Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default College Breakfast Dilemma

I REALLY REALLY REALLY love sleeps and HATE getting up in the morning, but I will most likely have at least one 8 AM class in college. So I have a dilemma on my hands: Get up at the crack of aw-hell-no to have time to eat breakfast before class, or sleep in, sit thru my first class with an empty tummy and eat breakfast between my first and second class? Right now it looks like I will only have one day a week with an 8 AM class first semester (and it's a class I'm unsure about and may end up dropping in the first few weeks anyway, but I want to be careful and make sure I'm judging the class on the material and not just dropping it because I'm always tired and/or hungry during it), but second semester it looks like it could be a Monday-Friday thing. So what would you do in my position?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysqueezablysoft is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Not that my school's breakfast menu isn't worth getting up for, here is what they had this morning :
–American Grill
French Toast Sticks
Grits
O'Brien Potatoes
Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Pork Sausage Patty
Sausage Gravy
Scrambled Eggs
–Bakery
Buttermilk Biscuit
Chocolate Chip Scone
Chocolate Donut Bites
Pear Slices
Salsa
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Strawberries
Strawberry Yogurt
Vanilla Yogurt
Watermelon Cubes
Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Me, I don't function at all well without food in the morning (but I can also get up and function at pretty much any ungodly hour, provided I get food). So I put a lot of importance on breakfast.

For one day a week, I'd prepare yourself a quick breakfast the night before, probably high protein (some cheese, a bit of leftover meat from the night before cut into bite sized pieces), or at least fairly healthy and high in fibre (cut up pineapple, some already cooked up steel-cut oatmeal that you can quickly re-heat, etc). Nothing high in sugar or the early start plus the sugar crash will leave you wiped by mid-morning.

When it is a regular thing, you just really work on shifting your schedule (getting to bed earlier or scheduling an afternoon nap, and routinely getting up in time to do your morning thing)

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default If you want to bring it home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezablysoft View Post
"I REALLY REALLY REALLY love sleeps and HATE getting up in the morning, but I will most likely have at least one 8 AM class in college."
Maybe this will seem like a stupid question, but why? Why set yourself up like that?

Quote:
"...Right now it looks like I will only have one day a week with an 8 AM class first semester (and it's a class I'm unsure about and may end up dropping in the first few weeks anyway, but I want to be careful and...So what would you do in my position?"
If you really want to be careful about it, just take the classes you know you'll show up for the entire semester. Commit to a consistent schedule, getting up & going to bed the same time every day of the week. Same for stuff like eating or taking periodic breaks from studying. The more consistently you stick to a regular schedule without too many extreme disruptions, the more productive you'll ultimately be throughout the entire semester, if not all four years. You can always take an extra class, if you need to make up a few credits here or there, especially later on, when you're better adjusted to your environment. But you won't get the money or time back from classes dropped and your gpa won't recover from classes you perform poorly in.

Quote:
"Not that my school's breakfast menu isn't worth getting up for, here is what they had this morning :
–American Grill
French Toast Sticks
Grits
O'Brien Potatoes
Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Pork Sausage Patty
Sausage Gravy
Scrambled Eggs
–Bakery
Buttermilk Biscuit
Chocolate Chip Scone
Chocolate Donut Bites
Pear Slices
Salsa
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Strawberries
Strawberry Yogurt
Vanilla Yogurt
Watermelon Cubes
"
Straight away, I can tell you something's missing.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
squeezablysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Maybe this will seem like a stupid question, but why? Why set yourself up like that?

If you really want to be careful about it, just take the classes you know you'll show up for the entire semester. Commit to a consistent schedule, getting up & going to bed the same time every day of the week. Same for stuff like eating or taking periodic breaks from studying. The more consistently you stick to a regular schedule without too many extreme disruptions, the more productive you'll ultimately be throughout the entire semester, if not all four years. You can always take an extra class, if you need to make up a few credits here or there, especially later on, when you're better adjusted to your environment. But you won't get the money or time back from classes dropped and your gpa won't recover from classes you perform poorly in.

Straight away, I can tell you something's missing.
The thing is I'm torn between 2 majors, and the introductory course for the one I'm not leaning towards (which will really help me decide if it's the major I want) is only offered at 8 AM. And believe me I tried to avoid the early classes second semester, but a lot of the classes are only offered 1 or 2 different time slots. My schedule isn't officially set yet though, that won't happen till I go to Summer Orientation June 17. It would help if I could make up my mind about my major. What's missing, Yakatori?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The most important part:

Quote:
"The thing is I'm torn between 2 majors, and the introductory course for the one I'm not leaning towards (which will really help me decide if it's the major I want...It would help if I could make up my mind about my major. "
No, it will not. Don't worry about your major. Your major's not really so important, at this particular point, just starting out. As much as it's so much more important to get off to a relatively good start, make the adjustment to a totally different type of course-load and environment. And do as well as you possibly can in those classes you do take.

Truthfully, depending on the major, the introductory or survey-level pre-requisite classes are mostly useful for screening or qualifying people out of the more advanced, better classes within the major, the more valuable part of what you're actually paying for in both money and time. Sometimes, you can even bypass those less valuable introductory classes altogether. And so, your overall transcript will look better the more you do well in more advanced classes (>300 level).

Otherwise, maybe if you take at least one challenging class in either of the two possible majors, it will give you enough of a sense to begin to rule one out. Or start to more seriously consider a different one altogether.

But, like I said, you have plenty of time to do that. What you do not have as much time or latitude with is to get-it-right coming out of your first semester with a solid 12-15 credits, above 3.0 or so. That's really what's more important, straight away.

Quote:
"My schedule isn't officially set yet though, that won't happen till I go to Summer Orientation June 17. It would help if I could make up my mind about my major."
That's a good thing, if that's still early in the overall Summer Orientation schedule. You want to go to the earliest possible Summer Orientation that you can get into. Particularly if you're going to be attending any kind of large public university (>5,000 undergraduates), it's best to go through the Summer Orientation as soon as you can. Ahead of as many of your classmates as you can.

To begin with, because the later you get through the Summer Advisement, the later you will end up actually registering. And the harder it will be to get into certain classes. I'm sure, some space will be held for groups of students who come in latter in the summer; but it won't be any easier than it is for the kids who start off earlier. Then, as I'm sure you've already considered, once you have your classes picked and been fully enrolled into them, you stand a pretty good chance to get a hold of the reading list for at least one or maybe two of them. In which case, you can get a significant jump on your reading. Or figuring out where to get better deals on different books from different places ((online, local and campus libraries, used-book exchanges, ect...). You can save yourself a lot of time & money this way and these little advantages here and there will tend to snowball over the course of your entire program.

Quote:
"What's missing, Yakatori?"
Bacon.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
squeezablysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
No, it will not. Don't worry about your major. Your major's not really so important, at this particular point, just starting out. As much as it's so much more important to get off to a relatively good start, make the adjustment to a totally different type of course-load and environment. And do as well as you possibly can in those classes you do take.

Truthfully, depending on the major, the introductory or survey-level pre-requisite classes are mostly useful for screening or qualifying people out of the more advanced, better classes within the major, the more valuable part of what you're actually paying for in both money and time. Sometimes, you can even bypass those less valuable introductory classes altogether. And so, your overall transcript will look better the more you do well in more advanced classes (>300 level).

Otherwise, maybe if you take at least one challenging class in either of the two possible majors, it will give you enough of a sense to begin to rule one out. Or start to more seriously consider a different one altogether.

But, like I said, you have plenty of time to do that. What you do not have as much time or latitude with is to get-it-right coming out of your first semester with a solid 12-15 credits, above 3.0 or so. That's really what's more important, straight away.

That's a good thing, if that's still early in the overall Summer Orientation schedule. You want to go to the earliest possible Summer Orientation that you can get into. Particularly if you're going to be attending any kind of large public university (>5,000 undergraduates), it's best to go through the Summer Orientation as soon as you can. Ahead of as many of your classmates as you can.

To begin with, because the later you get through the Summer Advisement, the later you will end up actually registering. And the harder it will be to get into certain classes. I'm sure, some space will be held for groups of students who come in latter in the summer; but it won't be any easier than it is for the kids who start off earlier. Then, as I'm sure you've already considered, once you have your classes picked and been fully enrolled into them, you stand a pretty good chance to get a hold of the reading list for at least one or maybe two of them. In which case, you can get a significant jump on your reading. Or figuring out where to get better deals on different books from different places ((online, local and campus libraries, used-book exchanges, ect...). You can save yourself a lot of time & money this way and these little advantages here and there will tend to snowball over the course of your entire program.

Bacon.
I made a post here about my major situation: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...d.php?t=119231

Yep, June 17 is the earliest Orientation, also the one my BBW BFF is going to, I actually didn't even know they were registering ppl for Orientation till she messaged me and said we need to go together.

Oh, BACON, of course! That is weird, now that I think of it.