Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Chili

The days are getting short, the nights are growing cool, and it's time for chili! Almost everyone has a favorite recipe; let's see how many we can collect. Here's mine.

Vegetarian Chili

1/2 cup chopped onion 1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp cooking oil 2 cups cooked pinto beans
1 cup Morning Star Farms burger crumbles (or your favorite burger substitute)
1/2 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and peppers
1 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme 1/4 tsp chili powder
dash hot pepper flakes pinch sugar
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice 2 cups water

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add everything else and simmer for 30 minutes. Serves 3 or 4, depending on how hungry they are.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I don't usually use a recipe. I just throw in whatever meat I have on hand, tomatoes, beans, and spices. I love using ghost peppers in chili. I've found adding things like zucchini to chili also helps make it somewhat healthy.

Chili verde also is pretty good. Just get a bunch of tomatillos, some jalapenos, chicken or pork, onions, white beans, fresh cilantro, salt & pepper, maybe a little lime juice, and add to a pot with some water in it.

You can make white chili also. That's just chili without the tomatoes and using chicken meat and white beans. You'll also want some spices for that. White pepper, onions, garlic cloves, whole green chilis, cumin and oregano work well.

I find the longer you let chili simmer on the stove top or in a crock pot, the better it gets.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I make white chili...no real recipe. Here are the basics:

Ground chicken
sauteed onions and red/yellow/orange peppers
white beans
chicken stock
green chilies
salt
pepper
oregano
poultry seasoning
chili powder
garlic powder
hot sauce to taste
sour cream
cream cheese

Simmer in slow cooker/crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Top with diced onion, jalapenos, shredded cheese. and sour cream if desired.
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a chili head. Rep has been given!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm a chili head. Rep has been given!
And I am ever so grateful!
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Thanks for the rep!
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yummy! A man that can cook. Take notes, boys.
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That looks really good Dr, but:

1 - A little cubed beef/Bambi/pork wouldn't hurt.

2 - Beans shouldn't go in there. Serve them as a side dish and let your guests add them if they prefer.

(Just my 2.)

- Jim
Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
That looks really good Dr, but:

1 - A little cubed beef/Bambi/pork wouldn't hurt.

2 - Beans shouldn't go in there. Serve them as a side dish and let your guests add them if they prefer.

(Just my 2.)

- Jim
This is the kind of dialogue I was hoping to get: variations on the basic theme of chili. Incidentally, I discovered that you can replace the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice with an equal amount of Moore2Me's pepper sauce (on another thread in this forum) with dynamite results!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I do a cheating chili.

Basically 1 lb or so of ground meat, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 jar of salsa, 2 cans of drained beans [I usually mix types like light and dark red kidney; can use spicy beans for more heat; 1 can black beans and 1 can drained corn for another variation], salt, chili powder, cayenne, and a little bit of cheese at the end that gets mixed in.

It takes really no time at all. The heat can be adjusted through the spices and the salsa and beans used. Just an easy way to make some chili. And I always need cornbread on the side.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
I do a cheating chili.

Basically 1 lb or so of ground meat, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 jar of salsa, 2 cans of drained beans [I usually mix types like light and dark red kidney; can use spicy beans for more heat; 1 can black beans and 1 can drained corn for another variation], salt, chili powder, cayenne, and a little bit of cheese at the end that gets mixed in.

It takes really no time at all. The heat can be adjusted through the spices and the salsa and beans used. Just an easy way to make some chili. And I always need cornbread on the side.
If that's cheating chili, then this recipe is downright chili fraud, or my quickest easiest kid-pleasin' chili. I use 1lb ground beef, 2 cans Van Camp's Ranch style beans (pintos in a perfect blend of chili seasoned sauce), 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (or tomato paste if you like it thick), 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, and 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce. Shredded cheddar, diced onions, sour cream, oyster crackers, and Tabasco on the side.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just made a chilli con carne! It went thus:

Chopped onion, celery, carrots (wouldn't usually add celery/carrot but they needed using up) & crushed garlic sauted in a pan. Add chilli powder & beef mince & brown the meat. Add beef stock (cube dissolved in water), chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, majoram, chilli flakes, sugar, salt & pepper. Bring to boil then simmer on low heat with a lid on for 20 mins. Add 1 tin of (drained) kidney beans & cook on low for another 20mins or so.

I will be serving it tomorrow with rice and sour cream.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Is it wrong for me to want to see the veggie eating Dr. Feelgood & the meat eating smithnwesson have a BRUTAL chili-off. Best chili maker wins.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndProud View Post
Is it wrong for me to want to see the veggie eating Dr. Feelgood & the meat eating smithnwesson have a BRUTAL chili-off. Best chili maker wins.

I'm game if you'll be the referee.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
FatAndProud

Oh, please. I'd be honored! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I'm game if you'll be the referee.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hell, I'm in: and I'm definitely a meat eating sumbich. I got this recipe from a friend in Texas and it's the way I always make it (the peppers vary with what I can find):

Sautee a very large chopped onion
Add five minced cloves of garlic
Add and brown 2 pounds of red meat - beef, pork, or venison, cubed or coarsely ground

Add and lightly sautee chopped fresh peppers to taste:
2 poblanos (Not hot, don't skimp)
2 jalapenos
2 serranos
4 tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
2-4 bay leaves
1-2 teaspoons of oregano (Mexican if available)
dried crushed red chili to taste
whatever other peppers you want

Add a bottle of beer
One can of crushed tomatoes
1 to 2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder

Simmer for two or three hours, longer won't hurt
Add liquid (beef broth) if needed

Thicken before serving with masa flour in a little water (regular flour or cornstarch will be fine)

Adjust salt and other seasonings.

NO DAMN BEANS

Chopping at least part of the meat into small cubes improves both the flavor and the texture.

Whether or not to add beans is a high controversial issue. I'm a staunch member of the 'no bean school', but I always fix a nice pot of pinto beans separately. After all, it's easier to add them when you're ready to eat than it is to pick them out.

Last edited by smithnwesson; 10-31-2013 at 04:57 PM.
smithnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Default Steakhouse Chili

8 slices bacon, chopped
3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cubed
2 big onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2-6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1-3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons new mexico chile powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons cumin
2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
Cayenne pepper
Tomato paste or Masa

Cook the bacon in a large dutch oven (or other heavy pot) over medium heat until brown. Move bacon to paper towels but keep all the drippings. Brown beef chunks in batches, transfering to a plate.

Pour off fat, keeping 2 tablespoons. (add cooking oil if needed) Saute onions, red peppers, and garlic, about five minutes. Stir in chipotles, chile powder, cocoa and cumin for additional minute. Add bacon, beef, tomatoes (and juice), oregano, and bay leaves.

Cover and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours.
Add cayenne as desired for additional heat.
Thicken as desired using tomato paste or masa.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-31-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: You might want to remove the bay leaves before serving....
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Hell, I'm in: and I'm definitely a meat eating sumbich. I got this recipe from a friend in Texas and it's the way I always make it (the peppers vary with what I can find):

Sautee a very large chopped onion
Add five minced cloves of garlic
Add and brown 2 pounds of red meat - beef, pork, or venison, cubed or coarsely ground

Add and lightly sautee chopped fresh peppers to taste:
2 poblanos (Not hot, don't skimp)
2 jalapenos
2 serranos
4 tablespoons chili powder (more to taste)
1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
2-4 bay leaves
1-2 teaspoons of oregano (Mexican if available)
dried crushed red chili to taste
whatever other peppers you want

Add a bottle of beer
One can of crushed tomatoes
1 to 2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder

Simmer for two or three hours, longer won't hurt
Add liquid (beef broth) if needed

Thicken before serving with masa flour in a little water (regular flour or cornstarch will be fine)

Adjust salt and other seasonings.

NO DAMN BEANS

Chopping at least part of the meat into small cubes improves both the flavor and the texture.

Whether or not to add beans is a high controversial issue. I'm a staunch member of the 'no bean school', but I always fix a nice pot of pinto beans separately. After all, it's easier to add them when you're ready to eat than it is to pick them out.
I've never used fresh poblanos ( or serranos for that matter) in a chili before, but I'm willing to try anything twice.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
FatAndProud

Oh, be still my heart! Don't get the Texans in here. I will faint.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I added some Mexican pork chorizo to my pot of chili this time. Holy yum..it's good.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I've been looking/searching for a white chili. Ms Charlotte's looks like the standard for that. The Pioneer Woman has some food porn when it comes to making a white chili.