Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 06-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Happy Canada Day!!

Happy Canada Day (as most of us here are Canadian!) Enjoy your day off Canucks! (as Im a Canadian living state-side I gotta wait for Monday for my day off!)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"...the world needs more Canada".
-- President Obama, in an address to Canada's Parliament yesterday.
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Have a good one, eh?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

G'day.

FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Are you guys excited about the future of America...your neighbors

BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaz View Post
Are you guys excited about the future of America...your neighbors

We are just planning on building a wall across the border, and making the US pay for it ....
Old 07-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Dual citizenship? More like escape plan at this point...
Old 07-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitislove View Post
Dual citizenship? More like escape plan at this point...
Escape is difficult. If you become an expatriate, you not only pay taxes in your country of residence, but you continue to pay income tax to Uncle. The only way out of that is to officially renounce your U.S. citizenship, which apparently takes a whole lot of (a) time, (b) lawyers, and (c) money. And the only reason I know this is because there was an article on it last week in the Guardian.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Escape is difficult. If you become an expatriate, you not only pay taxes in your country of residence, but you continue to pay income tax to Uncle. The only way out of that is to officially renounce your U.S. citizenship, which apparently takes a whole lot of (a) time, (b) lawyers, and (c) money. And the only reason I know this is because there was an article on it last week in the Guardian.
This is true but somewhat misunderstood. Expats have to file tax returns in the US as well as their country of residence but only have to pay US income tax if their income is above certain levels, for instance those living in Canada only have to pay the IRS on income more than $99,200 excluding revenue sources such as capital gains and other, non-paycheque type income sources. From what I've been told the true pain in the butt part is filing tax returns for both countries.

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
From what I've been told the true pain in the butt part is filing tax returns for both countries.
The allowances are very generous(If you earn more than the allowance, you're probably going to need an accountant anyhow) and filling out the return is relatively simple as long as your financial situation is straightforward.

My (American) wife pretty much checks boxes saying she lives overseas, her earnings are overseas and within the allowances.
She only pays UK taxes on her earnings.

But...
I get paid royalties by a US company. Which means I pay US taxes (withholding) unless I fill out a form to reclaim them.

However, submitting the new version of the form to reclaim them would result in my being assigned a filing number (SSN?) even though I don't have to fill out a return.

As I understand it, If I have a number.. It has to go on my wife's tax return along with all my finances and it just opens up a whole complicated can of worms.

So I pay US taxes despite not being a US Citizen because it's less work than trying to claim them back.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Escape is difficult. If you become an expatriate, you not only pay taxes in your country of residence, but you continue to pay income tax to Uncle.
As others have pointed out - given the generous allowances, as far as taxes go the main issue for most expats is the bureaucratic hassle.

What is turning into an increasing problem though is that all ex-pats with a foreign bank account (even a normal checking account) have to file FBAR and FATCA - allegedly to help clamp down on tax evasion and money laundering.

My brother withdrew his name from several joint accounts with his wife to save the hassle - and I've had friends in various European countries get refused more complex financial products as their bank did not want to go through the US procedures.

For a long time, it was only a harmless oddity that the US as the only Western democracy hinges tax payments on citizenship - now it's turning into a true burden for probably millions of totally harmless expats.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote