Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #26
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid
Freaky, see that thing that says sign up? That's what you should click. Click that! Forget the quiz thing. Sense of humour or no sense of humour, I can make things happen. Seriously, you should sign up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfred View Post
"Sign up and get your results"

I always knew.
Isn't there a bit of tiiiny grey text next to "Sign up and get your results" that says something like "Get your results without signing up"? Took me a minute to spot it. Sneaky sneaky.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
Saisha
Delphinum natare doces

Saisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions communitySaisha is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Hmm, I got the Ham - not sure how much I agree with it.

(43% dark, 50% spontaneous, 26% vulgar)
your humor style:
CLEAN | SPONTANEOUS | LIGHT

Child of the ocean.
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #28
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayone View Post
I feel like pattern-recognition is an underrated element in humour. Puns and visual humour turn on unexpected resemblances between unrelated elements, or high contrasts.
It's been said that humor is tragedy plus time.

Except for puns. With them, the only thing that gets harmed (even in the abstract) is the audience's expectations. What you see -- or hear, depending -- is NOT what you get, once you get it. It's not (inherently) mocking or deriding anyone, just exploiting quirks of language.

Which is why I like them. Well, that and it's a good (?) recreational use for a large vocabulary.

Last edited by CleverBomb; 08-21-2014 at 12:45 AM.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

As I was reading Lolita, I was more and more entertained by Nabokov's word-play. A lot didn't really feel like "typical" wordplay that I'd seen in other books, and it had a certain charm to it that made me smile. I think it was even more effective considering the topic of the book and the general style of his writing.

Infinite Jest has a more morbid, poignant sort of humor. There's some absurdity, and some things that seem so remarkably accurate, yet are comically described.

Franzen seems to do a decent job of making humor out of real-life situations that are actually crushingly depressing.

Pynchon is probably the most absurd that I've read when it comes to humor and word-play. Over the top weirdness, with a lot of allusion and the like (which, admittedly, I rarely catch.)

I feel like humor can be pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to writing like that. At least with longer novels. It depends so heavily on the voice of the writer to pull it off (for me,) though I guess I only go for dark/taboo humor.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #30
biglynch

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm the type of guy who enjoys a guy fall over after someone Took his stool away thinking it was not being used. The thing that was funniest was not the visual image but the sound of him realizing the stool was gone, and then the bump of him hitting the ground. I was crying and nobody knew why.
biglynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #31
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Another "Wit" over here. Not entirely surprised.

I enjoy spontaneous humour, but any performer worth their salt will tell you that it's 90% practice.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #32
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
the Shock Jock
(52% dark, 50% spontaneous, 42% vulgar)
your humor style:
VULGAR | SPONTANEOUS | DARK

Your sense of humor is off-the-cuff and kind of gross. Is it is also sinister, cynical, and vaguely threatening to the purer folks of this world. You probably get off on that. You would cut a greasy fart, then blame it on your mom, and then just shrug when someone pointed out that she's dead.

Yours is hands-down the most outrageous sense of humor; you like things trangressive and hardcore. It's highly likely (a) you have no limits (b) you have no scruples and (c) you have no job. Ironically, it's your type of humor that can make the biggest bucks in show business.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Howard Stern - Adam Sandler - Roseanne Barr

Well I already knew that I was kind of a nasty girl but don't like the farting humor. I think I got this result simply because I chose Adam Sandler as my preferred actor.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote