Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The 2016-2017 NHL Thread

I don't think Matt has started one for this year yet, and the puck drops on the regular season tonight so ...

... erm, well, with the Senators and Jets as my first and second teams, I'm not expecting a whole lot, but I hope there will at least be some pleasant surprises. I will be listening to at least parts of tonight's game. (Ditched our cable some years back, so hardly get to watch any games on the tube anymore). Maybe we'll try and get out to a game or two this year, it has been a while -- then again we can go to watch major-junior which is usually more exciting, more unpredictable, and is closer and much cheaper.

Maybe I should have left this thread to Matt to start

Oh, I know there is one thing I'm looking forward to: I'm hoping that P.K. Subban in specific and the Nashville Predators in general make Montreal look like complete idiots for that trade. I'd generally defend Karlson as the best defenseman in the league, but if Subban has a career year and wins the Norris I won't mind at all (this year).
Old 11-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Pattie Vincent

Pattie Vincent can now change their title

I was so busy with baseball that I was able to follow hockey yet - it's time to start doing so!
Pattie Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The Senators have a bizarrely good record so far, given that they haven't really been outplaying people, from what I've listened to and read. I fear that they are just about that point where Wile E Coyote looks down and realizes that he's running on air, and only then falls. But I hope that they have gotten better at lots of little, less visible, things and can keep the success rolling.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

A kind of dead thread this year, but I thought I'd give it a kick before the end of the season:

- looking like five Canadian team in the playoffs this year most likely

- including Toronto(!) and Edmonton (!!!!) who have both been absent for a while.

- The west is bizarre this year, with 8 teams in the playoffs, then a ten point gap before the highest rated non-playoff team.

- Wow the Metropolitan division looks tough! Assuming they don't beat each other to death in the divisional rounds, have to think they are favorites to meet Chicago in the final, but we'll see.

- I was hoping that Ottawa would face Boston in the first round, but it is looking to more likely be the Leafs. Ugh! We always have too many Leafs fans in the arena when playing Toronto, making it not really feel like a home game. Also as a young, re-building team that wasn't expected to make the play-offs, the Leafs are really in the 'nothing to lose' stage, which is always dangerous for the other team in that equation.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Playoffs! Playoffs with Canadian teams involved this year!!! (and if Ottawa and Montreal can beat Boston and the Rangers, respectively, then there would be a guarantee of at least one Canadian team in the third round).

I'm obviously excited to have the Senators back in the play-offs, but while a lot of their injured players are going to be back, I really don't believe that most of them are anywhere near 100%. Stone hasn't looked the same since he came back, I think Karlson has a foot or ankle injury that will be slowing him down and limiting his minutes, Methot probably isn't even back for the start of the series ... although Boston is dealing with injuries to two of their top defense, too. The series may come down to which goalie can bail their team out the better. So I'm hoping for an Ottawa win, and think they have a fair shot, but I'm far from confident.

I expect Toronto to get schooled by Washington, but that is probably the best thing for their continued development as a young, re-building, team. See what a top team in playoff mode looks like, and feel the burn of desire to get there.

Montreal and the Rangers could go either way, but I'm not inclined to bet against a healthy Price.

The other eastern series is Pittsburgh and Columbus. Pittsburgh has home ice advantage and has an incredible home record this year, and Crosby at his best is awfully hard to stop, so I'd give them the edge.

I don't know the Calgary, Edmonton, or the rest of the western teams well enough to have an opinion there.

Anyone else with playoffs thoughts?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
AmandaLynn
cake, lots & lots of cake

AmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions community

At a local bar watching the Ranger vs. Canadiens game. Its funny, usually hockey is an after thought here, but the place is packed tonight. I am not very familiar with the sport other than the few times I've seen the IceGators at the Cajundome, but this looks intense.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

As a Canadian, I'm glad that two Canadian teams made it into the second round, and that Edmonton won game one of their series last night.

But mostly I'm just hyped that the Sens are in the second round. Will be interesting to see how this series with the Rangers goes -- Rangers had a better regular season record, and have one of the very best goaltenders in the league, two things I'd normally consider to make them favorites. But the match ups between these two teams this year have been close, Ottawa's goaltending isn't half-bad either, and Ottawa has Eric Karlson -- even with a couple of hairline fractures in his heel he can be a game breaker.

I'm far more excited by this series than the one with Boston, for whatever reason.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
AmandaLynn

AmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAmandaLynn is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
As a Canadian, I'm glad that two Canadian teams made it into the second round, and that Edmonton won game one of their series last night.

But mostly I'm just hyped that the Sens are in the second round. Will be interesting to see how this series with the Rangers goes -- Rangers had a better regular season record, and have one of the very best goaltenders in the league, two things I'd normally consider to make them favorites. But the match ups between these two teams this year have been close, Ottawa's goaltending isn't half-bad either, and Ottawa has Eric Karlson -- even with a couple of hairline fractures in his heel he can be a game breaker.

I'm far more excited by this series than the one with Boston, for whatever reason.

I am going out with some friends to watch later.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #9
Tad
mostly harmless

Sorry-not-sorry if you all were disappointed in the ending. Although I think it was a very entertaining game that could have gone either way very easily.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
AmandaLynn

Quote:
Sorry-not-sorry if you all were disappointed in the ending. Although I think it was a very entertaining game that could have gone either way very easily.
I had a good time last night. I am new to the sport I have not made any commitments in terms of fan support yet. It was really entertaining. The place was busy last night, between the Yankees vs. Boston which is kind of a big deal so I've been told and the NFL draft.

My Saints drafted a guy I never heard of, but those Ohio State guys can usually play. More interesting the local NY Jets drafted a Jamal Adams from LSU. Great guy, I knew him personally when I was there and worked for the AD. He's a player.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

I am really not much of a hockey fan, when the Whalers left, I stopped following the sport except for college hockey. But I was at Belmont Park yesterday to see the Kentucky Derby, and I go into a bar where the Senators Rangers game was on. It was Overtime, and I am down to my hockey interest being only anti-Rangers. So the bar is filled with Rangers fans who were mildly upset when the goal was called off for high sticking, and quite visably saddened when the Senators scored to win. I, however, was quite pleased with the result.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Tad
mostly harmless

Man, I'm wishing Washington had taken out Pittsburgh, as a Sens fan I'm not looking forward to this match up .... that said, got through most of a period without being torn apart; so far, so good.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Maybe I should have left this thread to Matt to start
Matt went a few playoff games and they lost all of them, except for Game 6 against Pitt which I will be forever grateful to myself for going. I couldn't get my hockey friends to go, so I actually bought a ticket and went alone. Too bad my heart was ripped out in double overtime in Game 7, but it was such an awesome run. 2007 still hurts worse.

I had a ticket for the game against the Rangers that Pageau scored 4 goals, but had to bail out due to being sick unfortunately.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote