Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Study disputes long-term medical savings from bariatric surgery

On February 20, 2013, the LA Times ran this article: "Study disputes long-term medical savings from bariatric surgery"
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

I don't think medical savings is the "be all, end all" standard by which "success" should be determined. Quality of life, would be first on my list of benefits. Having been married for many years to someone who underwent an early version of the "gastric-bypass" surgeries. There were lots of issues that came with the surgery, they had no idea about at the time. The long term effects including poor vitamin and mineral absorption, have great impact on one's overall health and well being.

Today they know much more about the long term "side effects", surgical techniques are better, and there are newer "appliances" such as the lap band. .I still think everyone has to decide where the comfort level in their skin is. You should look at the hows and why's of changing lifestyle for better health. It's a very personal matter, and each individual has different needs and goals. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveller View Post
There were lots of issues that came with the surgery, they had no idea about at the time. The long term effects including poor vitamin and mineral absorption, have great impact on one's overall health and well being.

Today they know much more about the long term "side effects", surgical techniques are better, and there are newer "appliances" such as the lap band.
Yet with that knowledge, some current generation patients still don't seem to understand the full implications of the vitamin malabsorbtion issue.

I occassionally talk with a guy at work who had an RNY a couple of years ago. He had an amazingly short honeymoon phase and has rebounded close to his pre-op weight. A week ago he was commenting to me about having trouble with weakness in his muscles, his legs feeling rubbery, numbness in his hands and feet. I asked him about his vitamin intake, specifically B12. He said he had stopped getting his shots about four months ago and just started relying on a multi-vitamin since it had B12 in it. I was stunned - and scared for him. I pleaded with him to go to a nearby pharmacy after work and get sublingual B12 AND make an appointment with his doctor and tell him/her what he'd done and the symptoms he had told me about. I had to explain to him why his multi-vitamins with B12 couldn't do him much good due to his surgery. He should have remembered that information!

I had thought he would have been sharp enough to not do something like this but I was wrong. He's the third person I personally know of that has run afoul of the B12 deficiency issue. One of them has lasting effects and now moves with the unsteady gait of someone much older, talks more slowly and has memory issues. I doubt she will ever get much better.

I'll have to check with the guy at work this week and see how his B12 issue turned out for him.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote