Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 10-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I Am Getting The Lap Band Surgery Next Year. Advice?

I am 38 years old, 5'6", and - at my last doctor's appointment - 419lbs. I have a number of co-morbidities ( type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and extreme osteoarthritis because of all the weight I have to carry around) and I'm getting the surgery for one simple reason...I don't want to die.
My insurance has already approved the cost of the surgery - once I see a gastroenterologist. My primary care physician has made a deal with me (and I think it's quite fair) that, if I can lose 50lbs on my own within the next year, he'll give me the referral that I need. I think that it's fair because I know that there is a lot of dedication to proper nutrition required post-op so I need to show that I have that dedication beforehand.
I looked into other forms of WLS and only feel comfortable with the lap band. The lap band can be removed if something goes wrong, but the part of your stomach that was removed in a classic gastric bypass can never be put back if there's a problem. My cousin almost died after she had gastric bypass because the little pouch of stomach she had left developed an ulcer and she almost bled to death.
I'm not looking for criticism about my choice...I'm looking for advice from post-op lab band people who can tell me what to expect.
Thank you.
CAMellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice or experience with WLS I can offer, but I wanted to wish you well in the whole journey. I hope it brings you the improved health you're seeking with little complication and worry.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!CAMellie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
I'm sorry I don't have any advice or experience with WLS I can offer, but I wanted to wish you well in the whole journey. I hope it brings you the improved health you're seeking with little complication and worry.
Thank you, Laura! I really appreciate that.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm with Laura on wishing your good luck and good health in this serious decision your making for your own life. I agree with you and your dr about the 50 lbs....and it makes me think that your dr takes it all seriously instead of just telling you to "cut up your body" because he/she doesn't like fat people.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
CAMellie
Gabriel Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
I'm with Laura on wishing your good luck and good health in this serious decision your making for your own life. I agree with you and your dr about the 50 lbs....and it makes me think that your dr takes it all seriously instead of just telling you to "cut up your body" because he/she doesn't like fat people.
Thanks, love! I agree with you about my doc.

P.S. *licks your eyebrows*
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
adasiyan

adasiyan does more than just post hot picsadasiyan does more than just post hot picsadasiyan does more than just post hot pics

I just had my lapband put in last friday (29th) and am currently in the recovery phase... stuck on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and am desperately craving something chewable to eat lol.
msg me if you like and i'll keep you posted with how i go and any problems i come across.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't have a lap band but have had wls. My best advice is to follow everything the doctor tells you to do and keep with all your follow ups. I didn't do that and was not very successful.

Good luck!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I did it 5 years ago and it did not live up to my expectations. After the first few months it was just like being on a diet, all self control. Many foods would get stuck and most of the healthy ones were impossible to eat. I still have a lot of problems eating but yet managed to gain half the weight back.

On one hand I was gaining so maybe it was worth it because I did not continue that trend on the other hand I had a modest weight loss goal I did not even get close to.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Good luck with your lap band. I had a VSG 2.5 years ago, so I can't give you any information about the lap band surgery. There is one thing that applies to all forms of weight loss surgery: Don't think of it as a magic carpet ride, because it's not. It's work.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have had my lapband for nearly four years.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have if you want to PM me.

Susannah
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I did it 5 years ago and it did not live up to my expectations. After the first few months it was just like being on a diet, all self control. Many foods would get stuck and most of the healthy ones were impossible to eat. I still have a lot of problems eating but yet managed to gain half the weight back.

On one hand I was gaining so maybe it was worth it because I did not continue that trend on the other hand I had a modest weight loss goal I did not even get close to.
My experience has been similar Brenda. I have gained all my weight back.

I would like to have my band out, but my neurologist will not give his permission to have it removed.
Without the permission from my neurologist, my surgeon will not remove it.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
bonified
cannabis connoisseur

bonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 club

Similar situation except i was way heavier at 268 kilos 5'11. I didn't have diabetes, high blood presh or high cholesterol. I don't take any medications as i believe a joint & a cup of tea or a huge drink of water usually fixes most ailments.
I eat very well, mostly naturally unprocessed foods, or stuff that was around 100 years ago just the quantity is an issue. I did however have mild sleep apnoea and a 12 kilo lipoma on the inside of my thigh that was growing for 4 years til it reached that stage & no one would operate as the dangers associated with possible infection in the location etc, it was as big as a basketball - lol my lady lump.

Anyway, they offered me the lap band for free & I thought it was going to be a miracle, in denial i was. I went on the shakes and dropped 26 kilos in 2 months pre surgery like a nazi, i wanted it so bad, I was depressed and all the things associated with being nearly about to give up. I wish i knew of this site then.

The initial surgery was fine, i was back at work in 2 days, no dramas, but it really is a forced way of not being able to eat, akin to having your jaw wired, you vomit everything you don't chew properly, even scrambled eggs and don't ever eat cabbage, the gas stuck inside will hurt like a bitch for days.

You gotta learn to chew every bite like 50x or yr gonna hurl, the enamel off your teeth can be affected from all the vomiting, if you don't get a juicer & drink all the nutrients you possibly can, then your hair & skin will get dry & even fall out. Eat lots of avocados, the fats you will need more than you know.

I was dissapointed but so angry that it wasn't the be all (for me) I felt hollow and empty & wasn't really losing much as i was drinking bacardi slushies in the pool most days, it quitened the hunger. But then i snapped & i was so pissed off, ready to fight, so I took my self to the gym at 220kilos and haven't looked back.

I had the band undone after a spell where i had very bad heartburn & was waking up with rather sexy projecticle reflux. I was unable to even hold down water for about 3 days. I was sick of not being able to eat, I looked gaunt in the face and had no energy, hair was wiry and dry flaky skin & fuck when you obviously love food so much what is left when you cant eat, even tho its a vicious cycle, i do believe in all honesty, you just have to find the balance where you love food as much as you love excercise.
It is hard, especially when you ache, but it takes about 3 weeks after the initial shock and you'd be suprised how magnificent and resilient the body really is, you adapt and you see change and like a born again christian I will preach it lol

Surgery or no surgery, you still gotta move it or lose it. I wish you all the best, it was def the catalyst for my life change albeit a rather drastic one, but no regrets, none at all.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think it's so important, when considering any WLS, to be very clear on the kind of follow up care that you will need, and what you can expect from your surgeon. I know several people who have had the band, and the ones with good follow up, who had access to people to adjust their band, did very well. Those who did not either didn't lose weight because they never had appropriate restriction, or got quite ill.

It is never considered normal to vomit to the point of damaging your teeth after a lap band is placed. Vomiting is dangerous, both to the body systemically, and to the band, because it can cause it to slip out of place, either leading to more vomiting or lack of restriction, depending on how it becomes misplaced.

I would encourage anyone who has intractable vomiting as has been described by some in this thread to go get follow up evaluation because it is not normal. This just illustrates so clearly the necessity for good follow up, because either it's an issue with the band, or it's an issue with the type of food you are eating, or both.

As for not being able to eat certain foods like cabbage, I've heard of widely varying food tolerances in my friends who have had the band. One or two can't tolerate certain breads. One can eat anything she wants. All of them have to chew more carefully to avoid food getting stuck but having eaten out with them, they don't chew that much more than the average person, to the point where it's in any way noticeable. So it's not as though they have to spend 20 minutes chewing each bite. I've never seen that in ANY WLS patient, and I know a lot of them.

I am a post-WLS patient (RNY not Lap Band) and I heard all kinds of horror stories about how I'll "never ever be able to eat [insert food here]" and let me tell you that in my case it is just not true. I eat pasta (in small amounts -- it fills me quite quickly), meat, rice, even beef jerky. Raw broccoli hurts my stomach but it did that prior to WLS too. I can even eat sweets in small amounts. I've lost 140 pounds and kept it all off except 20, which crept back on when I became hypothyroid after thyroid cancer and the loss of my thyroid. Bu now that I'm mostly back to normal, I'm working to get the weight back off. But keep in mind, it is work.

It's just so important to keep in mind that each person's response to WLS is different, in part because of their unique biology, and in part because of how the surgery is performed. There are no absolutes, other than that it's the kind of tool that you have to work with, and not expect to do the work for you.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #14
kentwildt

kentwildt can now change their title

Enjoy your Christmas Holidays, your diet will drastically change.
kentwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentwildt View Post
Enjoy your Christmas Holidays, your diet will drastically change.
Have you had the surgery, Kent?
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Have you had the surgery, Kent?
Aye, there's the rub, innit?

I had a different (though similar) surgery and have many friends who have had the lap band and their responses are each so different. But most of them can eat most things, as long as they're careful.

As for changes in diet... that's kinda what the surgery is for, isn't it? My diet has changed, but not drastically. I can still enjoy food, just not as much of it. But what has changed is my life -- for the better, because I have more energy and stamina. And I still (apparently) have curves to spare.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
phatfatgirl

phatfatgirl is a member of the 500 clubphatfatgirl is a member of the 500 clubphatfatgirl is a member of the 500 clubphatfatgirl is a member of the 500 clubphatfatgirl is a member of the 500 clubphatfatgirl is a member of the 500 club

Hello CAMellie..
Was just reading this thread and had to respond. So many positive posts. I'm a yo yo dieter and have been all my life. I've yo yoed between 360lbs and 300 lbs for the past couple of years. My doctor, after plenty of ups and downs from diet pills to other methods, mentioned for the umpteenth time how I'd be the perfect candidate for the surgery. I've always kinda brushed him off, but now as I'm getting older, i've noticed it's getting harder for me to carry my weight. I've had difficulty breathing while laying in bed. Which is a scary feeling. I also have asthma.. forgot to mention that. And this episode got me seriously thinking about the lapband procedure. It's been very informative reading about everyones experiences and I'd love to read more. Good luck Cam!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #18
WomanlyHips
..Seen Lust, Seen Love...

WomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this boardWomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this boardWomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this boardWomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this boardWomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this boardWomanlyHips carries a lot of weight on this board

I'd say learn all you can about the surgery before you have it done, be informed of what changes are going to be occuring within your body, physically and emotionally.

I had it done and have lost about 140lbs and kept it off, but not without cost to my body and my emotional state.

It's not the easy fix our doctors want to make us believe it is. Anyway-anyway, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any specific questions and the best of luck to you.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
Shosh
Susannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WomanlyHips View Post
I'd say learn all you can about the surgery before you have it done, be informed of what changes are going to be occuring within your body, physically and emotionally.

I had it done and have lost about 140lbs and kept it off, but not without cost to my body and my emotional state.

It's not the easy fix our doctors want to make us believe it is. Anyway-anyway, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any specific questions and the best of luck to you.
Agreed. People need to think very carefully before having a lap band inserted.
I never anticipated the emotional upheaval that I would experience when I lost the weight.

I had been a fat girl for so long, and I did not know how to interact with the world as a thin woman.
It caused me so much anguish and emotional pain, insecurity and so on.
I have also suffered a lot of physical pain and side effects over the years with it as well.

Everybody has to make their own decision about whether to have it or not, and I respect that, I just think those contemplating having a lap band need to be very sure that they are willing to take on all that it entails.

I have had mine for more than four years, and I am having it removed in a weeks time.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
plumplin3009

plumplin3009 can now change their title
Default I am a year and half out from Lap band surgery

Hi. I have had lap band surgery and I have lost 142 lbs. in the past 18 months. I have had very little in the way of problems. The weight loss is slow and steady, although like with any diet, there are plateaus along the way. I started out at 389. For me at age 54, it was starting to cause health issues, although I didn't have any co-morbities. Aches, pains, and tiredness were not compatable with my active lifestyle anymore. I decided to lose a little to make me feel more like I used to.

Lapband is not like the surgery that cuts and removes parts of your body. the device is placed in using small incisions similar to gall bladder surgery. The recovery time is minimal. I was overnight in the hospital then back up and running the next day. I was back teaching 3 days later.

Its not the easy way out by any means! Believe me you have to make changes in your lifestyle and eating habits, but its a less drastic approach to losing weight. there is no destruction of organs and it is fully reversable. That is what drew me to the procedure.

I am still a fat girl at heart, and I love feeding others. I just don't indulge as much as I used to. The weight is falling off all over slowly, and I am now down to what I weighed in High School. For an old broad who had 6 kids, the body is not the same as highschool, but I am lighter than I have been. I loved gaining and being a big girl! Loved it all, but reality has set in and the changes I have made are positive.

If I don't lose another pound, I won't complain. If I gain weight again, I won't panic. I am just happy with the little changes that have been made. PLUS---I got a new wardrobe!!! that is a great plus!!!
plumplin3009 is offline   Reply With Quote