Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Influence of first exposures to fat stuff?

Did you ever read the kid’s book “The Pumpkin Giant” (If you have not, you can find a couple of the illustrated pages here: http://meridthgimbel.blogspot.ca/201...kin-giant.html and the full text here: http://www.soupsong.com/fpumpki2.html ).

I stumbled across it in the library of the small town I grew up in not too long after I learned to read, so maybe six years old? It was the first time that I really thought about fat stuff. I think I already knew, at some fundamental level, that I liked fat, but that it was not generally approved of. (re-reading it now, I'm sure I didn't understand all of the words, but I certainly caught the gist of the story. I didn't tell anyone older, with a better vocabulary, about the story because I knew a lot of people would not approve of it, and I didn't want to hear the criticism)

In this story the sort-of-hero and heroine were so fat that they couldn’t walk, and only rolled around. On the one hand that seemed very limiting to me, I like walking, running, skating, skiing, and riding my bike all over town. On the other, having a safe place where you could be as fat as you wanted, with someone else who was happy being fat (and implicitly—eating as much as you wanted and never worrying about getting fatter) was very appealing. You’d give up a lot, but might it be worth it?

I didn’t think about it in so many words, but the mere fact that someone had written this story, and someone had published it, that said that there were people willing to write about fat characters without moralizing lectures about the evils of fat. That mattered to me a lot too.

I wonder how much that shaped my fat appreciation, the whole being an FA who wants to be fat, believing that fat could be associated with a ‘happily ever after’ ending? What if my first big exposure had been one of those cartoons where a character got really fat and then something horrible happened to them, reinforcing that some people might happily get fat, but nothing good would come of it?

What were your first exposures to fat stuff when you were growing up, and do you think they shaped your feelings in this area?

Last edited by Tad; 09-30-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: fixed link, hopefully
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

This is a really great idea for a thread. I'll have to give this some serious thought. I have NO idea what my first encounter with "fat stuff" was. It will be interesting to see that replies to this.
FluffyButterfly80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just to note, your two links are actually the same. Both are the full text. I've never heard of that story before. I can't figure out how child-me would have taken it, because it's very different from the things I encountered at that age.

As for some of the things I remember:

When I was very young (I'm going to have to say pre-elementary school,) my favorite fictional character was always Winnie the Pooh. Which, from what I've seen, isn't all that uncommon for people into fat. That was probably my first experience of a character not minding being chubby and unapologetically enjoying food (well, honey, but still.)

When I was in kindergarten - so, about 5 - I remember finding a Garfield book in the library, where he ate too much lasagne and got fat. Child-me was like, whoa whoa whoa, let's slow down a bit here. I was so intrigued and confused by it that my tiny body seemingly didn't know how to process it. I think it's also probably the clearest instantiation of food being tied into my interest.

A little later, in first grade, our class had this thing where we would have to read a story aloud to the rest of the class. Being pretty much pathologically shy and socially anxious, I was already dreading this. Worse yet, the story I was given required me to actually say the word 'fat' once. I don't know why this was so intimidating to me; maybe I assumed that EVERYONE had the same preoccupation that I did. Actually, I didn't feel comfortable saying the word for way too long...maybe like how some people think they can't speak the name of God For years and years, I'd blush and shy away any time someone said it in the general vicinity of me.

The rest of my early experience is confined to cartoons, where over-eating was typically seen as a guilty pleasure and being fat was viewed neutrally at best, often something to be self-conscious of. Taking into consideration my overly strong reactions and rarely overtly positive exposures to fat, I think I began to focus on the aspect of specifically deviating from the mainstream and partaking in indulgence even thought it was disapproved of (maybe in the aforementioned guilty pleasure sort of way.) I liked the idea of reassuring someone about something that they'd generally get shit for...even though I didn't like the fact that they'd get shit for it?

I think the biggest thing for me to deal with when I was young was discovering/comprehending that everyone didn't feel the same way I did. Even from depictions of fat that weren't really positive, it was feasible to hold up the delusion that everyone cared about it as much as I did. But I remember, maybe around 3rd grade, going to an amusement park with a friend and waiting in line for bumper carts. The guy running the ride was really big and I felt weird about even having to walk past him. Afterwards, my friend asked "Did you see his bracelet? It was really cool!" Like, what? He was wearing a fucking bracelet? Where are your priorities here?!

So that's my way-too-long post on the topic, but it's probably easily the weirdest and strongest I've ever felt about...anything at some point in my life.

Last edited by Amaranthine; 09-30-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Just to note, your two links are actually the same. Both are the full text.
Fixed now--thanks for pointing it out (the guilty pleasure of Mod powers, being able to fix your random mistakes well after the fact)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think my earliest memory of being exposed to "fat" was back in the 4th grade, maybe 5th. I was in a very small private school and some of the classes were combined with the grade above mine. There was a fat girl in the grade above me and she and I got along well as friends.

One day we had to arrange the classroom for an activity and this girl put her chair next to a friend of mine I wanted to sit next to. Being a feisty little boy I slid into her chair. She smiled and just sat on my lap. I was a little embarrassed to have a fat girl sitting on my lap. The whole class was laughing at me. Still, something ignited in me. Aside from being humiliated in front of the class, I found I enjoyed it. I wished it would happen without everyone else watching so I could enjoy it without being laughed at.

After that, this girl and I became closer friends. We spent recess together, and her home was a short walk away from mine, so I'd hang out at her house a lot. I was too afraid to try to kiss her, and this apprehension was mutual, but we spent a lot of time cuddling in her room, with her sitting on my lap. She would take my hands and place them on her soft belly and tell me to squeeze. I often got teased for having a "fat girlfriend" which is almost a death sentence on the playground for a little boy.

She moved away a short time later. I always found myself admiring the fat girls after that, but I also grew more conscious of self image and decided having a fat girlfriend was bad for me. By high school I was dismissive to fat girls entirely, even though deep down inside I thought they were pretty. It took until a broken engagement with a toxic woman when I was 24 before I began to explore my love for fat girls.

I credit my school friend. She friended me on FB a few years ago and we reminisced. She's over 300 pounds now and I told her I credit her with my love for overweight women. She said that made her feel good.
happily_married is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Tad
mostly harmless

Interesting story HM! I'm curious to hear if the relationship the two of you had helped her to feel more confident, but I guess you can't really ask that sort of question.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Really interesting topic!

I don't remember whether or not these books were the first time I experienced 'fat stuff' but I was very young when I read them, it was before I went to nursery and I started there when I was 3, so before that I guess.

Anyway, two books come to mind. I don't remember the name of the books but I would love to find them again some time! One involved a litter of kittens as the main characters but they stood on their back legs like humans and the book had pictures in it. There were female kittens and one ginger tom kitten and the story involved their mother dressing them up for some sort of formal event later. The clothes fit the girl kittens perfectly but the tom kitten was very chubby and the clothes were straining around the buttons and the mother kitten was chastising him for this. The kittens were allowed to play outside for a bit before whatever the event was and the girl kittens got their dresses all dirty and the tom kitten was running around and burst all the buttons off his clothes because he was too chubby for them. Their mother was upset with them when they got back. ....urrrrg, just explaining this makes me blush and feel all uncomfortable and I have no idea why! The other story was a similar thing with a bunch of rabbits. Again, two females and a chubby male one. I don't remember as much of this one but it involved a lot of searching for food, eating a lot and popping buttons, again. There was also a third story, one of the 'Animals of Farthing Wood' stories where one of the characters teases the owl for being 'portly' and the owl flies off in a huff. I had to ask my mother what that word meant and was so embarrassed when I found out!

Come to think of it, maybe this is where some of my liking of button popping and teasing comes from?

Also, Amaranthine, I also used to be super uncomfortable with any mention of fatness or anything else and would blush like mad and not know how to react. So I am glad it isn't just me who used to have that!

I also remember that we read a story in school where we had to read out loud and the story involved a chubby boy and there was one scene where he was being teased for it and I found that soooo awkward! We also learnt spelling through a series of audio tapes called 'Fat Sam and the Tramp' and that involved a lot of over eating, clothes ripping and chairs breaking and stuff!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
happily_married

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Interesting story HM! I'm curious to hear if the relationship the two of you had helped her to feel more confident, but I guess you can't really ask that sort of question.
After a little more thought I think I was closer to 6th grade in my story. I was 12 or so years old.

You are right, it would be hard to just ask her how she felt later in her life. I think I picked up a few other fascinations as a result of my time with her. When we chatted on fb a few years ago she brought up a few of them. Kind of a "remember how we liked to pretend..." I was glad to hear from her and relive a few of those memories.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

I can honestly say I pretty much went my entire life not knowing about this side of the "fat stuff".

Bar this one time that this guy I was chatting to (and fancied a lot at the time) asked me if i could eat 2 whole pizzas and he said he got off on the thought of it. I was very confused and kinda scared lol.

Then I met my (now) husband. When we first got into bed together (i'm not proud to say it but that was the first date lol), he wasn't interested in boobs or anything else - it was just straight to my belly. I WAS MORTIFIED. I've spent my entire fat life covering up that area, I always had sex with t-shirts on and he just full-on dived underneath the t-shirt and went for it. It was so damn awkward for me, but he seemed to be getting off on it. So I sorta just...went along with it.

I gotta say - after that night I was so puzzled! When his little description on his dating profile online said he liked big girls, I was just thinking "oh that means he just doesn't mind them" not "OMG I WANT THEM SO BADLY I CAN'T EVER BE ATTRACTED TO SKINNIER GIRLS" It took me a couple of months to get into this whole new world that i'd been thrown into the deep-end (Thanks J >_>). But I guess it's made me feel a lot more confident about my body.

Before then - I wore hoodies ALL THE TIME. Even in the summer, just as a way of a protective barrier i guess to hide my tummy. The very thought of going around in just a t-shirt and short jeans was unheard of :P I feel a lot better knowing that I am considered sexy to a lot of men. I thought I was just repulsive to all
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Awww, it is so sad to think that somebody as cute as you ever thought you were unattractive, Deacone! I'm glad your husband managed to make you feel better about yourself. =)
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Awww, it is so sad to think that somebody as cute as you ever thought you were unattractive, Deacone! I'm glad your husband managed to make you feel better about yourself. =)
Awww I love you loopy
Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #12
Dex

Dex can now change their title

I remember a story that was told at school....this was back in the early 1970's! It was about two best friends, one fat and one thin. They lived in a society where there were around equal numbers of fat and thin people. One day, the "ruler" of the land demanded that all of the fat people had to live in one town and all the thin people had to live in another town and could never mingle ever again (not sure how that came about) Anyway, the two friends were devastated that they would never see one another again. That's all I remember so not sure how the story ended. I think the name of the fat town was Fattypuff and the thin town was Thinifer? Does anyone else remember this story (from the UK) ?
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
happily_married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I remember a story that was told at school....this was back in the early 1970's! It was about two best friends, one fat and one thin. They lived in a society where there were around equal numbers of fat and thin people. One day, the "ruler" of the land demanded that all of the fat people had to live in one town and all the thin people had to live in another town and could never mingle ever again (not sure how that came about) Anyway, the two friends were devastated that they would never see one another again. That's all I remember so not sure how the story ended. I think the name of the fat town was Fattypuff and the thin town was Thinifer? Does anyone else remember this story (from the UK) ?
I am not familiar with the story, but I think it is a powerful testament to stories like this one. In every discussion like this one I've ever been a part of, several will mention a classroom or childhood story the were exposed to as a child. We are so impressionable when we are young and it really is amazing to me how a lot of those early impressions really stay with us and shape who we become.

Last edited by happily_married; 10-05-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
happily_married

I wanted to share another deep and long-lasting impression I developed from the girl in my story above. It involves a vore fetish, which I realize is not for everyone. Rather than spell it out here, I'll link a post I made on a different thread. Enter at your own risk!

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...2&postcount=39
Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 clubLarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 clubLarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 clubLarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 clubLarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 clubLarryTheNoodleGuy is a member of the 500 club

I was around 8, and I had developed a stomach over the winter. It was spring now.

We were all in line waiting to go back into the school building after recess, and the girl in front of me turned around to talk to me. All of a sudden, she took the back of her hand and lightly banged my stomach with the express purpose of making it jiggle. I was still just a boy, and hadn't thought about sucking it in or anything - you know how children are completely relaxed in their bodies before they learn to stand straight and all? I was like that - stomach just completely relaxed, full of jello.

She batted my belly and it jiggled as she wished, seemingly for 5-10 seconds, OMG, and she smiled, and I got reddddd in the face but secretly loved it.
LarryTheNoodleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I read it in French: Patapoufs et Filifers (Fattypuffs and Thinifers), by Andre Maurois. The two main characters are brothers, Thierry and Edmond, who discover an underground world where two separate countries, one inhabited entirely by fat, laid-back people (and with very 19th-century style architecture, etc) is at war with a country of thin, fierce people (with very 1930s Modernist architecture) are at war over an island that lies between their two realms (presumably inhabited by medium-size people).
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #17
Dex

Dex can now change their title

Ah Yes, it's coming back to me a little more clearly now. Thank you for the input.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #18
shadowedmorning

shadowedmorning does more than just post hot picsshadowedmorning does more than just post hot picsshadowedmorning does more than just post hot picsshadowedmorning does more than just post hot pics

I wish I could say my first experiences with anything fat related were positive, but everything about fat was bad bad bad when I was growing up. My first recollection, in fact, is being about 8 or 9 and going to the doctor because I was putting on weight and my parents were concerned. They tested me for thyroid and diabetes and found that I was perfectly healthy, just chubby.

A year later, I spent 4 or 5 months living with my grandma who both supplied me with sweets (uh, hello, Nutty Bars, looking at you) and shamed me for eating them, a very confusing message to a 10-year-old. I put on a bunch of weight during that time.

From then on is a spiral of negativity and me hiding in the pantry eating. I remember going to the store to try on clothes and not being able to find anything that fit. My parents repeatedly told me that I wouldn't find anyone to love me if I was overweight ("If someone loves me they shouldn't care what I look like," I said. "But they have to be attracted to you first, and boys aren't attracted to fat girls," they said). I was constantly criticized for what I was eating ("Do you really need to eat that? Haven't you had enough? You should eat some fruit or vegetables instead. I wish you cared more about yourself"), so I started sneaking food and hiding to eat it.

When the internet came to my world around the time I was 15, I suddenly found a place where people liked me and my fat wasn't a contributing factor to their opinions or my own self-consciousness. All of the guys I've been with between 15 & now are in the "don't care that you're fat" category. This is the first time I've experienced people actually being attracted to it, and I think it's incredibly awesome. My parents were wrong, after all.
shadowedmorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Deliciousdreams

Deliciousdreams can now change their title

The earliest exposure I can recall clearly was a book called The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food. I remember reading it almost obsessively. I was fascinated by the idea that my body could change just from food. Around that time I recall asking my teacher if she was still growing like kids and she told me that adults didn't get taller, but they could get bigger around, so I think that had a lot to do with my early curiosity.
Deliciousdreams is offline   Reply With Quote