Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #101
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think we, as a group, still do this hierarchical jockeying b/c fat ain't cool in the mainstream. And people outside the fat community do the same. If they like you, you're fat b/c your parents were, too. If they don't, you're fat because you ate a dozen eggs for breakfast. And we've internalized that, hardcore, I think, as a group, and we spit it back at people. And the reality is: either you accept yourself or you don't. Either you tell people: this is who I am, deal with it, or you don't. You don't qualify, if you're really accepting of yourself.

ooooh. them's fighting words. I think the above sounds harsh, as though I'm saying we should all be doing that, or you should do it because I do it--but I don't do it. I still want to explain or justify or provide context in many situations. Probably because I'm reacting to knowing what the other person in the conversation might be thinking, in part because I know I'm fat but I see myself as so much more than fat, and I want to provide that extra information to anyone who will listen, to help paint a better picture of who I am as a person in a fat body.

At the end of the day, how do reasons change things? Either the world (in terms of civil rights, and employers and legislation and insurers and all of that) accepts us as fat beings or it doesn't. Should it matter that some people ate a dozen eggs this morning and some people didn't?

We're either accepting of all fat, for whatever reason, or we're not.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #102
Baba Fats

Baba Fats can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBaba Fats can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
We're either accepting of all fat, for whatever reason, or we're not.
I don't know how these comments ended up in this ancient thread, but finding them anywhere was a treat. Thank you, Jes. I wholeheartedly agree. Genuine fat acceptance would have no need to make such class distinctions. If you truly accept fat as something positive, then any reason for being fat is a good reason.

That being said, the preponderance of data fully supports the proposition that fatness is genetic. Proven and suspected "fat genes" already number in the hundreds, and more are identified every year -

http://obesitygene.pbrc.edu/

The fact that our policy makers are consistently able to distort, deny, or discount this evidence is yet another example of the triumph of faith over science.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #103
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mossy, I am sorry if you felt i attacked you in the thread, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and if i said anything that said you are not entitled i am sorry.

If i hurt your feelings, i am very sorry.

Dianna

Medical advisor to the Mayor of Fatopia :)
Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #104
gangstadawg
the wanderer

gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!gangstadawg has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

this is 1 old ass thread. sorry about what happened to women of that family.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #105
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Fats View Post
I don't know how these comments ended up in this ancient thread, but finding them anywhere was a treat. Thank you, Jes. I wholeheartedly agree. Genuine fat acceptance would have no need to make such class distinctions. If you truly accept fat as something positive, then any reason for being fat is a good reason.

That being said, the preponderance of data fully supports the proposition that fatness is genetic. Proven and suspected "fat genes" already number in the hundreds, and more are identified every year -

http://obesitygene.pbrc.edu/

The fact that our policy makers are consistently able to distort, deny, or discount this evidence is yet another example of the triumph of faith over science.
To restate my position: I'm not talking about fat being good or bad. For me, it's what it is. It exists. It doesn't matter if it's good. I should still be employable, worthy of getting healthcare, worthy of not being yelled at on the street, if I'm fat. Good doesn't enter into it, just like bad doesn't enter into it.

I understand your link above...and then the enfant terrible side of me turns it on its head and wants to ask: do we disenfranchise the people who are fat b/c they ate a dozen eggs for breakfast today when we push just those stats? Are we still being divisive, somehow? For the gainers here, especially those who gain with trouble and who lose weight when they don't want to be losing it, do you have an opinion on this sort of question? If we say so many of us are fat b/c we can't help but be fat, are we gaining acceptance (or legal rights or wahtever) on the backs of people who could be thin/average but don't want to be or choose not to be?

I think this is probably... somewhat of a straw man, but it's something I think about at times, based on conversations I used to have wtih my friend Diane (who is a BIG eater and always wondered why I wasn't!)
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #106
fatterisbetter

fatterisbetter can now change their title

I have no idea if the info about the fat lady and her daughters is true or not. But based on one picture we don't know why they were this big, so we should not judge them in any way. I would be pissed if anyone would accuse my wife or me of childabuse just because our kids are fat. Both my wife and I come from fat families, we like to eat and so we are big. This doesn't mean we are bad parents or have unhappy kids. Like most teens and pre-teens today our kids are a lot bigger than kids were twenty or thirty years ago. They have friends, play sports and eat home-cooked meals. We are proud of their school work and very happy they are not into drugs. But we are also not fricking saints or hypocrites. I am not going to tell my kids "daddy is getting another helping of mac'n cheese but you have to eat carrots" or "yes, mom can eat a couple of donuts while you get lettuce"! We live in a society with a lot of tasty, cheapy, readily available food, so it is only natural that those of us who like to eat a lot are also getting fatter.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #107
Captain_Sanders
On Timeout

Captain_Sanders can now change their title
Talking Omg................

I've not seen that pic in yearsss...... I remember that article. Wow.... I was in heaven. What mag was it and the date of it? I'd like to check to see if I can get a back issue. What yahoo group did you see them at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxjaguar View Post
About 8 years ago at the beginning of my FA odyessy, I remember seeing this photo and story in a tabloid while in the grocery checkout line. I also seem to remember some discussion about it on here. Obviously something like doesn't come along everyday.

While browsing a Yahoo group today I found the same picture. Does anyone remember this, or the story? I wonder whatever became of this lady and her three daughters.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #108
Captain_Sanders
On Timeout

Captain_Sanders can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxjaguar View Post
About 8 years ago at the beginning of my FA odyessy, I remember seeing this photo and story in a tabloid while in the grocery checkout line. I also seem to remember some discussion about it on here. Obviously something like doesn't come along everyday.

While browsing a Yahoo group today I found the same picture. Does anyone remember this, or the story? I wonder whatever became of this lady and her three daughters.
what magazine was this from? when was it published? I would like to have a copy of it
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #109
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sanders View Post
what magazine was this from? when was it published? I would like to have a copy of it
jesus christ let this thread die already....its old and its tragic
Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #110
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sanders View Post
It was the National Enquirer. I'm gonna guess Feb. 1997 but most of the archives from the previous millenium aren't google-able so give that a couple months confidence interval. Why do you bring this up now, btw.. was there a simsuit centerfold I didn't notice?

Last edited by Totmacher; 10-13-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell, "enquirer" .
Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #111
orin

orin can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Not only sad...tragic...nice parenting, mom..sorry, but this was child abuse...
I agree .. theres a point where it gets REALLY unhealthy to be so big .... if your heart cannot tolerate it.

and they in a way ... hurting themselves big time by getting beyond the point their bodies can handle
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #112
orin

orin can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatterisbetter View Post
I have no idea if the info about the fat lady and her daughters is true or not. But based on one picture we don't know why they were this big, so we should not judge them in any way. I would be pissed if anyone would accuse my wife or me of childabuse just because our kids are fat. Both my wife and I come from fat families, we like to eat and so we are big. This doesn't mean we are bad parents or have unhappy kids. Like most teens and pre-teens today our kids are a lot bigger than kids were twenty or thirty years ago. They have friends, play sports and eat home-cooked meals. We are proud of their school work and very happy they are not into drugs. But we are also not fricking saints or hypocrites. I am not going to tell my kids "daddy is getting another helping of mac'n cheese but you have to eat carrots" or "yes, mom can eat a couple of donuts while you get lettuce"! We live in a society with a lot of tasty, cheapy, readily available food, so it is only natural that those of us who like to eat a lot are also getting fatter.
yes .. but theres a point when there is a limit to how much your kids may be fat .. but they can actually go to school and function .. so that is not child abuse.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #113
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

hate to post on such an old thread but-

i feel the need to apologize to Santaclear.

I think I may have matured in the past 2 years
Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #114
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Not only sad...tragic...nice parenting, mom..sorry, but this was child abuse...
Agreed.

Things like this break my heart.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #115
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I bet there's board functionality to lock threads after a certain date. We've got enough drama to regurgitate old drama, and it's just not good cause no one takes the time to read the bajilliondy pages from two years ago before they post, so we literally start the process all over again.

I could sum up that paragraph with: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #116
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARrior View Post
hate to post on such an old thread but-

i feel the need to apologize to Santaclear.

I think I may have matured in the past 2 years
LOL, no need to apologize, GWAR. You weren't rude.

It's interesting when these old threads come up, to see what has changed.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #117
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

Apparently little has changed. People are still a little too willing to get angry and pass judgement over as little as an article in a tabloid renowned for its questionable reporting and a photo that was likely staged for our benefit.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #118
WALKER44

WALKER44 has said some nice things

Ebony's correct, with one picture you can not make a judgement. Many folks here weight as much or more than this family and are still alive. Also the fact that the girls were all young dosen't add up as youth in it's self has a way of keeping that person alive under the most trying circumstances. For two of the girls to die at a young age regardless of weight makes one wonder if there was other reasons. I am assuming that they were poor and if that is true then you know they did not have health care. Most people of that size would probibily need some form of blood pressure meds.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #119
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Poverty kills

A recent story in the Baltimore Sun compared life expectancy in one of the richest areas in Baltimore with life expectancy in one of the poorest areas in Baltimore. Those in the richest area could expect to live about 20 years more than those in the poorest area.

The moral of this -- If fat is bad for your health and it is hard to get thin, to improve your life expectancy get rich.

The next time someone tells you to get thin because they are worried about your health explain to them that it is very hard to get thin and that you would rather get rich which is very healthful and that you would appreciate their donation of 50 or $100 to help you get rich and live a longer life

Your's truly,

Russell Williams
Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #120
ClickFa

ClickFa has said some nice things

Uh... six pages of heated discussion over a picture from the NATIONAL ENQUIRER????

This is the mag that announced our wars would be fought by genetically engineered mushroom people, right? The same one that has photoshopped pictures of this celebreties head on someone elses body? In one slander suit, their defense was "We're innocent because we didn't think anyone would believe us." And we're all taking THIS as a creditable source?

ClickFA
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #121
Smurftums

Smurftums has said some nice things
Default A small (and hopefully final) update.

Kenethia had a Facebook presence. Looking at the public information of her husband, Kenethia passed away in late 2012 at the age of 40.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #122
KHayes666
Go away

KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!KHayes666 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurftums View Post
Kenethia had a Facebook presence. Looking at the public information of her husband, Kenethia passed away in late 2012 at the age of 40.
A tragic ending to a tragic thread. Amazing to see of all the posters from 2006-08 and realizing few of them are still here.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #123
Russell Williams

Russell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRussell Williams is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Wondering

I did not read all the posts so it may have been covered.

Is there any information on what kind of access these people had to good medical care?

Poverty tends to kill people early.

See an earlier post of mine.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #124
Nat1984

Nat1984 has said some nice things

I hope Kenethia is OK and it was some mistake that she've passed away in 2012
See
https://www.facebook.com/kenethia.woodscarpenter/about

Kenethia Woods from Natchez (its just town of Woods fanily in question..)
Closed Thread