Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Turkey Breast Tenderloin: How Does it Work?

My local Aldi is having a very attractive sale on turkey breast tenderloins. I'm intrigued and wish to try my hand at it, but I'm apprehensive. Turkey breast is extremely lean, therefore it is very easy to cook dry. If you're not knowledgeable, and I'm not, you can ruin it easy. What I need is advice from the cooking experts who populate the board. How can I make a good dish out of this? I have both a working oven and a crock pot.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Don't have any advice but smoked turkey on multi-grain bread with freshly made cranberry sauce, a touch of mayo, a thin slice of red onion and a kosher dill pickle on the side - yum!

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The four key words with turkey are: brine, roast, temperature, and rest.

A brine helps a lean meat retain moisture and add flavor.

Roast @ 375 with a temperature probe and STOP at 160, about 45-55 min.

Remove from heat and rest.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i tend to use ground turkey but found a good link on pintrest about what to do with tenderloins...

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/tur...rloin-recipes/
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I used to cook 'em all of the time...

Absolutely great-value for a single-person or two bachelors who like really a big portion of meat. Depending on what else you make (potatoes, stuffing, etc..) you could probably stretch it to 3 or 4 people. Or make sandwiches, whatever...

I love it because it's my favorite part of the turkey (a lot of white meat) without a lot of work or preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
...Turkey breast is extremely lean, therefore it is very easy to cook dry. If you're not knowledgeable, and I'm not, you can ruin it easy...
Fuhghed about it!! You're gonna cook-it till it's done, eat-it, and then it's gone! The next time, make adjustments...

Seriously, though, it's basically idiot-proof. Nothing like trying to stuff & cook an actual bird, where you have to know to pull that bag out with all of the gizzards and what-not (D'oh!). What Fuzzy said is probably ideal, if you have the time and and want to be-all perfect and make a brine. And if you have a meat-thermometer (a good tool to have, but not as important as just the experience of cooking/executing the same dish again and again..)

You didn't mention a particular brand; but, where I used to shop, they always carried Jenny-O products. I don't know if they have them at Aldis; but they're definitely worth looking into if you can get a good deal on it (like a 2-for-1 or something like that), especially their pre-marianated turkey-loins. Or anything like this: Basically, for both turkey-loin and pork-loin, you can either get a plain one (and season it yourself) or select any from a number of pre-marianted varieties, like Chipolte-Bbq, Lemon-Garlic, Roasted Garlic & Herb, etc...

So, I would get a pre-marianted, take it home, turn on the oven to about 450. Then, get out my saute pan, little vegetable oil, heat it up and break open the bag with the closed end sitting the sink. With tongs or just a big fork (if that's easier for you), pick it up allowing the other end to just drip into the sink for a second or two. When you're ready, very carefully lay it (away from you) into the pan to sear one side. And, eventually, all around, including either end. From there it goes into whatever you have in the way of a roasting pan and into the oven, shut the door. After about 10 minutes, flip it over.

That should give you just about enough time to get some rice going. Or make some vegetable or stuffing? Or at least heat up some gravy or maybe make a salad. Cranberry sauce, as pointed out, it another thing you'll probably not want to wait to remember up until that point. Always a plus in whatever form you might prefer or find available.

Potatoes, if you want to roast them, are probably just about the only thing you'll want to have (already-cooking) to go in with it. Because, after about 20--25 minutes total, it will be brown and sizzling-hot in its own juices. Which you can use in the gravy.

You'll know it's done (without the thermometer) just based on how much more firm and stiff it comes out. But, as Fuzzy pointed out, you still want to give it another 5 minutes or so to rest on the board before cutting. At which point, the quick escape of a little bit of steam and it being all-white inside would suggest it's okay to eat.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote