Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
northwestgirl

northwestgirl has said some nice things
Default Vehicles for the plus size!

I know there are probably a lot of threads about this but I haven't found but one. Right now, I drive a 2006 Honda Element and although the back is very roomy I can't say the same for the front ( especially the drivers side). With trying to accommodate a stomach and hips the car is beginning to be on the squished side! So any recommendations for cars to accommodate both..preferably with an open portion between the front seats ( the counsel)
Thanks
northwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
DJBEATBOX2k3

DJBEATBOX2k3 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDJBEATBOX2k3 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Lincoln towncar executive L is a good one.
DJBEATBOX2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You might also want to look at this recent thread on the main board: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...d.php?t=114656

And here are some older ones:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...hlight=vehicle

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...hlight=vehicle

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...highlight=cars

I hope that helps somewhat!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
biackrlng

biackrlng can now change their title

Ford Fusion seems to be a good one My friend she weighes 350 with huge hips and she says its comfy for her
biackrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Deacone
For Azeroth!

Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!Deacone keeps pushing the rep limit!

Weirdly enough my 1997 VW polo manages to contain my bulk, and i'm pushing 400 lbs lol
Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
TheMrs

TheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot picsTheMrs does more than just post hot pics

Never thought I'd wish for the days of bench seats again However, at my size (450+) bench seats are my friend!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBEATBOX2k3 View Post
Lincoln towncar executive L is a good one.
I'm going to have to disagree. My mother-in-law has one of these. Its a POS and doesn't actually have that much room for the driver (the back seat is large). Its also very hard to get in and out of.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestgirl View Post
I know there are probably a lot of threads about this but I haven't found but one. Right now, I drive a 2006 Honda Element and although the back is very roomy I can't say the same for the front ( especially the drivers side). With trying to accommodate a stomach and hips the car is beginning to be on the squished side! So any recommendations for cars to accommodate both..preferably with an open portion between the front seats ( the counsel)
Thanks
I've recently rented both the Hyundai Soul (2nd generation) and Mazda CX-5. Both have lots of room for the driver and both are nice to drive, reasonably efficient, and reasonably priced.

When my Volvo V70 dies I'll be buying one of these (note: my Volvo has lots of leg room and decent headroom but wouldn't be a good car for extra-wide people).
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
BothGunsBlazing
Back...ish

BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!

I can't speak for newer vehicles, but my 2003 Chevy Impala is quite roomy.
BothGunsBlazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I drive a Nissan Xterra and its pretty roomy.
My hips do touch the door and center console but not uncomfortable in any way.
Looks like I need to run the seat back a notch or two LOL
Attached Images
File Type: png Snapshot 1 (6-1-2015 12-05 AM).png (144.0 KB, 1295 views)
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have a Hyundai Sonata sedan and its pretty roomy. Have tall sons and plenty of leg room for them and my belly fits just fine, and the steering wheel adjusts. My son has a Dodge Dart and it is not height nor weight friendly, especially the back seat area.
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Can't be overstated...

It depends, really. It really depends on precisely how big you are and how you are big. Whether tall or short or just about average in height. And width versus...depth?

A lot of the German/European makers (Benz, Audi, VW) have at least a driver's seat that's 4-way adjustable. Even in the earlier models; I mean used cars that are, like, more 7-8 years old. However, if you're either/or above, say, 5' 10" in height or have a Yellow-pages sized buttocks, getting under the height profile of the sedan or coupe models can mean lowering the seat to where you're sitting a bit low to floor. Which is perfectly comfortable for most of us, especially if you have the belt extender, to sit driving like that for 3-4 hours.

It's when you're trying to get in or out (again, after having been sedentary for a couple of hours), that you might look a bit funny.

Conversely, you tend to see the opposite type of problem with (I've only driven) American trucks or SUVS. If you're tall enough, it's easy to just hop out. But, depending on how big your belly, it will practically have to be touching the the giant steering wheel in order for you to be close enough to reach the rest of the dash controls (radio, climate control, window defrost, etc...).

That's why, as some have mentioned before, Suburu's Outback makes for something of an effective compromise. The height profile of it is such that a taller or big-butted person can get in without craning their head too much or lowering the seat to where they feel like they're climbing out of a hole. It's also wider than, say, the Forester model along with a bunch of others. However, it also handles a bit better than most SUV's or even small trucks and isn't so difficult for short or old people to get in or out of, either the driver's or passenger's seat.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*subscribes*

I've yet to find a car that I can drive without pilling the front of my clothing on the steering wheel.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
tomy27

tomy27 has said some nice things

Since I am living in Austria I can't say anything about US cars.
But my partner and I decided to buy a new car in February and we had a quite hard time to find a proper car. We found out that almost all manufacturers increased the size of the center consoles over the last years and that was a problem for my partner because she could not reach the belt buckle anymore at most of the cars. Now I would recommend two french cars
1) Citroen CS 4 Cactus - Bench seat, enough space
2) Renault Capur - Mini SUV, no center console, long belt
At the end we bought the Renaul because it was more comfortable.
tomy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

Toyota RAV4.... Just got it a week ago and I love it!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
mz_puss
BigCutie

mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mz_puss has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ok being an Aussie, I might not be much help. But the only car I know of, that I fit in to enough to drive is my VT Holden Commodore. I am pushing 550+ pounds, around 80 inch hips/belly and I am 5'11".
In saying that though, it is a tight squeeze.

Id love to know what other people around my size are driving ?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #17
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

2015 camry is ok....my brother is a big guy 6' over 400 lbs and he is ok with the 2015 camry.

but it is all relative i guess. if you have a big belly of wide hips..or if your fat is "malleable"..lol..
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #18
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
2015 camry is ok....my brother is a big guy 6' over 400 lbs and he is ok with the 2015 camry.

but it is all relative i guess. if you have a big belly of wide hips..or if your fat is "malleable"..lol..
This is true. I have a belly and a shelf butt. In most cars usually both the steering wheel and the pedals are too close for me. I need a tall person's car.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #19
northwestgirl

northwestgirl has said some nice things

Have been reading and looking up some of the cars people have recommended. I have a bigger belly and wider hips and a butt!!! Not a double but triple whammy!!! :/ Thank you for the pic Tracii....makes it easier to see someone actually driving the car and how roomy it really is for us bigger people
northwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #20
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Have been reading and looking up some of the cars people have recommended. I have a bigger belly and wider hips and a butt!!! Not a double but triple whammy!!! :/ Thank you for the pic Tracii....makes it easier to see someone actually driving the car and how roomy it really is for us bigger people

You are so welcome northwestgirl.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
BriannaBombshell
hi

BriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging inBriannaBombshell makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Thanks
I drove a Chevy Tahoe with no problems at all but it is a gas hog!

Now I drive an 05 Honda element!! I am 5'11 511 pounds ( whoa I just realized the match in numbers!) and I am very bottom heavy, big hips butt and belly. I love my car but I know your pain. My bottom hangs over the side of the drivers seat and so I shove a pillow there to help hold my bottom up. I have thought about taking out the door panel and making some sort of contraption to put in the middle of the seats to make it more like a bench seat. I too was wondering if there is some kind of SUV type vehicle that can accommodate a tall bottom heavy woman.

Ps I am also in the Northwest!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #22
BigCutieAurora
BigCutieAurora

BigCutieAurora does more than just post hot picsBigCutieAurora does more than just post hot picsBigCutieAurora does more than just post hot picsBigCutieAurora does more than just post hot pics

This is such an issue for me! I absolutely adore small cars but I feel squished whenever I'm in them. Advice on smaller cars that feel big?? (: Thanks!
BigCutieAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~nai'a~ View Post
Toyota RAV4.... Just got it a week ago and I love it!
Not that I've been in loads of different cars but that is THE only car that I feel 100% comfortable both getting in and out of, and sitting in! What a dream not having to clamber down into a car or haul myself up out of it like a sack of potatoes. Instead you just regally step into the RAV 4 from the wide open door into the spacious foot well area. The passenger seat felt like an armchair. Ahh can't sing it's praises enough!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #24
~nai'a~

~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed~nai'a~ never has a post go unnoticed

It really is fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Not that I've been in loads of different cars but that is THE only car that I feel 100% comfortable both getting in and out of, and sitting in! What a dream not having to clamber down into a car or haul myself up out of it like a sack of potatoes. Instead you just regally step into the RAV 4 from the wide open door into the spacious foot well area. The passenger seat felt like an armchair. Ahh can't sing it's praises enough!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've got a rental this week because both of the cars in my family died in the space of a weekend, and I'm really rather surprised by how roomy it is! They set me up with a 2015 Nissan Versa, it's a tiny little thing but the interior's HUGE. At least, it feels that way to me compared to my 2006 Outback!

Your mileage my vary of course, and I'm pretty small compared to some, but it might be worth checking out.