Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

View Poll Results: What did you score?
Strong preference for fat people 5 21.74%
Moderate preference for fat people 10 43.48%
Slight preference for fat people 2 8.70%
Little to no preference 2 8.70%
Slight preference for thin people 1 4.35%
Moderate preference for thin people 3 13.04%
Strong preference for thin people 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Implicit Associations!

So, in one of my classes, we discussed the IAT: the implicit associations test. Most commonly, it's used to see if people have internal racist inclinations even if they are not outwardly expressed or known.

But the IAT isn't used exclusively for race. On the website, there are numerous tests...including one for weight. That is, to test whether you implicitly favor thin people or fat people.

I thought it would be cool for people on Dimensions to take this test. The test usually shows that people have an implicit preference for thin people (uh, maybe we can just ignore that, for the time being) and I was curious to see how people here scored.

Even as a thin person, I scored as having a moderate automatic preference for fatties.

Here's the website: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

All you have to do is click on "Take a Test". There's some demographic stuff, but if it's a drop-down menu interface (only some of the tests are) then you can skip it.

I'm going to make a poll so people don't have to admit their results if they don't want to. But feel free to discuss. You know you want to try it. For science.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I got moderate for fat people. I admit, I wasn't expecting there to be any difference in the speed at which I catergorised words/pictures based on which were paired together but my brain kind of stalled a lot on the 'fat people/bad words' 'thin people/good words' section.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

• I tried this test, it doesn't work for me. My mind is only capable of explicit alienations as opposed to implicit associations, sorry.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

I ended up getting, "Little to no preference" which is honestly what I was expecting. I've had a pretty balanced combination of fat and thin friends growing up, as well as crushes. I'm not an FA, but I'm not not an FA either, if that makes any sense.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Despite my "joke" this is an excellent thread. I can't rep her for it hopfully someone gets it.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Slight fat people preference over here; which makes sense in the light of my romantic and sexual affinity for fat people, and my many other admirations of / aesthetic attractions to thin people
Old 10-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Interesting. I had the same result as Amaranthine and Loopy. I did wonder if the order of the test sections influenced the results, but the test designers stated that this aspect of the test had been studied. I don't have time to read what they said about that right now, but I plan to check it out later.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to try this, Amaranthine!
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I liked this version much better than one I'd done in the past that used badly manipulated photos--they were distractingly inhuman looking.

Oh, and I scored moderate preference for fat people.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

No surprise here

YOUR RESULT:
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Fat People compared to Thin People.

Thank you for sharing and posting this test.
DianaSSBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging in

I'll have to try it later. On my Samsung wi-fi tablet, the keyboard does not present itself, so I can't touch the space bar to start.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Fat People compared to Thin People.

Apparently I like fat people. It's pretty shocking. I don't know how I feel about it...

Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Fat People compared to Thin People.

Apparently I like fat people. It's pretty shocking. I don't know how I feel about it...

You like big guts and you cannot lie.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My dyslexia fucks with this test. I've taken it a few times and got a different outcome each time.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
Mordecai
The fire is coming for us

Mordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging inMordecai makes people happy simply by logging in

Little to no here - I mainly date women much, much smaller than I am because I like pretending I'm the Blob from the 80s remake.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #15
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Fascinating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
"I got moderate for fat people. I admit, I wasn't expecting there to be any difference in the speed at which I catergorised words/pictures based on which were paired together but my brain kind of stalled a lot on the 'fat people/bad words' 'thin people/good words' section."
Same. My brain was like, "Hey, that's perfectly-good fat person....
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
I got moderate for fat people. I admit, I wasn't expecting there to be any difference in the speed at which I catergorised words/pictures based on which were paired together but my brain kind of stalled a lot on the 'fat people/bad words' 'thin people/good words' section.
Yes for me the section that was like fat people/negative words, i bombed it. My brain had to do a sort of five knuckle shuffle to even pick the right key. Basically it had to a sort of "if i write with my right hand that must be left" instead of being able to do it quickly. Or reminded me of "which of these words is NOT like the other for that section, so my brain had to translate each them flip it to the opposit.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:28 AM   #17
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Two observations: By specifically having all these FAs take the test their data set probably just shifted a lot, I am sure they collect it in some way. Maybe Amara should post this seperately on the general boards as well. Second I wonder how reliable this is for those with disparate views regarding fat on themselves vs fat on others.

By the way I scored moderate pref for skinnies. I am sure pre-dims I would have been strong pref skinnies. I was not suprised at the pref, I have never enjoyed being heavy although I have an affinity for the behaviors that cause it...
Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #18
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

To be blunt I have spent most if my life conditioning myself to not feel aversion at the words, despite my preferences.

The media, family, general populace swings so strongly the other way that I had to retrain my mind. To hear "fat" and not mentally hear lazy, unsuccessful, ugly etc after it. So the fact I spent so much time ripping down my preconceptions and building them back up probably accounts for some of my test results.

Also the fact that the fat/bad keys being the same was the first round when i was still gettin a hang of the system, and fat/good key was after/therefore i was faster.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #19
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
To be blunt I have spent most if my life conditioning myself
Interesting, if I can't find an FFA in the wild, so to speak, perhaps I can make one via conditioning. I imagine it would require something like the clockwork orange scene of Alex's violence reconditioning. Subject's head secured in place, EEG monitoring, eyelids taped open, high doses of hallucingenic drugs and belly jiggling videos. Might be on to something. My FFA research is paying dividends finally.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Interesting, if I can't find an FFA in the wild, so to speak, perhaps I can make one via conditioning. I imagine it would require something like the clockwork orange scene of Alex's violence reconditioning. Subject's head secured in place, EEG monitoring, eyelids taped open, high doses of hallucingenic drugs and belly jiggling videos. Might be on to something. My FFA research is paying dividends finally.
Hmmm, pretty sure that was aversion conditioning…
Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #21
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Hmmm, pretty sure that was aversion conditioning…
Good point. Six pack models and fitness videos in that case.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #22
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging inRabbitScorpion makes people happy simply by logging in

Now on the desktop computer - with a real keyboard!

Moderate preference for fat people.

I really don't know if that is the result of my preference, or the fact that in the tests that included words and pictograms, I had a little more experience taking the test in the last section of the test, thus making the selections faster.

One thing I did not like was the question on political affiliation. I had to choose "neutral". I am anything but neutral - I'm on the "left" on some issues and to the "right" on others.

Then there is the question of exactly fat preference is. I prefer a woman of build for a personal partner, but when I'm working or doing business with someone, or having a conversation, I don't see weight at all, it's not even on my mind.