Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The essential Thirteen

What spices do you keep in your kitchen, be it large or small? Are some of your herbs and spices down to their last grains, while others you bought at a extremely large price, and used once?

www.spicelines.com provides a list of the thirteen essential spices to keep in your kitchen: black peppercorns, kosher salt, allspice, cinnamon, both ground and whole; chili powder, cloves, coriander, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, saffron and vanilla.

What herbs and spices do you keep on hand?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have to give this some thought but mustard powder, garlic powder, pumpkin pie spice, Chinese five spices, onion powder, onion flakes and dried shallots immediately sprang to mind. I also do like the dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, chive and basil, to name a few. While they don't hold a candle to fresh, and fresh is readily available at supermarkets now, dried can be very useful in slow cooker recipes.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Some of those, I'd rarely use. And I don't consider salt a spice.

I have to have: cinnamon [a couple varieties], cloves, nutmeg.... I'm primarily a baker.... chili powder, cayenne, and ginger. For herbs, I'd need chives, rosemary, oregano, basil, and sage. I'll keep some dried garlic and onion around for certain dishes when I'm in a hurry, too. If I had the time right now, I'd spend more time making stuff from scratch so I'd need a lot more variety of spices but fewer dried things with more fresh from my garden. [I have an oregano plant that has probably grown to cover a patch 3' x 3' square if not more.

Love going to Penzey's. And even though it's a blend and I could probably make my own cheaper, I use their cake spice in a lot of baked items and some breakfast types of foods [pancakes, French toast]. Lots of compliments!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love Penzey's, too, and I have a hunch the essentials, after salt and pepper, depend on taste and the type of cooking you do. Currently I have on hand salt (Maldon's, Himalayan pink and hickory smoked), India Tellicherry pepper, Lawrey's season salt,Vietnamese and regular cinnamon, French tarragon, French thyme, smoked paprika, a tube of pesto, mural of flavor blend, cayenne, dill, Rogan Josh blend, a Greek blend with mint, Northwoods blend, old bay seasoning, ground sumac berries, juniper berries, cardamon, garam marsala, chipotle, pork chop seasoning blend, ginger, clove, chili powder, dry mustard, fennel seeds, curry, rosemary, tumeric, saffron, oregano, celery seed, sage, lemon peel powder, cumin, jerk, tandoori blend, chili con carne blend, chicken taco seasoning blend, fresh chive, fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, and 7 garlic bulbs.

It's hard to name an essential 13, but salt, dill, saffron, pepper, smoked paprika, old bay, cilantro, parsley, sage, tarragon, thyme, fresh garlic and Penzey's Northwoods are probably near the top of the list. Also cinnamon ... and that's the trouble with it all. That's 14 and I've only just begun.

Last edited by one2one; 10-06-2013 at 11:05 PM.
one2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

In my cupboard I have: salt & black peppercorns, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, chilli flakes, thyme, sage, bay leaves, oregano, fennel, chilli powder and garam masala. I think that's 13, although a different 13 to those suggested.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just moved into a new apartment and am completely starting fresh, so this thread is very timely (and useful).

And I forgot tarragon, sage, and smoked paprika. I use them as well as herbs du Provence very frequently.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I use curry powder and tumeric fairly regularly. I also keep copious amounts of garlic around, fresh, in a mix and granulated. I have both onion powder and minced onion when i want to up the onion factor. I have fajita mix and taco seasoning. I have lots of chili powder. Garam Masala is important. I also have cinnamon for baking, i make fruit crisp often and love it! I also have basil. I freeze basil from the farmers market regularly and use that too. I love basil. That's just what i keep around for regular use. I have some weird mixes that i like too. I used to have a GREAT mix that was made locally but ran out. I used that in soup. It was a spicy garlic blend. I need to get to that farmers market where they sell it. It was $15 for a rather small bottle but i loved it!

eta: I also keep Beau Monde and dill around to make dip for my hubs favorite dip.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

An essential 13 for me would be
  1. Garlic powder
  2. Onion powder
  3. Black Pepper
  4. Cayenne Pepper
  5. Basil
  6. Oregano
  7. Thyme
  8. Bay Leaves
  9. Cajun Seasoning
  10. Salt
  11. Lemon pepper seasoning
  12. Cumin
  13. Parsley flakes
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

1. Salt
2. Pepper
2. Basil
4. Thyme
5. Garlic (I prefer fresh)
6. Chili powder or dried chili peppers (I like spicy food)
7. Turmeric (essential for curry)
8. Garam marsala (essential for curry)
9. Parsley
10. Cinnamon (some curry recipes include this)
11. Cilantro
12. Ginger (some curry recipes include this)
13. Bay leaves

Last edited by EMH1701; 10-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I know some of you don't think salt is a spice.. but only one of you mentioned celery (seed), and nobody mentions celery salt?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I know some of you don't think salt is a spice.. but only one of you mentioned celery (seed), and nobody mentions celery salt?
I really thought about including celery salt then I realized that I only time I use it is when I make chicken soup.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
My mom always keeps celery seed in the house for when she makes chicken salad. I don't care either way whether my chicken salad has it. Just not a priority item... but I did think of it when making my list!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
I don't care for celery salt. Then again, I use garlic powder but not garlic salt.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Re: celery salt

I didn't know this was a thing until I had a roommate that insisted that Beau Monde was an essential spice. And he put it on everything. I went looking for it, but all I could find was bon appetite.. which is similar.. but both are celery salt with extra stuff.

I cant find either now, I just buy celery salt and call it good. I like to sprinkle it on homemade mac and cheese.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Really depends on the time of year. In Spring/Summer, I often have herbs growing and use what's fresh. During the Winter holidays cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves put in an appearance.

Right now in the jars on my counter:

1. Salt
2. Pepper
3. Sage
4. Oregano
5. Basil
6. Rosemary
7. Marjoram
8. Savory
9. Cumin
10. Paprika
11. Chili Powder
12. Saffron
13. A blend of the last of the herbs from summer

I also use the hell out of garlic and ginger, but buy those fresh.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

1 salt
2. Black Peppercorns
3. Chili Powder
4. Cumin
5 Red pepper flakes
6. Sage
7 Garlic Powder
8. Poultry Seasoning
9.Oregano
10. Basil
11. Cinnamon
12 Paprika/ smoked paprika
13 Celery seed
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wow. I've never used cumin or saffron...EVER....and I'll be 47 in 2 days..

Salt, peppercorns, oregano, sage, rosemary, red pepper flakes, basil, cinnamon, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, lemon pepper.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Cumin tends to be used as an ingredient in chili, burrito, and enchilada spice packets. Ground cumin has an aroma akin to used socks.

I tend to use cumin when making a big pot of pintos.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Cumin tends to be used as an ingredient in chili, burrito, and enchilada spice packets. Ground cumin has an aroma akin to used socks.

I tend to use cumin when making a big pot of pintos.
I see...I'm not a big fan of chili/beans The bf could live off rice/beans...ugh.. When I make burritos/enchiladas I use taco spice. Maybe that contains cumin. Never detected the odor of used socks though!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #20
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I have no idea what celery salt is, but I only use any kind of salt when I am cooking for other people so I'm not an expert in these things!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I'm a salt convert, since I watched Alton Brown's Good Eats I've been using Kosher salt more (just pour it from the box into my hand to measure). That said, I still use Lawry's seasoned salt when frying ground beef, or celery salt when prepping chicken.

I wonder if I use too much salt. hmm.