Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Fit & Fat: what works for you?

There are more general threads on this board about favorite work outs and such, but here I'm looking more specifically at what fat people here do to stay in shape. There are obviously some unique challenges that come in to play the larger one is -- but maybe even some bonuses in that what may be simple exercises for someone smaller may be much more vigorous work-outs for somebody heavier and larger. So please provide some info if you can about why certain activities are good ones for you, and anything that other bigger folk my benefit from knowing.

So please share, and hopefully people can get some inspiration and ideas from this thread too.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Walking....is free, essential and easy enough with some good shoes

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I enjoy walking also. It's mostly a fall and winter activity for me though and I totally agree, good shoes are a must!
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

If you can walk, you can dance! My wife and I were looking for some sort of exercise we could share, but outdoor activities were out: she's allergic to virtually everything that grows here. Ballroom dancing is done indoors, however, with air conditioning to filter the nasties out. You can regulate the intensity of the exercise by sitting out a dance every so often, and you meet a lot of really nice people.

Yoga is something else to consider. It builds strength, flexibility, and balance, and there are books (and instructors) especially for fat people!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I do occasionally go out to the living and play Dance Revolution on the Wii with my daughters- really gets the heart going and it's great fun!

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
plushkitty

plushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 club

I enjoy yoga, it's sufficiently low-impact to be gentle on my joints and skin (I have some painful skin problems that get much worse with chafing) yet still good for strength, balance, and my mood. I was lucky enough to find a yoga instructor in my town who has a background in exercise physiology and anatomy. She has instructed very fat people before and knows the ins and outs of how to modify certain poses for large thighs and bellies.

In warm weather I love to swim! Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership, so I can only swim in summer and early fall. I feel so much more graceful and free in the water.
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For me biking and walking are my primary aerobic activities, and while I'm not huge I'm big enough to have some thoughts that might help some others.

With biking, a belly gets in the way. If you bend over much then your thighs are pushing against it, and it can even get so crunched up that it is hard to breath well. I moved away from road-bikes (with the drop handle-bars) years ago, and through trial and error have found the following helps to open up the angle between torso and legs to make more belly space:
- I go up one frame size from what is recommended for my height
- I slide the seat as far forward as it can go (most seats are mounted on two metal bars which get held by a clamp. You can loosen the clamp and slide the seat)
- Get a bike with adjustable handlebars (height and angle) which I play around with to bring up higher.

The overall result is a straighter body, slightly leaned forward against the handlebars compared to the usual posture, but it minimizes belly issues for me.

Also I really make use of my gears, so that I'm not over-straining my legs, knees, or bike when starting up or going up hills.

For walking good shoes and stretching are a must! I had some issues with 'heel spurs' at one point and knee issues at another, and both times better footwear and more stretching helped control the issue. I suspect that the heavier you are, the more these matter, because you have more weight landing with each step.
- Shoes with good cushioning will obviously help reduce impact.
- The stretching matters because loose muscles and tendons will also let the body naturally absorb more of the impact than will tight ones.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Allow me to join the choir....walking, walking, and more walking. I actually caught myself breaking in to a jog yesterday during my walk.
ScreamingChicken is offline   Reply With Quote