Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club
Default Gluten/Dairy Free Weight Gain recipies?

My partner Samantha, an unappologetic gainer in the past, has last almost 100 lbs in the last while because over time things like gluten (wheat) and milk (dairy, but not including eggs) have made her feel ill.

Cutting out gluten & dairy was hard, but she's feeling great again. However, it became very difficult for her to maintain her weight as a result of her diet restrictions.

She wants to get her weight back up, and I would like to help her. Can anyone recommend any really tasty, really fattening gluten & dairy free recipies, or sources for this kind of info?

Thanks,
Brenda
fatgirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

No recipes here per se, but one thing that we've learned from my wife's milk allergy is that most things that call for milk, you can cook with coconut milk. Taste is fine, and coconut is generally even higher in fat than normal milk. I don't think we've done cookies, but cream soups, pancakes or waffles, scalloped potatoes.....they've all come out well. (It is more expensive than regular milk, mind you).

Also, if she likes italian style pizzas--i.e. ones that are not all about loads of cheese, you can make a pretty good pizza crust out of potatoes. Cut thin potatoe disks (having a mandolin helps here), lightly coat them in olive oil, lay them on your cooking sheet a few layers deep, overlapping lots. Cook them lightly (don't bring them really brown....I forget the time, sorry), then let sit for a bit (the sitting is important, because it is at this point that the potatoes kind of bind together). Then top with whatever....say ground beef, bacon, black olives, and some hot peppers, and throw the whole thing back in the oven for a while. Then eat! oh, and like normal pizza....it is better the next day (and the 'crust' holds together better by then too).

I hope that this is of some help!

ETA: one more thought, I know that there are some regional cuisines that use oiled rice a lot, which will obviously be both more satisfying and more calorific than steamed rice. You can start with a basic rice pot meal...in a heavy pot that can go in the oven and has a well fitted lid, heat up several tablespoons of olive oil, and toss in a bit of saffron, some tumeric, maybe other spices that you like (curry, etc). Then put in a couple of cups of rice and stir it all around until the rice is well coated in oil. Optionally mix in some frozen peas at this step too. Add appropriate amounts of water for the rice and bring it to a boil and take off the heat. Then on top throw in some chicken or shellfish, then put it in the oven for an hour (or so....might have to check how the liquid has been soaked up--probably varies by pot, what you've added, etc). Comes out very rich and satisfying

But if you look at some of the Carribean rice dishes, southern indian, indonesian..... I'm sure you'd find plenty of filling rice options that are not so low fat.

Good luck to her, food restrictions are a right pain!

Last edited by Tad; 10-19-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Thanks for the tips, Tad! I have been substituting coconut milk in a lot of recipies, and it has been someone successful. Sugar helps, too but I am still looking for ideas!

Brenda
fatgirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

What kind of problem with dairy is it? Lactose intolerance or milk allergy? There is usually a section for gluten free or dairy free food in the health section in supermarkets and some of it can be fairly fattening like biscuits, chocolate and cakes etc. That's what the supermarkets are like where I live, it may not be the same for you. Checking out health food shops is also a good idea.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Most health food stores have products made for those with gluten and dairy allergies. You can also try learning how to make them yourself. There are tons of recipes online. There are a lot of dairy alternatives these days. Some taste better than others. It's all personal preference.

Don't forget chocolate. You can find dairy free versions in health food stores.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
MarcusQuinn

MarcusQuinn has said some nice things

As a gainer with Celiac Disease, I'd also love to hear any good gluten-free recipes.
MarcusQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

A good cook book for people with celiac disease is the one from the '4 Ingredients' series.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote