Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Do you order groceries?

I have read that some of DIMMERS who do not have a car or are homebound order their groceries delivered. I made a little discovery this weekend that may help with ice cream.

During Thanksgiving and Christmas, in my retail store dairy cooler, I find quarts or half gallons of liquid custard. This is usually used to make fast eggnog for parties (the liquor hasn't been added yet). The lovely blend is also pasteurized so you don't have to worry about the raw eggs and milk in it.

This weekend I needed some vanilla ice cream and did not have any. I had the custard tho, so I poured a cup or so of it in plastic containers and let it freeze. After a couple of hours I had some really tasty vanilla ice cream. (Because it is not cranked, it has some ice crystals in it, but those are good too.)

I don't see why you couldn't add chocolate or other flavorings to it as well.
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

A few years back I used to have milk and dairy delivery. The service expanded to include a full grocery catalog but it was getting very pricey.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have a lot of heavy staples delivered but fresh produce, dairy, and meat, I pick up at the store.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For those who aren't homebound or know someone who loves to thrift shop and might keep their eyes open for you, ice cream makers are often found at thrift stores for 10-20 dollars. We've got three in my family. All thrift store finds, and I gave one to a coworker a couple .months ago. I just saw one again today.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not homebound but I do get my groceries delivered. I'm waiting for a delivery right now!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't drive, so it's either go out shopping and then get a cab back, or order online and get them delivered and brought upstairs for me. I loooooove having them delivered first thing in the morning, so they're put away and done before it's time to get going.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd only order groceries online if I had no other options. I am weird about actually wanting to see and inspect my food before I bring it home.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
I'd only order groceries online if I had no other options. I am weird about actually wanting to see and inspect my food before I bring it home.
Amen. It's hard enough to find decent veggies as it is; you pretty much have to know when the store gets its produce delivered and get there first. For staples, however, online ordering can work. I happen to like the coffee with chicory from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans, and it's easier and more convenient to order it online than to make the rounds of the local stores in hopes one of them will have it in stock.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
Me, too....and I like price comparing brands side by side. I find comfort in going out food shopping.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The produce I get in my deliveries is of better quality than what's usually available in store. If I drove (I had 3 lessons 12 years ago and haven't had any more since) then it might be different. I'm all about convenience, and having someone else lug the shopping up the stairs definitely appeals.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been looking into my options for this service as my mobility is pretty precarious with the MS and groceries, bad balance and a flight of stairs don't mix well.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i know my brother orders some grocery items off amazon. many years ago i used to have schwan's deliver to the house. they sold ice cream but not milk. i think now you can order online including veg and they will deliver to the door.

charlotte used to have a grocery service called lettuce carry. it went out of business and i don't think anything has replaced it. i think too many people here drive and there are too many local stores to make it viable in this market.
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Mathias
SAMCRO

Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mathias has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I used a site called Freshdirect.com and they'll be delivering on Thursday morning. I'll update when my groceries come.

My wishlist
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have, once in a while, ordered them from Amazon.com. Buying in bulk is sometimes cheaper than buying at the grocery store. However, I don't make a regular habit of it.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If you get groceries delivered, how much do you tip? A flat amount? A percentage?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
penguin
Fnord

Nothing. We don't tip here.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I used a site called Freshdirect.com and they'll be delivering on Thursday morning. I'll update when my groceries come.
I have been using fresh direct for a few months. They are pricey but good quality. I like that I can get the option of having my meats vacuum sealed. Their sales are the real deals. They also carry a huge amount of organic products.

SVS. I tip 5 bucks always makes them smile.
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #18
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

We also don't tip UPS drivers in my state.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been getting groceries delivered for years. I don't drive so it saves time, I have two and a half jobs. They bring it to me. I may have to look in to Freshdirect.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #20
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I've been getting groceries delivered for years. I don't drive so it saves time, I have two and a half jobs. They bring it to me. I may have to look in to Freshdirect.
I really like them and have found their brand name products very good.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The UPS guy doesn't stay around long enough to get a tip.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #22
EvilPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
Before you try hit me up on face book, they have some good sign up deals and if they are expired, they do referral $$ to both parties
Old 11-29-2015, 04:48 AM   #23
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board

I order groceries few times a year. Unable to travel to shop at grocery shops abroad which was a vacation/holiday activity I really liked, to bring back spices, jams , teas, cookies, etc for my kitchen. Unable to grocery shop where I live too tiring.
I order from www.allyouneedfresh.com which delivers to several european countries. They have lots of nice teas ,chocolates so around the holidays like xmas I order online from them.Allthough site is in german you can browse items. Neuheiten = new products.
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i also post on a garden forum. one of the guys on there ordered meat through a company called zaycon. he says the meat is awesome and a better deal than the stores. you order online and get a conf number. then they pick a delivery point in your area, a giant refridge truck pulls up and gives you your order. goes from the fridge truck to your cooler. no middle man.

they do have services in the charlotte area, so i signed up. i am going to order the hamburger and see how it goes. it is much cheaper on there for the extra lean than it is in the stores here.

not sure they cover every area, but here is the link in case anyone is interested.

https://www.zayconfresh.com/
Old 04-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #25
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm going to sign up for Amazon Prime, since they discount for college kids. Cheap, convenient way to supplement the dining common food with some yummy dorm snacks, plus get school supplies, toiletries and the like.