Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
bubba350

bubba350 has said some nice things

Try the Fiat 500L rommy teloscoping steering wheel just the right height.Higher driver postion.Kinda like Dr. Who's tardis bigger on the inside than the outside.
bubba350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Versa's are soooo comfy! I like how they drive too.

I just bought a new Mitsubishi Mirage and it's super comfy as well. But the driver's seatbelt was tight so I bought a seat belt extender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Rose View Post
I've got a rental this week because both of the cars in my family died in the space of a weekend, and I'm really rather surprised by how roomy it is! They set me up with a 2015 Nissan Versa, it's a tiny little thing but the interior's HUGE. At least, it feels that way to me compared to my 2006 Outback!

Your mileage my vary of course, and I'm pretty small compared to some, but it might be worth checking out.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #28
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep

I went to Melbourne last week for a holiday and had a car rental lined up there. At major airports in the US you can go sit in cars and choose one you like, unfortunately not the case here. I rented a small SUV and did not fit at all, then asked to change to something different, the guy took like 30m to process the papers for another car, still no go. At this point I was frustrated, tired from the flight, it was 1am. I just asked if I could try a few cars and he said he did not have any others. I didn't really have any other options as the other rental places were closed, was about in tears and magically he found me a Ford Kuga. It was much better and made my week in Melbourne pretty awesome.
ecogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #29
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecogeek View Post

... he found me a Ford Kuga. It was much better and made my week in Melbourne pretty awesome.

AKA Ford Escape -- one of Ford's better efforts. The hybrid Ford C-Max is built on the same platform and is also roomy.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 AM   #30
ecogeek

ecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized repecogeek has super-sized rep

Ahh gotcha! Most cars seem to have different build names down in Australia. >.<
ecogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #31
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

If you like a small car, my Tyota Yaris (2012) seems to be pretty comfy for me... i'm at 320 and I haven't noticed any discomfort.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #32
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyButterfly80 View Post
If you like a small car, my Tyota Yaris (2012) seems to be pretty comfy for me... i'm at 320 and I haven't noticed any discomfort.
Agree. I rented a Yaris when visiting my sister out of state in 2013. Plenty of room.

I have a strange "theory" that many minicompacts have enough room- because they know potential customers will carefully evaluate room when comparing their car to others.

I do remember that the 1988 Yugo GV claimed more rear seat headroom than the Lincoln Continental Luxury Sport Coupe (not the Town Car!)

One criticism of the Yaris: I found it hard to get a good side view when merging onto the 494.

Last edited by RabbitScorpion; 09-14-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: corrected year 1988
RabbitScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #33
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitScorpion View Post
Agree. I rented a Yaris when visiting my sister out of state in 2013. Plenty of room.

I have a strange "theory" that many minicompacts have enough room- because they know potential customers will carefully evaluate room when comparing their car to others.

I do remember that the 1988 Yugo GV claimed more rear seat headroom than the Lincoln Continental Luxury Sport Coupe (not the Town Car!)

One criticism of the Yaris: I found it hard to get a good side view when merging onto the 494.
yeah... i feel like if you are gonna have a mini car.. they gotta make it comfy and roomy..otherwise.. who's gonna buy that!? LOL
Old 12-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #34
missourifat

missourifat has said some nice things
Default Photography and meaurements

It might be a good idea, when trying out a car, would be to have a friend go along with a digital camera, to take photographs of the BBP seated in the car in different positions. This would show how a person looks seated, and what parts of the body might overhang the seat, which might cause problems during long drives.
Searching I found Survey of Auto seat design recommentations for improved
comfort by mathew reed April 2000. I couldn't get the link to show up, but it does seem to show the diagrams for measurements of your body to find a seat that would fit.
Missourifat
missourifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #35
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Have to remember to compare apples to apples -- many times cars change considerably from year to year but keep the same name. My first generation Volvo V70 and my wife's second generation V70 are totally different cars. While in many respects my wife's newer version is the superior car my older version is easier to get in and out of and has more room for long legs and large feet (neither car is a good choice for people with wide hips).

Also, try to avoid cars with history of mechanical problems. There are internet forums for many brands and models. My wife's former car, a 2003 Ford Taurus, was a complete piece of shit (well documented if we had bothered to look it up). We spent thousands of dollars keeping that dog on the road (inc. two engines and three transmissions). The car was very roomy -- my wife weighed 500 pound when she bought it and it was one of the few cars that fit. In retrospect she should have kept looking.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #36
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default ^Thing is....

People have widely disparate measures of reliability. Hence, with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, plenty of people naturally figure something like "Well, if it's solid for 100k, then that's good enough."

Meanwhile, for certain makes and models, not so uncommon to see people take them to double that mileage and well-beyond.

A larger, heavier person, of course, will tend to put a bit more wear on the interior. But it's not like you can't replace a good deal of that stuff for a fraction of the cost of a whole new car. It's just that, beyond the 100k mark, who really cares so much about what the interior of the car looks like.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #37
Skye23

Skye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSkye23 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm fond of all 3 of my Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - retired police cruisers). I'm about 5'3" and 300lbs (fun sized!) and I fit in them just fine. Front seat, back seat, driving - the seatbelts fit etc. The 2001 model is my car, I can just reach the gas pedal, hubby's got a 2004 we're about to give to my parents and he's about 5'10" and 250+lb and the 2011 we just got is great, even roomier. They'd probably fit someone much larger then I am because I have really short legs and have to really move the seat up to reach the gas, if you had longer legs you'd have a lot more room for the belly.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #38
bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
People have widely disparate measures of reliability. Hence, with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, plenty of people naturally figure something like "Well, if it's solid for 100k, then that's good enough."

Yes, and expectations have changed over time. When I was a kid people made a big deal of cars making it to 100K (our 1969 Dodge Dart made it to 204K and everyone thought that was amazing).

Today the more reliable cars routinely go 250 to 300K. The most reliable of today's cars required little more than oil changes, and new brake pads and tires to go over 250K (i.e. Toyota Corollas -- at least those with timing chains rather than belts). Other cars need to be pampered a bit more (i.e. my Volvo V70 has 285K but its on its third timing belt which have to be changed routinely to avoid engine failure).

There are also cars that seldom make it past 150K no matter how pampered. My five cylinder naturally aspirated Volvo with four speed automatic has been very reliable, however, models with more powerful turbos and six cylinder engines equipped with similar four speed automatics have be plagued with car killing transmission problems. Bottom line -- do your research. The are internet forums for many makes -- these are a good place to start.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 AM   #39
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Being around 400lbs at just under 5 foot 3, I always feel it important to report on here any time I have a comfortable passenger experience in a car. My son has an old Honda Civic and though he loves it and it's very reliable, I just find it very "saggy" to sit in and have to haul myself out, lifting my legs over a high side part at the door. He also gets quite ratty as he says my right knee is constantly in his way when he is moving the gear stick - I find it very difficult to position myself so this doesn't happen. Three weeks ago, I was given a ride in my son's gf's dad's car - a Nissan Qashqai. I haven't been so comfy in a car since I was in a Toyota Rav 4. This car was perfect to get in and out of, no ducking or climbing up out of it, just a straight in and out. No high lip to step over to get in. Lots of room to adjust yourself and get comfortable. VERY comfortable seat that almost cuddles you (though it would be better a little wider for that cuddle!). The best bit of all was that the seatbelt smoothly clipped in place without strapping me tightly to the seat, hurray! Though I am relatively short, I have a padded posterior so I sit very high on chairs and in car seats, so I need a decent ceiling height. This was not a problem in the Qashqai. Not sure if this model is even in the US, but could be handy knowledge for holiday car hire. Oh and my knee was nowhere near the gearstick, so no getting in the way. Lots of footwell and thigh space, so very comfortable option for a long journey.

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 01-03-2016 at 04:00 AM. Reason: To add info.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #40
bigmac

The Qashqai is not offered in North American markets. Instead, Nissan offers the Nissan Rogue. Although larger and appearing to be a completely different model it is based on the same basic platform as the Qashqai / Xtrail with some visual similarities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan...#North_America
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #41
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm 5'10 and 237 pounds that drives a 2007 Mercury Mariner. It's alright but it is not the best for larger due to the center console taking a lot of room.
Iannathedriveress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #42
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The Qashqai is not offered in North American markets. Instead, Nissan offers the Nissan Rogue. Although larger and appearing to be a completely different model it is based on the same basic platform as the Qashqai / Xtrail with some visual similarities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan...#North_America
Ah thanks for that info!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #43
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

My wife and I got a 2013 Kia Sportage LX a couple of months ago and it is very roomy. I am 6'2" & 350 and my wife is 5'6" and just over 300 (large tummy). We have zero issues with it. The back seat is so roomy that my 15 year old son (5'10" & 270) can sit behind me with plenty of room. And it gets an average of 28 MPG in mixed driving (much higher than the EPA estimates.)
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #44
PolarKat
Digital Sun tanning

PolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this boardPolarKat carries a lot of weight on this board

Since I happened to recently drive these, I'll add the Dodge Magnum, and Challenger.. seriously roomy cars for the driver..

My daily drive is a Jeep TJ, but I had to build brackets to move the driver seat back a few inches..
PolarKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #45
luvhips

luvhips can now change their title

Go to a good car upholstery shop and I'm sure they can do some interior work to make your car more comfortable.
luvhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #46
missourifat

missourifat has said some nice things
Default Automobile sizing parties

I haven't been to any of the BBP dances and other social functions in a long time. I was reading about preferences in cars.
What about adding an automobile seat party? It could be set up for those who volunteer park their cars in one spot. Then they could let others sit in the drivers seat to see how they fit. It would save having to drive to different automobile dealerships all over.
missourifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #47
bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourifat View Post
I haven't been to any of the BBP dances and other social functions in a long time. I was reading about preferences in cars.
What about adding an automobile seat party? It could be set up for those who volunteer park their cars in one spot. Then they could let others sit in the drivers seat to see how they fit. It would save having to drive to different automobile dealerships all over.
Some used car dealerships are huge (CarMax comes to mind). http://www.carmax.com/enus/locations/default.html You can go to one of these places and sit in scores of cars (and then piss off the sales people by buying on Craigslist).
Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #48
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I had a Versa as a loner car for a few weeks around Christmas while my SUV was getting worked on and its surprisingly roomy
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #49
BigJibbie

BigJibbie can now change their title

I have a Suzuki Ertiga and it has much roon for me and my friends and family.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #50
bigmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJibbie View Post
I have a Suzuki Ertiga and it has much roon for me and my friends and family.
This MPV was never available in the USA. Indeed Suzuki stopped selling cars and SUVs in the USA at the end of 2012.

That said used Suzuki's are still available and are good inexpensive choices. The Suzuki SX4 is roomy and very reliable subcompact.