Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
redwave99

redwave99 has said some nice things
Default question on weight gain

my girlfriend is in the chubby range, like she has muffin top when she stands up and when she sits down it forms in to one large roll and one smaller one right on top on it. her father passed away when she was very young and he was very over weight and her mother is the same way. (250-270lbs) my girlfriends always was small and skinny and played sports but that was some years ago. now she has stopped sports and she didnt become over weight till she got in to 7th grade. when she is out she eats like she is watching her waist line but when shes home and her mom cooks, which in 70% of the time, she eats like her. adding tons of butter and oils and just eating a lot of food in general which explains why her mother is very overweight. so my question is what is the chances of her being bigger then her mom? shes 18, 5'8 and about 170lbs.
redwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I was around your age, guys kept warning each other ‘if you want to know what a girl will look like when she is older, check out her mother.’ Which seemed to make some sort of sense, she got half her genes from her mom, and mothers tend to set the culture of the house, which will have impacted her habits, so destiny would suggest that a young woman will mostly take after her mom, right?

But that is way too simplified. It ignores the marvellous diversity that suffling up a couple of sets of genes can create, and more crucially it ignores free will. I’ve known people with two thin, healthy-living, parents, who have been plump since they were toddlers, and likewise people with two fat parents who have always been ‘normal’ weight, which helps show the genetic diversity. I’ve also known people who were steadily gaining weight, then decided this couldn’t keep going on, changed their lifestyle substantially, stopped gaining, lost a chunk of the weight, and pretty much kept it off. Free will is a marvellous thing.

So for your girlfriend? No stranger can tell you. That she’s gotten somewhat chubby by 18 does suggest that she’s not easily going to be thin, and if she keeps up these same habits then sure, she’ll probably get fatter. But she’s 18, probably moving out on her own in the next several years, away from her Mom’s habits. She could decide to cook low fat vegetarian, or could start walking half an hour each way to school or work every day, or get hooked on spinning, or simply decided that given her Dad’s early demise she needs to take an all around healthier approach to life.

You might be able to guess how likely she is to make the effort to change her lifestyle, once she is away from her Mom, but you won’t know for sure.

Basically, when it comes to people, you never really know what is coming up around the curve.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
redwave99

redwave99 has said some nice things

thank you good sir! you information is greatly valued
redwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote