Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Steak and a blowtorch?

Does anyone here do sous vide cooking? Fighting with myself over if I should get one. I'd need the heater, the vacuum sealer (some say you don't need that) and a blow torch attachment for searing. I've heard meat like roasts come out really good with sous vide.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never tried it. It's always seemed interesting to me tho.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #3
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Never liked meat cooked with a gas flame.Not only can I taste the difference To me it makes the meat get really tough.
I knew the would be a vegan come in here to tell you not to eat meat.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii View Post
Maybe not, since the first recipe they tout on that webpage is for 'cranberry-apricot glazed chicken.'
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meal5 View Post
Steak is not good for your health, so you are looking for other healthy dinner ideas
Dude, screw you and the website you made that account to advertise. Also one of the recipes on there is beef kabobs. So I guess steak gets healthier when you cut it into cubes?
Quote:
Never liked meat cooked with a gas flame.Not only can I taste the difference To me it makes the meat get really tough.
Gas grilling is not the same as a propane torch. It doesn't make the meat tough because it's only searing the very outside. It's more like high temperature charcoal cooking than a gas grill. The reason you use a blow torch is because the temperature (>1500f) is higher than you can get at home by any other method. That means you can crust the outside of the meat so fast that there is not heat transfer to the middle of the steak. You don't get that tough grey ring of overcooked meat, just a seared outside crust and a perfectly rare inside.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/u...n-ribeyes.html

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 07-07-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Removed link to now deleted post
dwesterny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I removed the spammy post and the link in your response, dw.

Meal5, if you're here just to post links to sites contrary to the subject matter at hand, you won't be here long.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Does anyone here do sous vide cooking? Fighting with myself over if I should get one. I'd need the heater, the vacuum sealer (some say you don't need that) and a blow torch attachment for searing. I've heard meat like roasts come out really good with sous vide.
I'd never heard of sous vide before your post. (OK, I'm not an Epicure, just a mundane foodie.)

From my little bit of reading it looks like you could pan sear the meat to get the Maillard reaction (or "browning") instead of using a torch. And in my area you can snag a used Foodsaver on Craigslist or at a garage sale to vacuum bag the food for heating. (I think I paid about $15 for mine at a G-sale, with lots of bag stock.) While the torch may be great theatrical performance art at a restaurant, I'd be curious how the flavoring from the higher temp flame compares to the pan searing approach. And some websites recommend searing the meat before cooking, others after.

I look forward to trying this. But since I'm currently cooking for one, I'm going to have to wait for a couple more weeks until my wife returns home. I don't want to make a roast just for myself. But it will give us lots more options for home cooking instead of going out to eat.

Last edited by HereticFA; 07-08-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: changed 'boiling' to 'heating'.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
A gas flame shouldn't make that much of a difference. A gas stove does take a slightly different technique than electric to get similar results. And professional chefs usually prefer gas stoves so most restaurants use gas stoves, ovens and flat tops. (And gas is usually cheaper than electric to produce an equivalent amount of BTUs of heat.)

Was it just the over done nature of the meat or did you detect an additional flavor that was off-putting?
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote