Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep
Default South USA Road trip

SO! I am in need of a vacation...I thought I would take a road trip through the south of the USA. I totally dig bbq and southern food in general. Anyone live in any areas of the south have major recommendations of places I CANNOT miss? I will start in Los Angeles and maybe end in Key West FL. Happy for detours.
ecogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If you drive through central Oklahoma (which you will if you take Interstate 40), make a point to stop in Oklahoma City for the Cattlemen's Steakhouse experience. The restaurant grew up 100 years ago when the area around it was a stockyard; it once changed ownership in a poker game. I take out-of-state visitors there, and they rave about the steaks. Look them up at www.CattlemensRestaurant.com.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep

This is the sort of stuff I am after. I certainly will stop in. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've never been there (I'm too far away), but if I ever get to Austin, TX I'm definitely queuing up at Franklin Barbeque. The owner is one of the best pit masters in the US, was featured in the movie Chef, and I hear they sell out of barbeque every day.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
ecogeek

one2one, Yah...I have a few places lined up in Texas, but need to be careful because people line up at most of them early in the morning...I LOVE good bbq.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Are you going to be passing through Los Angeles? Because if so, you really need to hit Manuel's El Tepeyac Cafe for lunch or dinner. The place is in the Boyle Heights section, and it is legendary -- and justly so. This is what Mexican food aspires to be (but so often fails). Just make sure you're extra hungry, because the burritos are as big as your head. More info here.http://manuelseltepeyac.com
Old 10-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecogeek View Post
"...major recommendations of places I CANNOT miss? I will start in Los Angeles and maybe end in Key West FL. Happy for detours."
Maybe it depends, somewhat, on when you're going and what type of route you're going to take. And how much time you have.

e.g., If you already wanted to see the French Quarter of New Orleans anyway, then I think Cafe Du Monde is kind of a cool, an inexpensive spot to sit for bit. Especially if you were looking to meet-up with anyone or your party wants to split up for a while so one of you gets a chance to rest their legs while another explores further. More so outside of JazzFest or Mardi Gras. But I would hesitate to actually say you can't-miss-it, if even to wonder if the locals don't actually find it a bit corny.

If you get FYI network, somehow or other, the Fung Bros have a mildly interesting series all about eating for less than $50 a day in various cities. I think, so far, they've covered a good number of southern cities like LA, San Diego (CA), Santa Fe, (NM), Denver (CO), Fort Worth (TX), New Orleans (LA), Atlanta (GA), Tampa (FL), Asheville(NC), Charleston (SC), etc..
TE]
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
ecogeek

Dr Feelgood - LAX will be my starting point for the trip. I have been to LA a million times and will certainly check out Manuels, thanks!

Yakatori - I don't have a designated route but will be all over the map for various points of interest and am the type that would travel hours out of my way for a good recommendation. I like driving. I'm thinking two months or so for the trip. Will see. Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out the series.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Just a footnote to Yakatori's post: Cafe du Monde is famous for its beignets (sort of like doughnuts, but incredibly light) and coffee. The coffee is flavored with chicory because, during the Civil War, the North blockaded the port of New Orleans and only a few blockade runners could get through ... with coffee. The Southerners roasted and ground chicory root and used it as a filler to extend their coffee supplies. In New Orleans, they liked it that way and kept on mixing their coffee with chicory (I like it that way, too: I order a half dozen cans of coffee from Cafe du Monde every month). The absolute best time to have coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde is at sunrise, after a night of hitting the jazz clubs!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

if you are in charlotte i would suggest

-lupie's cafe on monroe road. it is the picture of dive. the inside is mismatched tables and memorabilia on the walls. it is clean and the food is amazing!!! everything i have ever had there was delish. make sure to try the mac and cheese. also offer a veggie plate combo.

-pinky's on morehead. this is a very quirky little place over past the stadium. i have been here several times. it is small so be prepared to wait for a seat. the food is outstanding though and worth the wait. i can highly recommend the burger and fresh waffle fries.

-if you want soul food i would try either lola's over by the convention center (you order in line then go take and sit at tables). i used to go here regularly for breakfast and lunch when i worked uptown. if you want to be waited on, i would try mert's-also uptown. both of these places have outstanding soul food.

if you are elsewhere in greater charlotte area i can also recommend

-the olde hickory station. normally this would not make my list. it is a bit pricey and they put bacon in their hamburger grind, so i can't even have my favorite food, burgers, there (i dont eat pork). BUT that said, hub took me here for a date. it is the old train station of hickory. all beautiful wood inside. i can honestly say i had the best chicken sandwich there i have ever eaten. it was grilled chicken with balsamic soaked sweet onions, spinach and some sort of mayo on toasted homemade bread. DELISH!

-park road soda shoppe in kannapolis nc. there is one of these down in charlotte as well, but i like the one in kannapolis better. it is SUPER CLEAN, it has a fun 50ish theme and the food is all homemade. they had an amazing hamburger and the mac and cheese was delish

-pizza spiga in matthews. this is a basic pizza/italian place but they have the best eggplant parm in the charlotte area.

good luck with your trip!
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote