Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Heh-heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan~Girl View Post
"..Is it just pure meat? With bits and bobs mixed in in a loaf shape? When I say that I can't help but think of the hovis ad's ...."
Well, it's not, at all, like the texture or taste of bread. Never heard of people putting bread in it til this thread.

It's just, basically, ground meat (typically beef), with some egg (as an emulsifier) and Worcestershire, onions, & ketchup, that makes for a kind of loaf that you can just bake or broil in a pan. Good with a mushroom gravy and/or a savory (ketchup/tomato or bbq-sauce based) glaze and sides of mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage. Lots of people also lay some strips of bacon across the top, which helps flavor the meat, plus, of course, it's bacon!

(Just thought I should finally reply to you since no one else did)

Otherwise, I was just about to start my own thread for this very topic, mostly for how I see it as one of those types of dishes that tends to benefit from regular updating, bouncing ideas of others. Lately, I've been thinking about adding olives (stuffed with pimentos) and a ketchup-glaze in particular. That's what my friend's mom helped her son & I make for some home-economics type of assignment in back in high-school. Spanish-style, I think is what she called it? Although, I've never seen or heard of anything like it since. Would also like to fold some (ground) lamb & pork as well as something kind of spice-mix (chilli? ground cardamom? coriander/cilantro?).

To me, this is the kind of thing where you really can't go so wrong just throwing together a whole mess of ingredients, and just because you happen to like them & have them on-hand in good quality.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #27
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i used to make my meatloaf with egg. i like a firm meatloaf. when i married hub he introduced me to using ranch dressing (from the bottle) and bread crumbs (from the canister) into meatloaf instead. I really like it. The ranch adds flavor and helps the bread crumbs bind the meatloaf. It stays together but does not get as tough as when you bind it with egg.

i myself also enjoy putting those french fried onion crunchies into the loaf. they have a stronger flavor than fresh onion and give it a bit of texture.

i look forward to seeing other people's posts on meatloaf. it is one of those foods you can change up a bit and have a whole new taste to.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #28
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The original meatloaf is, of course, only the larval stage of what will, in its adulthood, become the meatloaf sandwich! This is one of the few meat dishes that I, as a vegetarian, genuinely miss. I have uncovered half a dozen recipes for a vegetarian meatloaf, and they have proved uniformly terrible. Nevertheless, I continue my Zen-like quest for the Meatless Meatloaf.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #29
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

2 pounds lean ground beef
20 saltine crackers, crumbled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer, mix the beef, cracker crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, and onion until just blended. Shape the mixture into two loaves and place side by side crosswise in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan. Bake the loaves for 1 hour, or until they are browned. Transfer to a platter immediately and allow the loaves to cool slightly and firm up before slicing.

My wife used this recipe tonight and it was amazing. Even my daughter who usually doesn't care for meatloaf at all of hers. The mustard really sets it off.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default HhmmM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
...the larval stage of what will, in its adulthood, become the meatloaf sandwich!...one of the few meat dishes that I, as a vegetarian, genuinely miss...uncovered half a dozen recipes for a vegetarian meatloaf, and they have proved uniformly terrible...I continue my Zen-like quest for the Meatless Meatloaf..
Right, right. It's one of those things where, it's really about the marrying of a bunch of flavors. Once you get that right, there's no saving it, it will all be soon eaten. Which is precisely why I also tend to think the ideal vegetarian application is necessarily out there, somewhere. What kinds of stuff did you end up using for the body of it? I'm not vegetarian, at all, but definitely enjoy the flavor and texture of stuff like Tempeh or Seitan. Or anything made with Tahini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
"...hub he introduced me to using ranch dressing (from the bottle) and bread crumbs (from the canister)"
How much dressing are we talking about here? About the same amount, per volume, as the egg(s) you're substituting?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #31
riplee

riplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized repriplee has super-sized rep
Default Always,

ALWAYS, be sure to include some bacon on top.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #32
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
How much dressing are we talking about here? About the same amount, per volume, as the egg(s) you're substituting?
depends on the amount of meat/crumbs you have. no, i don't usually use as much ranch as you would the same volume of egg. for 1lb i just give a squeeze of the bottle. you really have to eyeball it. i only add enough to get it to come together.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #33
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default ^Right, right.

Because, without anything else added, bread crumbs, hearbs, ect...just the meat would be enough to hold itself together. Without any emulsifier.

How do you...What do you know about the kind of red-ketchupy glaze we typically see it covered in? How does a person typically achieve that effect in a more home-style fashion? Is it, like, cut with bbq sauce or honey or tabasco or something like that? Or is it just regular, plain ketchup, how it would naturally reduce inside the oven?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #34
Deannie

Deannie does more than just post hot picsDeannie does more than just post hot picsDeannie does more than just post hot pics

Meatloaf, meatloaf, double beet loaf...I hate meatloaf.

I really love meatloaf, but I had to say that because I am such a fan of The Christmas Story.
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #35
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

traditionally it is just ketchup. it reduces down in the oven and thickens.

here in the south they also do use
bbq sauce
ketchup with brown sugar in it
ketchup with Worcestershire and honey

or you can really use any glaze you enjoy.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #36
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

so my hub was throwing together a meat loaf and used the last crunched up bits of the cheddar goldfish crackers that were in the bottom of the bag instead of bread crumbs. along with the ranch it tasted amazing!

my next meatloaf will prob be the recipe that screaming chicken has in this thread. i love mustard and am excited to see what it does for the meatloaf.
i will probably leave out the extra salt since the saltines have salt on them and hub shouldn't have the extra salt.

i am looking forward to it
Old 02-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #37
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love a good meatloaf too.
I don't have a written recipe per say.I do change it up and add different things from time to time to the basic recipe my Mom taught me.
Making more than one is something I do so I can freeze one to have another day.
I have done them in my smoker using mesquite or apple wood and that really gives it some great flavor.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote