Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #701
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hey y'all! Just a friendly reminder to all my cpap-using friends as the "perfect storm" approaches the east coast - there will probably be a LOT of power outages. Do you have battery backup for your CPAP? There are actual battery backup packs you can purchase from your CPAP supply store. Alternately, I was told today by my CPAP supplier that you can also plug it in to one of those car jumper battery packs if there's an outlet on yours! I'll be looking into that further and making sure it's safe today. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #702
Never2fat4me

Never2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
Hey y'all! Just a friendly reminder to all my cpap-using friends as the "perfect storm" approaches the east coast - there will probably be a LOT of power outages. Do you have battery backup for your CPAP? There are actual battery backup packs you can purchase from your CPAP supply store. Alternately, I was told today by my CPAP supplier that you can also plug it in to one of those car jumper battery packs if there's an outlet on yours! I'll be looking into that further and making sure it's safe today. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
You can also use a car or marine battery, though you will need an inverter to convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC). CPAPs are finicky, and they like a smooth wave, so you should invest in a sine wave inverter (regular inverter is not smooth - the wave it creates basically looks like stairs going up and down; sine wave inverter creates AC that is just like what comes out of the socket in the wall, and sometimes the AC they produce is even cleaner). Downside with this is that they are expensive, but they will help protect your investment. (Also, they are good for running other sensitive elctronics like computers.)

Myself, I have a marine deep cell battery - main reason is that it serves double duty as power source for a trolling motor, but they are also better for longer term use than car batteries (which are really intended for surge power - e.g., starting the car) - and a Sammlex Pure Sine Wave Inverter (I bought one with more capacity than needed for a CPAP so that I can use it for running other appliances.)

Hope everyone stays safe over the next few days, and that any power outages may be brief.

- Chris
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #703
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I remembered seeing this thread years ago and figured I'd log into Dims and check-in. Just got my sleep study results, I have severe obstructive w/ 30 up to 67 (yes, 67!!) episodes an hour. My blood oxygen went down to 72% which has got to be hurting me for real.

My question for you smarties is: if this is so dangerous why does it take so long to get help? I have to wait 2 weeks to get my cpap study and then "up to 2 months" to get the actual machine, and if my insurance doesn't pay for the good kind I'll be forced into an auto flow kind.

What should I do to stay safe and breathing at night until then? Am I in danger?

Also please tell me "everything is going to be alright!" ha
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #704
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
My question for you smarties is: if this is so dangerous why does it take so long to get help? I have to wait 2 weeks to get my cpap study and then "up to 2 months" to get the actual machine, and if my insurance doesn't pay for the good kind I'll be forced into an auto flow kind.
The auto kind is actually the best kind, because you can use it as either straight-up cpap or allow it to auto-titrate (i.e., adjust your pressure based on your breathing needs). I'd suggest going to cpaptalk.com and asking what the top-of-the-line machines are at the moment, and don't let your supplier give you anything else.

Quote:
What should I do to stay safe and breathing at night until then? Am I in danger?
There's always danger with untreated sleep apnea, but your body develops certain slight coping mechanisms when you've lived with it for a long time. You'll likely be okay, but sleep sitting up if you can - in a recliner or with a wedge pillow in bed - until you get your machine. Failing that, sleep on your stomach -- you definitely don't want to sleep on your back, as for most people, apneas are worse in that position. After you have your machine, though, don't ever sleep without it, not even for naps, because, once it's actually used to getting air while you sleep, your body rids itself of those coping mechanisms in favor of allowing you to actually breathe.

Quote:
It will be. Make sure you get a great machine with the ability to collect ALL your data so you can problem-solve when you first begin treatment. You'll have to try different masks, different settings, etc. until you get it right. Don't give up -- it's worth all the trouble. And like I said - cpaptalk.com. They are so incredibly helpful there and you'll learn a lot just reading.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #705
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks BBM, this is helpful!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #706
Never2fat4me

Never2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl View Post

Everything is going to be alright!

Seriously, it will. Worst case scenario, you will continue to be more tired than you should until you get the cpap. If you left this untreated over the long term, then yes, your sleep apnea would endanger your health. But an extra two to four months of no treatment will not be a big deal and won't hurt you.

Are you a back or a side sleeper? I know it is hard to make yourself a side sleeper if you are not, but sleeping on your side can help a bit while you are waiting for the sleep test and the cpap. Btw, check with your insurance company if you can buy somewhere like cpap.com. Service there is great - no way it should take up to two months to get your machine! - and prices are WAY better than the sleep center will offer. My insurance company let me buy there and no doubt saved a lot of money themselves not paying 80% of inflated prices.

One thing I would note is that cpap is not a panacea that will result in the greatest sleep of your life and you will always sleep through the night like a baby and never be tired again. You will definitely get much better sleep, and fewer apneas will reduce the strain on your heart. I certainly have noticed how poorly I sleep whenever I am without the cpap (very rare, but one time I left the power cord plugged in at a hotel and had to go a week or so without the cpap - it was awful!!), but many nights I still don't sleep well even with it. That is no doubt as a result of my own personal issues - and I wish to God I knew what they were! - and I don't say this to be a downer. I just think that expectations need to be realistic for what a cpap can and cannot do.

And my little tip of the day - go to http://www.padacheek.com/ (after you choose your mask) for some really great padding for the mask. I have just bought the cheek pads (for my Opus 360) and the leak strap (for my Quattro mask), and they work wonders, especially the leak strap. (Cheek pad helps prevent getting marks on my cheek from the nasal pillow mask I use every day - just a matter of vanity really, as the mask is not uncomfortable - and the leak strap helps with my full face mask - which covers nose and mouth - that I use when I have a cold. It used to "fart" quite frequently during the night (from air escaping), which made me reluctant to use it, as I had to either make the mask really tight, which hurt my head, or get woken up when the air leaked, but this adds pressure in just the right place and seems to have fixed that problem.)

Best of luck with your sleep test and beginning a new sleep life with a cpap! And hope you can be comfortable until then, and whatever you do, don't worry about whatever amount of time it takes to get the machine. You'll do great!

- Chris
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #707
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!

*bump* I was just diagnosed today with sleep apnea. He said he could tell I had it just looking down my throat but I knew I had it. I just hadn't been to the doctor about it recently. Anyway, I go into the sleep lab at the end of August for them to evaluate how bad I have it and then sept 1st they're gonna fit me for a machine. Kinda nervous but excited too. I have all sorts of sleep issues

And I plan to come back and read this entire thread lol

ETA: yesterday...I was diagnosed yesterday lol. But it still feels like today lol

Last edited by largenlovely; 08-01-2013 at 02:51 AM.
largenlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #708
Never2fat4me

Great news Melissa! This will make you feel much better. As I have posted before, it is not a panacea. I still have some sleep issues, but the sleep I get is much better with my CPAP.

Keep us updated on your progress!

- Chris
Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #709
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2fat4me View Post
Great news Melissa! This will make you feel much better. As I have posted before, it is not a panacea. I still have some sleep issues, but the sleep I get is much better with my CPAP.

Keep us updated on your progress!

- Chris
Thanks Chris that was what he told me too. Some of the other sleep issues I have may not clear up but that the sleep apnea could be exaggerating them as well. I have a tendency to alternate between getting no sleep to sleeping a lot. Back and forth and back and forth in a kind of extreme way...but hopefully this might relieve some of the problems at least
largenlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #710
imaginarydiva21

imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!imaginarydiva21 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i have been trying to use my cpap machine for nearly a year still not getting used to it so have been avoiding using it now i keep waking up struggling to breathe any tips should i try again ??
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #711
Never2fat4me

Really depends on what the problem is when you say you cannot get used to it. Best guess is that it is something with the mask; if it is that, then you should probably work with a professional to get the right one. Let us know what it is that is bothering you and what type of machine and mask you have, and maybe some of us will have some useful tips.

- Chris
Old 03-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #712
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginarydiva21 View Post
i have been trying to use my cpap machine for nearly a year still not getting used to it so have been avoiding using it now i keep waking up struggling to breathe any tips should i try again ??
I feel you, I have the same problem. =/ What kind of mask do you use? I think the best one to use depends on how you sleep as well. I have a hose supporter thing that keeps the hose from getting tangled around me too, which helps.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #713
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

A CPAP thread! I don't know how I missed this or why I never guessed there would be one here of all places.

Weird question: Does any ever find they get greasy skin from the mask leaking? I've been waking up with a greasy forehead (nice image, no?) and since my skin doesn't get greasy any other time of the day I'm wondering if the nasal mask is leaking upwards when I roll over in my sleep. It sounds unlikely but I can't think of what else it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginarydiva21 View Post
Perhaps you just need a different type of mask. Like if you have one that covers your nose and mouth maybe you'd be better off with just a nasal mask. Or vice versa. Basically what they^ already said.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #714
fatluvinguy

fatluvinguy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesfatluvinguy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
It took me a year and a half (I had an incompetent doctor and DME). My story is a rarity - but there are definitely people who take much longer. It's overnight for a few, but for most it takes at least a week, for many several months. It really depends on how severe your apnea is and how long you've been going without good sleep (you'll have sleep debt to pay off). If you start feeling like your mouth is getting quite dry, or if your throat starts getting sore, those are both signs of mouth-breathing, so keep an eye on that. Good luck, and don't give up!
I've been using a Bi-pap machine for the last 6 months now, and i'm in the category of being a slow adjuster, but I think to some extent after trying different masks and my own innovations i'm doing better.

I'm curious about your comment about mouth breathing. The doctor and people i've dealt with don't seem to think that's a problem and just gave me recommedations for helping with the dry mouth issue. (nothing has really worked so far.) The important thing at the end of the day is my sleep apnea, which was pretty severe is under control. I don't know if I could adapt to anything that forcibly closed my mouth at night. Some would like to see my mouth forcibly closed all the time, by I digress. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that issue.
fatluvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #715
fatluvinguy

fatluvinguy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesfatluvinguy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl07093 View Post
I hate when that happens and it wakes me up! Sometimes it's so noisy it scares me! lol

I was thinking the same thing. They are too expensive for me to buy all the time (if they work) and I was hoping that maybe once I got one and saw how it was made that I could maybe copy it.
I think what makes these things in particular so special is that whoever invented them thought of it first! lol It seems like a great idea and when I saw it I thought "Wow, it looks like something I could make and why didn't I think of this?"
Someone crafty could probably make some and sell them online.
That's what I told my wife. I tried the liners and they were just a waste of money, so she fashioned one herself out of spare material and it seems to be working pretty good. Still needs some minor improvements, but I don't have issues with mask leaks and problems with marks on my nose have gone away. It's actually attached to the mask by the way, so it stays in place I was joking with her that she should perfect her design and sell it online. But maybe there really is a market for her innovation.
fatluvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #716
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatluvinguy View Post
I've been using a Bi-pap machine for the last 6 months now, and i'm in the category of being a slow adjuster, but I think to some extent after trying different masks and my own innovations i'm doing better.

I'm curious about your comment about mouth breathing. The doctor and people i've dealt with don't seem to think that's a problem and just gave me recommedations for helping with the dry mouth issue. (nothing has really worked so far.) The important thing at the end of the day is my sleep apnea, which was pretty severe is under control. I don't know if I could adapt to anything that forcibly closed my mouth at night. Some would like to see my mouth forcibly closed all the time, by I digress. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that issue.
Been a CPAP user for years and dry mouth is a big sign of your mouth being open. I have just a nasal pillow, just goes into my nose and the only time I seem to go open mouthed is when I am congested. Doesn't just mean runny sinuses but when your inflamed. The air being forced into your nose comes out your mouth.

There is a chinstrap (just a simple vlecroed band that goes under your jaw), should be available at where ever you get cpap supplies. It does not force your mouth closed but supports the chin is that makes sense. It might be worth a try, if your aren't getting a good seal then you wont get all the benefits.

I would also try a decongestant.... that might help.

Getting used to the CPAP/BIPAP is an ordeal but a life saver!
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #717
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatluvinguy View Post
That's what I told my wife. I tried the liners and they were just a waste of money, so she fashioned one herself out of spare material and it seems to be working pretty good. Still needs some minor improvements, but I don't have issues with mask leaks and problems with marks on my nose have gone away. It's actually attached to the mask by the way, so it stays in place I was joking with her that she should perfect her design and sell it online. But maybe there really is a market for her innovation.
Check EBAY - there are a ton of different types of products people hand manufacture to make CPAPs more comfortable.

I have made 100% all cotton flannel padded strap covers. They are lined with all cotton batting. Helps to keep the straps from leaving marks on the face, also can help make the mask more snug without feeling confined.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:06 AM   #718
willomk1

willomk1 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeswillomk1 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

For my wife and i the caps machine was a god send. After a viral infection she developed night time incontinence,which if your a large lady was so hard to cope with.The doctor though sleep apnoea and she went for testing. She was indeed and we got the machine or huffer puffer as we call it.At first without humidifier it was nose bleed central but with it it stopped the incontinence and shes now according to the manufactures very compliant lol.
So stick with it if you can.
willomk1 is offline   Reply With Quote