Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #26
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
Aww so cute. Yep little brother, you Canucks sure won one. Honest you did.
The USA set out to conquer Canada, and didn't pick up a single square mile of territory; I'd say the Canadians won.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #27
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Loopy, just remember, when going through Customs and Immigration, answer only the questions they ask, and make sure to look the agents in the eye, at least briefly; hard as that can be, if you avoid eye contact completely they get quite suspicious.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
*nods and smiles*

Am I doing this right, FreeThinker?
*nod*

Perfect.

*smile*
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #29
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
The USA set out to conquer Canada, and didn't pick up a single square mile of territory; I'd say the Canadians won.
Totally. Just like Lord Stanley's cup always stays in Canada?

Yeah, I went there!

LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #30
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not sure anyone actually wins a war; it's just that one side doesn't lose quite as badly as the other side.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #31
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I doubt that Loopy, being English, would even have any real awareness of the war of 1812 -- I'd guess it got lost in that bit of bother that some corsican was creating on the continent.

So Loopy, should you ever get caught in such a conversation, well you know the drill: smile and nod!

(and the tl;dr version of the war history: the war ran from 1812-1814, the Americans got the british to finally treat them more like a proper nation, but didn't get the remaining british colonies in North America (which eventually became Canada) to join the US (obstensibly the reason for starting the war). There was heroics and stupidity, brilliance and incompetence on both sides. Some regions really didn't care about the war at all. And as in most north american history, the first natives came off the worst -- they allied with the british, lost their strongest leader in battle, and afterwards had no hope of stopping the USA from expanding further westwards, while the british showed no long term gratitude for their support.)

Do note that many (most?) American schools teach little to no history or geography of anything other than the US. So you may get asked some odd questions or be told some questionable 'facts' about the UK. But I think you are already practicing the response to that -- *smile* *nod* is a key skill for travel anywhere, really
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #32
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Loopy, just remember, when going through Customs and Immigration, answer only the questions they ask, and make sure to look the agents in the eye, at least briefly; hard as that can be, if you avoid eye contact completely they get quite suspicious.
...eye contact isn't something I'm generally capable of, being autistic. I can try though.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #33
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If it helps, I see in your profile pic that you can look directly into a camera, so perhaps try to think of their eyes as a camera lens.

Or maybe you could look at their eyes with the intention of just seeing what they look like. Eyes are interesting things, after all.

Or do like I do on stage: Look above their eyes (although not at the back wall, as I do, but perhaps at their eyebrows or forehead).

My apologies if I'm speaking out of turn. I realize I have no experience in being autistic and may be performing a visual self-examination of my lower intestinal tract.

Do whatever makes you the least uncomfortable.

But you knew that.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #34
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Other peculiar Americanisms of which you should be aware:

The WC is referred to as a 'bathroom', even if there is no bath contained therein. In public places (retail, tourist places, etc), such facilities may be referred to as 'restrooms'. Toilet paper is politely referred to as 'bathroom tissue'.

Carbonated soft drinks may be called soda, pop, or coke (even if it's not cola). There is no Bitter Lemon.

Be prepared to hear religious-sounding phrases used as pleasantries ("bless you," "have a blessed day," or the like).

'Fanny' refers to one's backside, not the part of anatomy referenced in the British Isles, so don't be freaked out to hear it used in public.

I'm sure there are other examples, but these are the ones that commonly strike me.

Enjoy your trip.
Have a blessed day....did you pick that up from your trip to Pigeon Forge? Don't forget Bless your Heart. That is a southern thang though I do believe.

You were being serious about that bitter lemon thing, eh? Don't make me paddle your fanny...

I say toilet paper.

A shopping cart can be referred to as a buggy...though I think that may be another southern expression. Some of the people that I used to work with that migrated to the USA tripped out on that one.

Oh and one thing I learned from yahoo chat rooms,Loop....don't use the slang expression used in England for cigarettes. That's a definite slur here...big no no.
Slang and references change region to region....just like the foods and how they taste can. Little countries within a big geography.
Chicago is known for some foods...which I plan to try.

Interesting to see that Loop's travel plans started another argument in Soap Box

BTW, we won the whole damn continent...didn't you notice?

Don't make me start singing patriotic songs Andrew...I'll start posting Youtube links just to show you Mister.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #35
FreeThinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Have a blessed day....did you pick that up from your trip to Pigeon Forge? Don't forget Bless your Heart. That is a southern thang though I do believe.

You were being serious about that bitter lemon thing, eh? Don't make me paddle your fanny...
Promises, promises...

Bitter Lemon was a soft drink I encountered in the Netherlands last spring when I couldn't get ginger ale (which, Loopy, is not the same as ginger beer ). Bitter Lemon perfectly describes the taste of that beverage. Very refreshing!

The 'blessed day' comment came courtesy of a Sonic server in Alabama.

Quote:
Interesting to see that Loop's travel plans started another argument in Soap Box

BTW, we won the whole damn continent...didn't you notice?

Don't make me start singing patriotic songs Andrew...I'll start posting Youtube links just to show you Mister.
I dare you. I don't think you're enough of a narcissist to post a video of yourself singing. I mean, who does that?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 AM   #36
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
If it helps, I see in your profile pic that you can look directly into a camera, so perhaps try to think of their eyes as a camera lens.

Or maybe you could look at their eyes with the intention of just seeing what they look like. Eyes are interesting things, after all.

Or do like I do on stage: Look above their eyes (although not at the back wall, as I do, but perhaps at their eyebrows or forehead).

My apologies if I'm speaking out of turn. I realize I have no experience in being autistic and may be performing a visual self-examination of my lower intestinal tract.

Do whatever makes you the least uncomfortable.

But you knew that.
Ah, looking above their eyes I can kinda do. I've had to do it before for job interviews, I usually kinda unfocus my eyes and tilt them in the general direction of the person's face. You'd have thought that would look weird, but apparently not as they all commented on how confident and friendly I seemed. Eyebrows is another one I've heard of as advice; apparently to the person you are talking to it looks the same as when you look into their eyes.

You're not at all, I'm thankful for the advice. =)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #37
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
The only today still relevant aspect of the War of 1812 is that is inspired the lyrics of the Star-Spangled Banner, the US national anthem.

If you remember and mention that Loopy, you'll be fine.

Also, I agree with GF - if you're going to Chicago, forget all the "blessed" & fancy talk stuff. I grew up in the region, language is pretty much "no frills" there.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #38
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
A shopping cart can be referred to as a buggy...though I think that may be another southern expression. Some of the people that I used to work with that migrated to the USA tripped out on that one.

Oh and one thing I learned from yahoo chat rooms,Loop....don't use the slang expression used in England for cigarettes. That's a definite slur here...big no no.
Slang and references change region to region....just like the foods and how they taste can. Little countries within a big geography.
Chicago is known for some foods...which I plan to try.

Hahaha, a buggy over here is something you put a small child in to walk them around!

And yes, I know not to use to word 'fags' around americans, even though it amuses me that the word has such a different meaning over there! I think that "Aunt Bessie's Best Faggots" would probably not be the best name for frozen meatballs over there!

Didn't you know that I have the power to start arguments wherever I go?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #39
FreeThinker

Hey, wait!

I started that argument and I don't even have posting privileges there yet!

I have the power to start arguments in places I havent been, just by nodding and smiling!

Not that that's the best case to put forward while awaiting moderator approval to post there, I suppose...

(I'll be good, Loop, I promise! )
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #40
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, wait!

I started that argument and I don't even have posting privileges there yet!

I have the power to start arguments in places I havent been, just by nodding and smiling!

Not that that's the best case to put forward while awaiting moderator approval to post there, I suppose...

(I'll be good, Loop, I promise! )
Yes, but it is my name mentioned in the title of the thread! Therefore I get to take credit for the argument!

It's okay, the power of pineapples compels me to allow you access!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #41
fat hiker

Quote:
...eye contact isn't something I'm generally capable of, being autistic. I can try though.
I seemed to remember that from previous postings, which is why I mentioned it. It doesn't need to be for very long, or very much - perhaps, if you want to plan, do it when you are handing over your passport, or just after -look up, generally in the agent's direction, then you can look away freely. A 'laser stare' is no better than avoiding eye contact all together, but a brief glimpse, a looking up, will do.

It just relieves their professional suspicions a little, so makes the passage easier.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #42
fat hiker

Quote:

Yeah, I went there!

We chose to share the Cup with y'all down south;

we chose NOT to share our country.

Neighbours, friends, family, but not identical; that's Canada and the US in a nutshell.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #43
fat hiker

Quote:
Ah, looking above their eyes I can kinda do. I've had to do it before for job interviews, I usually kinda unfocus my eyes and tilt them in the general direction of the person's face. You'd have thought that would look weird, but apparently not as they all commented on how confident and friendly I seemed. Eyebrows is another one I've heard of as advice; apparently to the person you are talking to it looks the same as when you look into their eyes.

You're not at all, I'm thankful for the advice. =)
Those both sound excellent!

When I have to talk to a group, I'm often looking at eyebrows, or just generally in my audience's direction. They don't notice that I'm not seeing them!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #44
FreeThinker

Quote:
Yes, but it is my name mentioned in the title of the thread! Therefore I get to take credit for the argument!

It's okay, the power of pineapples compels me to allow you access!
Aw, you're so much sweeter than they* are.

*Pineapples, that is.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #45
Wanderer
Actor at Extra-Large

Wanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I doubt that Loopy, being English, would even have any real awareness of the war of 1812 -- I'd guess it got lost in that bit of bother that some corsican was creating on the continent.

So Loopy, should you ever get caught in such a conversation, well you know the drill: smile and nod!

(and the tl;dr version of the war history: the war ran from 1812-1814, the Americans got the british to finally treat them more like a proper nation, but didn't get the remaining british colonies in North America (which eventually became Canada) to join the US (obstensibly the reason for starting the war). There was heroics and stupidity, brilliance and incompetence on both sides. Some regions really didn't care about the war at all. And as in most north american history, the first natives came off the worst -- they allied with the british, lost their strongest leader in battle, and afterwards had no hope of stopping the USA from expanding further westwards, while the british showed no long term gratitude for their support.)

Do note that many (most?) American schools teach little to no history or geography of anything other than the US. So you may get asked some odd questions or be told some questionable 'facts' about the UK. But I think you are already practicing the response to that -- *smile* *nod* is a key skill for travel anywhere, really
Officially, at least, the United States declared war mostly because the British were stealing our sailors to man their ships. Well, and because Britain was trying to tell us who we could trade with, while running arms to the Indian tribes in hopes we'd get killed off or driven back to the Empire.

You know, little things like that.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #46
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

we chose NOT to share our country.

Neighbours, friends, family, but not identical; that's Canada and the US in a nutshell.
I know. I love Canada and most Canadians in general. At least all the ones I've interacted with over the years. But I do like jacking with those I like too so...
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #47
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Yeah, I went there!

Quote:
Two countries one cup. They should make a movie about that.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #48
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Loopy, I don’t know if you are much of a reader, nor what sort of thing you like to read, so 90% this won’t be of interest, but on the 10% … there is a book series of moder, urban, fantasy that goes by the name “The Dresden Files” which is set in Chicago, and makes quite a bit of use of Chicago (major events happen at big landmarks, various areas and neighborhoods are described, some of the geography and history of the city is explored), and which is a lot of fun for people who like books about things like wizard detectives (It starts off referencing a lot of the classic tropes from 20th century hard boiled detective stories, although it gradually drops those as it builds up its own mythology.) Any of the first ten novels in the series stand on their own reasonably well, but the later ones really need to be read in order to make much sense.

If that sort of book isn’t your cup of tea, you might consider other books or movies or tv series set in Chicago, to give you a bit of a feel for the place, and to give you some places to see for reasons beyond the obvious (at least for me, it is kind of cool to visit places I’ve seen described in books)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #49
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Atlas obscura often has cool or weird things in an area.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/search?u...&mode=standard
Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #50
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
The Dresden Files
I was tickled to see Sue at the Field museum.