Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 02-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #51
ShakesSphere

ShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I agree about blood pressure. At least two-thirds of the health risk from obesity is a result of high blood pressure. The key point is that high blood pressure is easily treatable with any number of cheap and effective medications that have few side effects. Blood pressure pills are far more effective than weight loss --even after losing weight people will need pills.
Use a wrist BP monitor to get a quick estimate. It's accurate enough for home use.
Diabetes is tougher to treat. A good home test is get urine test strips for glucose. Sugar does not belong in urine if it's there you have a serious problem.
Getting a physical probably does not help much. But fat bodies need to be checked for a few major fat-related diseases. Blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar covers the main stuff.
ShakesSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #52
Fat Molly
hufflepuff hobbit

Fat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticedFat Molly never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily_married View Post
This is a great start. I've never trained someone quite as obese as your partner, (and in full discloser I'm not a certified trainer anyway) but I've always felt if I were going to do so, swimming is where I'd have him or her start. I also recommend the basic compound lifts: bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press, and barbell rows make up the core of my training efforts. Even in an era where people are constantly trying to reinvent fitness these lifts remain staples in any serious strength program. They are easy to learn the proper technique, too. And the returns for the effort on those lifts far exceed a lot of the more technical trendy stuff you see these days.

If he is interested (or if you are going to push him into) the weight room, first do a quick search on the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It's a wonderful entry-level program that ANYONE can do. Also, since he is experiencing knee issues related to weight, I'll add maybe replacing conventional squats with the hack squat until he gets some muscle built up.

Best wishes to you as you continue to support your loved one.
can't give you more rep but thanks <3
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #53
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyarts View Post
What are the real life effects of this? I was 500+ pounds back around 2000-2002, and 300+ pounds now. That's 200-ish pounds worth of deflated empty fat cells hanging around in my body for the past 15 years. If it's just tissue that needs to be kept alive along with the rest of me, it's not using up enough energy for me to notice. Should I be able to tell they're there?
I don't think anyone knows if deflated fat cells stay around forever. Cells die off and are replaced -- or possibly are not replaced. However, at least while the deflated fat cells are still around it means that the you can more easily regain your lost weight. That is its easier for a 300 pound woman who once weighed 500 pounds to gain than it is for a similar 300 pound woman who never weighed more.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote