Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default For many, benefits fade by five years out

It sounds like you really need to build all new habits in that first year if you hope to cement the benefits from surgery.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/photos/weight...ears-1.3180143
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Super Fan

Super Fan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSuper Fan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSuper Fan can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default WLS Catch 22

Tad - that was a good link, lots of the people that I know, who had WLS had those kind of long term failures. Doctors tell patients of WLS they need to exercise and change their eating habits or the surgery will not work. Hold on, if they could exercise and change their eating habits, they wouldn't need the horrific surgery in the first place.

So it's a catch 22 - if they are super successful and change their exercise & eating habits, they would have done better had they skipped the WLS and lost their weight & kept it off naturally without the bad effects of the surgery. If they can't change their habits then - in the long run the surgery does not work.

The people I know who had the surgery are on average doing worse than those not getting the surgery. A increasing number of WLS failures get a 2nd, a 3rd WLS after their stomach pouch stretches out and they gain most of their weight back. What an ungodly expensive painful mess that nightmare is.
Super Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Fan View Post
Tad - that was a good link, lots of the people that I know, who had WLS had those kind of long term failures. Doctors tell patients of WLS they need to exercise and change their eating habits or the surgery will not work. Hold on, if they could exercise and change their eating habits, they wouldn't need the horrific surgery in the first place.

So it's a catch 22 - if they are super successful and change their exercise & eating habits, they would have done better had they skipped the WLS and lost their weight & kept it off naturally without the bad effects of the surgery. If they can't change their habits then - in the long run the surgery does not work.

Less than 5% of people who try "natural" weight loss have any appreciable long term success. Weight loss surgery facilitates life changes. Its hard to exercise if you're 400 or 500 pounds. Its hard to change your diet if you're always hungry (the cutting of nerves greatly reduces hunger for most WLS patients).

Both my wife and a good friend have lost substantial weight after WLS. My wife went from 522 lbs to 161 and still loosing three years out. My friend from 365 to 175 (maintained for over 10 years). A primary motivation for both was their careers. Both have been promoted since they lost weight. Both used to sit at desks with a draw full of snacks. Both now spend all day running from meeting to meeting. Lunch used to be the high point of my wife's day -- now I have to call and remind her to actually eat something.

For WLS to be successful it has to be used to leverage lifestyle changes -- its certainly not a magic bullet but its a useful tool.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote