Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
tjw1971

tjw1971 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokestjw1971 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Ok, a bathroom scale question....

I know this probably sounds silly, but my curiousity (and my g/f's too) is piqued. Have any of you (men or women) weighed yourselves on the typical household bathroom scale as you approached or exceeded 300lbs. - and what were your results?

I mean, most of them read only up to 300lbs. unless you buy a new model that goes higher.... but did you get an accurate reading (eg. went past the 0 mark and stopped on 40, accurately showing you as 340lbs.), or did it just stop short at some preset limit? Did anyone actually break one before?

(One of my ex g/f's was afraid to weigh herself after her parents refused to let her use their scale, saying she might break it. But I wonder if that's more of a myth than reality.)
tjw1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
BigCuddlyFA

BigCuddlyFA has said some nice things

most typical scales will go past the 300lb mark...meaning in most cases it will go past the zero again....its hard to break a scale but you can screw up the springs lol
BigCuddlyFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Morbid

Morbid can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMorbid can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMorbid can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I actually snapped one before.. they had a version made out of pexiglass on top of a scale.. where it read your weight digitally on it... well it didnt work out so well when it said it went to 300 lbs and i was 690 just seeing if it would digitally go up to my weight.. then i heard it crack... i looked down and the pexiglass was stress cracked....

Morbid
"Fat" is not a four-letter word. It is an adjective, like short, tall, thin, or blonde. While society has given it a derogatory meaning, we find that identifying ourselves as "fat" is an important step in casting off the shame we have been taught to feel about our bodies. * www.naafa.org * :D
Morbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Taylor Digital Scale

Hi Guy's,
I bought a Taylor digital on clearance at Wal-Mart for $20.00 in
1999, when I weighed 271. It's capacity is 300lbs. It's readings are a
little unstable 'cuz I cracked the top, but it digitally reads past 400. I
stay pretty close to 400 these days and the scale is reading nearly the
same as the doctor's.
A fat woman on a scale is my second favorite fettish. My ultimate
favorite is an over-300lb gal in a bikini! Rrrrrrrrrrrroar!!!! The sight of an
over-300lb gal weighing herself in a bikini would probably kill this 51 year-
old dog!!!
Edgar

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

No one likes dead dogs, Edgar.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Thanks

Thanks, Jes. I'll just have to be careful if I should ever get
that lucky! LOL

Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Imp

Imp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticedImp never has a post go unnoticed
Default Just because it says it's so, doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1971 View Post
I know this probably sounds silly, but my curiousity (and my g/f's too) is piqued. Have any of you (men or women) weighed yourselves on the typical household bathroom scale as you approached or exceeded 300lbs. - and what were your results?

I mean, most of them read only up to 300lbs. unless you buy a new model that goes higher.... but did you get an accurate reading (eg. went past the 0 mark and stopped on 40, accurately showing you as 340lbs.), or did it just stop short at some preset limit? Did anyone actually break one before?

(One of my ex g/f's was afraid to weigh herself after her parents refused to let her use their scale, saying she might break it. But I wonder if that's more of a myth than reality.)
The farther to the extreme you get on any measuring instrument, the less reliable it becomes, so on a 300-pound scale there's really a lot of doubt as to how accurately someone who is 300 pounds would be weighed. It has to do with the tension in the spring, energy lost in spinning the little dial, blah, blah, blah.

The little tick marks on the dial are really just approximations. To be accurate they should hav emore distance between them out on the extremes. So, there's no telling the true distance that little wheel will turn with another 40 pounds added past the extreme.

To borrow from Tommy Boy, get you another a scale.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Famouslastwords
Iaintnogoddamnsonofabitch

Location: Indiana, juss across the border from Kiiintucky in Newburgh.
Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!Famouslastwords keeps pushing the rep limit!

I used one that weighed up to 300, I weighed 340 according to it for the longest but I wasn't losing weight on my diet.

So I bought one accurate up to 400 only to find to my dismay it was more than the up to 300 said.
Famouslastwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Sam got on a bathroom scale at a friend's place that had numbers up to something like 300 (might have been 280). She was pregnant and well over 400 lbs at the time. It was an analog scale with the little numbers-on-a-wheel that spins around, not a digital model. When she stepped on it, it went right to the end of the dial and... stayed there. Even when she got off! It was just stuck. So be gentle with those scales, folks!

Brenda
fatgirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My experience has been that the higher off the extreme end you go, the farther off the weight is, and generally to the low end... not the high.

For instance, I'd expect a 300 lb analog scale to weigh me somewhere around 360-375, and I'm around 415 or something.

The last digital I was on that was rated to 350 gave me an "error" reading when I got on it. Just short of "one person at a time" notice.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just how accurate is it to stand on two scales, one for each foot and sum the two together?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just how accurate is it to stand on two scales, one for each foot and sum the two together?

I wondered about that as well, but I figure unless you're perfectly on center for both, you have to potential of being way off? I guess if you could get an accurate reading elsewhere then test it out you might know.

I'd think, in theory, it should work?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
cnk2cav

cnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot pics

never tried it, but my physics teacher always said that it was an excellent way to weigh yourself
cnk2cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Warrior

Warrior has said some nice things

Has anyone new experiences with this kind of scales???
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Has anyone new experiences with this kind of scales???
Which sort of scales is that? Two scales with a board between? Or did a link get dropped?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

LivingXL.com has scales that weigh up to 1000 lbs. Mine holds up to 550, I believe. There's quite a number of choices and a varied price range. Mine talks too.

I fucking hate necroposting.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

The talking 550-lb one is available on Amazon for about $35 last I checked, which was because I'm a feeder on a budget, damnit!
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default Taylor 7081

Mr. Shaky Leggs, here, has ordered this nice Taylor 7081, rated 550 lbs, from Quick Medical and hopes this projector scale will be able to weigh him, shakes and all. Quick has an excellent price at the moment! A cheap Taylor I bought at Wal Mart, on clearance, was rated to 300 lbs, but worked flawlessly to over 400, so I'm hoping the 7081 will be as good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scale taylor 7081 wb md.jpg (15.1 KB, 999 views)

Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
zipper21

zipper21 can now change their title

I just jump out of the truck when i cross the scales at the landfill.... its usually pretty close +/- 20lbs .... I'm 310 and it normally drops 300-320lbs when i get out the truck.

Btw, those scales are rated for 100,000 lbs so they should cover most people
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

Default My Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper21 View Post
I just jump out of the truck when i cross the scales at the landfill.... its usually pretty close +/- 20lbs .... I'm 310 and it normally drops 300-320lbs when i get out the truck.

Btw, those scales are rated for 100,000 lbs so they should cover most people
That sounds pretty good, but if a 550 lbs rated scale needs a 25 lbs of pressure to turn it on, I wonder how much a person would need to weigh just to make a Fairbanks come on???

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
The talking 550-lb one is available on Amazon for about $35 last I checked, which was because I'm a feeder on a budget, damnit!
Is that the black one with the gray metal sensors? I find that it's extremely temperamental and can go +/- 5 lbs. if you weigh, walk away, then five minutes later weigh again--also when the batteries run low it's much less reliable. Thinking of getting another because this one seems too HAL-ish to me.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #22
Warrior

Warrior has said some nice things

Some month ago my girl stepped on a digital scale and it shows error! Analog scales are better, because they can overrotate!
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
GordoNegro

Location: Not Coney Island but the same side of the Brooklyn Bridge
GordoNegro can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordoNegro can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordoNegro can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I had to laugh as the household scale would read 2, or 5 lbs once passing 300..lol
Though, I've been using a 1K scale from livingxl to get more accurate readings.
GordoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
fallenj05

fallenj05 has said some nice things

mine goes up to 420lb
fallenj05 is offline   Reply With Quote