Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default BHM's Got Talent

This is a bit of a takeoff on the whole America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent shows and the like. I also figured a clearinghouse type area for videos and sound recordings of people singing or reading spoken word or poetry readings Also youtube videos of performances welcome as well. Everything from comedy sketches and digital shorts, to original and cover songs, or original poems or other creative endeavors. I realize there is a skill or hobby thread, but I envision this one a little different. More as a talent show for BHM's and their FFA or FA admirers than a hobby or skill. Anyways, here goes nothing.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 07-28-2012 at 08:48 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
This is a bit of a takeoff on the whole America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent shows and the like. I also figured a clearinghouse type area for videos and sound recordings of people singing or reading spoken word or poetry readings Also youtube videos of performances welcome as well. Everything from comedy sketches and digital shorts, to original and cover songs, or original poems or other creative endeavors. I realize there is a skill or hobby thread, but I envision this one a little different. More as a talent show for BHM's and their FFA or FA admirers than a hobby or skill. Anyways, here goes nothing.
I think you're up first sir :-)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
I think you're up first sir :-)
I don't have my studio up and running yet, all I have are some demo type stuff I recorded with my cell phone to use as a template for a full recording.

Aw what the hell I reckon if I start this thread I might as well put something out there, I guess I'll just post one of those. Here's an acoustic demo of a song I wrote a little while back. I'm almost loathe to post it here, because singing is definitely not a talent of mine, I just do it anyway because I like it. So here goes, the song is titled

Keep Your Friends Close
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I don't have my studio up and running yet, all I have are some demo type stuff I recorded with my cell phone to use as a template for a full recording.

Aw what the hell I reckon if I start this thread I might as well put something out there, I guess I'll just post one of those. Here's an acoustic demo of a song I wrote a little while back. I'm almost loathe to post it here, because singing is definitely not a talent of mine, I just do it anyway because I like it. So here goes, the song is titled

Keep Your Friends Close

Very Steve Earle.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
Very Steve Earle.
Hah, thanks for the listen. Just goes to show, if you're gonna copy someone's style you might as well copy from one of the best in the genre!

Alright folks, I kicked it off, I know a bunch of you sing or write poetry or animate or make YouTube vids. So come on and add your creative endeavors here.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Well, I didn't want to see this thread die, so I figured I'd try one time to revive it. C'mon folks, I know there are a lot of creative people on this board. Let's see your songs, guitar work, or other instrument. There are bound to be some amateur filmmakers out here that have some shorts or other vids. Painters, animators, you're all welcome to put your stuff up here. So if you do it and it's creative, let's see and hear it. I'm talking to you Senor Garseeya, don't leave me hangin' here. Matt B. consider it a shoutout to you too. Bigginz, WHR, I know you play some, so let's see what you can create. I have always found that exchanging ideas through each other's works always boosts the creative process, no matter what the medium. Don't worry if it's not exactly virtuoso, I know very few are fortunate to be talented enough to do it for a living, but hell I'm sick of most over polished art anyway. I love the art that folks like myself create, art that is real and everyday. I know I sing like a frog, but I love writing songs and have no one else to sing them for me yet, so I do them anyway. So c'mon and join in.

Here is my latest song I have written, it's still brand new and just an acoustic strummer for now, but I have some ideas for a full instrumentation.

A Damn Good Run
Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Ok, not the best quality as it was done on a cameraphone next to a really loud PA speaker in the tinyest pub in existence.

If You Wanna

As for originals I haven't been able to find any footage. I am on Itunes somewhere but I don't even want to acknowledge that track.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
theronin23

theronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Oooo, I've got few. Yes, I'm a show off

Audio of me playing Rest Stop by Matchbox Twenty on my ukulele

Video of me in the first production of RENT in my county. Title song.

I have more, but I don't wanna hog the thread.
theronin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Yay, I'm not alone in here anymore! It was also nice to hear people that can carry a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Ok, not the best quality as it was done on a cameraphone next to a really loud PA speaker in the tinyest pub in existence.

If You Wanna

As for originals I haven't been able to find any footage. I am on Itunes somewhere but I don't even want to acknowledge that track.
I like the energy your group has. I bet it's a fun, boozy experience at your shows. I also liked y'alls take on Mr. Postman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronin23 View Post
You had me at ukulele cover I have never met a uke song I didn't like!
Good job on the musical as well. That's something I have always kinda wanted to do. I almost got to do one in high school. Li'l Abner, I was Earthquake McGoon. I made all the rehearsals and then flunked algebra a week before the show and never got to actually perform in it.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
theronin23

theronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytheronin23 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

You had me at ukulele cover I have never met a uke song I didn't like!
Good job on the musical as well. That's something I have always kinda wanted to do.
You should hear my cover of Creep. I kind of make it my own. Actually, I'll record it tomorrow and post it to that same Sound Cloud (and post it here if there's interest)

As far as the musical goes, RENT is my absolute favorite. Changed my sheltered 17 year old life first time I saw it. I knew I had to go audition when the opportunity presented itself. Honestly, go do it. Even now, if you have the time, find a local theatre and go audition. It's a HUGELY rewarding experience, and boosts your self-confidence like nothing else in the world.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
You should hear my cover of Creep. I kind of make it my own. Actually, I'll record it tomorrow and post it to that same Sound Cloud (and post it here if there's interest)

As far as the musical goes, RENT is my absolute favorite. Changed my sheltered 17 year old life first time I saw it. I knew I had to go audition when the opportunity presented itself. Honestly, go do it. Even now, if you have the time, find a local theatre and go audition. It's a HUGELY rewarding experience, and boosts your self-confidence like nothing else in the world.
Post it, I'd like to hear it. It's a good song, but definitely one that has plenty of room for interpretation and ability for one to go there own way with and yet stay in the spirit of the song.

My hope one day if I ever get a schedule that is more fixed timewise, I would like to do either a band or get involved with some community theatre. As it is now, I never know what hours I'll be working from one day to the next.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think I need to buy a ukelele. Good shit man. And to everyone in this thread awesome stuff!

I'll try to get some audio or video of me and my garbage playing
WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
MrBob

MrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging inMrBob makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Yay, I'm not alone in here anymore! It was also nice to hear people that can carry a tune.

I like the energy your group has. I bet it's a fun, boozy experience at your shows. I also liked y'alls take on Mr. Postman
Yes, booze is both the inspiration....and downfall in many of our shows. I had to gaffertape the lead guitarist to a mic-stand once when he could no longer stand upright.
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
HDANGEL15
GREATFUL

HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!HDANGEL15 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I love your voice....and although not familiar with matchbox....REALLY HITTING THE LIKEY BUTTON...nice!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
theronin23

Because it was requested, hot off the press

My cover of Creep by Radiohead on ukulele
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
WhiteHotRazor
Time Travelling

WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!WhiteHotRazor has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

pretty awesome man
WhiteHotRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:

Good job dude! I like how you did it.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Well, I didn't want to see this thread die, so I figured I'd try one time to revive it. C'mon folks, I know there are a lot of creative people on this board. Let's see your songs, guitar work, or other instrument. There are bound to be some amateur filmmakers out here that have some shorts or other vids. Painters, animators, you're all welcome to put your stuff up here. So if you do it and it's creative, let's see and hear it. I'm talking to you Senor Garseeya, don't leave me hangin' here. Matt B. consider it a shoutout to you too. snip]
Called out! I had no idea!! Okay, I'm still working on the new CD, but give me a few minutes and I'll post some fun stuff I did this summer. Just have to upload it to dropbox...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Okay, instead of working on my metal band's latest full-length CD (I started writing it a year ago...) I did a full EP of cover songs. (Mostly punk...) I had a bit of writer's block, so this was a perfect distraction. Got things moving again...

To avoid any legal crap involved with recording other people's songs, I gave the EP away for free to Facebook friends and family only. I didn't put it up on any of my websites, it was just for kicks. If anyone wants a copy I can send a download link for the whole thing, (send PM) but in the meantime here's my cover of "Love Song" by The Damned...(Volume warning, adjust speakers...)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9178790/Cro...ove%20Song.mp3
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Okay, instead of working on my metal band's latest full-length CD (I started writing it a year ago...) I did a full EP of cover songs. (Mostly punk...) I had a bit of writer's block, so this was a perfect distraction. Got things moving again...

To avoid any legal crap involved with recording other people's songs, I gave the EP away for free to Facebook friends and family only. I didn't put it up on any of my websites, it was just for kicks. If anyone wants a copy I can send a download link for the whole thing, (send PM) but in the meantime here's my cover of "Love Song" by The Damned...(Volume warning, adjust speakers...)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9178790/Cro...ove%20Song.mp3
Nice, what amp sim are you using? It has a nice old school high gain sound. Pretty warm without being brittle.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
MattB

Quote:
Nice, what amp sim are you using? It has a nice old school high gain sound. Pretty warm without being brittle.
I actually used free amp sims for the EP, LePou Legion with a Mesa cab impulse. Sims are getting really good, but I just recently picked up a POD HD Desktop. Killer!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
LeoGibson
Slangin'

Those pods are nice. I like the amp sims you did use though. For free it sounded great. It had all the warmth of an old school tube amp cranked up. The only way I could tell it was a sim and not the real thing was it just didn't have that sound like it was moving air if ya get what I'm saying. But other than that, the sim sounded spot on.

On another note, did you see where Ibanez came out with a 5w combo tube amp with the tube screamer overdrive circuit built in and an 8 inch Celestion speaker, for just $249 retail. First chance I get I'm going to go and give it a try at GC. It would make a perfect recording amp for a home studio at that wattage.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
MattB

Quote:
Those pods are nice. I like the amp sims you did use though. For free it sounded great. It had all the warmth of an old school tube amp cranked up. The only way I could tell it was a sim and not the real thing was it just didn't have that sound like it was moving air if ya get what I'm saying. But other than that, the sim sounded spot on.

On another note, did you see where Ibanez came out with a 5w combo tube amp with the tube screamer overdrive circuit built in and an 8 inch Celestion speaker, for just $249 retail. First chance I get I'm going to go and give it a try at GC. It would make a perfect recording amp for a home studio at that wattage.
I haven't seen those Ibanez yet, sounds cool. I have two of their TS7 pedals, dirt cheap and they sound great! I also used a TS sim in my chain, and a LOT of EQ cutting to get some of the fizziness of the amp sim out of there.

I hate to say it, but I'm finally going to sell my tube amp (6505) and stick with the new POD. I just can't crank the amp as loud as I need it that often anymore, and micing it is a pain. I have the old PodFarm sims, but the new HD just owns it. (After much tweakage!)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm working on about three things I want to get down and record, so hopefully I can get something up soon.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
theronin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay J Garseeya View Post
I'm working on about three things I want to get down and record, so hopefully I can get something up soon.
YEAH BUDDY! Let's get some more uke up in this piece!