Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Exclamation Bluto as Feeder in Popeye 'Toon

http://youtu.be/HsI0i93eIJ0 Pretty late in Popeye's career but obviously one of those 'toons that Damaged my youth...
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
RVGleason

RVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this board

A favorite of mine too. Notice this is the first time the roles have been reversed, with Bluto actually being more kind and attentive to Olive while Popeye is being more pushy over what he wants.

RV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olive.JPG (44.0 KB, 862 views)
RVGleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
bobsjers

bobsjers has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGleason View Post
A favorite of mine too. Notice this is the first time the roles have been reversed, with Bluto actually being more kind and attentive to Olive while Popeye is being more pushy over what he wants.

RV
It's about time someone fattened Olive Oyl up.
bobsjers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Question Bluto as Misunderstood BHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGleason View Post

RV
yeah this is like the Secret Meaning peeking thru, and note that it's the early 60s when Size Acceptance was first bubbling up all over the media...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
knobby59

knobby59 can now change their title

Great stuff!
But well past the prime Popeye.
The cartoons the Fleisher Brothers made in the 30s are absolute classics.
Animation fans- check out anything on this list.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...eischer+popeye
knobby59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Noir

Noir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging inNoir makes people happy simply by logging in

Wow. I totally remember seeing this episode as a child on cartoon network around 2 in the morning. I had never seen it since and honestly thought I was dreaming at the time. I'm pretty sure this helped plant the feeding seed in me at a young age ha
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

A fat Olive Oyl...Neat! I honestly don't recall seeing this episode, as a youngster. Thanks for sharing this

I still like the Fleischer Bros Popeye episodes from the 30s more but this was still cute.

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)

Last edited by Still a Skye fan; 10-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby59 View Post
Great stuff!
Thanks for the links...I just watched "Goonland" for the first time in many years. Love those Fleischer Bros Popeye cartoons!

Dennis

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Stuffingkit

Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Stuffingkit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This is great!
Stuffingkit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Exclamation Upsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby59 View Post
Great stuff!
Dude I freelance for Fleischer Studios and ya spelled Fleischer wrong and I noted it's late in The Sailor's career
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
JASmith
Godless heathen

JASmith can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJASmith can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Bluto looks like he has a feeder, as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Marlayna

Marlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I always thought Bluto was sexier than Popeye.
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Thumbs up Duelling Boyfriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlayna View Post
I always thought Bluto was sexier than Popeye.
He's lust-crazed, certainly
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Paul Delacroix

Paul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
Bluto looks like he has a feeder, as well.
Well, this is "Brutus"--I don't think they ever explained it, but Bluto and Brutus do not seem to be the same character. Bluto is a sort of mesomorph, built like a beefy wrestler; Brutus is beefy, too, but fat. They look like they could be brothers, but not identical twins.

It's like the difference in 'Curly' and 'Curly Joe' from the Three Stooges. They have similar names but one is unique and funny, and the other is mediocre and unfunny. Of course, to be fair to Brutus, in the King Features Popeye shorts nobody was funny.

The one thing I always liked best about Bluto/Brutus was the voice, which always reminded me a little of Clark Gable.
Paul Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
RVGleason

RVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this boardRVGleason carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delacroix View Post
Well, this is "Brutus"--I don't think they ever explained it, but Bluto and Brutus do not seem to be the same character. Bluto is a sort of mesomorph, built like a beefy wrestler; Brutus is beefy, too, but fat. They look like they could be brothers, but not identical twins.

It's like the difference in 'Curly' and 'Curly Joe' from the Three Stooges. They have similar names but one is unique and funny, and the other is mediocre and unfunny. Of course, to be fair to Brutus, in the King Features Popeye shorts nobody was funny.

The one thing I always liked best about Bluto/Brutus was the voice, which always reminded me a little of Clark Gable.
It's for legal reasons there was a change in the name and character of Bluto/Brutus. All is explained in this link:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...luto-or-brutus

RV
RVGleason is offline   Reply With Quote