Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Quality non-stick frying pans?

While we have a cast iron frying pan that gets used a lot, some things do do more nicely on a non-stick pan. But.... they never seem to hold up.

We've had ones where the coating started flaking off. So at the end of last year I bought a 'stoneware' non-stick pan, which now looks like the attached picture. It isn't from stuff being burned on heavily or the pan being over-heated, it just doesn't seem to clean off easily.

Anyone have a non-stick pan that they find works well, and holds up well? What is the treatment and/or where did you get it? (in particular, anyone used a Creuset style ceramic coated pan? If so, how do you find it? We have pots of that type that we like, but I'm not so sure how it would be for a frying pan)
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My experience with non-stick frying pans has generally been similar to yours. However, a couple of years back we bought a 2-quart saucepan by Wear Ever, and I use it for everything -- including sauteing, just as if it were a frying pan. It looks like new and has never presented a cleaning problem. I should probably go ahead and buy one of their frying pans, but ... my saucepan works so well, why spend the money?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have this kind of cast iron pan because i was going theough nonstick about once every three months.

Pros of cast iron:
- doubles as a weapon
- it is honestly an heirloom item. It will last a lifetime.
- if you burn the crap out of it, you can just scrub it clean
- cooks almost anything
- can cook at high temps
- cleans up so, so easily

Cons if cast iron
- costs like 200-300 bucks
- the only thing is does not cook well IMO is eggs.
- handle gets hot so you have to be careful
- clean freaks like my hubby clean it when they arent supposed to. You are supposed to let the grease cook into it over time (even so its doing good tho)
- coloured part can "look" a little dirty over time

The only non stick ceramic one i have liked has been zwilling.

I got both at the bay.
Xyantha Reborn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #4
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Note: that odd colour inside is because the hubby keeps putting it in the dishwasher. A rinse of water and some grease and it looks like new.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Have you shown him online the instructions to only clean it with water? Preheating the cast iron is heat sterilization.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4102093.html
Old 10-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

I know. He knows. But that doesn't stop his OCD from kicking in.

But hey - the pan itself is doing well in SPITE of his ministrations!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

once, many moons ago, i was in one of those buy out discount stores...i want to say it was a big lots. i happened to find a buy out of stainless steel pots/pans. the upper part and handle were stainless steel. the base was a heavy aluminum sort of disk. the frying pan i bought worked wonders. i could use at high heat without burning it and when you put just a bit of oil in the bottom nothing stuck. it cleaned up nice. i also bought a mid sized pot for making noodles or frying items in. the frying pan did eventually get thrown out because the handle got loose and it was a hazard...but i had that thing for like 10 years. i still have the mid sized pot. it still works like a champ. my daughter just packed it in her college stuff to take to make ramen or fry stuff in. i will have to see if it accessible to see if i can get a pic for you. i would highly recommend a stainless steel pan!
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Frying pans....

Dims, what's happened to you? Haha
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have used my sister's Le Creuset frying pan and I have to say I hate it. I hate that fried eggs stick like glue to the bottom, no matter how much or little oil you use and even more, I hate the weight. The pan is obviously heavy due to being cast iron, but added to this, the pan has a very long handle, so lifting it up is like a weight training exercise. I love Le Creuset and wouldn't part with my large casserole pan for the world, but I wouldnt use one of the frying pans if I was paid.

I like non stick pans but am concerned by the news that teflon is very poisonous if ingested. I bought myself a Tefal "Intensium" stir fry pan and frying pan when my old Tefal pans were about ten years old and no longer nonstick. I love these ones. The Intensium coating is absolutely excellent. It feels totally different to the usual teflon coating, it almost feels "baked on", I can't describe it really. Ive had them both two years now and I can honestly say there isn't even one mark on the inside base of either. If you are in a shop that sells these, have a feel and you will see what I mean. I highly recommend them
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:40 AM   #10
Orchid

Orchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this boardOrchid carries a lot of weight on this board

I tried different brands of non-stick pans over the years and none last longer than 2 to 3 years. I use mostly wooden spoons, hardened heat-proof plastic occassional fork. I have been in my kitchen almost 35 years stopped counting how many pans skillets frying pans I bought. The pan sets I usually bought if it was on sale those lasted like 7 years.
Cat iron no cast-iron is way too heavy for my osteoarthritis.
The quality of new kitchen items is no good. Items from the fifties where life-time quality.
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

here is a pic of the type of pan i spoke of. this particular one is Cuisinart. you put a bit of oil in the bottom and anything cooks without sticking. the good part is no teflon so you can use over high heat without worry of flaking teflon or chemical reactions.

pan.JPG
luvmybhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
cinnamitch
nope

cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!cinnamitch keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
here is a pic of the type of pan i spoke of. this particular one is Cuisinart. you put a bit of oil in the bottom and anything cooks without sticking. the good part is no teflon so you can use over high heat without worry of flaking teflon or chemical reactions.

Attachment 123105
I have the set of those pots and pans
cinnamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default What am I doing down here??? Please show me the door!

This is a great section of Dims and a great thread. It seems inhabited by REAL cooks, which I am not. A dilettante, maybe, but one with quite a bit of experience in certain areas.

I knew that Mrs Ho Ho had tossed most of our non-stick pans and looked to see what remained. It is Swiss Diamond. The pan does seem quite durable but I'm not sure how long we have had it. (I checked with Mrs Ho Ho. We have had it about a year and she has used it two or three times. It's OK but not much of a test.) I did a bit of investigating and found this website:

Consumer fraud alert: Swiss Diamond non-stick cookware made with same chemical as Teflon

Written by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

I never heard of him. Snopes doesn't exactly express an opinion but lists a number of articles by the same author that (IMHO) smack of fruitloopery. I have no reason to lend him any more credibility than the seemingly durable surface of our Swiss Diamond pan.

Since living on my own in MA for four years, I have acquired quite a fleet of All-Clad stainless steel pots and pans, including a number of sauce pans, pressure cookers, and - the Queen of the Fleet - a 12-qt. stainless steel stock pot. Hundreds of soups and chilis have been made in this pot. I have given at least a dozen of them to friends as wedding gifts, usually with some of my favorite recipes tucked inside. It is a bit like bringing a cast iron stove, already fired up, to their cabin - a heart gift.

We have never tried an All-Clad frying pan.

I have purchased most of these from Cookware 'n More. Most of what they have are 'seconds' with barely perceptable 'dings' in them. They have been very gracious in 'cherry-picking' when I tell them it will be a wedding gift.

They do carry the Swiss Diamond line also. I doubt if these are as bad as the earlier review states. I think that Cookware 'n More does have a reputation to preserve.

I can't help but add this blurb from their website:

"Swiss Diamond Swiss Diamond is made with a coating reinforced with real diamonds to create a long-lasting, naturally nonstick surface with superior heat conduction. These pans have a thick, perfectly flat base for stability and even heating with no hot spots as well as a cast aluminum body that will never warp. They are eco-friendly: made with 100% hydroelectric power from the Swiss Alps, PFOA-free production, and have recyclable aluminum bodies. Oven safe up to 500 degrees."

Despite the 100% hydroelectric power, I can't say I've noticed any difference.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default addendum

We went to one of the periodic food sampling events at Kowalski's today - this one featuring Valentine's Day foods. The story also carries a line of cookware from Cook's of Crocus Hill. A woman from that store was demonstrating a French product - Mauviel. I know this product mostly from their copper cookware (elegant but too pricey for us). The frying pan she was demonstrating was made of 'carbon steel' - according to her, the same composition as cast iron (note: iron not the same as steel but I didn't pursue it.) The pan she was using looked well-used but clean enough for more cooking. She was frying something like a hot cake and offered us a sample. It was just fine.

I walked over to her demo booth rather skeptical but almost bought one. Mrs Ho Ho suggested that we give our Swiss Diamond a bit more time first.

I copy in this blurb from the Mauviel website:

"The collection M'steel is made of black steel (carbon steel) that has excellent heat conduction. The M'steel fry pan collection has the same concept as a cast iron fry pan - It's what the French Mama's use instead of cast iron."

M'Steel Round Fry Pan, Steel Handle

Item Size Capacity Price 3651.20 8 in
40.00 3651.24 9.5 in
60.00 On Sale 40.00 3651.28 11 in
70.00 3651.32 12.5 in
3651.36 14 in

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Neighbour bought me a bianco lagostina white ceramic pan.

New.favourite!

Eggs slide off it like butter!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
white ceramic pan.

New.favourite!
Good quality white ceramic is the best!

I have 2 - one Italian, one German - both fabulous still after 4-5 years in very regular use.

Reading Tad's original question though - part of the problem with many of the coatings is that in the end they can't stand extreme heat very well. Another reason why porcelain/ceramic is better because depending on blend it goes up to 800-1000 degrees.

For cooking things that get extremely hot - like caramelizing sugar - a cast iron, stainless steel or copper pan with no coating is still best.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #17
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Yes - cast iron hands doen for heat.

Eggs are always my bane though - and thus far it cleans off with only water, no scrubbing, no burns, and my eggs slip off sooo easily. I agree if you cooked at high temp it would probably ruin it!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

I want to replace my nonstick pans with something less suspect. Been reading the perils. Any suggestions of name brands and prices I can expect.

Also any grill pan experts on here? I have wanted one forever.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #19
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I bought my wife a new non stick type pan at Christmas, and so far so good, but I won't declare success until at least the end of this year. Brand was Ballini, and the finish was something - something 'granite' and is a speckled grey. It is a large pan, and was, IIRC, $50 on a good pre-Christmas sale.

We have a Creuset grill pan that works pretty well and cleans up pretty well. Takes a while to heat up because of how heavy it is, but that may come with the territory? We're certainly not grill pan experts, but we've been happy with it for several years now.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I got a cast iron griddle recently, the two burner kind. It's like 10"x14" or something. It works great although I see no purpose for the ridged side and only use the flat side. Grill marks look pretty I guess but a good seared crust from the flat side tastes way better. I don't know the brand but I got off Amazon and it had several hundred reviews and a 4.5 star rating. Sometimes I'll heat it in the oven for an hour before moving it to the stovetop to minimize the hot spots that form over the burners.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have a cast iron pan that you can buy in the US for 20-30$. It is super cheap and it works great. I switched about 15 years ago due to flaking and also because teflon is really not good for you. I love it and use it whenever I want to fry anything. It is also great because you can toss something in the oven to finish it off. It has lasted a long time. My mother's is over 40 years old and she still uses it. I don't recommend any of the current teflon pans as I have even seen friends buy expensive non stick pans that you can supposedly use metal utensils in go bad.

You do have to season the pan, usually the pan will come with instructions on how to season it properly.

The secret to cooking great eggs in a cast iron fry pan is to Pre heat it, add oil(I use butter), let the grease heat up(just slightly for butter until melted and starts to sizzle) and then add eggs and turn down heat so the eggs don't burn, on my gas stovetop a 6. If the pan gets too hot then the eggs are horrible.
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #22
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm not sure I could handle a cast iron pan. Might be too heavy
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #23
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

There are small and medium cast iron skillets that don't weigh more than a standard pan. Check out your local Walmart they probably carry them, so then you can check the weight and see if it is comfortable. My small one is pretty light weight, of course my largest one is very heavy and I need two hands.
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #24
Tad
mostly harmless

A couple of things with cast iron is that simmering things in them may cause you to have to re-season, and acidic foods can pick up a flavour that some people really notice (including my wife). We have a cast iron that we use for many things, but it is nice to also have a no-stick for other things.