Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #1851
fat9276

fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.fat9276 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I read The Long Walk earlier this year. It's pretty bleak, definitely macabre, and lacks some of the polish of King's later works, but it's really fucking good.

I feel like he's more a master of the short story rather than the novel- he tends to lose the thread a bit in a lot of his longer works- but "1408", "The Raft", "The Jaunt", and quite a few other shorts pack one hell of a punch and end before he can spin off into weirdness that doesn't fit.
Yeah, he does tend to go off on weird tangents. My brother in law once said he couldn't end a novel to save his life haha. I also agree his short stories are better and so good. A lot of people do not even realize Shawshank Redemption is an adaptation from one of them (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption).
fat9276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #1852
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just recently started "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. If you grew up in the 80s and especially if you grew up as a nerd in the 80s, you may enjoy this. In brief in a dystopian near future, the world's biggest treasure hunt is all based on having an encyclopedic knowledge of 80s pop culture and nerd culture. So far serious shout outs to the Dungeons and Dragons adventure "Tomb of Horrors," the arcade video game "Joust" and the movie "War Games," among tons of more casual references.

Whether or not it is any good as a novel I'm not sure yet, but I'm having fun reading it for sure
Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #1853
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Robert M. Pirsig

Dusted off an old, moldy copy sitting on shelf I haven't even looked at in a while. Old books, from another life, when I was still collecting them, taking them and passing them on among school friends. The inscription bringing back memories, of relations since past.
Good choice and a great book. I still have my copy from my college days.

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #1854
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

I am also reading Steven Kings IT in light of the movie coming out! This is my first time reading it though I have seen the tv mini series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #1855
Heavy_Cream

Heavy_Cream can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesHeavy_Cream can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

"Love Letters To The Monkees".
Pretty funny!

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Letters-...to+the+monkees

Does anybody else here like to listen to The Monkees or watch their TV show?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #1856
BurgerMePlease

BurgerMePlease can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBurgerMePlease can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm about halfway through Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. It's not something I would normally read but thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #1857
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

After skipping it for a couple of years, doing a day-by-day reading of Roger Zelazney's "A Night in the Lonesome October" again. We had a tradition going for a few years prior to that break. We are all enjoying doing it again. The book is narrated by Snuff, dog of Jack (probably 'the Ripper'), documenting their efforts to save the world. With appearances from most of the characters of Victorian gothic horror (plus 'The Great Detective'). One of my favorite pieces of writing anywhere.

And on my own I just finished the contemporary fantasy novel "Flex" which, IDK, had some interesting world building but the characters and plot just didn't live up to that in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #1858
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm almost done with "Sherlock Holmes vs Cthulhu: The Adventure of the Deadly Dimensions" by Lois Gresh.

Holmes & Watson battle a cult of Dagon worshippers! A crazy premise but it's a fun book.

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #1859
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Skye fan View Post
I'm almost done with "Sherlock Holmes vs Cthulhu: The Adventure of the Deadly Dimensions" by Lois Gresh.

Holmes & Watson battle a cult of Dagon worshippers! A crazy premise but it's a fun book.
I read "The Holmes-Dracula File" in high school, then when I returned to college. It's a different spin on the Holmes fiction.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #1860
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Deserves to Die by Lisa Jackson

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote