Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > FA/FFA forum

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #76
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswitch View Post
Aw, I was only playing w. you Lilly.. *hugs*
Also, that was a really interesting post re. your bro. vs. his teacher's shawl...

@everyone - so far in thread - looks like FAness doesn't = Aspy, but Aspy may be more likely to be FA.. Agree? Y/N
Thanks Joswitch. And since we're keeping records anyway, my brother is not an FA in any sense. He is bisexual though.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #77
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joswitch View Post
@everyone - so far in thread - looks like FAness doesn't = Aspy, but Aspy may be more likely to be FA.. Agree? Y/N
I disagree.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #78
bonified
cannabis connoisseur

bonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 clubbonified is a member of the 500 club

From my experience, it seems the more askew mentally types are eccentric if they're rather well off financially and the less so, get labelled with some shit or another.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #79
Jack Secret
tickle my amygdala

Jack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions community

If I understand you right it seems like you are articulating the difference between a soldier being a hero or a fool. The only difference is whether they win an award or get shot.

(It it sounded like I was ragging on soldiers that wasn't my intention)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonified View Post
From my experience, it seems the more askew mentally types are eccentric if they're rather well off financially and the less so, get labelled with some shit or another.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #80
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed

One on this site called HappyFatGirl which suddenly went dark at the end of last year, I was challenging this one guy who called himself Kyle about his "pray away the FA" stance. I mean he had a signature which said "The beauty of a BBW is bested only by her {something or other}", but when called on his attempts to draft the members into a weight loss program he started calling fatness "physically unacceptable". He claimed that discrimination couldn't possibly happen upon fat people because they're the majority. When I countered that he might consult with Steve Biko's ghost for further information, we went at it and at one point his clever retort of the day was to ask me if I ha mild Asperger's syndrome. It was all I could do to keep from replying, "Or are you just mildly monotonous?"
Elfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #81
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfcat View Post
One on this site called HappyFatGirl which suddenly went dark at the end of last year, I was challenging this one guy who called himself Kyle about his "pray away the FA" stance. I mean he had a signature which said "The beauty of a BBW is bested only by her {something or other}", but when called on his attempts to draft the members into a weight loss program he started calling fatness "physically unacceptable". He claimed that discrimination couldn't possibly happen upon fat people because they're the majority. When I countered that he might consult with Steve Biko's ghost for further information, we went at it and at one point his clever retort of the day was to ask me if I ha mild Asperger's syndrome. It was all I could do to keep from replying, "Or are you just mildly monotonous?"
non-sequiter--there are many people who are attracted to fat people and are repulsed by that attraction and try to suppress it and are even very hostile to fat people. We all have our anecdotes. Hell, there are many fat people who are repulsed by their own bodies and other fat people. My point is, that it doesn't surprise me at all that someone would change their 'party affiliation' to justify their conflicting thought processes and then attack anyone who threatens their stance du jour.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #82
Jack Secret
tickle my amygdala

Jack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJack Secret is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The fat equivalent of something I heard of in the gay communityÖ "A fag hating faggot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
non-sequiter--there are many people who are attracted to fat people and are repulsed by that attraction and try to suppress it and are even very hostile to fat people. We all have our anecdotes. Hell, there are many fat people who are repulsed by their own bodies and other fat people. My point is, that it doesn't surprise me at all that someone would change their 'party affiliation' to justify their conflicting thought processes and then attack anyone who threatens their stance du jour.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #83
Bananaspills

Bananaspills is a member of the 500 clubBananaspills is a member of the 500 clubBananaspills is a member of the 500 clubBananaspills is a member of the 500 clubBananaspills is a member of the 500 clubBananaspills is a member of the 500 club

I don't have anything very useful to say, but I love reading this thread... Especially the input by all the Aspies. My little boy has Asperger's and I wouldn't change it, I like that he's different and how quirky it makes him. (Granted, if he was more strongly affected I might feel differently, I don't know...)
Also, he's only 5 but yeah my DH and I joke he's a FA in the making, because he loves running into me and bouncing off my butt, and also stroking my arms to settle himself (not his dad's more muscular arms, just my chubby ones.) He does have some problems with eye contact, but he has always been tactile and cuddly.
I forgot to mention my DH is also a FA (he always prefered bigger women and doesn't tend to find thin women attractive, from what he's told me) and although he was never diagnosed he believes he has some degree of Asperger's, and that our son got it from him. There's my totally worthless anecdote of the day
Bananaspills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #84
Ernest Nagel
is old

Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!Ernest Nagel keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm not sure we'll ever have enough data to support or disprove correlation but there's something I'm willing to speculate on. Maybe it's just a resonance based on shared experience? Aspy's and BBW both understand what it's like to be judged/excluded solely because of superficial characteristics. We're both books that are often judged by our covers. Maybe for that simple reason we're a little more willing to take the time to see below the surface?

I've also discovered that a disproportionate percentage of BBW have a profound and radiant inner beauty. Not to say that conventionally beautiful women can't have bright souls or that BBW can't be bitches to the core but my experience favors BBW. I freely admit my bias, of course.

The heart still wants what the heart wants, though. That said, only BBW have taken the time to see past my coarse and awkward surface to the almost decent, randomly funny and occasionally sweet guy underneath. You could say they're less picky but I choose to think of them as more discerning and less judgmental.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #85
Aspendos

Aspendos has said some nice things

I was diagnosed with Asperger's only this week and am a fat gay man (bear type, 180 kilo). I happened across this thread because I'm looking to meet gay FAs who don't mind my Asperger's (i.e. who might have Asperger's themselves).

Anyone interested, please PM me.
Aspendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #86
EverybodysDracula

EverybodysDracula has said some nice things

I kinda dropped off the map from last year when I was about to post in this thread but it's worth mentioning I have Asperger's and I recall a time when Aspies got railroaded off the internet's forums if one dared to mention you had this condition people assumed did not exist, but this place seems safe enough so yeah.

I know some autistic spectrum types hate tactile stuff and cuddling but I've always liked tactile cuddly stuff but so far have had no opportunity to explore my sense of FA self other than the fact that my attraction to plump women I can cuddle into like awesome lady teddy bears (I apologise if this seems weird or sexist, I just love cuddly plump women who love being cuddled since most of my life I've not been in a family of huggers apart from my mother).

I get worried I won't ever find the right person especially in Australia where the dating pool is a bit weird due to a smaller population. I just wouldn't know where to meet a nice BBW who'd let me snuggle up to her and smooch her. My friends drag me out to night clubs sometimes but I have a very strong reaction to loud club music that makes me want to flee the vicinity like I'm Malcolm McDowell fleeing Beethoven's 9th, only in this case the music isn't that good so I'm okay with not liking it.

I'm very, very new to grappling with my FA status since I'm very inexperienced with dating women at all, haven't had a girlfriend yet and both times I asked out a BBW girl in high school out on a date I was both rejected by them and laughed at by my classmates. I can't really say I'm bitter about women because in order to be bitter about women you have to go through a number of break ups like my twin brother did, he's in a relationship now but the way he depicts commitment in the way he talks about his relationships I get the feeling that my twin brother is giving me horrible advice about how life works based on his horrendously corrupting college experience in Queensland, whereas I ended up studying close to home with my parents in Sydney. I'm just green enough to be full of innocence and wonder about romance but also beaten down enough times to be terrified of trying to ask anyone out, BBW or not.
EverybodysDracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #87
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hasn't Asperger's been removed from the DSM?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #88
Aspendos

Aspendos has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvine View Post
Hasn't Asperger's been removed from the DSM?
Not everyone lives in the United States. In other countries the ICD-10 of the World Health Organization is used and Asperger's has not been removed from that manual. Also, everyone diagnosed with Asperger's in the US keeps their diagnosis until they are re-assessed, when in most cases they will get a new diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder instead.
Aspendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #89
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

And interestingly enough, just as it was removed from the DSM, this study came out of Harvard Medical school: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23902729

It compared neurotypical kids, kids with diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, and those with a diagnosis of autism. It built on a previous study which had found differences in connectedness of certain parts of the brains between neurotypical and autistic kids. When you compare the Aspergerís kids in those same ways, they look more like the autistic kids than the neurotypical kids, so in that way you could say that Aspergerís is mild Autism.

However, when they look in more detail at the Aspergerís kids versus the Autistic kids, they found some clear differences, and that with high confidence level they could distinguish the brains of the kids with an Aspergerís diagnosis from those with an Autism one. That there is a clear and measurable difference implies that they are not really the same thing, and that those diagnoses had a real validity to them. (It doesnít show up in the summary that I linked to, but if you read the whole thing they find that there is one measure where there is even less connectedness in the Aspergerís kids, but that in another they have a very high level of connectedness, suggesting possibly a compensating mechanism where they make up for challenges in some areas by building on a strength in another)

Given which, I wonder how many professionals in the field will resist changing an Aspergerís diagnosis to an Autism one, at least for anything other than insurance or other official purposes that require a DSM category?

(Thanks to Dromond, I think it was, who had linked to this study in a post elsewhere on the boards)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #90
Oldtimer76
Returned

Oldtimer76 carries a lot of weight on this boardOldtimer76 carries a lot of weight on this boardOldtimer76 carries a lot of weight on this boardOldtimer76 carries a lot of weight on this boardOldtimer76 carries a lot of weight on this board

Hello all, I hope this link will work: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ghlight=autism
The topic was started by Arrhythmia back in 2007 and it's called April is Autism Awareness Month. We came to the conclusion that Autism and asperger were related in some way to fat admiration.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #91
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hey Gourneau, I'm glad that you made at least some sort of connection to help, by the sounds of it.

I would assume that there must be some Asperger support forums out there? (I don't know, but it is the net, what isn't out there somewhere?). Could be worth searching for, as you may find more people who have been where you are and have advise that might better fit your life. Not that there aren't some aspies here, but I think it is kind of a limited pool? Also people who will offer good wishes, of course, but without understanding what it is like to be in your head, it is hard to offer advice about what might help, I think?

Anyway, best of luck, and keep working on improving the situation. Sometimes it is amazing where we can get, if we can just keep putting one foot in front of the other (figuratively speaking, although I suppose literally too).
Old 12-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #92
adam

adam can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesadam can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I wasn't diagnosed with high functioning asperger's until I was well into my 40's, but a lot of things I couldn't understand throughout my life now make sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #93
TwoSwords

TwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default The Facts...

ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) is a classification of neurological conditions, related to the structure of the human brain, and is therefore a legitimate medical condition that can be diagnosed, but, because it involves the structure of the brain, it cannot and will not be "cured." ASD is also an umbrella term for five sub-conditions, formerly referred to as "Autism," "Asperger's Syndrome," "Disintegrative Childhood Disorder," "Rett Syndrome" and "Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified." Because all of these conditions are so similar, and draw their symptoms from the same overall pool, the current consensus is that these conditions should no longer be separated, which is why they're often referred to as "Autism Spectrum Disorder" or "ASD."

Now, the reason why I say that ASD has a "pool" of symptoms, is that the symptoms of ASD can actually be contrary to each other, from being unable to comprehend the emotions of others, to being overly-sympathetic to others' emotions. For this reason, it's impossible for anyone to have *all* of the symptoms in the ASD pool, though some will have more than others, and some with have some symptoms more strongly than others do.

The link between ASD and sexuality is not at all well understood, but we do know that there is a correlation between ASD and non-standard feelings of attraction. Some feel attraction very early, some very late, some not at all, some to things that others can't appreciate, etc, and that's where the FA link comes in.

Now, it's possible that some of those with ASD have something in their brains, which forces them to react only or mainly to certain stimuli as attractive. It's also possible that many more people have these feelings, but that those with ASD, already being social outcasts in other areas, are less concerned with the social ramifications of expressing this aspect of themselves openly. We don't know what the precise link is yet, because the human brain is still strange and uncharted to a large degree.

So there you go. Ultimately, the answer is... there is a connection, but we don't really know what it is yet.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #94
fatgrllvr

fatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this boardfatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this boardfatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this boardfatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this boardfatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this boardfatgrllvr carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Asperger's and FAs

I've been an FA since sexuality first smacked me upside the head at age 11. Recently (about one hundred years later), I've learned that I'm also an aspie. The latter discovery has explained many things I've never understood about myself.

I'm not sure if my Asperger's explains my being an FA (which I prefer to attribute to good taste), but I guess there could be a connection. It does seem like there are quite a few aspies on this thread, and we do tend to be far less influenced by society's accepted opinions and "norms" than most neurotypicals (non-aspies).

To digress a little, I'm sad that the American psychiatric community decided to dissolve the Asperger's classification into the general autism spectrum. It seems as though it would have made more sense to continue addressing this syndrome as a specific autism subset, since it has its own peculiar range of characteristics. Oh, well.
fatgrllvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #95
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Also autistic and also an FA, chiming in to say that I agree pretty much completely with TwoSwords on this; he's said everything I have to say on the topic.

Being less aware of peer pressure might be another aspect to it as well. I don't understand peer pressure and I don't think I ever will; I don't care what other people like, dislike, want or hate. Literally as long as people don't throw things at me or hit me with things, I really couldn't care less what they do.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #96
Tad
mostly harmless

One factor frequently found in ASD is having a few, intense, foci of interest. With zero evidence, it feels like this could relate to sexuality too.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #97
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Chiming in to say my first crush was on a Fellow Dr. during my clinical rotations in college. He had Asperger's. He was insanely funny, in a dry humor sort of way. My classmates would make fun of me because "Dr. Aspie" likes you. I liked him back...ah, but I was too shy. I'd love to see him again!
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote