Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #126
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
INTJ apparently. Though some of those questions were vague the the point of absurdity.

Introvert(16%) iNtuitive(41%) Thinking(1%) Judging(6%)

You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (16%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (6%)

---

iNtuitive
....you can't just take the second letter of a word to make an acronym!! THATS CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They didn't want two different "I" letters in their options!

And that about lines up with what I expected you'd be (right down to not being able to make a call on thinking vs feeling). Not that I'm some perfect judge of these things, just saying that it sounds to me like the test had it about right.

Although the more interesting part is reading about your type, at least IMO. For most people they end up laughing in places, going "yep, that's me!"

From Keirsey, here is their version of INTP: mastermind http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/mastermind.asp

and INFP, Counselor http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/counselor.asp

You can read, and decide if you think one is a closer match than the other. (recalling that these are really made up categories, dividing people into boxes for the sake of matching a theory, then describing what people in each box seem to be like. The OCEAN/CANOE/'big-5' personality categories seem to have more real validity, but they just aren't as much fun).
Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #127
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thought I ought to do this test again and see how things change with time!

INFJ
Introvert(59%) iNtuitive(12%) Feeling(3%) Judging(44%)
You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (59%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have marginal or no preference of Feeling over Thinking (3%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

...wow, the most noticeable thing to me is how much more extraverted I've become as I started feeling better. I mean, sure, I am still a lot more introverted than most people but before I was practically 100-0 on that scale and now it is much more balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
You can read, and decide if you think one is a closer match than the other. (recalling that these are really made up categories, dividing people into boxes for the sake of matching a theory, then describing what people in each box seem to be like. The OCEAN/CANOE/'big-5' personality categories seem to have more real validity, but they just aren't as much fun).
Oddly enough, when I tried the OCEAN one I found it pretty much completely wrong on all the traits. Also, there is a distinct 'this is good and this is bad' vibe to the results which I really, really don't like.

I have to say, I'm kinda curious as to what you expected me to get, since you guessed Xyantha's! =p Maybe we should do a 'Tad guesses your results' thread!
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #128
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

INTP
Introvert(69%) iNtuitive(19%) Thinking(59%) Perceiving(9%)
You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (69%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (19%)
You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (59%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (9%)

Mine ends in TP... Tee hee hee
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #129
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I thought about Xyantha's because she posted that she hadn't done this test, and was thinking about it. I have not thought about most peoples, including yours, sorry!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #130
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I thought about Xyantha's because she posted that she hadn't done this test, and was thinking about it. I have not thought about most peoples, including yours, sorry!
If you mean me I wasn't really expecting you to, I just posted to post.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #131
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Thought I ought to do this test again and see how things change with time!

INFJ
Introvert(59%) iNtuitive(12%) Feeling(3%) Judging(44%)
You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (59%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have marginal or no preference of Feeling over Thinking (3%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

...wow, the most noticeable thing to me is how much more extraverted I've become as I started feeling better. I mean, sure, I am still a lot more introverted than most people but before I was practically 100-0 on that scale and now it is much more balanced.

Oddly enough, when I tried the OCEAN one I found it pretty much completely wrong on all the traits. Also, there is a distinct 'this is good and this is bad' vibe to the results which I really, really don't like.
Ha, another INFJ! We need to make a group or something . I've taken that test about 4 times now, and it's typically always more or less the same. I have felt more confident lately though so I'm wondering if my percentages might have changed a bit as well.

And if the Ocean test is the one I'm thinking of, I totally share in your feelings about it. I think I remember one of my "traits" being that I was "damaged at the core" or something equally offensive. I mean, I'm not against criticism or anything but christ...
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #132
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Its because i am so obnoxious (ahhh, that explains her...)

Btw the mastermind is totally me, good and bad. I think i have more empathy, but my fundamental values are captured there...especially at work!
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #133
kittymahlberg

kittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot pics

"INFJ – You are eternally damned to working for a morally corrupt company that aims to exploit the weak and generally degrade conditions for all of society."

So, my hell would definitely involve becoming in-house counsel. *shudder*

I think INFJ hell needs more unwanted social interaction, though. With beer-chugging frat boys. Lots of frat boys.
kittymahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #134
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Entj .

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #135
Tubbyduck
Quack! I mean hello. :P

Tubbyduck has said some nice things

INTJ here.
Tubbyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #136
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
They're not 'made up categories' - that's a misunderstanding of the basic purpose of the Myers-Briggs personality types. The M-B types are not about categorising personalities - they're about categorising how people interact with one another, so that we can understand why we 'just can't get along' with certain people, and others seem to be 'a good fit'. The types were also created to analyze why certain groups and teams work together, and others fall apart - or have a lot of fun and yet have no useful output.

M-B doesn't categorise me - it does explain why I get along with my wife (and accuately forecasts our friction points), and why I was once in a work team where lots of planning took place but no project emerged - and why another team I was in had a project up and running in no time. Interactions - that's what it's all about.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #137
Tad
mostly harmless

I love the Myers-Briggs categories (and what Keirsey layered on top of them). I've found them useful in understanding myself, others, and how we interact. Heck, I subscribe to the Keirsey e-magazine. I find it a very effective tool that I use regularly.

But having read a bit about the development of both M-B and OCEAN, I'd say that at the very least in relative terms, M-B was made up from a mix of theory and intuition .... and they managed to gather enough data and come up with a good enough classification tool to turn it into something quite useful.

I'm just not convinced that saying the interaction of INTJ with ESTP will tend to be such-and-such has much more valid underpinnings than saying that the interaction of someone with sanguine humor with someone of choleric humor will be so-and-so. Both observations may be correct and useful, in a practical sense.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #138
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I appreciate tools like this, but I am also very aware that my own perception of its accuracy is based on my own views about how I think of myself and others. Just like we are biased to like people who think and act like we do, I think we are biased towards tools that tell us things we want to hear about ourselves and others. Because if we all said 'well that isn't true'...it would have no validity. It is because we hear things we like that we agree on it's usage.

I personally find that learning about people's history is far compelling and is more accurate to predict their moods and behaviours (it is more telling than a sweeping test). Past actions indicate decision making processes, goals, personality. And those are the indicators which I personally find more accurate at predicting future behaviour. For example, my boss told me a story about how before going corporate, he worked in a suit store. And because he thought he would need it, he bought 16 pairs of suits and like 16K. And then got a job where it was business casual. To me, that story tells me so, so much about his planning and judgement capabilities, as well as him getting so wound up in his own world that he makes shitty decisions. Even bankers only have a handful of suits. So, when he repeats those same mental tracks, I am not surprised afresh each time...because his behaviour is actually consistent.

And that assumes that we are still operating under the assumption that each end of the 'spectrum' is valid (ie introversion vs extroversion)
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #139
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
I appreciate tools like this, but I am also very aware that my own perception of its accuracy is based on my own views about how I think of myself and others. ...

I personally find that learning about people's history is far compelling and is more accurate to predict their moods and behaviours (it is more telling than a sweeping test). Past actions indicate decision making processes, ...
That's an interesting point and observation, and very, very useful for predicting how other people will act - and a good complement to M-B, which is not about how others will act, but how people interact with each other.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #140
fat hiker

Quote:
I love the Myers-Briggs categories (and what Keirsey layered on top of them). I've found them useful in understanding myself, others, and how we interact. Heck, I subscribe to the Keirsey e-magazine. I find it a very effective tool that I use regularly.

But having read a bit about the development of both M-B and OCEAN, I'd say that at the very least in relative terms, M-B was made up from a mix of theory and intuition .... and they managed to gather enough data and come up with a good enough classification tool to turn it into something quite useful.

I'm just not convinced that saying the interaction of INTJ with ESTP will tend to be such-and-such has much more valid underpinnings than saying that the interaction of someone with sanguine humor with someone of choleric humor will be so-and-so. Both observations may be correct and useful, in a practical sense.
Basing a new hypothesis on a mix of theory and intuition isn't a bad place to start from - much of modern psychology and education has such underpinnings. What makes it useful is that people then apply the scientific method to the new hypothesis - use it, note the effects and errors, refine the hypothesis, try and apply it again. Psychology isn't a 'hard' or numerical science like chemistry or engineering, but it does have its own useful place, and good application of the scientific method.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #141
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

I find the summaries for my type (INTP) scary accurate.

Quote:
overriding desire to observe from a detached position,
Yup

Quote:
the most difficult aspect (for others) of the INTP, namely stubbornness. If an INTP is pushed into doing something he will automatically resist. ... best way to get an INTP to do something is to suggest the idea as an option and let him sleep on it. Ultimately, the INTP must always believe that it is his decision. Once he is satisfied that the decision was independently reached, then he is content.
Ohh yeah. I'm bad with this. Really bad. I can be led but not pushed.

Quote:
Taking things out of context is the chief source of humour and many an INTP is a Monty Pythonite.... the humour of an INTP can be pretty zany and warped and may not be understood easily by others. ... Hence, the humour can become black and tactless, having felt little Feeling input.
Yes. Python, sick sense of humor, often jokes I make are too internally referenced to mean much to others.

Quote:
People can be a problem for INTPs: on the one hand they are fascinated by some types of people, especially more extraverted individuals, but a fear of irrational behaviour in others usually leads to caution. ... INTPs dislike making the first move and tend to mirror the emotional content of the other person.
Very much me, I do find some extraverts interesting and I hate talking to someone I don't know without having some context of how they tend to interact.

Quote:
where friendship develops rapidly, almost instantly, is when an INTP meets another INTP or similar temperament. Communication between such people can become extremely intense, leaving outsiders baffled.... All forms of social graces and host-guest protocols become irrelevant. Both want only to share concepts and interests and absorb the intellectual stimulation of the other. Interruption of this process by any social necessity is undesired and annoying.
Only had this happen once, but it was veey intense and fast. Not an INTP though, they were one letter off but still similar personality.

Quote:
oblivious to external details unless something forces them to take notice. When an INTP goes into a new room, or walks through a city street, he is blind to much of the detail that people with an Se function would see immediately. ... And those objects he does happen to notice will belong to a small set of things that he is interested in anyway. Many other objects would only be noticed if another person points them out to him.
By default I only notice objects and people that fit my interests. 100 percent me.

Quote:
his home is usually spartan and utility-oriented. There will be little or no decorative objects, electronic equipment will be in abundance and the importance of any object will depend only on its usefulness. ... When an object is put aside, not to be returned to for a while, it will lie fully ignored until used again. Objects which lie unmoved for more than about 48 hours usually become invisible to the INTP, until such time as he has a use for them again. ... Corners of rooms, table tops and cupboards may become cluttered with objects, but while they don't move they remain effectively invisible and are unimportant.
Bahaha the ONLY decorative item I own is a zombie garden gnome, bought while drunk shopping. Not a single picture on my walls, no nick knacks, I had a plant for a while but it died. And yes surfaces, corners, cupboards are cluttered so badly and I just don't notice the stuff is there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #142
Tad
mostly harmless

Where were that description from? (it is one I've not read before, although as an INTP I do recognize it exactly!).

I try to restrain my 'sense of humor' on here because not everything comes across well in print, but my family well knows the pain of someone who can't resist taking any given word out of context and riffing off of that. And don't ask my wife about how many things are invisible to me ....
Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #143
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Where were that description from? (it is one I've not read before, although as an INTP I do recognize it exactly!).

I try to restrain my 'sense of humor' on here because not everything comes across well in print, but my family well knows the pain of someone who can't resist taking any given word out of context and riffing off of that. And don't ask my wife about how many things are invisible to me ....
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

Also Tad feel free to join in on the INTP master plan(s):
Quote:
of their work:
Strategy #1:
1 Form a collective supermind.
2 Kill the INTJs.
3 Upgrade our organic bodies with technological enhancements so that we become a race of cybernetic lifeforms.
4 Choose an organizer or “queen” to oversee the supermind and prevent internal squabbling over theories and definitions.
5 Upgrade the other types to add to our perfection. (They will try to stop us, but—ha!—we already know all the tricks.)
Strategy #2:
2 Kill the INTJs.
3 Build a robot host body for the supermind (for example, a spiderlike creature) that is capable of self replication.
4 Destroy all inferior organic life with unstoppable waves of technospiders.
Strategy #3:
2 Kill the INTJs.
3 Build a bomb that will destroy the universe and tell the other types that we will only give them the deactivation code if they solve our mind-bogglingly complex riddles before the timer ticks down to zero. Then sit back and laugh.
Strategy #4:
2 Kill the INTJs.
3 Design a really fun MMO.
4 Procrastinate the tedious work of universal domination until the universe collapses on itself and it doesn't matter anymore.
http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/intp_survival

Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #144
Tad
mostly harmless

So, actually I'm married to an INTJ and rather fond of her the vast majority of the time, so I may have a beef with my brethren's plan! Although, the really fun MMO sounds appealing ...
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #145
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
So, actually I'm married to an INTJ and rather fond of her the vast majority of the time, so I may have a beef with my brethren's plan! Although, the really fun MMO sounds appealing ...
Sorry Tad, it's unavoidable. See below for the explanation:

Quote:
Perhaps you are wondering why it was thought necessary to kill all the INTJs. The INTP's explanation was as follows: "In the first place, they represent potential competition in the race to become the world's first cybernetic superpower. In the second place, the little smirk they always have when they manage to outdo us is just annoying. In the third place, their orderliness and punctuality make us look bad. No, the INTJs must definitely go. We don't want them destroying the supermind in one of their mad experiments, either."
Old 12-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #146
Tad
mostly harmless

Ah, see, I just accept that they are far more apt to make a plan actually work ....

Reading through the one essay, this part really rung true for me:
Quote:
When he visits a place, whether new or already known, his Si function gives an overriding concern for the atmosphere or mood of the place.In his subconscious, he connects the present experiences of his surroundings with memories of his past, sometimes deep past. A sense of history, of universality, is almost always invoked. When on holiday, the INTP wants to experience above all the ambience of each location. Specific details in the present are relatively unimportant and will not be well remembered. However, the atmosphere or mood will be remembered long after, as though it were a solid object.
Good to know I'm not the only one to experience trips that way -- mostly when I talk about vacations with people, I get puzzled looks.