Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Library > Public Library

Old 06-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Kelby and Will - By Undine (~BHM, ~BBW, ~~FA, ~FFA)

BHM, BBW, ~FA, FFA - A young woman struggles with her attraction to larger men and her own weight issues.

Kelby and Will

By Undine

Kelby wandered along the aisle, here and there seeing something she needed and dropping it into her basket. The harsh fluorescent lights of the supermarket were making her eyes hurt; it was dark and dreary outside and she supposed they were just too bright, reflecting off of the white interior. After depositing a pack of double-fudge mint cream cookies in amongst her items, she shifted the basket to her other hand and rubbed her eyes. As she looked up, she caught sight of a guy at the other end of the aisle, looking at the chips.

“Wow…” she breathed. He was tall, perhaps a little over six feet, with gleaming dark curls, smooth pale skin, and a very large frame. She estimated him to be at least 320 pounds, with chubby cheeks, thick arms, a rounded bottom, and an absolutely delicious belly that stretched out his brown t-shirt and hung down a bit over the waistband of his jeans, obscuring any evidence of a belt. He was engrossed in reading the back of a bag of chips, then placed them in his nearly-full cart and grabbed two more bags. Kelby’s breathing began to quicken – he was gorgeous.

She began to slowly move down the aisle to get a better look at him, pretending to be looking for something. Then a disapproving voice spoke in her head: You’re being weird again, Kelby, stop with this fat thing. She shook her head, trying to silence her inner critic. She’d always been attracted to heavy guys, but had never dated one. Never really dated anyone, the voice mocked her.

She furrowed her brow. The fat thing had always kind of scared her – she’d never heard of anyone liking someone because of excess poundage, but she undeniably did. She’d known since ninth grade, when a new art teacher came to her school. He was just out of college, a jovial young man with chocolate-colored hair and a laughing voice. He was also in the neighborhood of 400 pounds, and Kelby was smitten with him. She’d always enjoyed art class, but Mr. Swenson’s arrival turned it into something that she pined for all day until sixth period, and then again as soon as she walked out the art room door, though at first she couldn’t understand why. One day at the end of Drawing II the second half of freshman year, Kelby caught herself mesmerized by the sight of Mr. Swenson’s large belly wobbling from side to side as he erased the board, and it hit her like a boulder dropped from the sky: fat was incredibly hot to her. She’d never forget the way his paunch pressed into her back when he would lean over her to look at her work, always giving her a smile and telling her she was doing fantastically. Kelby had always been afraid that the shivers this induced would be a giveaway to her feelings, or else would offend him, but he never gave any indication that he suspected anything. During high school, Kelby had taken every art class her school offered, and not just because she liked art.

While the realization that she liked fat guys sometimes caused her to wonder about her sanity, it ultimately didn’t matter one bit. Kelby had been painfully shy most of her life. She’d had a few friends, but none of them were the sort one would tell this kind of strange secret to. She’d also had one sort-of boyfriend, who’d been from a different school and had only lasted half of her senior year, but he hadn’t been the slightest bit fat and had ended up doing some pretty nasty things to her. So her high school years had been quite lonely. She preferred not to attract any attention to herself, so she steered clear of most extracurricular activities, save the art club. Kelby herself was somewhat overweight, and terribly self-conscious of the fact. She was often teased by the pretty, popular girls and their guy friends, even though she knew she wasn’t all that big.

Yeah, nothing compared to now, the voice berated her.

Shut up, she told it, sneaking another glance at the big guy, who was now browsing the cookies on her side of the aisle, no more than fifteen feet away. Her eyes danced over his body, drinking in the details. He had a sweet little double chin – clean-shaven – and wonderfully soft-looking love handles at his sides. And that belly… Kelby nearly licked her lips at the sudden image of herself grabbing a handful of it, feeling its suppleness, pulling his weight on top of her…

She looked up to his face, and to her horror, saw that he was frozen, staring right back at her with an expression of pained anger upon his handsome face. She opened her mouth, but nothing would come out. He threw the package of Oreos he’d had in his hands back on the shelf, turned, and walked out of the aisle.

“Oh, no,” she muttered. “Good job, Kelby.” She glumly continued her shopping, hoping to catch another glimpse of the guy, if only to give him a little smile or something to try and repair her mistake, but she didn’t see him. When she was turning into the last aisle, two loud, familiar, girly voices came drifting toward her, and she hurried back into the aisle she’d just been in.

“Please don’t let them see me, please don’t let them see me…” she prayed as she dashed behind a display for frozen shrimp. Kelby had hoped to escape Annie’s and Jess’ tormenting when she went to college, but there was a great university just thirty miles from her hometown which nearly her entire graduating class had decided to attend, the two bubbleheads included. They had been on the other end of campus last year, but Kelby had heard that the pair would be sharing an apartment in her building this year. And if they were shopping at this grocery store, it must mean that they had already moved in. Kelby had been there alone all summer to take classes, and had immensely enjoyed the peace and quiet of having her own apartment in an almost-empty building. But now…

“…and did you see Joey?” one of them squeaked, their voices getting closer.

“Omigod! He got sooooo hot!” the other one replied.

“We’re totally going to have to have a party next weekend, and invite, like, everybody.”

“That sounds, like, so awesome!” Jess said, her highlighted ponytail bouncing, as they came into view.

Kelby held her breath, crossing her fingers, hoping they wouldn’t turn down her aisle. Thankfully, they kept moving past the aisle’s end and went into the next one. She exhaled sharply, and hurried through the last aisle so she could check out.

She was unloading her basket onto the conveyor belt when she heard them again, approaching her from behind. Her muscles immediately tensed, and she could feel her pulse quicken in fear. Maybe if I just…if I just don’t turn around, she thought desperately. She dumped out the rest of her basket and tossed a divider behind her items, silently damning the grocery store, for only having one lane open, and the person in front of her, who had had two carts full of items.

“Yeah, so, like, where should we go tonight?”

“I heard that Sigma Phi is having a pre-classes bash at their house. We should totally go, it’s toga.”

“Omigosh! Like, awesome!” Jess said excitedly.

“Yeah, I heard that Josh is pledging them this year, I so hope he gets in.”

“Yeah, the more hot guys at their parties, the more I’ll go to!”

“OMIGAWD!” Annie squawked.

“Wow, you’re, like, loud, Annie. What?”

“Isn’t that, like, that Kelby girl?” Annie said, making an effort to lower her voice but failing.

Kelby could feel her ears beginning to burn, but she resolutely stayed facing the cashier.

“You mean that loser we went to high school with? I think so,” Jess replied, no quieter.

“Yeah, it totally is. Wow.”

“Yeah, wow. She got huge,” Jess commented.

Kelby felt her neck flushing beneath her thick chestnut bun, and her eyes began to prick.

“Yeah,” Annie agreed, “she looks like a cow. I mean, she was always, like, fat, but now she’s really gross. She had to have gained, like, at least twenty pounds,” she said knowingly.

Thirty, the nasty little voice in Kelby’s head piped up. Her vision was blurring, and she tried to blink the saline away.

“Ugh, like, who does she think she is, wearing that?” Jess said in disgust.

Kelby looked down at her jean shorts and t-shirt. They are too tight, aren’t they? she thought miserably. She shifted her weight quickly, crossing her arms over her belly.

“Eww, can you say ‘cellulite’? People who look like that shouldn’t be allowed to wear anything but a big sack.”

Jess laughed. “And look what she’s buying! Like, omigosh!”

She glanced wildly at her items, which the cashier was just starting to run over the scanner. Cookies, chips, ice cream, candy, mozzarella sticks, frozen pizzas… A single tear escaped her right eye and rolled down her cheek.

“Ew, you’d think she wanted to be disgusting or something, eating all that crap,” Annie commented. “I’ll bet she, like, goes home and eats it all tonight and then comes back tomorrow for more.”

Another tear leaked out.

“Ugh. Did she, like, ever even have a boyfriend?” Jess wondered.

“Omigosh, no way! No guy at our school would have touched her, like, ever! Not even the blind kid!” They both giggled. “I’ll bet,” Annie continued, “that she’s still never had a boyfriend. I’ll bet that she’s still never even been, like, screwed.”

“Well, like, God, who would want to touch all that disgusting fat?”

Kelby flinched, as if hit. The two girls laughed behind her as she fumbled for her money. When she turned slightly to hand it to the cashier – a tiny, withered-looking old man who seemed blissfully unaware of the show taking place in his line – she saw the big guy standing in line behind Jess and Annie. Oh, great, she thought. He was glaring at her tormentors, tapping his fingers on the handle of his cart. Tears were now flowing down her face uncontrollably, and she was shaking so hard as she took her change back that she dropped it. She quickly knelt down and gathered up her money as best as she could without being able to see, grabbed her bags, and fled the store, the sounds of their giggling ringing in her ears.

“Ugh, Kelby, why do you let them do that to you?” she berated herself as she searched for her car, a few raindrops falling from the deep charcoal sky onto her face, mingling with her tears. “Crap, why can’t I ever remember where I park?”

Someone was yelling behind her. “Hey! Hey, miss!”

She turned around and saw the hefty guy she’d been ogling jogging towards her, his physique jiggling enticingly. Her eyes widened, and she backed up a few steps, but he was coming straight at her.

“Hey –“ He stopped in front of her. “You – dropped this – at the – register,” he gasped, holding something out to her.

She tentatively reached out for it, and saw that it was a twenty dollar bill. “Oh, my gosh…I-I didn’t even realize I’d dropped this. Thank you so much,” she told him quietly but gratefully.

He nodded, swallowing hard. “No problem.” He glanced around, then looked down at the ground before looking back at her tear-streaked face. “You okay?” He had a rich, deep voice that made her think of smooth black lava.

Kelby felt her face redden and her insides clench. “Um, yeah, f-fine.”

He nodded again. “Okay. Well…”

“Um, thanks…again. Not many people would have brought this back,” she said, holding up the money.

He shrugged. “I’d hope someone would do it for me.”

Now it was her turn to nod. “Well…”

“Uhh…have a nice day. Um, night,” he said.

“You, too.”

Her first two classes on Monday were great. She’d already learned some new tricks in Graphics, and though they hadn’t been able to do anything yet, Metal Sculpture II sounded really exciting. So even though she wasn’t particularly looking forward to it, she was in a good mood as she entered the science building for her only gen. ed., Health Issues in Today’s Society. She’d only had one class in this building before, Intro to Biology, so she had a little trouble finding the classroom, and ended up hurrying in with only three minutes before it started.

She sat in the back, pulled out a notebook and pen, and caught her breath, surveying the room. The class wasn’t nearly as big as she’d expected it to be, considering it was a gen. ed. About twenty people were spread out around the room, most of them appearing to be freshmen. But then – No, it can’t be, she thought, staring at dark curls and a wide back a few rows ahead of her. He turned around to check the clock, and Kelby shrunk in her seat, desperate to not be seen. It was the guy from the supermarket, looking even more handsome and chubby than the last time she’d seen him. He was wearing a plain blue button-down shirt which was stretched tight across his back, and Kelby spent the next two and a half minutes fantasizing about what it looked like around his belly until the professor entered the room.

“Good afternoon, class. I am Dr. Herndon, and this is Health Issues in Today’s Society,” the short, wiry woman said primly. “Let’s start by taking attendance, to make sure that everyone is where he or she should be. Azatti, Hannah?”

A girl near the front raised her hand, and the teacher continued to call out names. Kelby kept her eyes fixed on the supermarket guy, excited to find out his name. “Curfman, William?” Her guy raised his hand. “Do you prefer your name shortened in any way, Mr. Curfman?”

“Will is fine,” he replied in his smooth voice.

“Very good,” the teacher replied, jotting it down on her attendance chart. “Dorin, Kelby?”

Kelby raised her hand.

“Alright.” She continued to call out names, Kelby not recognizing any of them, until she said, “Ryan, Anne?”

“Call me Annie, thanks,” a voice squeaked near the front.

Oh, no, Kelby thought. Oh, no, oh, no, oh, no… She felt her good mood drain away.

“Smith, Jessalyn?”

Kelby’s eyed widened in dismay as a similarly squeaky voice spoke from the front, “Just call me Jess!”

Kelby only heard about half of the teacher’s introduction to the class, such was her anxiety at being in the same class as the two girls who had made her life hell since fifth grade. Please, don’t let us have to do anything in groups, please… she silently pleaded.

But then Dr. Herndon said, “The majority of the work you will do in this class will be in pairs. I have already selected these pairs, and will announce them now.

She felt like she was suffocating as the professor began to read off pairs of names.

“Jess Smith…”

Kelby stopped breathing altogether.

“…you will be with Will Curfman.”

Kelby exhaled. Okay, I’m not with Jess. Good so far.

“Kelby Dorin…you will be with…hmm…oh, yes, you’re with Anne – Annie Ryan.”

Kelby sucked air in too fast and choked a bit as the teacher passed around papers with the topics for their first presentation, and explained that she wanted the presentations to begin next week. Kelby glanced down at the paper and saw that she and Annie would be presenting next Wednesday, on the topic of smoking in public. Jess and Will’s first topic was childhood obesity. She winced and looked up at his back, suspecting from his reaction to her wandering eyes that this would be a terrible topic for him to cover.

“…and if there are any scheduling conflicts between you and your partner, please see me after class, and we can try to work something out,” Dr. Herndon was saying. “Class is dismissed.”

Kelby just sat there, still in shock. She would have to work with Annie Ryan, the girl who had encouraged their entire class to call her Jell-O (her reasoning being that Kelby jiggled when she walked). She noticed the rest of the class filing out around her, and Will still sitting in his seat, hunched over, his ears red. Annie and Jess were up at Dr. Herndon’s desk, talking animatedly to her.

“Kelby, Will. Can I see you both for a moment?” their professor called.

Kelby swallowed hard and gingerly slid out of her seat. When they had both reached her desk, she said, “Jess and Annie tell me that they both have very difficult schedules, being involved with cheerleading and their sorority and several other activities. But since they are roommates and are both involved in the same things, they have asked if it would be acceptable for them to partner up. As long as neither of you have any objection, I’ll allow them to, and I’ll put you two together. Do either of you have a problem with this?”

Kelby shook her head, and she saw Will doing the same out of the corner of her eye. She was immensely relieved, but at the same time panicked. She’d made a complete idiot out of herself in front of him, and now she was going to have to see him and work with him all the time. Her social skills had improved since she’d come to college, but she didn’t think she’d come far enough to handle this. But your alternative is working with Annie, she reminded herself.

“Very good,” Dr. Herndon nodded. “Now, the matter of topics…” She gave Kelby, then Will an appraising look, and gave a small nod. “Right. Jess and Annie, you will take childhood obesity, and Will and Kelby will tackle smoking. The topic dates are the same, just change the partners accordingly. Any more questions, please contact me; my number is on the syllabus.”

Dr. Herndon swiftly exited the room. Jess and Annie were bouncing joyfully, already chatting about the guest list for their party. Kelby and Will turned to each other. “Hi…again,” he said nervously.

She gave a timid smile, looking at a point over his left shoulder. “Hi.” She didn’t want to embarrass either of them again by letting her eyes drift to his body.

“So, uhh…I guess we should exchange schedules and screen names, I mean, we have to do this next week already.”

She nodded, and wordlessly walked back to her desk for a piece of paper and pen. She jotted down a quick list of her classes and their times, and her screen name. She looked up and saw that he was doing the same at his desk, his head bent low. Kelby took the opportunity to examine his middle, which looked even larger in the stiffer fabric of his button-down. She quickly averted her eyes as he straightened, and approached her desk.

They exchanged papers, and she spoke up. “It looks like we have pretty similar schedules…”

“Yeah,” he replied. “Do you want to set a time to meet now, or is there anything you need to check on first?”

“Umm, I don’t think so.”

“Okay,” he said, “how about tomorrow at six in the lobby of the library?”

Kelby nodded, and said, “That’s fine,” sneaking a glance up at his face. He had smooth, white skin, with chubby cheeks and full, soft-looking lips. She noticed that his eyes were a strikingly clear, pale grey, with heavy dark lashes. She sighed to herself, knowing that a social leper such as herself had no chance with a gorgeous guy like him, even if he wasn’t what society considered conventionally good-looking.

“Okay, I’ll see you then, Kelby,” he told her with a small smile.

Her lips curled up nervously as she said, “See you then, Will.”
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ugh, I’m so massive, was Kelby’s first thought upon waking Tuesday morning. Her jewelry-making class passed by in a blur as she fretted endlessly about her appearance. She returned to her apartment and took a long hot bath in an attempt to calm her nerves, but its effects were fleeting. When she’d dried, she’d pulled her entire wardrobe out in exasperation.

“Maybe I should tell him I can’t come,” she muttered, turning around in the mirror and critiquing the width of her soft hips and the mounds of flesh that popped over the sides of her pants. “Ugh, I can’t do that,” she reminded herself. “It’s not like I can put off our presentation for a month so I can stop eating and look half-decent.”

She yanked the pants off and threw them across her bedroom in frustration, then plopped down on her bed. She stared maliciously in the mirror, hating the way her belly stuck out, making her look like a female Buddha. She shook her head, grimacing at herself.

The phone rang. “Hello?”

“Hey, Kelby?”

“Oh, hey, Chelle. How are you?”

“Going nuts already,” her former roommate sighed.

“Why, what’s up?”

“Oh, I specifically requested that they not put me in with Laura, but guess who I have to share a room with?”

“Ouch,” Kelby said sympathetically. “How far did she get with her boy band posters?”

“Oh, I taped a line on the wall and the floor to divide the room in half,” Chelle told her seriously. “I told her that if she dared cross that line with any of her teeniebopper crap, I’d beat her with her cardboard standup of Justin Beiber.”

Kelby stifled a laugh. “Isn’t he only sixteen or something?”

She heard Chelle make a frustrated noise in the back of her throat. “She’ll wait for him, she says. Age is just a number. She will wed this man, she says.”

“Wow…I’m really sorry, Chelle. But you were the one who wanted to live with the volleyball team…”

“I know,” she moaned. “The rest of the girls are great to live with so far, but Laura is going to be the death of me. But enough about me, how are you?”

“Oh, I’m…” She sighed. “I’m okay, I guess.”

“You lonely over there in that huge, gorgeous apartment? ‘Cause I could totally come over tonight and keep you company.”

“Umm, sure, but it’ll have to be later; I…I have a…a meeting for a class.”

“Yeah, my health class. It’s all presentation and discussion.”

“Ew,” Chelle replied. “Well what are you doing now?”

“Umm…” she looked around her apparel-strewn bedroom, feeling bleak. “Trying to find something to wear…”

“Trying to find something to wear? Did all your clothing magically disappear?” Chelle asked her suspiciously.

“Then what’s up?” She suddenly squealed. “This meeting wouldn’t happen to be with a guy, would it?”

Kelby blushed, feeling embarrassed even though Chelle couldn’t see her. Her pathetic attempts at subterfuge were transparent as plastic wrap to Chelle. “Well…”

“It is! You have a crush! Tell the world to stop turning; Kelby Dorin likes a guy! Give me details!”

She sighed. “There aren’t really any details…other than the fact that I’ve already made an idiot of myself in front of him.”

“Pfft. I’m sure you did nothing of the sort. Where and when are you meeting?”

“Just the library, at six.”

“But that’s right at dinner time. I think you need to stop by the food court and have a nice, sit-down meal…”

Kelby laughed nervously, and said, “At the food court? Don’t start, Chelle. I have no chance with him; I just have to get through our meetings with the precious bit of sanity I have left still intact.”

Now Chelle sighed. “There you go, getting down on yourself again. You’re awesome, Kelby; any guy would be more than lucky to have you.”

She rolled her eyes, not saying anything.

“Alright, I know you don’t believe me, but you should. So, you’re having trouble finding something to wear? Honestly, don’t worry about it. Just pick something comfortable, but not too comfortable – like, don’t go out in your pajamas.”

“You’ll look fine no matter what you wear, Kel. Just – ahh, they’re calling me to go to dinner. How about I come to the library around seven and meet you?”

“Oh, no, I can just call you when – “

“No, no, no, I want to see the guy who broke the hopeful spinster’s spinning wheel,” Chelle said, her grin evident in the way her voice sounded. “See you later! And good luck!” She hung up before Kelby could say anything else.

She set the phone down and listlessly rummaged through the clothing wreckage. “It doesn’t matter, Kelby,” she told herself. “Just find something you’re relaxed in. You’re not going to impress him, so like Chelle said, go for comfort.” She pulled her favorite pair of ripped, paint-spattered jeans from the bottom of the mound of clothing, and fished out a deep purple t-shirt.

She surveyed the results in the mirror. The shirt was a bit too tight, revealing more of her round tummy than she’d have liked, but most of her shirts were. At least it was comfortable.

She slipped on her Chucks, and as an afterthought inserted the pair of purple and blue glass bead earrings she’d made the week before. She checked her clock and saw that it was already 5:15. Her stomach did a somersault, but she grabbed her notebook and slipped her ID card and keys in her back pocket and set out for the library.

She arrived a half hour early, and lounged on the library steps to pass the time, reveling in the warm breeze and deep turquoise sky. She slipped into a meditative state as she watched the sunlight pass through the shifting leaves, giving their vibrant green a translucent, golden glow, and almost didn’t notice when a shadow fell over her.

She jumped up, almost tripping over her own feet, to greet Will. “Hey,” she muttered sheepishly. The yellow-orange light sparked crimson and burgundy highlights in his curls, and gave his skin a surreal glow. He was wearing the same faded, slightly baggy jeans he’d had on in the grocery store, and a black band logo t-shirt, which was somewhat tight, nicely revealing his plumpness.

“Sorry I’m a bit late, I think the clock in the food court is slow…” he apologized.

His voice made her feel warm all over. “It’s okay, I was just…enjoying the weather,” she replied.

He looked up at the sky, his full lips parting slightly. “Yeah, it’s beautiful outside. Do you want to sit out here for a while?” he asked, looking back at her.

Kelby swallowed hard at the impact of his gaze – those eyes! she thought – but managed to nod, and croak, “Sure.”

He carefully lowered his bulk next to her on the step, not too close, and shifted around a bit, oblivious to the effect his proximity and size had on Kelby. She suddenly found it extremely difficult to breathe, and tried desperately to hide her anxiety.

“So…umm,” he started, scratching his head. “I don’t think that this is actually going to be too much work.”

“Yeah,” Kelby said, trying to stay focused. “All we really have to do is give some facts about smoking in general, and I guess the pros and cons of banning smoking in public places. And the anti-smoking laws, of course. And then let people fight it out.”

Will nodded. “You don’t smoke, do you?”

“No. You?”

“Nah,” he replied. “I wish they’d ban it completely here; smoke actually makes me kind of sick.”

“Me, too.”

“So, what year are you?” he asked.

“I’m a sophomore,” she replied.

“Same here.”

“What’s your major?”

“Philosophy and religion,” he told her.

“Wow, that’s a pretty intense field,” she remarked, at the same time thinking, He’s hot and brilliant…

He shrugged. “I guess. Well, sometimes. A lot of the religion stuff is just listening to a bunch of different people say the same thing in a bunch of different ways. They have a lot of cool religion classes here, though – like really offbeat stuff. There’s even one on the cosmology of the Star Wars movies.”

Kelby laughed. “Really? That’s crazy. Have you taken it yet?”

“Nah, I’m a Lord of the Rings geek,” he confessed, a slight pinkness rising in his cheeks.

She smiled. “Gandalf is the man. I was never really into Star Wars.”

He smiled back at her, and she felt her arms go weak. She caught her eyes drifting down to his middle, and resolutely brought them back to his face.

“What’s your major?” he asked.

“Art. Probably sculpture. And I’m going to try to squeeze in creative writing, too.”

“Ahh, a creative type.”

She gave an embarrassed half-smile. “I guess so.”

“What kind of sculpture do you like to do?”

“I guess I like it all… My favorites are metal and glass, though.”

“Cool,” he said, and Kelby noticed that his eyes weren’t focused on her face anymore. She anxiously crossed her arms over her stomach, wishing desperately that she’d worn a looser shirt. Wishing that she owned looser shirts.

“Umm, so, I guess we should decide what information we’re going to get for this,” she said, trying to distract him from her appearance. Ugh, he’s probably remembering what Jess and Annie were saying about me in the supermarket.

They talked about what specific information they would gather, and brainstormed on how to present it. Students passed them, coming in and out of the library, and the light deepened to a pumpkin orange. She thought she caught him looking at her rotund belly a few times, but she couldn’t be sure. You’re probably just being paranoid, she told herself. But each time, she clutched her arms around herself tighter, growing more and more ashamed.

Of course, she had a difficult time keeping her gaze on his face, for the sight of his soft rolls made her want to do things that shouldn’t even be thought about in public. She was able to pay enough attention to their conversation, though, to glean that he really was a very intelligent, sweet guy. Don’t think about it, Kelby, it’s impossible…he’s so far out of your league it’s not even funny, she told herself. But then he would say something funny or insightful, and she couldn’t help but hope.

The sun was casting a reddish glow about them when Kelby caught sight of Chelle sauntering towards them, an unreadable expression upon her face. “Hey, Kel,” she called.

“Oh, hey, Chelle…uhh, this is Will, my partner for health class. Will, Chelle was my roommate last year.”

They both stood, and Will shook Chelle’s hand. “Nice to meet you. Does anyone know what time it is?”

Chelle replied, glancing at her watch, “It’s 7:38.”

“Oh, wow, I’ve got to get going, I have to meet somebody,” he said. “Uhh, I guess I’ll see you in class tomorrow, Kelby, and we can decide when we’re going to meet again.”

“Okay. Well, thanks…” she trailed off awkwardly.

“Yeah, you too. Have a good night, Kelby. You too,” he said, nodding at Chelle.

“Sure. Same to you,” Chelle said.

“Goodnight, Will,” Kelby said. She was silent for a moment as Will walked away, Chelle watching him go.

“So,” Chelle asked, “that’s the guy?”

Kelby’s face flushed. She knew what Chelle was thinking, and she hadn’t even realized that in admitting she had a thing for Will, she’d be broadcasting her preferences for fatter members of the opposite sex.

“Is it?”

“Y-yes…” she stammered, feeling incredibly embarrassed as she stared at the ground.

“He’s…a pretty…big guy, isn’t he?” Chelle remarked.

Kelby shrugged, feeling her face burn hotter.

“Kelby,” Chelle said, grabbing her shoulders, “look at me.”

Kelby meekly raised her eyes to meet Chelle’s hazel ones. Chelle was grinning.

“You think he’s hot, don’t you?”

Kelby shrugged her friend’s hands off her shoulders. “Shut up,” she protested weakly.

“I knew it!” Chelle shrieked triumphantly, then said more quietly, “I knew it! You like fat guys!” But then she must have noticed that Kelby was on the verge of shocked tears. “Oh, honey, I’m not making fun of you. My brother’s girlfriend Geena likes ‘em big, too. He’s gained fifty pounds since they started going out, and she can’t keep her hands off him. It’s a little disturbing, because, well, he’s my brother, but you know.”

Kelby’s eyes widened. There were actually other people like her? “I…I thought…all this time…”

“That you were a freak because you like fat guys? That you were the only one? Kel, everybody has a weird little quirk that they think is this horribly bizarre thing, but in reality there are probably a lot of people out there who share it.” She wrapped her lean, tanned arm around her friend’s shoulders and guided her in the direction of the food court. “I don’t think you’re a freak. I mean, I’m personally not attracted to tubby guys, but I must say, you have picked a pretty good-looking one. He’s got gorgeous eyes, and he’s polite. And,” she continued, “he totally has the hots for you.”

Kelby stopped walking and cringed. “No, Chelle, he doesn’t.”

“Okay, shut up. I sat over there and watched you two for a half hour, and he kept checking you out. And when he was walking away, he turned around three or four times and looked back at you.” She swung her reddish braid over her shoulder and placed her hands on her hips in a challenging gesture.

Kelby sighed. “I’m sure that when he was walking away, he was checking you out...”

“Absolutely not, Kel – his eyes were not on me. I was looking right at him, and his pretty grey eyes were glued to you.”

“…and when we were sitting here, if he was looking at me, he was probably just thinking how I’m –“ she stopped abruptly.

“How you’re what?”

Kelby shook her head.

Chelle sighed. “Kelby…”

“I’m gross,” she mumbled miserably. “He heard…the other day…at the grocery store – that’s where I first saw him and made a fool of myself ogling him – Jess and Annie were there…” She related what they had said about her in line, and how Will had been listening in.

Chelle looked angry. “Kelby, you should know better than to listen to a word that comes from either of those bimbos’ collagen-inflated lips. You know the only reason they’re here is because their parents give a lot of money to the school; the sidewalk has more brains than the two of them put together. I know that they really went after you in high school, but you’ve got to let it go.” She gave Kelby a hug, and said, “I know it hurts. But you can’t let it get you down like this. I stick by what I said earlier – any guy would be lucky to have you, no matter what size you wear. And from the looks of it, Will was more than pleased with the way you look.”

Kelby blushed. “I’m pretty sure you’re wrong, Chelle. He can’t possibly like the way I look.”

Chelle narrowed her eyes. “Fine, don’t believe me. But you just wait and see. He has the hots for you, I know he does. You’ll see.”
Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #3

Oh my gosh, there he is, she thought. She was walking from the Union building to her health class, about twenty minutes early, and there was Will, lying beneath a tree and staring up at the leaves. Go say ‘hi.’ Oh, no, don’t talk to him! You have food with you, you can’t talk to him with food and look like a pig! she thought wildly. She looked frantically around for a garbage can, and dumped her untouched large sub and bag of chips into it. Okay, now maybe you can talk to him. You can do it, Kelby. She took a deep breath, and walked over to the tree. “Hey, Will.”

He sat up quickly and blinked a few times. “Oh, hey, Kelby.” He smiled. “What’s up?”

“Uhh, nothing much, just a bit early for class and I saw you so I thought I’d come and say ‘hi,’” she said, thinking to herself, Good job with the run-on sentence, there. Oh, shut up, that wasn’t even a run-on. You can’t even keep your rules of grammar straight around him. “You?”

“Oh, y’know, just contemplating ‘life, the universe, and everything,’” he chuckled, then made a face. Today he was wearing a navy band shirt that was taut across his round, soft-looking belly, and roomy tan corduroys. His hair was perfectly mussed. She pictured herself running her fingers through those curls, running her hands down across his belly, sneaking under his shirt…

“Ahh, good book,” she replied, trying to keep her mind on the conversation instead of his body.

He grinned, and his full, soft lips seemed to beckon to her. This is not good, I can’t think straight.

“That it is,” he replied. “’The Restaurant at the End of the Universe’ was my favorite. That talking cow made me a vegetarian for a whole day. Wanna sit for a while before class?”

She gulped. “Sure.” She set her bag on the ground and tried to lower herself beside him as gracefully as possible. She ended up stumbling a bit and plopping down next to him. She grimaced and yanked at her shirt, trying to stretch it out so her rolls weren’t so obvious.

“So how are your classes going so far?” he asked, looking at out of the corner of his eye.

“Pretty good, I guess. My sculpture class is going to take a lot of time, but I love doing it, so it’s okay. How about yours?”

“Decent, so far. I’m a bit nervous about my Heidegger class, actually. The teacher has this crazy accent – I think he’s from Israel – so he’s a little hard to follow. But I’m pretty familiar with Heidegger’s works, so I think I’ll be okay,” he replied.

The whole time he was talking, Kelby had been watching his hands fiddle with the hem of his shirt. Ugh, I hope I’m not making him uncomfortable, she thought. But how would I be? I’m just sitting here. “Heidegger – he’s ‘Being and Time,’ right?”

He blinked at her, clearly impressed. “Yeah, that’s him. Wow, I thought you were an art major?”

She gave him a pleased grin, fighting the urge to grab his chubby cheeks and kiss him. “What, can’t art majors know anything besides art stuff?” she teased.

“No, I didn’t mean – “

Kelby laughed. “I was just kidding. I actually just had a philosophy class over the summer, and we did a little bit of Heidegger.”

He smiled back, and nodded. “Ahh. Not many people outside the major know about him. At this school, anyway. You must have had a pretty hardcore teacher.”

She shrugged. “She really wasn’t all that ba–“

“Omigosh, it’s Jell-O!”

Kelby felt the heat drain from her face as she heard the exclamation behind her. Annie and Jess sauntered in front of her and Will. They were both clad in fur vests and mini-skirts, with leg-warmers stretched over their calves and flip-flops on their feet. Annie looked like she’d overspent her time in the tanning bed, but Jess was perfectly bronzed.

“I just remembered that that’s what everyone used to call you in high school,” Jess said conversationally.

“Yeah, I was the one who came up with it, remember? Aren’t I, like, genius?”

“Totally,” Jess agreed. “Omigosh, like, who let you leave your dorm looking like that?” Her eyes squinted in disgust, she glared at Kelby.

“Why don’t you both go back to the tanning beds from hell that you crawled out of?” Will said frostily.

Annie turned to Will and scanned his body, her eyes dancing. “Wow, the Pillsbury Dough Boy, right here at our very own school!”

Jess giggled. “Although I’ll bet if you poked him, he wouldn’t laugh because your finger would, like, get lost in all that fat!”

Will’s face flamed crimson. Kelby swallowed hard, and in a voice whose steadiness astonished her, said, “Go away. Go get some more silicone injected into your bodies or whatever, just find something better to do than bother us.”

The two girls laughed, but turned and walked away. Will was shaking his head. “Wow, they’ve got to be the biggest bitches on campus. And my roommate thinks they’re hot. I think he needs his head checked.”

“Yeah, they’re pretty high up on the evil scale,” Kelby said. She was watching Will, whose cheeks were still pink. But I wouldn’t mind poking that hot belly, she thought wistfully, then shook her head. Stop it, Kelby! “I’m really sorry…they wouldn’t have come over if I wasn’t here.”

He shrugged, his embarrassment seeming to renew itself. “Nah, it wasn’t your fault. I’m sure they would have said something no matter who was sitting here with me. And I’m certainly used to it.” But his expression was guarded as he said, “I guess we’d better get to class, huh?”

“So how did you know?” Kelby blurted out. It was around seven that night, and she and Chelle were lounging in her apartment’s living room, flipping channels and talking.

“That you like fat guys?” Chelle said.

Kelby flinched a little at the starkness of the comment.

“Oh, come on, I told you, it’s nothing to be ashamed of,” Chelle scolded her lightly. “I just know what to look for, I guess. Geena and Dave have been together for four years now, so I’ve seen a lot.” She wriggled into a sitting position on the recliner. “I guess I just noticed how you never checked out the ‘hot’ guys with the six-packs, but couldn’t keep your eyes off their chubby friends. And if one of the girls in our hall was going on about how great some guy’s body was, and everyone else was all ‘omigosh yeah,’ you just had this look on your face like you were going to throw up or something.” She laughed.

Kelby laughed a bit, too.

“And watching you last night with Mr. Loverboy – “

“Shut up!”

“…it was pretty obvious,” she said, giving Kelby a wicked grin. “You looked like you wanted to tear his clothes off and lick him.”

Kelby’s eyes went wide. “I did not!”

Chelle giggled. “Okay, okay, maybe I’m exaggerating. You did look pretty scared, though.”

“Well I was.”

“I don’t think you have anything to be scared of, Kel. Like I said, I’d put money on it that he wants you just as much as you want him. So did you see him today?”

“Well…yeah,” she said shyly. At Chelle’s prompting, she gave her details about her encounter with Will that afternoon, and Annie’s and Jess’ interruption. “And we sat together during class, and we talked a little bit then. Our teacher is really weird,” she related to Chelle, trying to shift the focus from her fat crush. “She’ll stop talking for ten minutes at a time, and nobody knows what to do.”

Chelle squinted her eyes. “Dr. Herndon, right? I’ve never had her, but I’ve heard that she’s strange. Strange, but a fair grader.” She shook her head. “Ugh, I can’t believe those…those…hobags,” she spat.

Kelby sighed. “Why not? They live for partying, shopping, sex, and making everyone else feel inferior. I told you.”

“I know, but I don’t understand why they still go after you.”

“I’m an easy target.” She held her hands out, indicating her girth.

“Stop that.” Chelle frowned and shook her head again. “Anyway, so, what’s your plan?”

Kelby raised an eyebrow. “My…plan?”

“Yeah, how are you gonna get him?” Chelle asked playfully, twirling a lock of her auburn hair between her fingers.

She blushed. “Chelle, how many times do I have to tell you…”

“Oh, knock it off! He wants you! It’s obvious! No guy talks to you and looks at you like that and sticks up for you like that if he isn’t interested.” Chelle scoffed. “It’s also obvious that both of you are too damned shy to do anything about it, so one of you is going to have to take charge, and I say it’s going to be you, because I’m your best friend, and you trust me.” She grinned.

Kelby grimaced, fearful of her friend’s scheming.

She pulled a serious face. “Kelby, I’ve never seen you this way about a guy before. Something reminds you of him, and your face just lights up,” Chelle said. “I want you to be happy, y’know? I know you’re scared, but you’ve got to get over it sometime. And if you really like this guy as much as you seem to, you can’t let him get away.”

“I know, but…”

“No. No ‘buts.’ Not acceptable,” Chelle said, shaking her head. “You like him, Kelby, do you not?”

She fidgeted a bit, but finally meekly replied, “Yes.”

“Then go for it. What have you got to lose?”

“My sanity,” Kelby said as she began counting on her fingers, “my ability to go out in public, any shred of self-confidence I now or may one day possess…”

“Argh!” Chelle wailed as she threw a pillow at her friend.

Kelby dodged it and laughed, and Chelle, after giving her a stern look, collapsed into giggles.

“So, I guess that’s it,” Will said. It was Thursday evening, and they were sitting on the library steps again.

“Yeah, now we just have to figure out the order we want to present it in.” She looked at him and gave him a small smile. She was astonished to find that she had become a lot more comfortable around him in their short history of meeting together. She had even been confident enough to crack a few jokes that night, and she was really proud of herself.

“Well,” Will said, “I guess the most logical thing would be to save the class discussion for the end, because we don’t know how long it will go on. Hopefully longer than thirty seconds, though.”

Kelby nodded. “Sounds good to me. I think we should do the general facts on smoking first, then the laws, and end with the discussion.”

“That’s what I was thinking, too.” He looked down to brush some crumbs from his chips off of his distended belly, and Kelby couldn’t help being mesmerized by the small jiggles this movement produced. At the same time she tried to suck in her own stomach, conscious of the entire frozen pizza she’d eaten before leaving her apartment that evening. Just as her eyes were tracing the contour of the squishy-looking overhang of the left side of his tummy, which was so close to peeking out the bottom of his shirt, she became aware of his gaze returning to her. She quickly looked back up at his face, hoping to avoid detection, but it was obvious that he had noticed where her eyes had been resting. His full cheeks colored and he looked down ashamedly, yanking at the hem of his shirt. Oh, how she recognized that gesture. Should she ignore it or should she say something?

“Sorry…” she said uneasily.

He gave a slight shrug, then, not looking at her, replied, “Hey, no problem. I do take up a big chunk of your field of vision.”

It came to her instantly – “Hey, I’m not complaining; the view’s pretty nice” – but she didn’t think she could say it. Or should she say it? She didn’t think she could be that bold. She knew that if Chelle were there, she’d be screaming at her to be bold and just say it. But what if he doesn’t believe me and I offend him more? she asked herself. She kept her mouth shut.

“So,” he repeated, “I guess that’s it.”

“Yeah,” she replied. She desperately wanted to tell him how attractive she found him, both physically and otherwise, but she was terrified of a whole host of consequences, chief of them being plain old rejection. She’d never once in her life been told she was physically attractive – she’d been the victim of the “oh, you have such a pretty face…” comment that always seemed to have an unspoken “too bad about your gross fat body” attached to it.

She’d come to truly believe that if she ever had a real romantic relationship, chances of that being slim as they were because of her shyness, it would have to be in spite of her appearance. Her last “relationship” had shattered any hopes she may have had otherwise. And even though Will seemed like an incredibly nice guy, it certainly didn’t mean that he wouldn’t respond to her attraction to him with a laugh and “a fat thing like you? I don’t think so!”

“Yeah. Sorry, I spaced out there. Umm…well, I guess you have to go…”

He looked at his watch. “Actually, I don’t. And my housemates are still watching ‘Death Match of Blood’ or something, so I’d rather not go back yet.”

Kelby laughed. “What?”

Will smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling joyfully. “I don’t know, it’s some wrestling thing that they watch every Thursday. They get kinda violent with it. Last week Kevin threw the coffee table at the wall so hard two of the legs snapped off. He had to call maintenance and say that he tripped on a bunched up rug and fell on it and broke it, and threatened to sue if it wasn’t taken care of immediately.”

“Wow…he’s pre-law, huh?”

“How’d you know?” They both laughed.

“How many housemates do you have?”

“Just two. We live over in Greenwood C.”

“Ahh, I’m not too far from you, then. I’m in Achenbach Tower.”

“Ooh, fancy,” he replied.

She wrinkled her nose with a smile. “It is nice, but it’s by no means a penthouse suite.”

“I guess so,” Will said. “It’s not like this place wants to spend our money on us. They’d much rather spend it on the landscaping.”

She laughed, nodding. “How right you are.”

“Actually, umm, do you maybe want to go to the food court and get some coffee or something?” he asked.

Kelby froze. Did he just…did he really… Stay calm, Kelby. Just say yes. “Sure, sounds good,” she replied slowly, in what she hoped was a calm tone.

“Great,” he said, smiling at her.

Her ankles felt curiously weak as she stood, and she had to take care to not fall flat on her face as they walked toward the food court, a cautious distance between them. She tried to focus on what Will was saying and to ignore the voices screaming in her head.

“So where are you from?” he was asking.

“Just about thirty miles west, in Rock Haven.”

“Hey, I’m from Dumont.”

“Oh, wow, you’re not that far away. I guess that’s about…twenty miles from here?” she asked, subconsciously tallying up the distance from her home. Only about fifteen miles…

“Twenty-two point four miles from my garage to the U parking lot,” he said, smiling again. Oh, but she was beginning to crave that smile.

They talked nonstop as they entered the building, got cappuccino, swiped their IDs to check out, and maneuvered through the half-empty room to a booth in the corner. They spoke of their families, why they both lived on campus even though they lived relatively close by (he didn’t get along with his dad, but wouldn’t say why, and her mom wanted her to get the “college experience”), and a ton of other trivial but interesting facts. Kelby hung onto Will’s every word, drinking him in more deeply than she could have hoped. She also could barely keep her eyes off the way his belly pressed into the table, creating a soft little extra roll right before her eyes. So it was with incredible reluctance that she answered her cell phone at least an hour later to Chelle’s reminder that they were supposed to watch a movie that night.

“Wow, I didn’t realize it was this late,” she said as she hung up.

“Yeah, time flies when you’re having fun, I guess,” he said, a bit of a twinkle in his eye.

Kelby’s stomach did a flip-flop, but with a smile, she replied, “I guess so.”

“You have your disk?” he asked as they stood up.

“Yup,” she said, holding up her copy of their PowerPoint presentation.

“Okay, I have mine, too. Well, I guess I’ll see you later, Kelby. Enjoy your movie.”

“Thanks.” She grinned. “I hope your house is still standing.”

Will chuckled. “Me, too. Goodnight, Kelby.”

“Goodnight, Will.”

Beaming, Kelby floated back to her apartment.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #4

Friday was Kelby’s day off. She’d lucked out in that all her classes were held Monday through Thursday, so she’d allotted Friday for studio time. She didn’t have much work to do yet, as it was only the first week, so she worked on some of her own pieces that afternoon. She focused on an earrings and pendant set she was making for her mother’s birthday, which was at the end of September. She’d really gotten into working with silver over the summer, and had created quite a few pieces for herself that her mother had raved over. So she sat at her station with her blowtorch for the better part of the afternoon, filing, shaping, and soldering the intricate swirls together for hours before she glanced at the clock and realized it was nearly seven, and she’d been in the studio since noon. Knowing that Chelle had practice ‘til eight and then movie night with the team at her house, she decided to head to the food court for some supper before it closed.

She purchased a slice of pizza, some chips, and a drink, and sat at a table near the windows to eat. She pulled out a book she’d been reading and was quite engrossed in, so she jumped with shock when, a while after she’d finished eating, a smooth voice spoke her name.

She looked up and saw Will standing in front of her. Viewing him from slightly below offered a vantage point that truly highlighted his size. His belly stretched out in front of him in a wonderful, bottom-heavy round shape that – as she thought every time she looked at him – appeared so invitingly soft that it was all she could do to restrain herself from grabbing it. His belly drooped lowest in the middle, and a little shiver of delight passed through her as she noticed that his burgundy shirt was tight enough to show the indentation of his belly button. He was wide, too; his fat bulged over the sides of his pants in luscious, thick rolls that she knew were too big even to fully cup in her outstretched fingers. His chest was rounded but firm-looking, and his arms looked like they had serious muscle beneath a thick layer of fat. A bit of dark stubble showed on his plump cheeks and double chin, and made him look even sexier.

Look up, you idiot! Don’t embarrass him! she thought, realizing the intensity of her scrutiny. “Hey, Will! Sorry, I was really into my book. I hope you weren’t there long,” she apologized as she met his eyes.

Luckily, Will didn’t seem to have noticed her salivating over his body. He was smiling cheerfully as he replied, “Hey, not a problem. I’m guilty of book over-attention myself. They’re usually much better than the real world.” His smile widened as he continued, “Usually. So what are you reading?”

What does that mean? she thought. “The Firebrand; it’s an old favorite.”

“What’s it about?”

“It’s a retelling of ‘The Iliad,’ from Kassandra’s point of view. You know, the seeress who no one believed.”

“Sounds interesting. I love ‘The Iliad.’”

“Yeah, me too, and it’s great to get a different perspective on the story. So how are you?”

“I’m okay, except for this,” he said, holding up a disc case.

“Is that your PowerPoint disc?” she asked.

“Yup. It doesn’t work for some reason. I was wondering if I could trouble you for another copy.”

“Sure, no problem. I could go and make it for you right now, if you don’t mind waiting,” she told him as she shoved her book into her bag and rose from her seat.

“I’ll walk with you, if you want. Sitting here alone only invites trouble, with so much food being in such close proximity,” he said deprecatingly, blushing a bit.

She felt a little stab of sadness at the comment about his eating, but it was far overshadowed by his offering to walk with her. “Um, sure, you can come with me.” Do you realize what you’ve just done? her inner voice shrieked. You’ve basically invited him to come up to your apartment!

She tried to silence the protests and worries in her brain as they walked the short distance to her building in the twilight, chatting the whole way. She swiped her card and they entered the lobby, then ascended the stairs, which were unusually crowded.

“Oh, no,” she said, smacking her forehead.

“What is it?”

“Umm, I just forgot, there’s a party on the floor below mine tonight. Those two girls…Annie and Jess…”

“Ahh, the Tanning Bed Bitches,” he nodded knowingly. “So I can assume that it won’t be a LAN party.”

Kelby laughed. “Definitely not.” She brushed past a group of jocks loitering beside the entrance to her floor, and heard one of them say something, then all of them laugh as Will squeezed by them. She didn’t hear exactly what he’d said, but the look on Will’s face told her that it had been about him, and had probably been very nasty. But Will didn’t say anything as he closed the door behind him, so she didn’t say anything either.

“Umm, I’m not sure what state my apartment is in,” she apologized as she unlocked the door, her fingers fumbling nervously with the keys.

“Trust me, it can’t be worse than mine. Death Match of Blood, remember?” he said, smiling.

She grinned back at him, and finally got the door open. She breathed a little sigh of relief as she flicked on the light and saw that her bedroom and bathroom doors were closed, which were still strewn with the victims of one of her “I’m too fat to wear anything” fits. Her living room and kitchenette were in relative order, save for the trash can, which was filled to the top with ice cream cartons and other food packaging. Her stomach gave a nauseous little jump as she saw that, but there was nothing she could do about it now save ignore it and pray that Will wouldn’t notice. She’d always been told that guys weren’t that observant, anyway, and she hoped it was true.

He was looking around with what she hoped was a light glance. “Nice place,” he remarked. “And it’s spotless, too.” He grinned at her.

She let out a little laugh. “I try. Make yourself comfortable; I have to boot up my PC.”

“Hey, this poster is really cool,” he said.

Kelby turned from her desk and saw him standing in front of one of her mermaid posters. “Oh, that’s one of my favorite prints. It’s Howard Pyle.”

“The neon colors are really interesting,” he said, peering at the beads in the mermaid’s hair.

“Yeah, I always imagined that mermaids would have to have their own light source, living deep under the ocean, so why couldn’t it be glowing pearls or something?” I can’t believe I just said that, I sound like such an idiot, she thought, quickly turning back to her computer to look for the file.

But after a moment, Will said, “Sure. Maybe their houses are even glow-in-the-dark. Bioluminescence and all that.”

Kelby smiled to herself. I’m falling so hard for him it’s ridiculous. The disc popped out of the drive, and she placed it in a case. “Here you go, all ready.” She got up and handed it to him.

“Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I don’t know why mine didn’t work.”

“Probably just a bad disc.”

They both stood there somewhat uncomfortably, Kelby biting her lip, both terrified and excited that the man of her dreams was standing in her living room, and Will fidgeting, thinking who knew what.

After a few moments, Will said, “Kelby?”

He took a deep breath. “…Damn. I forgot what I was going to say.” He shook his head and smiled sheepishly.

“I do it, too,” she said bashfully. “Way too often.”

“I’d better get going; I have to meet somebody. Thanks again for this.”

“Sure, like I said, it’s no problem.” But a stab of fear pricked her heart. This is the second time he’s had to meet someone, she thought, and it’s a Friday night, so it wouldn’t be about school. What if he has a girlfriend? They walked to the door, and Kelby, thinking of the people in the stairwell, offered to walk him downstairs.

She decided to try the back staircase in hopes of avoiding the partygoers, but it turned out to be more crowded than the main one. They both tried to squeeze as unobtrusively as possible past groups of loud, half-drunken people holding plastic cups, but it was bound to happen given both their widths – Kelby’s chunky hip slammed into a slim brunette wearing a sequined tank top, spilling her drink.

She screeched and spun around. “Ew, you freaking fatass, you spilled my beer,” she complained loudly. “Who let you out of your pen, you disgusting pig?”

She felt ready to melt into the floor, and was about to apologize, but Will spoke up first, “Shut up, you dumb bitch. You’re not supposed to have booze in here anyway.” Will gave her arm a light tug and they continued down the stairs as quickly as they could. She heard the girl’s indignant sputters behind them, but didn’t turn around. She was too busy wishing she could disappear.

They gratefully emerged into the quiet, sultry night air on the side of her building. “I should probably call campus safety, but I doubt they’d do anything,” she muttered, avoiding his gaze.

“Yeah, they don’t break up beautiful people parties too often,” he said sarcastically. “I…I’m sorry, Kelby.”

She just shrugged, crossing her arms tighter around herself and still wishing she could just disappear. Or if she couldn’t disappear, at least shrink down to a size six. Hell, she’d even be grateful to be a twelve. She snuck a look at him.

He looked tired. Not sleep-deprived tired, but weary. “Don’t pay attention to that,” he told her. “I…just don’t worry about it.” He gave her a light pat on the back.

She felt close to exploding into tears, but she steadied her voice and wished him goodnight.

“I’ll see you on Monday, then. Have a good weekend, Kelby.”

She turned to go back inside as he walked away, and it took enormous effort to hold in her tears until she’d closed her apartment door behind her.

The next day, Kelby made a trip to the grocery store when she woke up starving and saw that she’d already eaten all the cereal. But as she walked the aisles, she couldn’t bring herself to put anything in her cart. You made a total ass of yourself last night, Kelby, she thought. All because you’re wider than Texas. You’ve got to do something about this.

She stopped. She was standing in front of the diet products. She stared at the meal replacement bars and shakes, taking in the promises of rapid weight loss and great taste. Her hand hovered over a case of chocolate QuickThin shakes, but she let it drop. A few seconds passed before she raised her hand again and loaded two cases of shakes and three boxes of meal bars into her cart and headed for the checkout. I’m not going to be embarrassed in front of him again, she vowed.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 AM   #5

Several weeks passed uneventfully. Health class was going as well as could be expected for a gen. ed., though both she and Will had a very uncomfortable thirty minutes during Jess and Annie’s presentation on childhood obesity, which was, not surprisingly, incredibly biased. Their health presentation, however, went off without a hitch, and they were assigned their next one, which was on drug testing on low-income members of society.

Her art classes were fun, and she was quite far ahead in all of them. She and Will continued to meet for their presentations, and also once or twice a week just to talk and hang out. They’d become pretty good friends during this time, and though Kelby ached for something more, she was still far too insecure to even attempt to flirt with Will.

She’d also lost about five pounds in one month by drinking the QuickThin. She thought it should have been a lot more, given how hungry she was, but she hoped it would pick up soon, since the packaging suggested that it took a month or two for one’s body to get used to the new regimen. Or else that was just a ploy to get consumers to purchase more. She hoped it was the former.

Chelle was displeased to hear about Kelby’s weight loss efforts, though. “Why aren’t you eating anything?” she asked Kelby when they met for lunch one day in early October.

“I…I’m not hungry,” she replied.

Chelle eyed her up suspiciously. “You’re trying to lose weight, aren’t you.” It wasn’t a question.

Kelby’s cheeks colored.

“You are!” her friend said unhappily. “Kelby, please tell me you’re not doing this because of Will.”

She lowered her eyes.

“Kel! You do not need to change yourself for anyone! You are gorgeous just the way you are.”

Kelby shot her an angry look. “No, Chelle, I’m not. I’m fat.”

Chelle waved her hand. “You’re voluptuous. You’ve got curves. I would kill for your boobs.”

She blushed again.

“So what, you think that losing weight will make Will suddenly become enamored with you? Wake up, Kel, he already is. I could tell from the first time I saw him that he’s shy; he’s going to have to be absolutely certain that you like him before he reciprocates.” She leaned back in the booth. “And what have you been doing to speed up the relationship, huh?”

“I…we…I don’t know, I mean, we meet for our project… And sometimes we just talk…”

“And do you flirt with him? Do you give him any hint that you like him?”

Kelby closed her eyes. “You know I’m not good at that kind of stuff, Chelle.”

“The only reason you’re not good at it is that you tell yourself you’re not good at it,” she said decisively.

“I…I just don’t even know where to start.”

“Compliment him. Everyone loves compliments. Start small; tell him you like his shirt. Then move on. Give him a sexy little smile when you say it, or look him in the eyes a little bit longer than you’re comfortable with. You’re not stupid, Kel, I know you can figure this out.”

“I’m just…scared.”

“Scared of what?”

Kelby was silent for a few moments. “I’m scared that…that he won’t like me. I’m scared that he’ll laugh at me. I’m scared that he won’t believe me.”

Chelle gave her a weird look. “Okay, I get the first two…but why wouldn’t he believe you?”

“It’s…” She sighed. “You’ve always been popular and beautiful; you wouldn’t know. When you grow up…bigger…you get very defensive. If someone compliments you, it’s usually going to be twisted into something nasty. You know that nobody would touch you with a ten foot pole, so when someone says something positive about your appearance, you get very suspicious, because they’re usually making fun of you.” She shifted uncomfortably. “If he told me he thought I was pretty or something, I wouldn’t believe him. I’d think he was trying to make fun of me, because that’s all I’ve ever known. So why wouldn’t he think the same if I tried to tell him I thought he was absolutely gorgeous? And…I’m also afraid because of…because of what happened with Joe,” she finished quietly.

Her friend stared at her. “Wow. You have been seriously mis-programmed, girl. I sort of understand about all of this now.” She bit her lip thoughtfully. “I get that you’re afraid thanks to that slimeball and what he did to you. Come to think of it, I guess I’d be a little suspicious if you weren’t scared after something like that. You’re a lot stronger than I am; I think if someone did that to me, I’d be in a padded room. But that’s just it, Kel – you’re strong. I think you need to just push past this fear, and I know you can. I know you don’t believe me, but I’ve seen him look at you, Kelby, and his expression had no trace of disgust. He really looked like he liked what he saw. And I see what you’re saying, that even if he does find you attractive he might think you’re making fun of him in complimenting him…but I think if you just keep at it, he’ll get it. Persistence pays off.”

“There you go with the volleyball talk again.”

Chelle grinned. “Hey, if it’s true, it’s true, even if Coach Kimball said it. Now please, eat something.”

Kelby shook her head. “I still think that my chances would be better if I were thinner.”

Now Chelle shook her head, but she didn’t press the issue.

“Hey, umm, are you busy tomorrow night?” She found herself shocked as the words tumbled out of her mouth.

Will looked confused. “Uh, no, not really.” It was a week after her conversation with Chelle, and she’d already lost another five pounds, and was feeling a bit more confident, if dizzy with hunger. She and Will were sitting in a study room in the library under the pretense of working on their next presentation.

“Well, uh, a gallery in town that I have some stuff at is having an opening… I just thought… I mean, maybe…if you didn’t have anything better to do…”

He gave her a crooked smile. “Yeah, that sounds cool. What time, and where is it?”

She jotted down the details on a blank page of her notebook and ripped it out to give to him.

“Okay, I know where this is. There’s a little café right on the corner.”

“Yeah, ‘The Seven Foxes,’” she replied.

“Yeah, they have great – yeah.” He blushed again. “Sure, I’ll come.”

Kelby beamed. “Thanks. I mean, it’s not going to be anything amazing…they’ll have some snacks and punch and I think some kids from the music department are playing…”

“No, no, I need to get some culture,” he told her with that irresistible grin. “All my housemates do in addition to violent wrestling viewing is play Black Ops, listen to rap, and drink.”

“Wow, that sounds…non-conducive to the educational experience,” she replied with a laugh. She checked her watch. “I’d better get going; I have some homework I need to take care of tonight so I can get to the gallery early tomorrow to set up.”

“Okay,” he said, standing up with her. He glanced at what Kelby thought was her midsection, and she instinctively sucked in, feeling embarrassed at the way she knew her t-shirt was clinging to her still very-rounded body. “Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow night, then, Kelby.”

“Okay, Will. Have a good night,” she told him.

“You, too.” He gave a little wave as he turned away.

Kelby just stood there fiddling with her papers until he was out of sight, and then her panic won. She whipped out her cell phone and dialed Chelle’s number.

“Hey, girl, what’s up?”

“Oh my gosh, Chelle, I asked him to come to my gallery opening tomorrow.”

She nearly dropped the phone when Chelle’s excited shriek came through the speaker.

The weather was beautiful that night. The air was so clear that details in the distance were magnified, so that Kelby thought that if she stood still long enough, she could count every leaf on the tree four blocks away. After finishing her homework, she decided to take a walk to enjoy it, and also because she’d been somewhat lax on the suggested exercise plan her QuickThin included. Maybe if I really do this, if I can really get back down to at least where I was my sophomore year of high school, I’ll have a chance with him, she thought excitedly as she walked. I can’t kid myself, I know that no one in their right mind would be attracted to me now, but maybe…

She stepped off the curb and saw a green pickup truck that looked exactly like Joe’s, and doubt cracked the layer of hope that had been building up around her heart. But what if he was right, she wondered. He was right about so many other things. He knew I couldn’t control my weight then, and he said I’d blow up when I got to college, and look at me now. Two hundred and twenty three pounds. He was right. All those things he said to me…even if he never loved me, he knew me. He knew.

As she walked she tried to convince herself, for the twelve hundredth time, that he was wrong; that someone could love her, that she was worth something. “It’s just so damn hard to believe it when everyone around me reinforces it,” she muttered. But Will… she tried to tell herself. Will may not think you’re pretty, but he at least likes you as a friend. That’s worth something.

Kelby looked around and saw that she’d subconsciously directed herself to Will’s street. She crossed to the other side so he wouldn’t think she was stalking him, but she slowed down, trying to catch a glimpse of him through the window. The door of his house opened, and she saw his large, round silhouette in the frame. He stepped outside into the porch light, followed by…a girl? Yes, it was a girl, a girl with long, curly blonde hair and a slender hourglass figure. She turned so that her face was illuminated by the amber bulb, and Kelby saw that she was quite beautiful. She froze in the shadow of a hedge, trembling, watching Will and the girl talk. She couldn’t see his face now, but she could see hers…she was smiling and laughing…she playfully hit Will’s arm…they hugged each other.

Her stomach plunged lower in her body as if she’d gone over a very steep hill very fast. The girl walked down the stairs and got into a red VW Beetle, and Will waved at her as she drove away, then went back into his house. The porch light went out, and with it, the last vestiges of Kelby’s hopes.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 AM   #6

Kelby clutched the edge of the refreshment table so hard her knuckles were beginning to lose feeling. What was I thinking, she repeated over and over again. The gallery had been open for an hour, and he still hadn’t shown up. But he still might. Or else he was never going to come in the first place and he just said he would so he wouldn’t sound mean. Maybe he’s with her. That’s where he’s been going all those nights when he said he had to meet somebody. To be with her.

“Uh, Kel?”

She jumped as Chelle tapped her on the shoulder, and swallowed hard. “Yeah?”

“I don’t think you’re going to fly off the face of the planet if you let go of the table,” she told her.

“Oh. Right.” She let go and flexed her fingers, trying to regain some sensation.

Chelle gave her a sympathetic look. “I’m sure he’ll show up, Kel. And you know what I said about the girl.”

Kelby sighed. “Probably not. And it’s a good thing, too, because I look ridiculous. Not that I could even compete with her if I lost a hundred pounds.”

“Oh, shut up, you look great. Purple is your color. And I’m sure there’s an explanation for her. He really doesn’t strike me as the type of guy who’d play two girls at once.”

Kelby glanced down at her clothing. She was wearing a short black skirt that Chelle had picked out for her, and a purple top with flowy sleeves that she had favored over the skimpy one Chelle had wanted her to get. “The skirt is too short, and the top is too tight.”

“Okay, now you’re just whining for the sake of whining. The skirt is the perfect length, and the shirt looks hot. And besides, worry about people looking at your sculptures, which are awesome, by the way.”

“Thanks.” Kelby squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block everything out and calm down.

“And what did I tell you? There he is, and he’s totally looking for you,” Chelle remarked triumphantly.

Kelby’s eyes flew open and raced around the room. And there was Will, standing somewhat awkwardly in the doorway. Her breath caught in her throat and she felt her lips part, her suspicions momentarily forgotten. He looked stunning. His curls shone and his skin glowed. His charcoal grey button-down shirt was a few shades darker than his eyes, and it draped attractively over his ample belly, hugging the thick love handle rolls that wrapped around his torso to his back. He was wearing black dress pants which showed off his round butt when he turned to get a booklet about the featured pieces.

“Wow…” Chelle said. “You’ve got it bad.” She’d been watching Kelby watch Will, and she shook her head. “If something doesn’t happen between the two of you soon, I think I’m going to have to lock you both in a room somewhere.”

Kelby was barely paying attention to her friend’s comments. Will had begun walking around the room, examining each of the paintings, drawings, and sculptures, and their information cards. She couldn’t help but notice how smoothly he moved, as if his bulk wasn’t a hindrance to him at all. After a few moments she did observe the care of his movements when he cautiously measured the space between a group of people and a sculpture before he passed through, and then tried to suck in his middle to avoid bumping into anyone. He gave his belly a slight nervous rub, and Kelby grabbed the edge of the table again.

Chelle was laughing at her. “I’ll never understand your attraction, Kelby, but its strength is undeniable. You’d better try to remember to breathe, okay?”

She just nodded, still watching him. He looked like a cherub out of a Renaissance painting, only older and much fatter. Just then he looked up from the card on the pedestal of a small sculpture and directly into her eyes, and smiled intensely at her. She smiled back, matching the force of his expression while little butterflies exploded in her stomach.

“And that’s my cue,” Chelle said knowingly. “You kids have fun.” She turned and walked away as Will began to make his way closer to her.

“Hey,” he said. Hearing that voice made her insides tingle.

“Hey,” she replied, “thanks so much for coming.”

“My pleasure. Your stuff is incredible.”

Kelby blushed. “Thanks.”

“You look really pretty, too,” he told her shyly.

Her blush deepened, and she repeated, more quietly, “Thanks.” Then, “You look really good, too.”

He gave her a wry smile and said his thanks. “Care to show an unrefined guy around and explain the deep meanings of the pieces?”

She laughed. “What, Mr. Philosophy can’t figure it out if it’s not in writing?” she teased.

He shook his head, still smiling. “I’m at a loss.”

“Okay. What do you want to know?”

“Well,” he said, walking over to a cluster of four of her aluminum sculptures. “Tell me about these. Why are they all together?”

“They represent the four elements.”

He looked at her quizzically.

She pointed to the one closest to them, a sturdy-looking jumble of organic ovals, spheres, and boxes. “This one represents earth – solid and rocky. And that one is air,” she gestured to a fluff of the finest aluminum wires formed into a shimmering cloud. “Very light and feathery-looking. The next one is fire – see how the bottoms are rounded, but the edges are sharp? Like the flames of a bonfire. And the last one is water; very smooth and flowing.”

He had watched her closely while she’d explained her pieces, and now nodded thoughtfully. “I like it,” he said. “I like that you didn’t use any color, you just let the shapes tell the story. And the aluminum was a good medium; you wouldn’t think that metal could look so light.”

“What about this one?” he asked as he made his way over to a combination piece of glass and aluminum that soared above both their heads.

“This one…I can’t really explain this one. It just sort of came out when I heard this song…” she trailed off, a bit embarrassed.

“What song?” he asked her, clearly interested.

“It’s this old Celtic song, I can’t even pronounce it. I could play it for you sometime, if you really want to hear it.”

“Yeah, I’d like to hear it. So what else here is yours?”

Kelby took him around to each of her pieces, explaining her inspiration while pondering his interest. It was just so…weird, she thought. But really, really nice. I’m really falling for him, and not just because he’s gorgeous. Geez, and I’ve only known him a few weeks. But then her doubt reared its ugly head. But that girl…

“Hey, you want to get a drink and go outside for a bit? It’s getting really warm in here,” he commented, pulling at his collar.

She noticed that his cheeks were pink. Oh, that makes him look even cuter, she fretted.

“I mean, if you’re allowed to…”

She smiled. “Yes, don’t worry, this isn’t a school show, they left the shackles in the storage closet. I’m free to step away.” She took two cups of punch from a winking Chelle and led the way out the back entrance into the small sculpture garden.

“Thanks,” he told her as he took one of the cups and downed half of it in one gulp. Then he unbuttoned the top button of his shirt and placed his bulk on one of the granite benches, sighing. “That’s better,” he smiled at her. “Wanna sit?” He patted the stone next to his beefy thigh, and Kelby’s stomach did a flip-flop.

“Sure,” she replied. She sat next to him, taking care to discreetly pull down her skirt and top, but the bench was a little small for both of them, so their thighs and arms were touching. His warmth burned through her skirt and the sleeve of her shirt, and she almost jumped.

“Sorry,” he said sheepishly, “guess I should have picked a bigger bench.”

“No, it’s alright,” she assured him. She felt as if something was coming; the air felt different, heavier somehow, and very quiet. All she could hear was Will’s breath, soft and even to her right. She looked up at the sky, tracing constellations and trying to prepare herself for whatever was about to happen.

“Your sculptures are amazing, Kelby.” His voice was different.

“Thank you, Will.” She knew she’d spoken more quietly than she’d intended.

“And so are you.”

She turned to look at him, her lips parted in surprise but unable to release any sound.

The color of his cheeks deepened, but his face was serious. “I think you’re amazing, Kelby Dorin. I really like you, and I wanted to ask you if you would be my girlfriend.”

She could feel his muscles tense, as if he expected a blow. She was reeling herself. He really said it! Oh, and he seems like he really means it! But still, that girl…I have to know. Here goes, she thought. “I…but…”

He couldn’t hide the pain that splashed across his face like cold water.

“…but,” she continued, pausing for a deep breath, “who was that girl I saw you with last night?”

Confusion dominated his features now. “Girl? I don’t know what…where?”

“I…I was walking past your house, I mean, I was just going for a walk and I found myself over there, and…I saw you come out of your house with a blonde girl…she was really pretty…”

He stared at her for a moment, then understanding rose. “Oh, her? That’s Julia, my stepsister. She’s a junior here. You…you thought…” he frowned.

She nodded awkwardly.

Will gave a relieved laugh. “Hell, no. Girls don’t…I mean…I haven’t had a girlfriend in…a really long time,” he finished quietly. “I’m actually still waiting for you to laugh at me for even asking you.”

Kelby’s eyes widened. “Why on earth would I laugh at you, Will? I…I think you’re wonderful.” She couldn’t contain her smile.

He gave her a slightly bewildered grin. “Really? You sure those aluminum fumes didn’t get to you? You’re not hallucinating Johnny Depp here in his pirate getup, asking you to be his bonnie ship wench?”

She shook her head, still smiling. “He’s not my type,” she replied, staring intently into his eyes, praying that he would interpret her attempts to be flirty as such.

His eyebrows crinkled, and he asked, slightly bemused, “Are you flirting with me, Miss Dorin?”

She bit her lip as her grin widened, and she nodded.

“So then, you’re not hallucinating? I’m not hallucinating? Your answer is yes?”

“Yes, Mr. Curfman, I really like you, too, and I would love to be your girlfriend. I’ve been hoping for a while that I could be.”

Giddy relief revealed itself in his goofy smile. “Well, then, I think that the first thing we do as boyfriend and girlfriend should be…this.” He cupped her cheek in his palm and slowly leaned closer to her as she moved closer to him. His lips brushed her cheek, then her lips, and they kissed there in the garden, with the stars turning above.

They ducked out of the gallery show early and went back to Kelby’s apartment, where they spent the entire night talking (they did quite a bit of kissing, too) on the couch, their fingers entwined. They finally dozed off around five a.m., Kelby with her head on Will’s shoulder, and Will with his arm around Kelby’s shoulders. They were awakened at one on Saturday afternoon by Kelby’s phone. It was Chelle, begging for news. Kelby simply said, “The answer is yes, and I will call you later.”

“Chelle, huh?” Will asked with a sleepy grin. He looked so good with his hair messed up and his shirt untucked, falling around his supple, round belly. She couldn’t believe that he was actually hers.

“How’d you know?”

“She seemed…eager…to see us together. I ran into her in the food court a few times, and she would always talk about you and kind of drop hints that I should ask you out.”

“No! She didn’t!” Kelby gasped, horrified. “I am so sorry, I’m going to have to yell at her now.”

Will waved his hand in dismissal as he yawned. “No, don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. And don’t worry, she wasn’t all ‘omigosh, Kelby, like, likes, you!’ and giggly and crap. Also, if it wasn’t for her giving me a glimmer of hope, I probably never would have asked you.” His voice almost gave her the shivers, it was so deep and rich.

“Why not?”

He shrugged. “When you’ve been shot down as much as I have, you just give up.”

Kelby frowned. “I can’t imagine any girl with sense saying no to you,” she replied, giving him a lingering kiss.

“Y’know,” he said, between kisses, “I really like you, Kelby, but sometimes you scare me.”

“Why?” She poked his arm, reveling in the way her finger sunk into the thick meat. “You’re smart, you’re funny, you’re handsome…”

He rolled his eyes. “Two outta three ain’t bad.”

“No! You’re funny, remember? You make me laugh all the time…” she said, grinning. He scoffed at her, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

He kissed her nose. “So what do you say we get cleaned up and go somewhere?” he asked.

“Sounds good. I’ll quick get a shower, if you don’t mind waiting, and then we can go over to your place so you can get clean?”

“Sure. Hey, um…” he paused and looked away, “do you have any pop-tarts or cereal or something?”

“Oh, yes! I’m sorry, I should have asked you. I have blueberry pop-tarts, and I have Chex and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I have orange juice, too. What would you like?”

“Uh, just some pop-tarts, please. And some juice.”

He looked embarrassed, and Kelby knew that he was ashamed to be eating. But she was hungry, too. Oh, no, she thought. What am I going to do about my diet? I would feel so ridiculous if he knew I was doing that, even though I guess I’m doing it for him… Well, maybe I can just get away with eating only a little bit of normal food in front of him. I won’t let him see me drink the shakes, and I can take the meal bars out of the wrappers… You’ll figure something out, Kelby.

“Okay, I’ll go get you them right now.”

“Thanks,” he said, still looking a bit uncomfortable. She kissed the top of his head as she passed him.

Once in the kitchen, she put three pop-tarts in the toaster, and pulled out one of her shakes to chug while she was waiting for them to warm. She figured that if he saw her eating one pop-tart, he wouldn’t ask questions about her not eating.

You know what, she thought, there’s no way two pop-tarts are going to be enough for him. She wished that he didn’t feel self-conscious about eating in front of her, but that was kind of hypocritical of her. She got out a bowl and filled it to the top with Cinnamon Toast Crunch, splashed some milk on, then poured him a glass of juice and herself a glass of water. She was done her shake by the time the toaster popped, so she buried the can in the trash and carried the food out to him on a plastic tray.

“Here you go. I figured you probably haven’t eaten for almost twenty-four hours, so I brought you some cereal, too,” she said, hoping she’d worded it in a way so that it wouldn’t shame him more.

“Thanks, Kelby,” he said. His cheeks were a little pink, but he gave her a genuine smile as she picked up her pop-tart and made her way to the bathroom to shower.

She showered quickly, but picking out clothes to wear was another story. Once she’d caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she’d started to get panicky and depressed about all the weight she still had to lose. “I’m never going to be thin,” she muttered to herself as she threw yet another shirt back in the drawer. “Things are never going to look good on me because my stupid gut sticks out of everything.” She rubbed her hands over her eyes in frustration.

“Okay, Kelby. Chill out. You want to be comfortable, but not pajama-comfortable, like Chelle said.” She ended up choosing a sea-green v-neck top and her second-favorite pair of jeans, which were free of paint splotches. She slipped on her trusty sneakers and a necklace and earrings she’d made out of sea opal beads and silver wire, and combed through her damp hair. Looking in the mirror, she wrinkled her nose at herself, but decided it was the best she could do. So she took a deep breath and opened her bedroom door.

Will was slurping the last bits of milk out of the cereal bowl. Kelby smiled – he’s so cute! – and sat down next to him.

“Mmm – hey,” he said, and licked the milk from his lips.

He looked down at her body, and she tried to discreetly suck her stomach in. “You look beautiful,” he told her sincerely.

She felt her face warm. “Thanks. Here, let me put these in the sink, and then if you’re ready, we can go,” she said, reaching for his dishes.

His hand closed over her wrist, and he brought it gently to his lips, then placed it back at her side. “I’ll help.” He picked up the tray with everything on it and whisked it away to the kitchen, Kelby trailing him.

“Hey, that’s not helping, silly, that’s doing,” she scolded him as he began to rinse the bowl and glasses.

“Well, you got them, so it’s only fair that I put them back. Hey, you left the OJ out,” he remarked. He reached for the handle of the refrigerator.

“Oh, here!” she exclaimed. “I’ll get it, I’ll get it. My fridge is a disaster.” She opened the door just wide enough for the bottle to slide through, and quickly shut it. “Thank you for helping.”

“My pleasure,” he replied. She just looked at him for a moment, wondering how she got so lucky. “Ready to go?” he interrupted her reverie.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #7

Ten minutes later, they were on Will’s front porch. He turned to her, running his fingers nervously through his dark curls. “Um…I know I’ve mentioned my roommates before…Josh and Kevin; Kevin’s the pre-law major, he’s blonde. Well, they…uhh…I just wanted to warn you…they can be…they can really be assholes sometimes.”

“Well, they’re not going to try to pile-drive me or anything, are they?” she asked him, smiling nervously.

“No, no, no, they’re just…jerks. I mean, they’re my friends, Josh moreso than Kevin…they’re not rude all the time, but they can be and frequently are. Especially Kevin. I don’t want them to hurt your feelings or anything.”

“I’ll be okay, Will,” she assured him. But she felt a gnawing suspicion that she knew exactly what these guys would be assholes about.

Will opened the door, and there they were, lounging on the furniture, slamming the video game controllers and yelling at the television screen. Kevin, she assumed, shouted, “You butthole, reload the freakin’ thing!”

The other one, Josh, glanced over at Will and said, “Hey, look who’s back. Where’ve you been, big guy?” He did a double take as he saw Kelby. “Dude, what…who’s that?” He paused the game and stared at them. Kelby fidgeted and crossed her arms over her stomach.

“What’d you do that for?” Kevin shrieked, letting out a string of curses. He, too, turned to gape at Will and Kelby. “What the hell…”

“Hi to you, too, Kevin.”

“Where the hell have you been? Did you even come back last night? And who’s that?”

“I’ve been out. And this is my girlfriend, Kelby,” he said, his mouth turning up a bit at the corners. Kelby flushed at his pleasure in saying that. “This is Josh,” he pointed at the lanky, shaggy-looking guy with brown hair who still appeared slightly confused, “and this is Kevin.” He gestured to the clean-cut jock with the buzzed blonde hair, who looked like he’d just smelled something nasty.

“Since when do you have a girlfriend?” Josh asked. He still looked genuinely bewildered, but Kevin’s expression was becoming more disgusted by the second.

“Don’t worry about it, man,” Will replied. “I’m just here to clean up, then we’re leaving.”

“You slept at her place?” Kevin asked.

Will ignored him and led Kelby down the hall to a door on the left. “I lucked out and got the single room; you can wait in here while I get a shower.”

She nodded, grateful. He opened the door, and her eyes widened in surprise. “I must return the compliment, Will. Your room is very nice. Clean, too,” she said, smiling. “And I like your posters.”

“Thanks. Uh, you can watch tv or something if you want…I’ll try to hurry up.” He was rummaging through his dresser for clothes.

“It’s okay, take your time.”

He came over and kissed her. “Just…whatever you do, stay in here. I don’t trust them. Okay?”

She sat down at his computer chair – it felt too strange to sit on his bed – and looked around the room at what he had on his walls. A lot of band prints, some she recognized and some she didn’t, and a few photos, some scenic and some with people in them. She got up to examine those more closely. There was one with him and a slender middle-aged woman – his mother, she presumed, since she shared his dark curly hair and light skin – in front of a Miami Beach sign.

Another featured Will, an older man, an attractive blonde woman, and the girl she’d seen him with, his stepsister, Julia, in a Christmas-y setting. The man must have been his father, for he displayed a darker version of Will’s grey eyes, and she assumed the woman was his stepmother. Kelby felt a pang of compassion as she took note of Will’s slightly forced smile in the picture. He was definitely the only large member of the family, and she knew how that felt.

There was also a picture of Will and Julia that looked a few years old. It was a goofy shot: Julia had her hands around Will’s neck and a crazy look on her face, and Will’s tongue was sticking out and his eyes were crossed. Kelby smiled at the image; it said a lot about him that he got along so well with a step-sibling at a younger age.

A few more minutes went by, and then she heard slightly muffled voices outside the door.

“What?” she heard Will ask.

The other voice got louder as the speaker moved closer. “..stayed at her place last night?” It was Kevin.

“Yeah, so?”

“Dude, seriously, what the hell?”

“What?” Will said, sounding annoyed.

“Isn’t she kinda fat?” Kevin said disdainfully.

Kelby’s heart nearly thumped out of her chest.

“Screw off, Kevin.” Will sounded furious.

“I know you’re not exactly Mr. Six-Pack 2010, but if you’re this desperate, why don’t you just pay for a whore instead of going hogging?”

It sounded like something hit the wall, and Kevin muttered some profanities.
“Keep your mouth shut, asshole. I like her.”

The door opened and Will walked in, red-faced. In a split-second decision, Kelby decided to act like she hadn’t heard their exchange.

“Is everything okay? I thought I heard something fall,” she said.

He looked at her for a moment, and then she saw the tension drain out of his shoulders. “Yeah, Kel, everything’s fine. Kevin probably just smashed a piece of furniture again.”

She stood up and ran her fingers through his wet hair. “You have really nice hair.”

His expression turned perplexed but amused. “Oh, really?”

“Well you have really nice everything,” he whispered in her ear.

She jumped a little at the feeling of his hot breath, then decided to try out that whole flirting thing again. “Mr. Curfman, I hope you didn’t think I meant to imply that I don’t find the rest of you equally…nice.”

He blushed, and gave her that slightly baffled look again. “You weren’t sniffing my Krazy Glue, were you?”

She shook her head coyly, and snuck her arms under his and around his sides. Oh, he’s so soft…my arms don’t make it anywhere near around him.

He placed his hands on her hips, and she flinched a little. He frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she said, trying to stop her insane thoughts from processing. His belly is touching mine. It feels so good, but I know that means he can feel how fat I am. And with his hands on my hips… But then he gave her a long, sweet kiss, and the voice was silent.

The next two and a half weeks passed blissfully. Kelby and Will spent every available moment together, walking around campus, watching movies, and just talking. Chelle was thrilled for Kelby, and didn’t mind at all that her time with her best friend had been slightly reduced since she was so darn happy, and her own volleyball activities were occupying more of her time.

A tiny dark cloud hung over the happy couple, however. Kelby recognized it for exactly what it was, and for exactly how silly it was, but that didn’t take the fear away. Neither of them was comfortable being touched below the neck. She could feel Will’s muscles tense slightly every time she hugged him, and she knew that she did it too. She was aware that they would have to deal with it eventually, but she was still too scared that if he “felt how fat she really was,” as she put it, he wouldn’t want her. Also, neither of them was very good at accepting compliments.

“I don’t know about this, Will,” Kelby called from her bedroom. Chelle had invited them both to the volleyball team’s annual Halloween party, which was pirate-themed this year, and they were getting ready at Kelby’s place. She had donned a long, full skirt, a billowy white shirt, and a vest over top of it, complete with lots of chains and baubles, and a bandana over her hair. She felt huge. The shirt was much more low-cut than anything she was used to, and she felt as though every bulge and roll was busting out of the tight vest.

“I’m sure you look better than I do,” Will quipped from the bathroom. “I feel kind of silly. You ready?”

She sighed. “I guess so. Come on in.”

Will opened the door and froze. Oh, wow, he looks hot… she thought. He was wearing a tri-cornered hat and a white shirt with a vest left open over it (she suspected he’d been unable to button it), with tight-ish black pants and a fake cutlass strapped to his belt. And he filled out those clothes very nicely. She wanted to run over to him and rip them off and kiss his big round belly all over. He stared at her still, and the bit of confidence she’d had fled her mind.

“I look ridiculous, don’t I?” She flopped down on her bed.

“No, no, no!” he exclaimed as he came over and sat next to her. “I was just surprised. I mean, I’ve never seen you dressed as a pirate before. You look really, really good…gorgeous. Extremely yarr-worthy.”

She raised her eyebrow at him. “Yarr-worthy?”

He nodded seriously.

“Well, babe, you look so good I’d walk the plank for you,” she quipped in her best corny romantic voice.

Will smiled and gave her a peck on the cheek. “You’re too cute.”

“Thanks.” She smiled. “I guess we’d better get going before Chelle calls wondering where we are.”
Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

Chelle shrieked over how good they looked when they showed up. She was already a little tipsy, so she didn’t lower her voice as much as Kelby would have liked when she leaned in to her and told Kelby that her boobs looked awesome. Chelle was the one who looked great, Kelby told her. With her figure, Chelle could more than get away with the skimpy, lacy wench getup she was donning. Kelby tried not to feel jealous, and was grateful to see that Will’s eyes never strayed below Chelle’s neck. She knew in her heart that he wouldn’t be checking out her best friend, but she was too insecure to not be apprehensive about it.

The party turned out to be incredibly crowded, and was therefore fairly uncomfortable for the couple. They banged into too many people trying to get around, so Will finally secured them a spot on the couch. It was too loud to talk, so they just sat there for a while with their drinks, holding hands, while Kelby surveyed the other partygoers. Most of the other girls there were dressed in ensembles with even less fabric than Chelle’s, and she felt that familiar pang of regret well up inside her as she saw their flat stomachs and slender hips. Life would be so much easier if I looked like that, she thought wistfully. She glanced down at herself and started to feel ashamed. Oh, I feel gross.

“Hey,” Will said loudly, “I see Julia. I want you to meet her.”

Kelby got up and took Will’s hand, following him through the crowd. “Julia!” he roared. A head of blonde hair turned, and a dazzling smile flashed in their direction.

She’s even more beautiful up close, she thought as the girl drew near.

“Will, hey! I didn’t think you’d be here!” she exclaimed. She gave him a hug. “What’s up?”

“Yeah, I decided to crawl out of my hole and go somewhere social for a change. Julia, this is my girlfriend, Kelby. Kelby, my stepsister, Julia.”

“Hi,” Kelby said, shyly holding out her hand for the girl to shake.

Julia surprised her by wrapping her in a hug. “Oh, it’s so great to finally meet you!” she squealed. “I’ve heard so much about you. And wow, are you ever beautiful!” She shot a sly look at Will before continuing. “I love your costume; it’s so nice to see someone dressed tastefully. Practically every skank here has her boobs and her ass hanging out.”

Kelby laughed. She could see why Will got along so well with his stepsister; she seemed very down to earth.

“So are you guys doing the rounds tonight? I never thought you were much of a partier, Will.”

“Nah,” Will replied. “I don’t even know how long we’re going to stay here; it’s so crowded.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, if you guys feel like it, you’re welcome to come over to my place later. John and I are having a few people over when all this gets old, and we’d be happy to have you.”

“Thanks, Jules. I’ll give you a call if we decide to come. Right now, I really need to go outside and get some air,” Will said.

Kelby noticed that there was sweat running down the back of his neck. Even though she only had two drinks in her system, the sight of his glistening skin made her want to… She didn’t let herself finish the thought, because she knew she’d go crazy.

“It was really nice to meet you, Julia,” she said.

“You too, hon!” The girl gave her another hug, and then waved at Will. “Have a good night, bro!” She winked at him, and disappeared into the crowd.

“You okay?” Kelby asked Will.

His cheeks were getting pink. “Yeah, it’s just too hot in here. Do you mind if we go outside?”

“No, of course not. I’m getting too warm myself.”

They squeezed past the increasingly intoxicated partygoers and out into the crisp fall air, their hands loosely clasped as they sauntered up the street. “I’m sorry about having to come out here, Kel, I just really needed to cool off,” he apologized. “We can go back inside in like five minutes, I promise.”
“Will, don’t worry about it,” she said, looking at him. He looked embarrassed. “We don’t even need to go back, if you don’t want to.”

“No, I feel bad about making you leave…”

“Do you want to stay?” she asked him.

“I…” he started, but then said, “if you want to stay, I want to stay.”

She smiled at him. “Well, I don’t want to stay, so let’s go. We can go back to my place and watch a scary movie; there are tons of them on tv tonight. Parties really aren’t my thing.”

He looked relieved. “You’re pretty amazing, do you know that, Kelby?” He leaned over and kissed her, wrapping his fingers through her long hair. She in turn wrapped her arms around him, enjoying his softness while trying to ignore the fact that he could also feel hers.

Ten minutes later in Kelby’s apartment, they had changed out of their costumes and were flipping channels to find a good movie. “Ooh, here’s ‘The Exorcist,’ that’s one of my favorites,” Will said.

“Sounds good to me,” she said. “Hey, I’m going to run to the bathroom before it starts, I’ll be right back.”

“Okay, I’m going to go get us some drinks,” he replied.

After she’d used the bathroom, Kelby toed her scale out from underneath her sink. She feared that she’d stopped losing weight because she was having trouble not eating when she was out with Will. He’d asked her why she wasn’t hungry a few times, and she hadn’t wanted to arouse his suspicion…so she ate normally whenever she was with him now. She gingerly stepped onto the cold metal, and her heart sunk. She’d gained six pounds back. Ugh, what am I going to do? Alright, Kelby, this is fixable. It’s only six pounds. Just a little setback. You just really have to watch yourself from now on, and start walking more, she resolved as she looked at herself in the mirror. She took a few deep breaths and exited the bathroom.

But Will wasn’t in the living room. “Will?” she called as she walked towards the kitchen. “Did you get lost in there?”

He was standing at the open refrigerator with something in his hand.

He turned to face her, and he had that confused and hurt look on his face that she’d encountered the first time she’d seen him, in the supermarket. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s this?” He held up one of her QuickThin shakes.

She’d completely forgotten about them! Her heart nearly burst out of her chest as her mouth dropped open. “I…”

“Why are you drinking this crap?” he asked angrily.

Kelby couldn’t help it. Tears began spilling uncontrollably from her eyes.

Will put the can back in the refrigerator and shut the door, and gently placed his hand on her shoulder. “Kelby, why do you have that stuff?”

“I…I just…” But she couldn’t make the words come out. She lowered her head, trying to wipe her eyes.

Will lifted her chin with his fingers so that their eyes were in contact. “Kelby, you don’t need those. You…you don’t need to…to lose weight.” He looked scared.

She grimaced. “Yes, I do,” she said, turning away from him and crossing her arms over her belly defensively.

He grabbed her arm and turned her back to face him, holding her shoulders. “Kelby. I think you’re beautiful. You are beautiful.” He took her hands and held them out so she couldn’t cover herself up. “I think that all of you is beautiful,” he said, meaningfully looking at her midsection.

Her face reddened, and new tears sprung from her eyes. “You don’t have to try to make me feel better, Will.”

He sighed, frustrated. “I’m telling you the truth, Kelby.” He let go of her fingers, and slowly placed his hands on her belly. “I…I like this.” He gazed at her, looking like a deer caught in a truck’s headlights, ready for disaster at any moment.

She stared at him, wide-eyed, her whole body tensed. Could he…could he be one, too? Maybe I should…but I don’t want to embarrass him. Geez, he’s taken such a huge risk by saying this… “You…you’re being honest with me, Will?”

He nodded. “Yes, Kelby. I…I think it’s…I love your body. You don’t need to lose an ounce, certainly not for me. If anyone should be sucking those things down, it’s me.”

There was her opening. “Oh, Will, no... You…I…”

He blushed. “Now, you don’t need to jump on the bandwagon just because I outed myself, Kel. I know what I look like, I’ve come to terms with it. I don’t need any comfort.”

“Will, do you remember that day in the supermarket? When I dropped my money at the register, and you brought it out to me in the parking lot?”

“Uh, yeah,” he replied, baffled.

“Do you remember before that, in the aisle, when you first saw me? I was staring at you?”

His face colored deeper, and he nodded. “Yeah, I had a cartful of crap I shouldn’t have been eating.”

“I was…I was staring at you because I thought you were hot,” she confessed.

His eyebrows wrinkled in bewilderment. “Wh-what?” he stammered.

She took a deep breath. “Will, I’ve had a crush on you from the moment I saw you. I thought you were the best-looking guy I’d ever seen. And then I got to know you, and you were just…wonderful. But before I’d spoken a word to you, I was incredibly attracted to you. I think that you – that this…” she placed her hands on his big, soft belly, right at the bottom, the part she’d wanted to touch so many times before, and he gasped, “…is unbelievably sexy.”

Will seemed to have stopped breathing. He was staring at her hands on his paunch, shocked that they were there. “I…you…did…did you do drugs when you went to the bathroom?” He looked into her eyes, genuine confusion showing through his joke.

She shook her head, and lightly pinched his blubber.

He shivered.

She smiled at him. “No drugs. And no lie. I just…you’re so soft…and…it’s really, really irresistible.” Shocking herself, she took the hem of his shirt in her hands and slowly lifted it up.

He took her by the wrist. “Kelby, don’t…” He looked so fragile, like the thinnest piece of glass.

She kissed him. “I want to see.”

He stared at her a moment longer, then took his shirt in his own hands and lifted it over his head. He let it drop to the floor, his cheeks flaming, his eyes unable to return to hers again. His torso was even paler than his face, and so smooth. Faint traces of silvery stretch marks flowed across the vast ocean of his flesh, with newer pink marks standing out vividly.

She’d been right about his chest and arms; they were soft with fat but thick with muscle. His sides were a series of flabby rolls that circled around to his back, the lowest forming juicy love handles above the waistband of his pants. And his belly was the centerpiece, round and extraordinarily pliable, spilling out over his belt in a soft wave.

Kelby took in a shaky breath as she reached out for his sides and sunk her fingers into his fat. “Oh, Will…” she breathed.

He cringed.

“No, Will…you’re magnificent.” She stroked his face with one hand and pinched his belly with the other.

He stared at her with hungry eyes. “You’re serious. You actually…like…this?”

She nodded, trying to convey her desire with the look she gave him.

He let out his breath and gave her a slightly uneasy grin. “Then how about it be your turn now?”

She frowned. “Now why would you want to go and ruin a good moment with that?”

“To make it even better,” he replied softly.

She swallowed hard. “Will, can I trust you?”

“Of course,” he said. “You have me standing here shirtless when no one’s seen me without a shirt since my mom changed my last diaper,” he quipped. “I’d do pretty much anything for you. Why?”

“Because…someone hurt me pretty badly, back in high school…and I’m just…well, it’s not every day that you find someone who says he thinks you’re sexy when you’ve thought you were disgusting for so long. It’s really…scary.”

“You know, Kelby, you and I have that in common.” He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her deeply, then said, “You can trust me, I swear it. But don’t do it if you don’t want to. It’s okay.”

I can’t believe I’m doing this, she thought, but she took a step back from him, and slowly pulled off her shirt. She clutched it to her belly for a moment, until Will gently took it from her and set it on the table. She felt his fingers push into her soft sides, and she shivered.

“Kelby,” he whispered in her ear, his hands cupping her belly, and hers clinging to his side rolls.

“Yes, Will?”

“You are the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.”

The End

If you would like to leave a comment on this story, please create a Dimensions account and follow this link to the board where the story was originally posted.