Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default June Iron Foodie Challenge

OK, get your aprons on everyone. This one is easy and fun. I couldn't believe we haven't done it yet, but it's the perfect time to fire up the grill and share your best recipes for beef. It's what's for dinner ... or breakfast, or lunch ...

Past Challenge List
Dec - Oranges

Jan - Cream Cheese
Feb - Soda pop
Mar - Recipes containing a can of soup
Apr Shrimp
May Eggs
Jun Liquor
Jul - Pasta/couscous etc Salads
Aug Zucchini
Sep - Quick breads / Muffins
Oct Cheese
Nov Cranberries
Dec - Fudge

Jan - Slow Cooker Recipe
Feb Potatoes
Mar - Garlic and Mushrooms
Apr Chicken
May Lemons
Jun - 30 min Hot Weather Recipes
Jul - Preserves - Jams, Chutneys, Relishes etc
Aug Coffee
Sep - Tofu / Cottage Cheese
October Pumpkin
November - Sweet Potatoes/Yams
December - Mint

January Soup
February Pork
March-Mexican Food
April Cereal
May- Berries
June-Yogurt
July Corn
August Asian
September - Breakfast foods
October Nuts
November Onions
December - Meat in Casings

January - Side Salads
February Spinach
March Beans
April-hot sandwiches
May-Soy Sauce
June cookies
July - Sour Cream
August - (Summer Break)
Sept - BBQ Foods.
October - Southern cuisine
November - Peanut butter
December-"Packaged Food"

January rice
February chocolate
March - Irish food
April - Butter
May- Flour
June-Father's Day Recipes
July-Mayo/Miracle Whip
August-jalapenos
September - Apples
October - candy
November-Root Vegetables
December - Heavy Whipping Cream

January - Cakes
February - chocolate
March- Pizza
April - Crescent Rolls
May - Picnic!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK, I thought this was a good idea, but maybe not?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

It is a good idea! People will post, just hang on.........
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
It is a good idea! People will post, just hang on.........
Thank you. I'll just go work on my patience, which is not always my strongest suit.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

This is my recipe for how to "Julia up" a steak.

My take on making a good steak, based on what I've learned from Julia Child.

Get probably 3-4 tbsp of butter. Red wine also, about 1/4 cup. Julia always recommended burgundy if you can find it. Keep a plate or bowl on the side.

Add the butter & wine to a frying pan. Slice up some onions and, if you want, a few mushrooms. Do not crowd the pan. Saute' these in the butter & red wine on low heat for about 5 minutes.

Take out the veggies so they don't get overdone & put them on your plate on the side. Add your steak. Season with herbs like a pinch or two each of basil, tarragon, oregano, parsley, a crumbled bay leaf, sea salt, & pepper to taste.

Saute' on both sides in the remaining sauce until steak is no longer red in the middle (unless you like it rare). Top with the mushrooms and onions. Serve with a salad and slice of French bread, and the same wine you used to saute' the steak in.

Last edited by EMH1701; 06-22-2012 at 09:42 AM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beef Roast with a parmesean cream sauce

Ingredients:

For roast:
4-5 lb beef roast-I believe this was a beef sirloin roast
2 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp dried rosemary
2 tbsp dried thyme
4-6 tbsp olive oil
6 or so cloves of garlic
beef broth

For sauce:
brown bits from bottom of the pan
beef broth for de-glazing
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup freshly grated parmesean cheese
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 500. Cut slits into various spots on the roast and insert garlic cloves. Mix other ingredients to form a paste and spread evenly on roast. Pour enough beef broth to cover bottom of the roasting pan before putting roast in pan. Place in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drop the heat down to 300 and cook for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the meat continue to cook as the oven cools. Pull meat from oven, loosely tent with foil and let sit for 15-20 more minutes. Slice as thickly as you like.

For the sauce, in the roast pan on medium heat, add a few splashes of beef broth to de-glaze and scrape up any bits left on the bottom. Add hwc, cheese, worcestershire salt and pepper and reduce sauce to a low simmer. Simmer until desired consistency.

MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post

WANT NOW PLEASE KTHNXBAI
Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post

Beef Roast with a parmesean cream sauce

Drool!! Looks amazing!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

Great recipes! This is the final day, so there's still a little time to post your favorite ways to enjoy beef.

Also, I don't know how to create the poll. Would someone who does mind sending me a PM with instructions?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Why not give it a couple more days, and I can post the poll for you.

Come on folks! How about beef in a slow cooker? Or great burger ideas?

I have a sandwich recipe I need to post, but no pic, so if I can find one that looks like my recipe, I'll post soon.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

That sounds like a much better idea, and thank you for posting the poll. I'm excited to see your sandwich recipe!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Creamed Chipped Beef

This is a dish I grew up on, it's not the ubiquitous military version of SOS, that's made with ground beef, not dried beef.

2 small jars Armour Dried Beef, dice up slices. (find this stuff where you find the Spam and Vienna Sausages. It's really salty)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2-4 cups milk
2 cans sweet peas
2 small cans mushrooms
3 hard boiled eggs, diced
pepper
toast or noodles

In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook to make a light roux. Add a small amount of milk and stir til it thickens up, then add more milk and stir til it thickens, repeat til it forms a stable white sauce. Add the dried beef and heat through. Add the peas, mushrooms, diced eggs and pepper. Heat through. Serve over toast or noodles.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

It has been a long, long time since I made this sandwich, but it was one of my faves. Whenever I would make London Broil, I'd serve it with creamy horseradish sauce, caesar salad and garlic bread. The next day I'd use all the leftovers for sandwiches.

I'd take the leftover french (or italian bread) and toast it lightly and spread it with either garlic butter or the horseradish sauce. Then I'd top it with slices of leftover london broil. Then top that with some leftover salad

Was so easy since I already had everything ready to go, and it was deeelish.

Here are some pics from the internet - none of which are this sandwich, but they give you a sense of it. The meat in the first one looks most like what I made.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

We'll close this Monday night (July 2nd). Get your recipes posted!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

2 hrs left (unless I forget to post the poll before bed. Lol)