Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 12-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep
Default Christmas Dinner

I know it's a week away now, but I'm just curious what everyone's plans are for Christmas Dinner. It's always a big thing for us, and so we plan it all out weeks in advance. It also helps us save some money, as we pick up the essential goodies when they are on sale.

My family has three big feasts: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve. Here's what we're planning:

Christmas Eve (party)
  • Shrimp
  • Ginger-Soy cocktail sausages
  • Crudités
  • Cheese and Meat Tray
  • Various canapés
  • Olives
  • Petit fours
  • Truffles
  • Stollen and other Christmas baked sweets

Christmas Breakfast
  • Panettone French Toast

Christmas Dinner
  • Pecan Praline-Glazed Ham
  • Peas and Prosciutto
  • Sage Cornbread
  • German Potato Salad
  • Sparkling Wine
  • Christmas Pudding

New Year's Eve (party)
Same stuff as Christmas Eve, with added hot dishes:
  • Mini Ham & Cheese Frittatas
  • Ham & Cheese Puff Pastry Sandwiches
  • Latkes with Caviar
  • Lox & Cream Cheese Bites
bbwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Wow I want to be at your house sounds awesome

We have either pancakes or bacon and eggs (I do however miss the tradition of ham and home grown tomato's on toast that was from my childhood)

lots of diff salads like potato and coleslaw

Cold roast chicken and ham off the bone

and this year I am making prawn dumplings

I usually make cheesecake but now its just my nieces and I who eat it.

Lots of munchy stuff like chips, and carrot and cellery sticks with french onion dip, lollies and chocolates.

its a pretty cruisy kind of deal. Considering there is a whole 5 of us.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritangel View Post
We have either pancakes or bacon and eggs (I do however miss the tradition of ham and home grown tomato's on toast that was from my childhood)

lots of diff salads like potato and coleslaw

Cold roast chicken and ham off the bone

and this year I am making prawn dumplings

I usually make cheesecake but now its just my nieces and I who eat it.

Lots of munchy stuff like chips, and carrot and cellery sticks with french onion dip, lollies and chocolates.

its a pretty cruisy kind of deal. Considering there is a whole 5 of us.
I have always wondered how being in the other hemisphere would affect the Christmas dinner. Your meal sounds a bit more like our 4th of July celebrations in the U.S. Still, I know people that get absolutely sick of gingerbread cookies, "pumpkin spice" everything, and cranberries that would adore a simpler affair.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Christmas dinner will follow sacred tradition: it will be held at my in-laws' house, it will be said to occur at 12:30 pm, and it will actually occur at 12:50 because my brother-in-law George takes long showers. Approximately ten people will be present.

The menu will be equally traditional and staunchly middle-American. There will be:

(1) a ham,
(2) a turkey,
(3) stuffing,
(4) mashed potatoes,
(5) gravy,
(6) green bean casserole (the kind with French's fried onions on top),
(7) corn casserole,
(8) canned sweet potatoes with marshmallows melted on top,
(9) cranberry sauce, which nobody will eat, but it's traditional,
(10) every kind of dessert known to man, all slathered with either ice cream, or whipped cream, or both.

The fact that it is totally predictable does not decrease its goodness.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
The fact that it is totally predictable does not decrease its goodness.
Haha! I know how you feel (though "green bean casserole" is a cursed food item in my house. We're from Kentucky; we refuse to be lumped in with the Midwest). As far as I'm concerned, holidays are about tradition. It's comforting.

Now, if my grandmothers were still around to teach me the ways of yore, I'd be serving up chicken and dumplings, divinity, homemade mac n' cheese, and a lot of other starchy, sugary dishes meant to stretch the pot for my large extended family. Since they took most of "their" recipes to the grave, we took what we knew from them and added our own twist.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

All I can say is,I want to come to your house for that week!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwlibrarian View Post
I know it's a week away now, but I'm just curious what everyone's plans are for Christmas Dinner. It's always a big thing for us, and so we plan it all out weeks in advance. It also helps us save some money, as we pick up the essential goodies when they are on sale.

My family has three big feasts: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve. Here's what we're planning:

Christmas Eve (party)
  • Shrimp
  • Ginger-Soy cocktail sausages
  • Crudités
  • Cheese and Meat Tray
  • Various canapés
  • Olives
  • Petit fours
  • Truffles
  • Stollen and other Christmas baked sweets

Christmas Breakfast
  • Panettone French Toast

Christmas Dinner
  • Pecan Praline-Glazed Ham
  • Peas and Prosciutto
  • Sage Cornbread
  • German Potato Salad
  • Sparkling Wine
  • Christmas Pudding

New Year's Eve (party)
Same stuff as Christmas Eve, with added hot dishes:
  • Mini Ham & Cheese Frittatas
  • Ham & Cheese Puff Pastry Sandwiches
  • Latkes with Caviar
  • Lox & Cream Cheese Bites

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was just googling recipes for a vegan breakfast casserole. I'm thinking about that for breakfast.
We're doing really simple for this year. Enchiladas with homemade beans, cheese ball and maybe some spanish rice.
I'm going to make a cheesecake too.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm vegetarian so I'm having quorn for dinner again! The meat eaters are having lamb this year apparently. Screw the rules, we have lamb! Not sure what else is going on, potatoes of some sort. I don't eat meat or dairy and my mum and sister don't eat wheat/corn/grain so we always end up with something random!

We usually have a cooked breakfast on Christmas day and a cooked dinner of meat/meat substitute, veg, gravy and potatoes. Boxing day we have a cold tea of types of salad, cheese and cold meats/quorn... which invariably ends with me eating all the breadsticks and tomato/cucumber because lets face it, what else is there for a veggie to eat? =p And puddings galore of course! I'm having a friend round for Christmas for the first time this year and normally I'm really nervous about eating around other people but screw it now! I like eating and I am not ashamed!
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going on

Christmas morning:

- Cheesy sausage breakfast bake
- Vanilla-infused winter fruit salad

Christmas dinner:

- Rib roast
- Browned butter and sage mashed potatoes
- Cauliflower cheese
- Peas
- Dijon braised brussel sprouts
- Christmas pudding
- Hot chocolate cake
- An incredible amount of alcohol

Yep, I'm an American with a desperate wish to have a British Christmas!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

We usually have a lot to eat at my house for any holiday but for Christmas we make Prime Rib... usually along with: mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, bread pudding, apple/cherry & pumpkin pies, and biscuits or rolls, probably some other things I'm forgetting...
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Our Christmas tradition isn't dinner, it's breakfast.

yule kage (homemade)
patitsa (a homemade variation with almonds and almond paste)
silta (I'm not a fan of it, but my mom loves it and spends 3 days making what is actually a really good [don't tell her I said that] silta, if you like that kind of thing. I still don't eat it, though.)
scrambled eggs with seafood newberg
a fruit compote with grenadine
champagne

For the first time in my entire life we are breaking the tradition that's been in place for more than 70 years and getting together in the afternoon. The menu isn't firm, yet, but there's talk of a standing rib roast or a crown pork roast. I'm probably bringing hors d'oeuvre and a side dish. Likely wild Argentinian red shrimp with Louisiana-style remoulade, something wrapped in bacon, and something cheesy for my nephew.

Last edited by one2one; 12-20-2012 at 07:24 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I'm planning on making snow crab legs (real). I got a good deal on a small package at the grocery store and it's just me this year, so I can make whatever I want.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
I'm planning on making snow crab legs (real). I got a good deal on a small package at the grocery store and it's just me this year, so I can make whatever I want.
Sounds awesome!

It's better than making a "churkey" (stuffed chicken) or a Cornish hen.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
wild Argentinian red shrimp .
You mean there are TAME shrimp (now there's a job I could probably handle: shrimp tamer)? Or does the 'wild' refer to their disposition?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

So, Christmas dinner is soon to be kicked off with smoked salmon & blinis, served with Prosecco, followed by:
- roast turkey
- pigs in blankets
- roast potatoes
- homemade sage, onion & sausagemeat stuffing
- roast parsnips
- mashed carrot & turnip
- sprouts with crispy bacon & chestnuts
- cranberry sauce
- bread sauce
- gravy
which will be accompanied by some sort of red wine, not sure what my mum's got in.

Then we will eat christmas pudding with brandy sauce and drink coffee with tia maria, baileys or whisky in it and then we will waddle to the sofa to vegetate for the 3-4 hours until bedtime, by which time we will hopefully be capable of climbing the stairs.

Noms. Love xmas.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

YUM!

We had the turnips and carrots separately this year as some don't like them together but they always find themselves paired up on my plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
mashed carrot & turnip
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Our Christmas dinner was served on Christmas Eve this year as my newly married sister was expected at her inlaws today.

We had:

roast turkey
homemade stuffing with sausage
mashed potatoes
carrots
brussel sprouts
mashed turnip
homemade cranberry sauce
gravy
warm, soft buns

Tomorrow is my parent's Open House
So much food, chocolate and booze and can't type it all out. BRING IT.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
You mean there are TAME shrimp (now there's a job I could probably handle: shrimp tamer)? Or does the 'wild' refer to their disposition?
It's their Latin heritage.

Or ... They're naturally grown and harvested rather than farmed, just like fish caught in the wild instead of raised on fish farms.

I marinated them in cognac and sage, wrapped them in bacon and broiled them. I also made a feta, green olive and garlic spread and made caramelized shallots with portabella mushrooms and brandy to go with a mild, triple cream Brie and cranberry/pomegranate chutney for appetizers. We also had:

rack of lamb
crown pork roast
green beans with bacon
brussels sprouts
macaroni and cheese
garlic mashed potatoes
cranberry orange relish

chocolate almond torte
turtles
baklava
triple ginger cookies
dark chocolate covered marzipan
banana bread (my 20 yr. old nephew made it, which means we may have another budding foodie in the family! It's too soon to know for sure, but we're hopeful.)

Last edited by one2one; 12-25-2012 at 09:33 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2one View Post
I marinated them in cognac and sage, wrapped them in bacon and broiled them. I also made a feta, green olive and garlic spread and made caramelized shallots with portabella mushrooms and brandy to go with a mild, triple cream Brie and cranberry/pomegranate chutney for appetizers. We also had:

rack of lamb
crown pork roast
green beans with bacon
brussels sprouts
macaroni and cheese
garlic mashed potatoes
cranberry orange relish

chocolate almond torte
turtles
baklava
triple ginger cookies
dark chocolate covered marzipan
banana bread (my 20 yr. old nephew made it, which means we may have another budding foodie in the family! It's too soon to know for sure, but we're hopeful.)
Sounds amazing!