Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #26
texasdreamer

texasdreamer has said some nice things
Default fried green beans and feta

Fried green beans have become a staple for me in the past year. I throw a bag of frozen green beans in a bit of olive oil and let em simmer on medium for a about ten minutes covered the turn up the heat and uncover em. Season them with a seasoned steak salt and sprinkle with feta...Lord its good?
texasdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamer View Post
Fried green beans have become a staple for me in the past year. I throw a bag of frozen green beans in a bit of olive oil and let em simmer on medium for a about ten minutes covered the turn up the heat and uncover em. Season them with a seasoned steak salt and sprinkle with feta...Lord its good?
My husband, a Southerner, loves fried green beans, though I've only made them fried in bacon grease, which is too greasy. I'm going to try them your way; thanks for the idea!

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #28
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One of our favorite ways to eat green beans lately is to steam them in a pan, then in a separate fry pan, cook sliced sweet onions in olive oil, when they're almost translucent, add some bacon bits, then add some red wine vinegar (or apple cider) and some sugar, blend together then add the (drained) steamed green beans, stir it all up and serve right away. I'm not sure of the vinegar and sugar amounts since I always eyeball it based on the amount of beans I cook. For the two of us it might be about 1-2 tbs of vinegar to 1 tbs sugar.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I just realized this thread was here. Sometimes I am so bad at seeing what is right in front of my face!
Anyhow.....
I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that I subscribe to Cooking Light magazine and they always have tons of healthy recipes and good tasting ones too! I've made so many of them that I got from the magazine over the years and have never been disappointed! They have it all from snacks to desserts to complete meal menus. You might want to check it out.

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #30
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

One thing I have majorly started to love:

Lettuce wraps. Stuff in homemade "refried" beans or avocado and spinach and tomato and peppers. I don't like anything that dirties extra dishes.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #31
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not a recipe, but I have a rice cooker and I make a batch of brown rice and add it to things like soup, or frozen dinners that have rice, or need it. I take out the white rice and add the brown. Or for those dinners that don't have any rice but need it, I add my rice. Just did that for brunch. Had a yellow chicken curry with green beans and red peppers frozen meal, and I cooked that and added the brown rice to it. That with a small bowl of blackberries and some yogurt on top, and some iced green tea, was a good meal.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie S-R View Post
We found a great recipe for Pepper Lime Chicken in Sunset Magazine, that Guy and I love, and is definitely a healthy recipe.

Pepper Lime Chicken

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 limes (juiced) or 4 Tbls lime juice
1+1/2 Tbls ground pepper (I have also used lemon pepper)
1 Tbls Sugar (you may substitute Splenda)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1 Tbls Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in bowl, submerge 2 chicken breasts in liquid. Marinate in refridgerator (covered) for 30-45 minutes. Grill 4-5 minutes in each side and serve.

I've made this a couple of times now, just wanted to say thanks for posting the recipe! I am not super fond of pepper, so I only use one teaspoon and let my husband add more at the table to his. I added some garlic to the whole mix and since we don't have a grill, I bake it in the oven with chunks of sweet onion and the marinade. It's so moist, so yummy... still haven't figured out the best side dishes to accompany this, but I'm working on it. There's a mango salsa cous cous on the market I've had an impossible time finding since moving to Cleveland, I think that or perhaps mexican rice, corn with peppers.. anyway, the marinade's awesome.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hey Tina...I've been doing that with the brown rice too. Make a big dish of it (it lasts forever in the fridge), and it becomes very easy to make a quick stir fry / fried rice sort of dish...of course with just a bit of olive oil and whatever vegetables I have on hand.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this dish, as it's become one of my favorite go - to meals. It has a definite comfort food quality to it.

Chicken Pueblo

A one pot chicken meal

In a large frying pan…with a smidge of olive oil,
Brown your chicken pieces on both sides.
I generally use 3 legs & 3 thighs…you can use any combo/quantity of chicken pieces you want, skinless or not, it’s all good.

Drain off any excess fat.

Add to pot
1 can of diced green chili’s
1 can of white (cannellini) beans, including the liquid
a couple chopped jalapeno’s with or without seeds (I use about 1/2 the seeds, gives some nice heat)
4 – 6 cloves of chopped garlic.
2 cups chicken broth (if you have it, if not, water)
Salt and pepper

Simmer for 40 minutes.

Add 1 cup of rice.

Simmer another 20minutes.

You can also add a can of artichoke hearts to this, and it is good, but not mandatory.

---------------------------------------
And this one has become my favorite basic thing to stock in the fridge. It's very versatile...you can eat it as is, or add lettuce for a bigger salad, or add some pasta for a pasta salad, or use it as a salsa, or add it to a bean burrito, it's all good. I always feel very healthy after having it as a snack!

Pepper and Garbanzo Bean Salad

Quantities given are for either a small or a large batch. I suggest the large batch, cause it’s addictive and keeps well!

2 – 4 Peppers , small dice If possible, use all four colors…red, yellow, orange and green
1 – 2 Jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, with or without seeds
3 – 6 stalks of celery, with leaves if possible, small dice
½ - 1 bunch of green onions, finely chopped (red onion would probably be fine too)
1 – 3 cans of canned garbanzo beans, drained

Dressing
Juice of 1 or 2 limes
Equal amount of grapeseed oil (I’m sure other oils would be fine)
About ½ - 1 ½ t cumin, to taste
Salt and pepper

Whisk dressing together and pour over salad. Keep refrigerated.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #34
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

That looks so good, Janelle. Thanks for posting the recipe.

And yeah, it's amazing how long the rice keeps in the fridge. It's about time for me to make another pot

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #35
Fairest Epic

Fairest Epic can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFairest Epic can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFairest Epic can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

hrmm not all that healthy, but it's a way to reduce caloried in a cake...wehn youre not making it from scratch anyway...

1 box of cake mix + 1 can of diet sprite (or an equivalent)...bake normally...and tada
Fairest Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Everbody talks about the benefits of eating dark green vegetables, but I found most of them -- collards, mustard, chard -- hard to like, until I learned to stir-fry them in a Tbsp of oil (I prefer peanut or olive oil, since they're monounsaturates). Season with salt, pepper, and tabasco, and toss in some bacon bits if you like (I prefer it without). Surprising!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Everbody talks about the benefits of eating dark green vegetables, but I found most of them -- collards, mustard, chard -- hard to like, until I learned to stir-fry them in a Tbsp of oil (I prefer peanut or olive oil, since they're monounsaturates). Season with salt, pepper, and tabasco, and toss in some bacon bits if you like (I prefer it without). Surprising!

This actually sounds good....and reminds me of how they are seasoned with fatback or bacon here in the south while they are cooked
I do suspect your version is much healthier.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #38
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Here's a healthy recipe I've been meaning to try for a while but haven't gotten around to yet.It's supposed to be a side dish but I don't see why you couldn't make it the main meal especially if you're a vegetarian or just trying to eat less meat in general.It seems tasty...I looove chickpeas and spinach... simple to make and easy to modify.

Greek Chickpeas & Spinach

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups precooked chickpeas or 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons fresh dill weed, finely chopped
1/2 lb. fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
1. Using a large frying pan, sauté onion and garlic in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas and dill. Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add the spinach, a little at a time. Drizzle lemon juice over all ingredients and cover with lid.
4. Cook 5 minutes or until the spinach shrinks. Stir to combine. Serve hot.

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.”
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #39
amyintx

amyintx has said some nice things

I keep several bags of frozen veggies in my freezer at all times for one of my favorite quick meals. I throw some olive oil in a pan and add a boatload of peas, greenbeans, corn. Cook on medium, covered, salt and pepper and season to taste. In the last five minutes cook on high uncovered and the bottom veggies are crispy and crunchy. You can add things like goat cheese or the like but I like em plain.
amyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #40
TropicalFish

TropicalFish can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTropicalFish can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

This is one of my favorite recipes. If you use low sodium chicken broth and not too much dark meat, this recipe is very healthy. Throw in some veggies if ya like!

Roasted Chicken with Risotto and Caramelized Onions

INGREDIENTS

* 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 7 cups hot chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions and saute for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions are a dark golden brown. Remove from heat, stir in the balsamic vinegar and set aside.

2. Heat the remaining oil in a separate large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the rice and mix well. Let heat for about 2 minutes, then pour in the wine. Reduce heat to medium low and start pouring in the broth about 1 cup at a time. Add more broth as each cup is absorbed. Continue in this manner until all the broth is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 20 minutes.

3. Stir in the reserved onion mixture and allow to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish each serving with fresh thyme.
TropicalFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #41
ashishverma011

ashishverma011 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie S-R View Post
We found a great recipe for Pepper Lime Chicken in Sunset Magazine, that Guy and I love, and is definitely a healthy recipe.

Pepper Lime Chicken

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 limes (juiced) or 4 Tbls lime juice
1+1/2 Tbls ground pepper (I have also used lemon pepper)
1 Tbls Sugar (you may substitute Splenda)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1 Tbls Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in bowl, submerge 2 chicken breasts in liquid. Marinate in refridgerator (covered) for 30-45 minutes. Grill 4-5 minutes in each side and serve.
This sounds really yum and a quick one. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.
ashishverma011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:09 AM   #42
Rahul123

Rahul123 has said some nice things

Fried potatoes, chicken and milk...wow, yummy.
Rahul123 is offline   Reply With Quote