Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #2601
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Go Class action, maybe?

So sorry to hear that
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #2602
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think only one other person is apt to still be owed significant money. But I should contact him.

ETA: I also now rather desperately want to achieve food coma status so that I my brain will stop churning around this thought. Or possibly dive into a junky novel or play a bunch of fast paced video games, but I'm pretty sure that the food coma is my preferred choice right now.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #2603
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sorry to hear about that Tad, I got downsized (figuratively, not literally) on July 1st and received a decent package that has given me the summer off, plus extra time to re-evaluate what I want to do next. Anyone who remembers my old posts about my job should know there was no sadness when it happened. A lot happened in the last year or so since I disappeared from Dims, and one thing was something I expected a long time ago. The company got sold earlier this year to a massive corp who said that "nothing would change for the foreseeable future", with the predictable results.

Anyways, back on topic. What's pissing me off today is caffeine withdrawal. Ever since I've been off, my immune system has been out of whack so I'm trying to readjust everything. I even had a summer cold a few weeks ago.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #2604
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Matt, sounded from all that you'd written that you were maybe ready for something fresh? I know I was, and I should have looked sooner ... part of what had kept me hanging on at the old place was the idea of how much severance they'd owe me, and how I could probably bank a lot of it once I found another job. Well, I think I doubled up for about three weeks, which was not worth how long I hung on, I think, but what is done is done. My only real regret is that being under the gun for finding a new job, I accepted something something out in the Kanata North Industrial Park, which is is not only much farther of a commute but is also a pretty boring, sterile, place. I've been spoiled for the last ten years by being able to go out the building at lunch and actually having stuff around me, not just parking lots and office buildings (and one strip mall)
Old 08-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #2605
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yeah, maybe I should have left sooner. I left on good terms, got recommendations, etc. I'm ready for the change finally, but I really wanted to take advantage of the freedom for awhile as it may well be my last chance to take time off before retiring someday. Not a great summer to be off, but other than a few hiccups here and there I have been able to get a lot of stuff around the house done.

I can't rule out staying in my industry as that would be foolish, but I'm really craving something different.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #2606
Tad
mostly harmless

The good news is that there seems to be a fair bit of hiring going on around the city. Not trusting all these new fangled job summarizing sites, I also looked at every company in Kanata North Industrial Park, and if they did anything that seemed like it might have a job for me I went looking for the careers page on their website. A couple didn't have such a page, but the rest all did and only one did not have at least one position listed. They weren't all good positions, or of interest to me, but the contrast to the last time I was hunting in 2005 was dramatic (nobody wanted to openly admit to hiring or they'd get avalanched by applications).

(I did also go through the new fangled careers sites, Linkedin, etc, but it was a position I identified by the method above that I ended up taking)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #2607
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

My enabler-mother is driving me absolutely, stark-raving nuts. On Thursday night, she has a big fight with the Old Man about how things simply can't go on this way. She tells him that she's going to an Al-Anon meeting with me and my grandmother on Sunday. This fight has been had so many times. Nothing changes.

Then, on Friday, she hides all the alcohol and threatens to monitor him as he quits cold-turkey. Brightest idea I've ever heard. He pretends to quit. Zero withdrawal. It's magic, didn't you know. She didn't even monitor him worth a damn.

Today, they go out to a WINE FARM and both get plastered. IF she even goes to this Al-Anon meeting tomorrow, she'll probably be all "woe is me."

It's incredible. The woman is an absolute ninja at mental acrobatics. I'd be laughing my ass off at the ludicrousness if I weren't so utterly exasperated.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #2608
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm ready for fall but I am pissed summer has passed so quickly. I'm being forced to move so I will be unsettled during my time of the year..... Halloween is my favorite and this year will mark a full year without my guy.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:15 AM   #2609
Tad
mostly harmless

Sorry that you are having to move at this point. Here's hoping that the season helps make the move more invigorating than draining.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #2610
Kompliziert
Complicated

Kompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going on

I'm pissed off that my ******* ex-landlord refuses to give me any of my deposit back after he bought the place, forced us out, and then never contacted us ever. He wrote up some ******** charges and then sent a flippant, snarky e-mail only after I threatened to bring it to court if he didn't contact me back. What a ******* *******!!! Buhhh!
Kompliziert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #2611
Kompliziert
Complicated

Kompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going onKompliziert knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
I'm ready for fall but I am pissed summer has passed so quickly. I'm being forced to move so I will be unsettled during my time of the year..... Halloween is my favorite and this year will mark a full year without my guy.
I'm sorry you have to go through that, having to move against your will sucks!!! I just had to go through it and it ended up costing me an arm and a leg, took my small savings fund and maxed out my credit card while only putting me under so much stress that I ended up losing my job.

I hope things go very smoothly and fortunately for you during this stressful time. I hope there will be some silver linings for you; with me, I now live in a place that is waaay more beautiful and awesome, and I'm happy to come home every day.
Kompliziert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #2612
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kompliziert View Post
I'm pissed off that my ******* ex-landlord refuses to give me any of my deposit back after he bought the place, forced us out, and then never contacted us ever. He wrote up some ******** charges and then sent a flippant, snarky e-mail only after I threatened to bring it to court if he didn't contact me back. What a ******* *******!!! Buhhh!
I donít know about Fla. but in Tx. it is against the law for a landlord to take your deposit without giving you an itemized accounting of what it was used for and why. In Tx. a landlord cannot charge you for anything considered normal wear and tear such as new paint or carpets. Only for legit damages to the property. Iím currently engaged in a legal issue with my former landlord over just that. He doesnít realize the rules here are different than they are in his home country. Heíll find out very soon though!!
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #2613
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm pissed at a certain fluffy Mr Frankie because he asked me to cash him ousside and now he's refusing to come back in. Excuse me, sir, it's 3 AM. Some of us need to be up again at 6.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #2614
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Matt, sounded from all that you'd written that you were maybe ready for something fresh? I know I was, and I should have looked sooner ... part of what had kept me hanging on at the old place was the idea of how much severance they'd owe me, and how I could probably bank a lot of it once I found another job. Well, I think I doubled up for about three weeks, which was not worth how long I hung on, I think, but what is done is done. My only real regret is that being under the gun for finding a new job, I accepted something something out in the Kanata North Industrial Park, which is is not only much farther of a commute but is also a pretty boring, sterile, place. I've been spoiled for the last ten years by being able to go out the building at lunch and actually having stuff around me, not just parking lots and office buildings (and one strip mall)
Ah, Kanata North, soulless home of the IT worker drones!

But, there are lots of well-paid jobs, so ....

Are you driving to work, Tad, or taking the bus, or doing the long-haul bicycle paths?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #2615
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
I'm pissed at a certain fluffy Mr Frankie because he asked me to cash him ousside and now he's refusing to come back in. Excuse me, sir, it's 3 AM. Some of us need to be up again at 6.

He looks like a trouble maker.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #2616
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
Ah, Kanata North, soulless home of the IT worker drones!

But, there are lots of well-paid jobs, so ....

Are you driving to work, Tad, or taking the bus, or doing the long-haul bicycle paths?
Correct, and correct.

And yes, yes, and yes (so far biking 2-3 days a week, sometimes biking one way and using rack-and-roll to bus the other way, occasionally just taking the bus, and driving 1-2 days a week).

As the weather gets colder and they take the bike racks off the buses, the biking will fade out for the season, and I'll have to make the hard decision on how much I bus vs how much I drive.
- Since I'm going against the worst of the traffic flows I can generally drive in 20 minutes, while the bus is a ten minute walk and forty minute bus ride plus any waiting time, so the car is a lot faster.
- The car gives me somewhat more flexibility in my timing, although there are fairly regular buses for me.
- I figure driving costs me 3-3.50 in gas, plus car wear and tear, while going by single rides costs 6.70 for the day. So the car is some amount cheaper, (less so if I take the bus every day and get a monthly pass)
- I don't particularly enjoy driving, I don't like being a wasteful single driver commuter, and loathe sitting in traffic. On the other hand I enjoy the walk to/from the transitway and once on the bus I can read, doze, people-watch, or read Dimensions on my phone -- all things I enjoy!

Most likely I'll take the bus on bad weather days when traffic will be a mess, and a day or two in a week otherwise, and drive the rest. But no final decision yet.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #2617
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odffa View Post
cash him ousside]

how bow wow?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #2618
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

Red face Let the world partake of my parenting fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
He looks like a trouble maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
how bow wow?
You guessed it. And of course the internet fame has gone completely to his head. Matter of fact, the little shit's keeping me up right now. Should've never given him this platform.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #2619
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
You guessed it. And of course the internet fame has gone completely to his head. Matter of fact, the little shit's keeping me up right now. Should've never given him this platform.
The problem always is - if you're that cute, you can pull of anything.

Ask our former cat.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #2620
Tad
mostly harmless

Wife is at home dealing with new windows being installed. Sales guy had come, figured out how the installation would be handled and done initial measurements. Follow up measuring guy had come and re-measured everything.

Installers come and conclude that the installation can't be done in the way that was planned, the 95 year old, ~4" wide solid wood trim around the windows has to be pried off (destroying it in the process), and one of the windows is mis-sized.

ETA: and of course the rain that was supposed to be a possibility starting mid-afternoon started mid-morning instead, delaying a lot of the window work probably. Driving me to distraction being at work instead of at home to see how things are going. I know I wouldn't be of any help or change anything, my wife has this all in hand, but still, grmphlaggle!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #2621
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Were they like oh it will be $$$$ extra?
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #2622
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Correct, and correct.

And yes, yes, and yes (so far biking 2-3 days a week, sometimes biking one way and using rack-and-roll to bus the other way, occasionally just taking the bus, and driving 1-2 days a week).

As the weather gets colder and they take the bike racks off the buses, the biking will fade out for the season, and I'll have to make the hard decision on how much I bus vs how much I drive.
- Since I'm going against the worst of the traffic flows I can generally drive in 20 minutes, while the bus is a ten minute walk and forty minute bus ride plus any waiting time, so the car is a lot faster.
- The car gives me somewhat more flexibility in my timing, although there are fairly regular buses for me.
- I figure driving costs me 3-3.50 in gas, plus car wear and tear, while going by single rides costs 6.70 for the day. So the car is some amount cheaper, (less so if I take the bus every day and get a monthly pass)
- I don't particularly enjoy driving, I don't like being a wasteful single driver commuter, and loathe sitting in traffic. On the other hand I enjoy the walk to/from the transitway and once on the bus I can read, doze, people-watch, or read Dimensions on my phone -- all things I enjoy!
$3-3.50 in gas, so double that for wear/tear/depreciation on the car, making the bus and the car about the same price. (Are you getting free parking at work?? I notice you don't quote a parking charge. Benefit of working at a company so far out in the 'burbs?)

If you rarely or never drove to work, you could cut your car insurance cost (probably in half), by having the car only insured for leisure - but that would cut your flexibility too.

And I have to agree that sitting in traffic is such a waste of time, when one could be reading/studying/dozing/planning/people watching/doing crossword puzzles on the bus!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #2623
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
$3-3.50 in gas, so double that for wear/tear/depreciation on the car, making the bus and the car about the same price. (Are you getting free parking at work?? I notice you don't quote a parking charge. Benefit of working at a company so far out in the 'burbs?)

If you rarely or never drove to work, you could cut your car insurance cost (probably in half), by having the car only insured for leisure - but that would cut your flexibility too.

And I have to agree that sitting in traffic is such a waste of time, when one could be reading/studying/dozing/planning/people watching/doing crossword puzzles on the bus!
Nobody pays for parking out here. (and the parking lots are generally much larger than they need to be, too. The amount of asphalt over what could be green space really bugs me.) Which of course just encourages more car commuting (and given the back-ups on March Road .... they should stop encouraging that)

I've not actually told my insurance agent about the change of work situation -- it has been so long since I drove to work with any frequency that I'd actually forgotten all about that. Oops! Well, I can claim with some justice that so far that I'm not regularly driving. But I will get on that.

Were my trip reversed it would include a lot more traffic jams and likely some sort of fee for parking, and the bus would be a slam dunk better solution. Right now I want it to be the better solution, but I feel like I have to add quite a bit of 'public good' to the equation to make it tip to the bus's favour :-/
Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #2624
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

The institution I'm looking to study at part-time next year has an absolutely horrible track record when it comes to responding to queries from (prospective) students. The phone just rings, plus they've managed to ignore 2 emails and a Whatsapp from me. Their Facebook page is littered with people complaining about this. And they're essentially my only option in Cape Town for what I want to study.

I can't resist the temptation to say.... this feels all too South African
Old 10-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #2625
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

There are bees in my apartment - I am torn about smashing them with a broom or being a kind gentle person and shooing them out the door.... The broom is winning.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mad, pissed