Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default TV Dinners

My town now has an actual, good, authentic Italian restaurant, and I am delighted -- not only by the food, but because it's just about the only place in town where television watching is not mandatory. One by one, all the other restaurants -- not just the fast food chains -- have hung TVs from every corner of every room so that it is impossible to sit anywhere without having one in your face. Why? Is the food so bad we need to be distracted from it? If so, have we forgotten the art of conversation? I find it unpleasant and distracting, but presumably other people find that CNN enhances their meal. What's your opinion?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

I tolerate a television while sitting at my local bar. I don't tolerate it while dining. Restaurants with televisions don't get my business.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

I like it when it's a sports bar showing the game on every screen.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I ignore them. It's easy to do when you're hard of hearing in a noisy restaurant.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
I tolerate a television while sitting at my local bar. I don't tolerate it while dining. Restaurants with televisions don't get my business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deven View Post
I like it when it's a sports bar showing the game on every screen.
I don't mind TVs in bars; they're sort of traditional. And sports bars without TV would be like tennis without a net. It's only in restaurants that TV feels wrong; maybe it's because you usually go to a restaurant with someone else, or because the ambiance is a little more intimate?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
sarahreign
Queen of Fat Rolls

sarahreign has super-sized repsarahreign has super-sized repsarahreign has super-sized repsarahreign has super-sized rep

Restaurants around here aren't jam packed with TV's. Only sports bars usually. The only time I like to eat and watch TV/movies is at home or at my friends houses. Other than that, I don't even really watch TV anyways. What bothers me more than TV's at restaurants is people who go out to eat and can't leave their damn phone down/off. People are so addicted to their phones it's appalling!
sarahreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Geez, I thought this was gonna be a thread about actual TV-dinners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
"One by one, all the other restaurants -- not just the fast food chains -- have hung TVs from every corner of every room so that it is impossible to sit anywhere without having one in your face. Why?...What's your opinion?"
It's sort of a carry-over from when the original HD-flat screens first started getting a bit cheaper. Think about it: Imagine yourself awash in cheap credit taking-over a (then) struggling small business. As you're designing a new-look renovation, what's the cheapest (most bang for your buck) upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreign View Post
"Restaurants around here aren't jam packed with TV's. Only sports bars usually."
Give it time... Yeah, there are some places where this trend hasn't quite taken-off. But, I think, it's just a matter time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
"I don't mind TVs in bars; they're sort of traditional. And sports bars without TV would be like tennis without a net. It's only in restaurants that TV feels wrong; maybe it's because you usually go to a restaurant with someone else, or because the ambiance is a little more intimate?"
This one place, in my old neighborhood, was not anything like a Sports-Bar. It was more of a (slightly) upscale type of gastro-pub. Nice place. Real Wine-list, high-end liquor, ect.... When the new owner took over, he brought in "the TVs." (2 46" or so, right behind the bar) And then, suddenly, it was like every other place on that block, one by one, began to either change out their old TV or just bring in huge, sparkly, crystal-clear new-ones.

And, in this particular place, some of the regulars were not so readily on board. They worried, I guess, what else the capital improvements might signify as far as the continuity of the place's existing...vibe. And so the bartender assuaged thusly: "Look, this way, if there's couple on a date, who want to eat dessert sitting at the bar; and by-then there's also only one or two other people just sitting at the bar; it creates a focal point so that the people who're there alone can comfortably just sit there and get drunk without it seeming like their 'looking-at' anyone" And, as stupid as that sounds, it totally makes sense.

Since it's much more difficult to have a profitable restaurant without successful bar, the dynamics of the bar & drink service will tend to drive the orientation of the rest of the business. And, basically, solitary and misanthropic 'lone-wolf' types will tend to visit more, stay longer, and spend-more when availed of such comforts (Wifi, TV's, a video-game, lotto, ect...) It helps to support & sustain the appearance of being alone by choice.

As opposed to fiddling-with/looking at one's phone. Which, frankly, everyone, no matter cool they actually may be, looks lame doing.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post

Since it's much more difficult to have a profitable restaurant without successful bar, the dynamics of the bar & drink service will tend to drive the orientation of the rest of the business. And, basically, solitary and misanthropic 'lone-wolf' types will tend to visit more, stay longer, and spend-more when availed of such comforts (Wifi, TV's, a video-game, lotto, ect...) It helps to support & sustain the appearance of being alone by choice.
I think you're right, and I can see why a restaurant would install a TV in the bar. What I still can't understand is why that should make it necessary to install a TV in each nook and cranny of the restaurant so that every patron must be facing a screen at all times.