Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #26
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Mushing everything up that's supposed to convince by it's texture or needs to be baked or whatever - uuuggh - no thank you!
I can't rep you for this, but I can swear undying allegiance.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #27
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojodi View Post
Local Greek restaurant/diner still makes apple pies daily.
Do they make actual American style apple pie? Or more like Greek miló pitá? Meaning thin flaky filó dough, sometimes multi-layered (in contrast to a pie crust) with a filling with honey, cinnamon & walnut?
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Do they make actual American style apple pie? Or more like Greek miló pitá? Meaning thin flaky filó dough, sometimes multi-layered (in contrast to a pie crust) with a filling with honey, cinnamon & walnut?
'Murican style. They make Greek desserts - your example and baklava - all day!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default "Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
hub eats apple pie with slices of thin cut cheddar on top. i tried it, but could not get into the flavor. i looked it up and it is a thing...anyone else eat cheese on it like that?
“An apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze”

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #30
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default If you're ever in Minnesooooota . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Burn the witch!

But have you ever tried Dutch Apple Pie? It starts with dried apples, so ends up with a very different consistency than regular apple pie.
Coming home from Duluth last Sunday, we stopped in Moose Lake for coffee and a treat. The Lazy Moose restaurant has been through several changes of owners, names and menus. We have been there a number of times. When we were more adventurous, that was our northern stop when we were biking. The link takes you directly to their menu. Everything is cooked on-site. It was Mrs Ho Ho's birthday and we could have had our birthday celebration right there.

I was just going to have a cup of coffee and a bowl of chili, but the dessert counter beckoned and I wound up with a piece of Dutch Apple pie. Oh, that was good, including a very tender, flaky crust (lard, I'm sure).

Give it a try and get back to me. I'm the complaint department.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
traceg

traceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot pics

Ive at a few pies over the years and loved every one
traceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #32
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticed

Love the quote! When I lived in Alabama one of the little country meat and 3 always had an apple and cheese dish that had a crust. Same concept. If you are lucky some places even had pineapple and cheese casserole. Oh how I miss some things in the south......
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #33
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
If you are lucky some places even had pineapple and cheese casserole. Oh how I miss some things in the south......
Miss no longer! There are at least four recipes for pineapple-cheese casserole at www.allrecipes.com (plus a recipe for pineapple enchiladas that I have GOT to try).
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

I live an hour's drive from where Pie A La Mode was created - Cambridge Inn, Cambridge NY.

Cheese on a pie is not an upstate NY thing. Some restaurants offered that choice in the 80s and 90s, haven't since.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #35
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I hate store bought apple pie, but home made apple pie is amazing. I think it is one of the best desserts. I also love blueberry and cherryok ok ....all pies if made right beat most chain restaurant's desserts.

I recently had an apple pie with a cheddar crust that was Devine. I had never had a cheese crust but it was crispy and savory and complemented the apple to perfection. The friend who made it said it was an old New England tradition, especially in Massachusetts.

My mom makes a pie that is similar to a Reese's but even better almost a cheesecake peanut butter filling with a thick fudge poured on top. Ah pie....
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #36
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The best, most tempting apple pie to me is more of an apple crisp...with vanilla ice cream....with a hot buttery caramel sauce all over it.
Just saying.....

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #37
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

my mother has long been part of a group their church that's makes a great whack of pies to sell at the Christmas bazaar each year -- it was a pretty good fund raiser and pulled people into the bazaar, where they may buy other stuff.

But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #38
plushkitty

plushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.
I'm in my thirties and I bake a darn good pie! Coconut banana cream and lemon sour cream are my specialties, but I can do apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan, all the classics. My mom and grandma didn't bake very good pies, so I had to teach myself from cookbooks and the internet. Maybe with the rise of internet tutorials and foodie culture we'll see a resurgence of pie baking. I have a friend several years younger than me who makes a Concord grape pie that's to die for, she won a blue ribbon at the county fair!
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #39
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have never heard of grape pie before is it a hot or cold pie?

Also I bake a lot of pies from scratch during the winter and some of my friends also bake pies.
Leem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #40
plushkitty

plushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem View Post
I have never heard of grape pie before is it a hot or cold pie?
It's a hot pie, just like most fruit pies. The taste and texture remind me of blackberry or blueberry pie.
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #41
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not a whole fruit pie person. I only make pecan, lemon icebox, and keylime.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #42
ampleauroradelicatefame

ampleauroradelicatefame has said some nice things

I love apple pie! My grandpa makes the best apple pie
ampleauroradelicatefame is offline   Reply With Quote