Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 05-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Canada weighs in a bit

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sity-1.3078643
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't like it on many levels, one being that fanatical convert attitude that many people get when it comes to weight loss, including making broad, sweeping statement and being incredibly aggressive about their own agenda. The Canadian health care system has never been about 'saving money' ; if I recall offhand I think about $.50 of every dollar of taxes goes into the health care system in one way or another. Canada doesn't have the same level of massive obesity problem as the U.S. in general; how many people would 'qualify' for this surgery, that it would impact our entire system so broadly? I don't want this to happen, as I have many loved ones in this age bracket, but we will see a bigger relief on the health care system once the baby boomers have passed away. And that is simply from a ratio of working age to retirement age individuals.

However if one goes with the Canadian mindset of all medical issues should be addressed in a timely way: IF you have a potentially life threatening condition that would be made impossible or highly difficult (meaning increased risk of dying under the knife)...the option should be made available sooner than a wait of three years.

But all that is beyond the fact that it's goddamn surgery. My best friend died under the knife in a routine surgery; it's not a game, it's not for fun. I don't like this 'cosmetic' surgery trend which also includes eye surgery. I've contemplated eye surgery myself, and my biggest turnoff is that they have made it into a day surgery sales pitch. These are my EYES - I wont get them back! I'd rather someone who is dead serious than a winking salesman who tells me I have a full year without payments. Same with your stomach; you can't just stuff the bits you took out back in. There are no oopsies, and no backsies. And if you die, people will ultimately just shrug and say it happens.

Personally, I think all major, non life threatening surgeries should have a wait period for you to cool your heels, debate the pros and cons, and see if life choices can impact whatever ails you...
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post

... if I recall offhand I think about $.50 of every dollar of taxes goes into the health care system in one way or another.
... .
Actually no. In 2009 Canada spent $137,300,000,000 on healthcare out of total tax revenue (Provincial and Federal) of $585,799,000,000. That works out to 23.4%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...ovt01a-eng.htm
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I am not sure how it will effect things in Canada. But here people who really don't need the surgery are getting it. Most people go right to surgery instead of trying to fix the problem on their own first. I mean to each his own, but I think that surgery should be the last resort.

I am going in for weight loss surgery, but it is a last resort. I have tried to lose weight on my own and with a trainer and with diets of all kinds, but I lose 40 and plateau.. I can't lose more than that no matter what I do or how drastic I cut my calories or how much more exercise I do.

To be honest I rather not get the surgery, but my knees are suffering and I hate not being as mobile as I was when I was in my 20's. I know I am older, but I hate not being more mobile. I am trying my best to eat healthier and exercise more to see if i can have a steady weight loss of at least 2 pounds a month. It is slow, but it is something. If I can do that and keep losing and go past that 40 lb plateau, then I will not get the surgery.

In the US most of the HMO's pay for it because it is cheaper than having someone "unhealthy" (as they like to refer to fat people) and using up more resources. They look at it as a money issue rather than a health issue.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post

However if one goes with the Canadian mindset of all medical issues should be addressed in a timely way: IF you have a potentially life threatening condition that would be made impossible or highly difficult (meaning increased risk of dying under the knife)...the option should be made available sooner than a wait of three years.

Canada is actually very good at getting critically ill people into surgery. A few years ago my dad collapsed while waiting for a taxi in front of his apartment in Vancouver. He had heart surgery the same day.

WLS poses a problem in that we're talking about "potentially" life threatening conditions and conditions that may not manifest for years or even decades. To use the article's example -- while it may be a good idea for a 30 something woman who weighs 270 pound to lose weight -- if she doesn't she's not about to drop dead any time soon. Also, a 500 plus pound person with multiple life threatening conditions now may not actually be a good candidate for WLS (i.e. may not survive the surgery).

A triage system is needed (something Americans hate to talk about although their insurance companies deny care all the time). The 500 pound person with severe co-morbidities may never get surgery. A healthier 400 pound person may move to the front of the line (i.e the person for who the surgery will provide the greatest potential benefit). The 270 pound lady may have to wait three years.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
A triage system is needed (something Americans hate to talk about although their insurance companies deny care all the time). The 500 pound person with severe co-morbidities may never get surgery. A healthier 400 pound person may move to the front of the line (i.e the person for who the surgery will provide the greatest potential benefit). The 270 pound lady may have to wait three years.
I am not sure if they deny people as much anymore. Most HMO's here require people to do 6 months of nutrition classes, group therapy classes, then you have to do 2 sessions with a psychologist.. and a whole battery of medical exams like stress test, endoscopy, sleep test, etc....this is how the deem someone viable for the surgery or not. They make people wait at least 6 months to get the surgery..
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
I am not sure if they deny people as much anymore. Most HMO's here require people to do 6 months of nutrition classes, group therapy classes, then you have to do 2 sessions with a psychologist.. and a whole battery of medical exams like stress test, endoscopy, sleep test, etc....this is how the deem someone viable for the surgery or not. They make people wait at least 6 months to get the surgery..
My comment wasn't limited to WLS regarding which its my understanding that insurance company policies vary greatly. My wife had a fairly easy time getting approval. Her mom (who is scheduled for WLS in a few weeks) has a different health plan and had to jump through a lot more hoops (took way over a year) even though she's using the same surgeon. My wife and I pay extra for the upgraded health plan available through her employer (a large SoCal county). People who choose the basic plan have a much harder time accessing WLS.

Best of luck with your surgery if that's the way you ultimately go.