Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep
Default International consistency

So I have been in Australia for awhile now...but I am from the US. Most things are VERY different...even things that are meant to be the same. However, today my boss bought me some Subway and I got a...okay three...macadamia white chocolate chip cookie(s) and realised they taste EXACTLY like the ones from home. This makes me very happy!
ecogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Would you describe some of the differences between supposedly similar foods in the two countries?

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecogeek View Post
So I have been in Australia for awhile now...but I am from the US. Most things are VERY different...even things that are meant to be the same. However, today my boss bought me some Subway and I got a...okay three...macadamia white chocolate chip cookie(s) and realised they taste EXACTLY like the ones from home. This makes me very happy!
An executive from McDonald's once told me that their goal is for their cheeseburger in Des Moines to look and taste exactly the same as their cheeseburger in Shanghai. They may not always reach their goals, but homogeneity is important to food chains.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep

Hmm, I don't eat out much. Iced coffee here is coffee with no sugar, but a few scoops of ice cream. As opposed to back home where it is coffee sweetened to taste with ice. Here a milkshake is just flavored milk. The list sort of goes on and things in general TASTE different. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of high fructose corn syrup in things here (even the sweet corn isn't nearly as sweet...) and other various factors. It just surprises me that these cookies taste exactly the same as the ones from home. Not complaining at all, I just found it interesting and since I was cramming my face with cookies thought I should talk about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
ecogeek

That would make sense, in marketing etc. I don't eat fast food in general so I don't have much to compare with but generally make an exception for Subway. I used to, but just cannot deal with the sick feeling involved anymore. However, after those cookies I am having a bit of that feeling. lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
An executive from McDonald's once told me that their goal is for their cheeseburger in Des Moines to look and taste exactly the same as their cheeseburger in Shanghai. They may not always reach their goals, but homogeneity is important to food chains.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Hmm, I don't eat out much. Iced coffee here is coffee with no sugar, but a few scoops of ice cream. As opposed to back home where it is coffee sweetened to taste with ice. Here a milkshake is just flavored milk. The list sort of goes on and things in general TASTE different. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of high fructose corn syrup in things here (even the sweet corn isn't nearly as sweet...) and other various factors. It just surprises me that these cookies taste exactly the same as the ones from home. Not complaining at all, I just found it interesting and since I was cramming my face with cookies thought I should talk about it.
A milkshake should have milk, ice cream, and a shot of flavouring in it. A thickshake has more ice cream. I haven't come across places that just flavour the milk and try to pass it off as a milkshake.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

My biggest surprise when I was there was the Burger King hamburger with the pineapple slice on it..Never could wrap my head around that..I think McDonalds did that as well..We would order pizza and it was good but it did not have the pizza sauce on it,it had meat and cheese on the dough but no sauce..The KFC was kind of strange as well,the crispy was not as crispy as what I was use to..I don't think they cooked it in the same type of oil we do or maybe it was the breading that was off..It was never the same to me..

I loved the fact they did not use the corn syrup in everything they had canned! I had forgotten what food tasted like until I got there..I loved the flake we ate as well..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
ecogeek

Sorry yes, there IS ice cream in milkshakes here but its generally melted off. Shakes back home you can barely suck through a straw.

Like I said, not at all bad mouthing the way things are done here, I prefer it in about 98% of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
A milkshake should have milk, ice cream, and a shot of flavouring in it. A thickshake has more ice cream. I haven't come across places that just flavour the milk and try to pass it off as a milkshake.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Sorry yes, there IS ice cream in milkshakes here but its generally melted off. Shakes back home you can barely suck through a straw.

Like I said, not at all bad mouthing the way things are done here, I prefer it in about 98% of things.
Thickshakes are the ones that are thick like that, where you have to work to get it through the straw.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
Would you describe some of the differences between supposedly similar foods in the two countries?
From my international traveling experience, I've actually noticed more differences than consistencies in the tastes and textures of by name, producer and description identical products.

McDonalds chocolate shakes definitely taste a lot more like powder and less like chocolate in the US than in Europe. On the burgers the pickles are saltier and crisper (not sweet pickles) in Europe and the buns on the continent are less cotton-wooly, more substantial. In some European countries, curry is added to plain ketchup as standard (uggh!).

Huge differences - and Coca Cola admits to it - are to be found in the mixtures for the various types of coke on sale according to the country. French coke with lime actually is pretty good ice cold - whereas the US version tastes like an entire chemical plant.

The list could be extended significantly.

Many global franchisers/fast food chains also specifically cater to local taste and demand by offering products targeted to certain markets. Like in Greece you get a typical Greek salad as standard at McDonalds, or they have a burger with Feta cheese.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I haven't come across places that just flavour the milk and try to pass it off as a milkshake.
The only place that's happened to me was in Boston. There, you have to order a "frappe" to get what the rest of the country calls a milkshake. If you order a "milkshake" you get a glass of milk, shaken up.*

*You used to, anyway. I haven't been to Boston in years, so they may have dropped this eccentricity. In a way, though, I hope they haven't.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
ecogeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
From my international traveling experience, I've actually noticed more differences than consistencies in the tastes and textures of by name, producer and description identical products.
I completely agree with this. Which is why I am so surprised by Subway cookies tasting exactly the same.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One of the main reasons I love traveling...to taste something different! I know there are lots of people who want the comfort of the same food everywhere, but I'm not one of them. It makes me kind of sad to see KFC in Paris, for instance. I do understand though, when you're an expat, you do at times long for the tastes of home.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #14
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I completely agree with this. Which is why I am so surprised by Subway cookies tasting exactly the same.
Ok Have you tried Lammingtons yet? not the supermarket kind trust me on that you need to find a great bakery

meat pies is another one that you should try from a bakery

pavlova, jaffas, fantales, minties there is a long list of things you should try oh anything musk like sticks and lifesaves, fruit tingles oh and smarties cause what we call smarties is totally different to what you call smarties I cant remember what we call the lollies you call smarties
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
ecogeek

I have been here about eight years now and am now officially a citizen YAY! I have had all of those things. I hate musk though! YUCK! I love a great lammington and had NEVER had pavlova til I moved here. I could seriously eat that until the end of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritangel View Post
Ok Have you tried Lammingtons yet? not the supermarket kind trust me on that you need to find a great bakery

meat pies is another one that you should try from a bakery

pavlova, jaffas, fantales, minties there is a long list of things you should try oh anything musk like sticks and lifesaves, fruit tingles oh and smarties cause what we call smarties is totally different to what you call smarties I cant remember what we call the lollies you call smarties
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #16
spiritangel
AmandaClause

spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!spiritangel keeps pushing the rep limit!

Awesome

yeah musk isnt for everyone but I have always loved musk sticks and the little musk pellet things from Darrel Lea

Pav is awesome but I rarely get to have it. Wonder if You sent someone the mix from pavlova magic and the instructions if it would get confiscated as its a white powder lol

I had no idea that we used less high fructose corn syrup.

As for our corn being less sweet I have notice if you bbq it or put it in foil with some water in the oven it comes out a lot nicer. I seem to remember corn having more flavour when I was growing up but usually does when its in season you can always tell when its in season as its usually pretty cheap per cob.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritangel View Post
Awesome

I seem to remember corn having more flavour when I was growing up.

It did. As we get older, our sense of taste atrophies. This is why young children usually don't like foods with strong or very complex tastes: it's just too overwhelming for them.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
ecogeek

I have sent those magic egg pavlova things to the US without a worry. :-)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #19
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

There is a bakery near where I live which is owned by an aussie ex-pat, and while he is generally pretty bad at the whole running a small business thing, he did teach his bakers how to make lamingtons. They are one of the place’s consistent sellers, some aussies and kiwis come by specifically for them, and periodically they’ll get an order for like 100 half-lamingtons from the Australian embassy for some party. From which I assume that they are at least decent. But with all that you’ve written, I now have another thing on my to-do list if I ever get down under is try a lamington there, and see how similar or different they are.