Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Texas declared swing state; wasn't projected to become one until 2024

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-texas-is-now-a-toss-up-in-the-presidential-election-2016-10

Quote:
Texas is now a toss-up state in the presidential election, according to new data from RealClear Politics' poll aggregator.

The RCP average shows Trump leading Clinton 43.6 percent to 38.8 percent in Texas.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's lead showed signs of faltering earlier this month, when a poll from the WFAA-TV and Texas TEGNA television stations released on Oct. 13 showed Trump's lead in Texas over Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton to be 47 percent to 43 percent, with a 4 percent margin of error.

Arizona, which hasn't gone blue in a presidential election since it voted for Bill Clinton in 1996, is also up for grabs, according to RealClear Politics' poll average. Texas, meanwhile, has not voted for a Democratic presidential candidate since Jimmy Carter in 1976.

Republicans had easy wins in the Lone Star State the past four elections: Mitt Romney won by 16 points in 201; John McCain by 13 points in 2008; and George W. Bush took his home state by 23 points in 2004 and 22 points in 2000.

Texas' top Republicans continue to back Trump.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

He may not hit a double digit margin of victory but Trump is not losing Texas. There is plenty of anti-Clinton sentiment to see to that. Sorry to disappoint the Clinton supporters in the room.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'll second what SC posted. Just from my observations on FB amongst my different friends and assorted acquaintances and as I drive around the state as part of my job, I have yet to see one Clinton yard sign or bumper sticker. Same with the other down ticket candidates as well. Very little representation of anyone outside the R candidates. I don't know, maybe they conducted the poll in Austin. I could see Clinton gaining a lead there.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am not willing to say Clinton will win Texas, but it's pretty clear that she's polling better there than she has any right to be.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

I was shocked to see both campaigns running TV ads here the other day.

Clinton could win Austin, San Antonio, and some of the cities in the Valley. Everywhere else is going to be one hell of climb up the mountain.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #6
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
I was shocked to see both campaigns running TV ads here the other day.

Clinton could win Austin, San Antonio, and some of the cities in the Valley. Everywhere else is going to be one hell of climb up the mountain.
She's probably win Dallas and Houston too. Texas will indeed become a blue state in the not too distant future.

A generation ago California was considered a Republican stronghold. Texas is going down the same path.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #7
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
She's probably win Dallas and Houston too. Texas will indeed become a blue state in the not too distant future.

A generation ago California was considered a Republican stronghold. Texas is going down the same path.
Obama won Houston and Harris County in 2013 but it was 51/49 split. I don't see it happening.

Dallas? No way. Too red of a town.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post

This cracks me up a bit. Texas has only been Republican for around 20 years or less. For over a hundred years leading up to that it has been overwhelmingly Democrat albeit more of a centrist than overly liberal ideaology. One might say it is reverting more so than changing.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
This cracks me up a bit. Texas has only been Republican for around 20 years or less. For over a hundred years leading up to that it has been overwhelmingly Democrat albeit more of a centrist than overly liberal ideaology. One might say it is reverting more so than changing.
In all fairness, Texas has pretty much always been conservative and the controlling party at the time was a reflection of that philosophy. The parties started their personality swaps on a national in the early 1900's. It wasn't until Ann Richards got voted out in 1994 did Texas finally catch along with the rest of the Old South about the same time.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
LeoGibson
Slangin'

To an extent I agree with that, but a lot had to do with the Republicans finally getting enough power to redistrict. Not to say we've been liberal here by any means, but if you look at the social programs that have been in place, some longer than the federally mandated ones, and take into account that Johnson signed The Civil Rights Act and also I believe The Welfare Act, that yes Texas is very close to center in most things and very conservative in others, but it would be uneven to think that they are just an extension of the South that needed another 30 years to swap sides.