Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Tom Gabel of Against Me! Comes Out as Transgender

Read more about it at the Rolling Stone web page: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ender-20120508
and the full article will be in the edition that comes out Friday May 11th.

(If you are unsure who the band is, their single that I'm most familiar with is "I was a teenage anarchist" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RUeMCZL3Q but I've certainly heard on the radio some of their other stuff too:
- thrash unreal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJ21...eZ6M1PO5Rt5d9w
- and this one, "Stop!" has been on the radio, and used at voting time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fGmf...feature=relmfu ).

Not that they are a hugely known band, but getting it discussed in Rolling Stone ought to generate some discussion.....for better or worse. Tom is married and has a kid, and the couple are staying together, so that is hopefully something that will help cast this in a positive light. Will also be interesting to see how the band does after this.

Last edited by Tad; 05-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Ample Pie
Fattitude Problem

Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!

My best friend and I were talking about this tonight...about how it must have been for hir to tell hir wife and how awesome it is that they're sticking together.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Pie View Post
My best friend and I were talking about this tonight...about how it must have been for hir to tell hir wife and how awesome it is that they're sticking together.
Yah, mentioned in the online article that that was the most terrifying part--I can well imagine! Not only worried about her reaction, but knowing that you could be messing up the life of someone you love if she can't handle it.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Yah, mentioned in the online article that that was the most terrifying part--I can well imagine! Not only worried about her reaction, but knowing that you could be messing up the life of someone you love if she can't handle it.
Good luck to both of 'em. Good to see some supportive comments on that article, but damn! there's some hate there for trans folks!
WTF is wrong with people, they act like it's some kind of personal punch in the face that this person - someone they don't even personally know - is transistioning??? I can't get my head around that mentality...

On the up side, I remember hearing about this on Radio 1 on the Mike whatsisname punk show, and that was all v. supportive commentary...

Oh, and Radio 1 Zane Lowe just did a big old feature / interview with Frank Ocean about his music - just after Frank came out about being bi...