Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #426
MsChubbyBunny
MsChubbyBunny<3

MsChubbyBunny has said some nice things

I have a lot of issues with the BMI system, which mine is 42.0 because I am 5'3 and weigh 237 pounds, because no where in the system does it account for muscle mass, it just assumes you weigh more because you are fat. Not that I'm not fat, because I am, but me and a 188 pound girl at work wear the same size jeans- the only way that's possible is if I have more muscle mass and carry my weight differently. So I think the BMI system could be improved upon
MsChubbyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #427
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChubbyBunny View Post
I have a lot of issues with the BMI system, which mine is 42.0 because I am 5'3 and weigh 237 pounds, because no where in the system does it account for muscle mass, it just assumes you weigh more because you are fat. Not that I'm not fat, because I am, but me and a 188 pound girl at work wear the same size jeans- the only way that's possible is if I have more muscle mass and carry my weight differently. So I think the BMI system could be improved upon
First of all, welcome to Dimensions (or to posting on Dimensions if you were lurking before. Or at least to posting under this user name if you formerly used a different one)

Second, BMI, yah, it is pretty terrible – but it is better than gauging only by weight. But it is about like going from “we’ll treat everything as if it is a square” to “we now can accept that things may be rectangles!” Sure it might be a step forward, but it is still a pretty bad model for reality.

The thing about BMI is that with grade five math you can calculate it by hand, and need only know height and weight. It doesn’t accurately scale for height and doesn’t take any account of build, muscle mass, etc. But it is pretty easy. Anything which is noticeably more accurate is a lot harder to get the data for or to calculate.

In all honesty a decent doctor – or most any FA – can probably make a better assessment of how fat you are by looking at you, but that doesn’t come with numbers and categories and all that stuff. So for all its flaws, the BMI scale sticks around.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #428
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
The BMI thing.. eh... it is good only if you use it as a estimating tool and not a definitive one. And yes, you can wear the same size as someone that is 188 lbs, but is she thick? taller? is she athletic? does she carry weight in her hips, thighs, upper body, stomach? all that matters in terms of clothing.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #429
MsChubbyBunny
MsChubbyBunny<3

MsChubbyBunny has said some nice things

Shes thick, same height, not athletic, carries weight in roughly the same way I do
MsChubbyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #430
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I agree completely. BMI ignores bone density and muscle mass. I'm 5'7" and 170, very fit and athletic. I'm big in the chest and shoulders, and have strongly built legs. Nobody would describe me as "overweight" if they took one look at me. But at my height and weight my BMI is 26.6, solidly overweight. It's a laughable metric and why I generally reject the degree to which people state Americas are overweight or obese.

BFP...now that's a useful metric to help give an idea of one's general health or fitness level.
happily_married is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #431
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily_married View Post

BFP...now that's a useful metric to help give an idea of one's general health or fitness level.
BFP? (i.e. what does it stand for?)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #432
happily_married

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
BFP? (i.e. what does it stand for?)
Body fat percentage. I can stay at 16-17% pretty easily. I have to work a little harder to be in the 14-15% range.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #433
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Body fat percentage. I can stay at 16-17% pretty easily. I have to work a little harder to be in the 14-15% range.
Not something that most people can get measure accurately (which takes an immersion tank, I think?) although I know there are various formula for using other things (electrical resistance is one method I think, and I think there are skin pinch caliper methods ... ) I think it is a great metric (and I'd love to know how high mine is ) but seems like a harder number to get?

Or is there some much simpler method developed by now?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #434
happily_married

^ it is harder. Water immersion was the gold standard for a long time but a new method, a complete body scan, is emerging. Calipers and taping are other methods, but can be hard to measure consistently if not done precisely. And taking is a throw away method. I don't put any stock into that method any more than I put stock into BMI.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #435
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
my BMI is 26.6, solidly overweight. It's a laughable metric and why I generally reject the degree to which people state Americas are overweight or obese.
The classification of the BMI range of 25-30 as 'overweight' is nothing but a tool for fat shaming millions of people and fueling a misguided obesity hysteria to generate billions for the health industry.

There is no consistent evidence whatsoever that there are health risks associated with a person being in this BMI range if you rule out all other life-style and genetic make-up factors (i.e. tendency towards diabetes or high cholesterol in the immediate family history, etc.).

On the contrary, there are a significant number of studies that show people in this weight range have the best survival rates after severe illness or surgery.

Only > BMI 35 - and then mostly in combination with an inactive life-style - can you find scientifically half-way sound surveys that show some correlation between health and weight. And again - this doesn't necessarily apply to everybody. Every body literally is very different, responds differently to any given situation.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #436
becomingoverweight

becomingoverweight has said some nice things

My BMI is 26.7.
becomingoverweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #437
balletguy

balletguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging inballetguy makes people happy simply by logging in

31.....not too great
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #438
Tubbyduck
Quack! I mean hello. :P

Tubbyduck has said some nice things

42.6 Is mine. I'd like it to be 40. But I'm okay with this.
Tubbyduck is offline   Reply With Quote