5' 8") is very ill, has been hospitalised, and is in danger of imminent heart attack.

In a breathtaking example of selective deafness, one doctor suggests that Malissa has a psychological issue that prevents her eating.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-anorexia.html
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

How sad I cant really think of anything else to say.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Qit el-Remel
Geek and FFA

Qit el-Remel has super-sized repQit el-Remel has super-sized repQit el-Remel has super-sized repQit el-Remel has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswitch View Post
In a breathtaking example of selective deafness, one doctor suggests that Malissa has a psychological issue that prevents her eating.
She's reporting physical pain? Yeah, must be all in her head. Goes to show that all of the education in the world will not make some people into professionals.

I wonder if they've even tried, you know, giving her an actual check-up for complications? Considering that she's been hospitalized a few times, you'd think someone would have thought of that.

"Swapped one emotional relationship with food for another," my eye.

"What monstrosities would walk the streets were some people's faces as unfinished as their minds."
—Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Last edited by Qit el-Remel; 09-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Qit el-Remel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Its truly sad and also hows that being thin is not always healthy. I hope her health improves very soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
CorinaJade

CorinaJade can now change their title

I have to say i can relate to the poor girl, and it's the biggest reason why i'm against weight loss surgeries. If you're going to go that path you should be constantly monitored through counselling; talking you through how you feel about food and your weight loss, and follow-up to make sure you haven't developed any new maladaptive thought patterns around food.

Even extreme dieting can have horrible effects mentally. I went on a shake diet when i was 19 and lost a third of my body weight, but to do it, i became afraid of food. The thought of eating something that might be carby was actually sickening and i wouldn't even eat vegetables like peas or corn because i knew they contained carbs. I would have friends insist on me trying their desserts, and even a mouthful i'd have the urge to spit out. It was horrible. I ended up with iron deficiencies, constantly tired, and i'm now lactose intollerant because i didn't eat dairy for over a year. When i did gradually come off the diet, i gained about half of the weight back again over the past 3 years so it was completely pointless. All i got from it was an intollance to most things i put in my mouth. My body just can't process "heavy" foods anymore. I hope she gets the counselling and support that she needs. I do think food and weight gain should be classed as an addiction, a problem that comes with all the common addiction symptoms like withdrawal and abnormal thinking and environmental associations that trigger a need/want to eat. People eat for a number of reasons, enjoyment, boredom, comfort, and it's those things that result in abnormal eating patterns that cause unhealthy levels of food intake.

I agree completely with dieticians that say "lifestyle changes" are the way to go with the goal of being "healthy" not to lose weight. If you do decide you want to lose weight, weight loss surgery is really not the best way to go, and any form of weight loss should be accompanied by supportive and informative help.

The combination of the loss of a child due to the problems she's been experiencing would have only increased her problem thinking around food, her body image, and herself and highlights the huge need that she has for support of a psychiatric nature. There'd be depression and self blaming, that goes hand in hand with a possible phobia of food (or at least food avoidance).

And just in comment to a few people (in defence of doctors and psychologists), if you can rule out actual physical causes of the pain, then it is VERY possible for physical pain to be caused entirely out of ones own thoughts and beliefs. They would have given her a full physical check when she started exhibiting physical symptoms before attributing them to a psychological issue. It's standard proceedure. And it's very common for people with anorexia to experience this, and be constantly hospitalised for it as a result. The hospitalisations are less likely to be a result of her experiencing pain while eating, and more likely to be a result of feeling faint and experiencing rapid heart rate ect. that is connected to malnutrition. She may mentally be attributing the vomiting, pain etc. to the weight loss surgery, but could be experiencing the symptoms for another reason entirely, that could very well be psychological. It is possible.

I'm not saying that she definitely would have a psychological problem and her pain can't possibly be physical because i'm not an expert and i'm not involved in her case, but i can at least give my own opinion from what i do know, and what i have read from this, and other cases. I think a lot of people don't give psychologists and doctors enough credit. You wouldn't be given ALL the information on an online article, 1. because it's there to make an impact and evoke a response out of people and 2. confidentially around the persons medical files. You only get what can be publically released, and what she herself says in an interview.
That is just a personal opinion of mine on this particular case though.
CorinaJade is offline   Reply With Quote