Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pure venting

This thread is dedicating to letting writers blow off steam when things are not working out. OK, maybe it is just me that needs to do this sometimes? I hope not......

===================================

The nice, simple, linear, 'falling in love and accepting FAness' story that I've been picking away at (as a break from the long rambling epics that have been stalled since before the financial meltdown....) is being....willful. That it insisted I had the genders wrong at least came early, so was easy. That it decided the narrative tone was off after over 5000 words was written was really only a minor annoyance.

But that now it wants a new beginning, elevation of importance of two tertiary characters, and possibly a new ending/who ends up with who...... is making it rather less simple. I'd just show it who is boss by sticking to my plans, but I'm rather afraid that it is right about what would make it a better story
Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
ALS

ALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
This thread is dedicating to letting writers blow off steam when things are not working out. OK, maybe it is just me that needs to do this sometimes? I hope not......

===================================

The nice, simple, linear, 'falling in love and accepting FAness' story that I've been picking away at (as a break from the long rambling epics that have been stalled since before the financial meltdown....) is being....willful. That it insisted I had the genders wrong at least came early, so was easy. That it decided the narrative tone was off after over 5000 words was written was really only a minor annoyance.

But that now it wants a new beginning, elevation of importance of two tertiary characters, and possibly a new ending/who ends up with who...... is making it rather less simple. I'd just show it who is boss by sticking to my plans, but I'm rather afraid that it is right about what would make it a better story
As cliche as this statement may sound: I would follow your heart regarding the direction of the story. If you force yourself to follow a direction that you do not inherently 'believe,' then, writing the remainder of the story will probably be a drag.
ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

LOL @ episodic comment

Your stories do that too!?!

I think it depends on how FAST you are willing to make the changes. If you have the time/inspiration etc to make the changes, do it. If not, just keep linear maybe. Elsewise, it may end up following the episodic path (based only on what you said)

Perhaps...leave crumbs about the other characters, and tell their tale in a separate story? That way you satisfy the story gods about the characters, but keep it manageable?
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In this case I was trying to write a simple story--they meet, it is obvious they will end up together (assuming normal story rules are followed), it is all in how they get there. The story is suggesting that there are two other characters who would make equally interesting love interests, and that maybe they should have a shot....that maybe the love interest I'd planned isn't even the right one, and that at the least options would be good....
Old 09-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
ALS

ALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized repALS has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
In this case I was trying to write a simple story--they meet, it is obvious they will end up together (assuming normal story rules are followed), it is all in how they get there. The story is suggesting that there are two other characters who would make equally interesting love interests, and that maybe they should have a shot....that maybe the love interest I'd planned isn't even the right one, and that at the least options would be good....
I wish that I could offer you advice, but, I am as inexperienced with love as I am with long-term male weight gain.
ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Fat Molly
hufflepuff hobbit

Fat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticed

I hear you. I had a similar thing lately in my most recent chapter of 'Growing' where the main characters were headed towards an uncomfortable conclusion and I was like nooooooooooooooooooo i don't want to go there. but I did anyway, and now I have to work my way out of that place. and it isn't unreasonable.

I wasn't able to face it for a couple weeks though. I just put it aside and re-read and edited it today and I'm satisfied with the result.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have too many story ideas and not enough time. The characters are ripe, the plots are thick and juicy...and i cant stop thinking about all six of the stories!

To tads post...simple isnt even an option...i cant seem to do one! And that makes me feel hamstrung and beholden to the writing gods.

And i cant stop obsessing over the unwrittwn plots - as i drive, sleep, eat, bathe...!

I hate the writing gods.
Unless they are listening.
Then i heart you, oh writing gods, and i beseech you to stop tormenting me until i can get my new puppy to stop peeing on the floor.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote