Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 12-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Bigsweetguy619

Bigsweetguy619 can now change their title
Default Help with winter sport clothing.

It's very last minute, have a road trip in less than a week and will be staying at a Ski resort in Utah. I want to tryout Skiing/ Snowboarding but have had no luck finding clothes for very big guys. Also if any of you 400+ pound men have done winter sports, how was the turn out, I'm afraid of causing an avalanche or turning into a huge rolling snowball like in the cartoons. Any tips welcome!
Bigsweetguy619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ski boots could be difficult if you have big calves, just as a heads up.

Clothes can be tough, for a shorter lesson might live with layering, if you can find long underwear that fits (depends on how cold it is). Because in general sports gear for big guys can be hard to find, especially without time for mail order.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Hozay J Garseeya
Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.Hozay J Garseeya has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One of my coworkers has been inviting me "bouldering" and I was looking at climbing pants. I quickly realized that fat people don't climb up giant rocks without harnesses.

What am I supposed to wear?!?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sounds like chances to invent something that seems to be needed....
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
RJI
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

RJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging inRJI makes people happy simply by logging in

Ski pants in our sizes may not be so easy to find.

Do you have a casual male/destination XL near you? If not check their website out.
http://www.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/

You may not find ski clothes but you can layer up with thermals etc to keep warm.

Snow tubing is awesome since we can achieve greater speeds from gravity.

Have fun!

:eat1:
RJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Bigsweetguy619

Found some 5XL Ski pants on Amazon and placed an order, I lucked out and they offered 2 day shipping and it got here 1 day early! Pants were the problem, jackets and such I have had better luck finding, just indecisive about which style/color. I have both casual male and DXL near me and am a platinum member, they just didn't have winter sport clothes Thanks all for the suggestions. Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Let us know how the snow sports go!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For snow sports, layers are your friend. I always wear multiple layers and pack extra gloves, neck warmers, etc. As far as jackets, I love having vents in mine. I can keep them closed if it's cold, and open them up when I've worked up a sweat on a difficult trail or if it's warmer than expected. And having an uncommon color doesn't hurt, my brother wears mostly all black and if he gets a bit ahead of me I have a hard time picking him out of the crowd. My mom's jacket was purple and made it super easy to spot her.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Bigsweetguy619

True about the colors, but no one ever has a hard time picking me out, I am the biggest object in sight 99% of the time. I'll probably end up picking a grey or black lol, I just can't imagine buying a yellow jacket and looking like the Sun or something colorful and appearing like a piece of giant fruit.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Kingsizedirect has snow pants up to size 8X.

http://www.kingsizedirect.com/large-...ppos=46&Splt=0

I've bought stuff from these guys and was quite pleased. Their sizing runs a bit large.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsweetguy619 View Post
True about the colors, but no one ever has a hard time picking me out, I am the biggest object in sight 99% of the time. I'll probably end up picking a grey or black lol, I just can't imagine buying a yellow jacket and looking like the Sun or something colorful and appearing like a piece of giant fruit.
Oh, but yellow can be so, well, obvious! And fun!

Many years ago I was at Universal Studios theme park in Orlando when I noticed a young couple doing roughly the same loop through the park as I was. Both of them were above average height - she perhaps 5'9', he an inch or two above 6 feet. She was a goodly size, but he was in the SSBHM category - and they were wearing matching clothes, brilliant yellow t-shirts and white shorts and running shoes. Their shirts were custom lettered in gold 'Ray Boy' and 'Tasha'.

Frankly, with his massive gut and chest filling that bright yellow and gold shirt, he looked like the Sun God - and the colours made a very fitting contrast to his and his companions dark chocolate skin tones.

But, it would take a certain confidence to carry off bright colours, I'll admit. But my ski jacket and pants are both bright red....
Old 01-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
bayone

bayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybayone is a pillar of the Dimensions community

ALL HAIL RAY BOY
bayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
BigWheels
It's OK, I bite back

BigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 clubBigWheels is a member of the 500 club

if it was hunting clothing, I could give ya direction. But fat guys don't tend to strap sticks to their feet.

I live in a normally colder climate (upper Vermont, not far from the border) & I don't generally try to find snow pants, but boots I have had lots of luck with.

HOWEVER, on that note, if you contact LL Bean, they can do custom orders for larger sizes. I do own several custom made items from Columbia, L.L. Bean, & North Face. So pick your poison, and ask them. They may be able to help you... good luck!

L.L.Bean
95 Main Street
Freeport, ME 04032
1-877-755-2326
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
fat hiker

There was a BHM skier (a ski instructor, no less, with the official jacket and all) at the Vorlage ski hill last Sunday wearing Dickies insulated Bib Overalls as ski pants, like these:
http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...rall-TB246.jsp