Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
John Smith

John Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot pics
Default "Why are the plus-size champions shrinking before our eyes?" by Chloe Elliot

A very interesting article, anyone:

"[...]
What I find most frustrating is when a respected plus-size celebrity or a model chooses to lose weight, they claim to have a new lease of life now that they’re slimmer.
[...]
This really doesn't sit well with me as they’re essentially saying that their life wasn't OK when they were bigger - not a great message to project to a potentially all plus-size following.
I can even see why some women would feel ‘betrayed’ to see their favourite curvy role model three sizes lighter.

That person they admired for loving their bigger body - different from the ‘norm’ - celebrating their rolls, stretch marks and curves has essentially sold out and conformed.
If these women chose to change their bodies for whatever reason - that’s fine.
Your body, your life.
But it still makes it difficult to digest when there are barely enough plus-size role models as it is.
I can’t wait for the day where we regularly see body confident plus-size women in the media completely unashamed of their bodies, and proving that you CAN be happy without striving for weight loss.
[...]
It is a shame that even as adults, so many successful plus women in the media still feel the pressure to shrink, meaning one less curvy role model for the rest of us."

- Chloe Elliot, Plus-Size blogger.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/54...e-lost-weight/
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #2
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
A very interesting article, anyone:

"[...]
What I find most frustrating is when a respected plus-size celebrity or a model chooses to lose weight, they claim to have a new lease of life now that they’re slimmer.
[...]
This really doesn't sit well with me as they’re essentially saying that their life wasn't OK when they were bigger - not a great message to project to a potentially all plus-size following.
I can even see why some women would feel ‘betrayed’ to see their favourite curvy role model three sizes lighter.

That person they admired for loving their bigger body - different from the ‘norm’ - celebrating their rolls, stretch marks and curves has essentially sold out and conformed.
If these women chose to change their bodies for whatever reason - that’s fine.
Your body, your life.
But it still makes it difficult to digest when there are barely enough plus-size role models as it is.
I can’t wait for the day where we regularly see body confident plus-size women in the media completely unashamed of their bodies, and proving that you CAN be happy without striving for weight loss.
[...]
It is a shame that even as adults, so many successful plus women in the media still feel the pressure to shrink, meaning one less curvy role model for the rest of us."

- Chloe Elliot, Plus-Size blogger.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/54...e-lost-weight/
This in particular. It's not so much the fact that they lose weight, but that, having lost weight, they then proceed to denigrate fatness in the media. There's more than enough hatred of fatness, in both the old and new media already. We don't need to be advised to hate fatness by people who've just decided that it's not for them after all. You do you, but stop hating on me. I love this quote from the article, which pretty much says it all.

"This really doesn't sit well with me as they’re essentially saying that their life wasn't OK when they were bigger - not a great message to project to a potentially all plus-size following."

"I can even see why some women would feel ‘betrayed’ to see their favourite curvy role model three sizes lighter."

"That person they admired for loving their bigger body - different from the ‘norm’ - celebrating their rolls, stretch marks and curves has essentially sold out and conformed."

If you want, in private, to back off from being fat, that's up to you. It's your life. Just don't stand next to my ride and start telling me how much better you feel, now that you don't own a Toyota anymore, capiche?

-----

That said, I can't help but feel that much of what she's noticing is a media invention.

Oh, don't get me wrong. These people do exist, and I'm not suggesting they didn't make this decision freely or anything like that, but as she points out, the headcount is different in the blogosphere. In terms of the large number of fat, confident people being pressured into changing their minds, I just don't think it's happening that way. The media only needs a few, high-profile mind-changers to capitalize on and build headlines around, in their obsessive, frothing war against the rest of us, because that's how propaganda works. You inflate (so to speak,) your own case, while downplaying, or just not reporting the progress being made by your opponents.

Now, these particular people should not have allowed themselves to be used as weapons by the fat-hostile media, but I don't blame them if they just didn't realize how their odd opinions would end up being abused.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
John Smith

John Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSwords View Post
This in particular. It's not so much the fact that they lose weight, but that, having lost weight, they then proceed to denigrate fatness in the media. There's more than enough hatred of fatness, in both the old and new media already. We don't need to be advised to hate fatness by people who've just decided that it's not for them after all. You do you, but stop hating on me. I love this quote from the article, which pretty much says it all.

"This really doesn't sit well with me as they’re essentially saying that their life wasn't OK when they were bigger - not a great message to project to a potentially all plus-size following."

"I can even see why some women would feel ‘betrayed’ to see their favourite curvy role model three sizes lighter."

"That person they admired for loving their bigger body - different from the ‘norm’ - celebrating their rolls, stretch marks and curves has essentially sold out and conformed."

If you want, in private, to back off from being fat, that's up to you. It's your life. Just don't stand next to my ride and start telling me how much better you feel, now that you don't own a Toyota anymore, capiche?

-----

That said, I can't help but feel that much of what she's noticing is a media invention.

Oh, don't get me wrong. These people do exist, and I'm not suggesting they didn't make this decision freely or anything like that, but as she points out, the headcount is different in the blogosphere. In terms of the large number of fat, confident people being pressured into changing their minds, I just don't think it's happening that way. The media only needs a few, high-profile mind-changers to capitalize on and build headlines around, in their obsessive, frothing war against the rest of us, because that's how propaganda works. You inflate (so to speak,) your own case, while downplaying, or just not reporting the progress being made by your opponents.

Now, these particular people should not have allowed themselves to be used as weapons by the fat-hostile media, but I don't blame them if they just didn't realize how their odd opinions would end up being abused.

Many "medias" - and I weigh my word just calling them like then - love to overgeneralize anything which could potentially being highly wholesale, indeed.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

I agree with the writer, Chloé Elliott, that it is annoying as hell that so many heavier (because the majority isn't really fat) female public figures (increasingly men too, btw) sooner or later clamber on the bandwagon of "oh I needed to lose weight, get healthier, feel so much better now, etc. etc."

First of all, almost all of them are a size where their weight has no physical or health implications - so really feeling much different has a credibility problem.

Second - and that baffles me over and over again - all these born again slimmers killed their careers by losing weight.
Anyone seen Melissa McCarthy since she lost weight? Which in any way note worthy movie has thin Jennifer Hudson starred in (just to remember, her first movie ever as the chubby girl earned her an Oscar)? Which model contracts has Sophie Dahl had since turning skeleton?
The list could be continued ad extenso.

Because there is a not all that small niche out there in the public figure business for heavier ladies (and gents. John Goodman for instance is the one who always returns to his normal fat self when he wants to work) - and staying in that niche if you're good is pretty effective job security. (Apart from the fact that you get to be a great role model).

The article though also contains an aspect where Elliott falls for media faking.
Ashley Graham is such a case - look at her foto stills - and then look at clips of simply filming her in action. Huge - literally - difference!
She seems to be an excellent poser, who with sucking in, tensing up and twisting to the right angle can create a much slimmer looking version of herself in front of the camera. And add on a liberal portion of photoshop.

Why this is done with her - and other so-called plus-size models - that's probably the media thin bias for you. Fat doesn't "sell".
Why these ladies who often promote body acceptance also do it for themselves - look at their own instagram & such feeds - that really beats me!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I hope Tess Holliday sees this and eats a dozen donuts and washes it all down with a giant glass of chocolate milk!
Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily_married View Post
I hope Tess Holliday sees this and eats a dozen donuts and washes it all down with a giant glass of chocolate milk!
She's kinda worst since she lied last year ago about her current poundage, reportedly stating she dropped back to her 2015 weight (279lbs) while clearly she look 20 pounds fatter, wider and heavier she was after her double pregnancy (circa 320lbs) .

She pretend weighing a half-hundred of pounds lighter while everybody can see that not only she don't spurt anything similar to her formerly size 22 wardrobe anymore but also attained a really noticeable body weight milestone just by looking to the way she just ballooned up overall, waddle, sit down, ecetera. For some unknown reasons, she got an inferiority complex concerning her ever-increasing upsizing since a while.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
I agree with the writer, Chloé Elliott, that it is annoying as hell that so many heavier (because the majority isn't really fat) female public figures (increasingly men too, btw) sooner or later clamber on the bandwagon of "oh I needed to lose weight, get healthier, feel so much better now, etc. etc."

First of all, almost all of them are a size where their weight has no physical or health implications - so really feeling much different has a credibility problem.

Second - and that baffles me over and over again - all these born again slimmers killed their careers by losing weight.
Anyone seen Melissa McCarthy since she lost weight? Which in any way note worthy movie has thin Jennifer Hudson starred in (just to remember, her first movie ever as the chubby girl earned her an Oscar)? Which model contracts has Sophie Dahl had since turning skeleton?

Because there is a not all that small niche out there in the public figure business for heavier ladies (and gents. John Goodman for instance is the one who always returns to his normal fat self when he wants to work) - and staying in that niche if you're good is pretty effective job security. (Apart from the fact that you get to be a great role model).

The article though also contains an aspect where Elliott falls for media faking.
Ashley Graham is such a case - look at her foto stills - and then look at clips of simply filming her in action. Huge - literally - difference!
She seems to be an excellent poser, who with sucking in, tensing up and twisting to the right angle can create a much slimmer looking version of herself in front of the camera. And add on a liberal portion of photoshop.

Why this is done with her - and other so-called plus-size models - that's probably the media thin bias for you. Fat doesn't "sell".
Why these ladies who often promote body acceptance also do it for themselves - look at their own instagram & such feeds - that really beats me!
Totally. This whole hypocrisy got seriously annoying.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #8
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
That's a consistent occurrence issue with people in show business. NAAFA used to have recognition awards for fat entertainers. But after several got weight loss religion after being recognized, NAAFA changed to only recognize dead entertainers.

Quote:
That's a bit of Fat Acceptance urban legend. Unfortunately even smaller midsized BBWs have has issues with menorrhagia, menorrhea, fertility, or blood glucose problems that have been relieved by weight loss. I've known at least a dozen in the fat acceptance community that had these issues and as much as I hated it, weight loss helped them.

Quote:
Whether it's the change in a formerly fat singer's voice, a formerly fat comedian's shtick just not being as funny delivered by a thinner person, or simply a formerly fat actor no longer fitting into a scripted friendship hierarchy, they never seem to do as well as when they were fatter.

I sometimes wonder if their weight loss is tied to that fact that they did "make it" professionally. (At least for those who lost weight non-surgically.) Since emotional stress is strongly tied to weight gain for some people, maybe having made it relieved some of that stress and they began to stop overeating.

Quote:
Goodman is still a lot thinner that he was at his peak. I doubt he'll every fully return to his old size. But he is still typecast as a big guy in most every role he portrays. And since he's got such loose skin after his weight loss he'll never appear "average". That may be why he regains for his roles.

The bigger problem is that society assigns a niche based on appearance. It seems worse in the entertainment industry where it's based on presenting stereotypes. General society seems a little better as everyone is getting fatter.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFA View Post
That's a bit of Fat Acceptance urban legend. Unfortunately even smaller midsized BBWs have has issues with menorrhagia, menorrhea, fertility, or blood glucose problems that have been relieved by weight loss. I've known at least a dozen in the fat acceptance community that had these issues and as much as I hated it, weight loss helped them.
I think we have a simple misunderstanding here regarding which size the original article is speaking about and that was my point of reference.

It is not about "small" BBWs in the Dims/NAAFA sense.

Her main target are well-known, mainstream plus-size fashion models.

Plus-size models in this definition are women with US sizes 12-16, all of the 5'9"+. Many of them actually have a medically healthy BMI of <25, at most BMI 26-27. We are talking here about NORMAL weight.
The problem is today's visual standard for women is borderline underweight with a BMI<20, for "straight-size" models BMI 17-18 - and it is okay to start bashing women as overweight from BMI 22 onward.

If anybody has health problems at a size up to BMI 27, then these are individual physical and genetic dispositions that will with 99% certainty also need to be kept in check after weight loss at a BMI 20.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
choudhury

choudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this boardchoudhury carries a lot of weight on this board

God love Tess Holliday, but her position as a "champion" for the plus-sized has its own problems, because here's the thing - subaltern groups have always been "allowed" to be fat within our culture. It's more socially normalized for African American, poor, and working class people, for instance, to be overweight. This is one more way in which the privileged group demarcates itself. Holliday's self-positioning, with the tattoos and all, is lowbrow and working class, and in that sense she is not really a challenge to the dominant assumptions of the status quo. When we see a world-famous plus-sized model who is projecting the same kind of sophisticated glamour usually associated with the super-model class, that's when we'll know we have a truly subversive "champion."
choudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

I just have a couple of points I want to make here.

Quote:
Quote:
I've been keeping silent on this point for a bit, and I wasn't sure if I should speak up, but now that it's being argued, I feel I should address this. I've been a medical researcher professionally for six, going on seven years now, and I just don't think there is any good reason to think that weight is the deciding factor with respect to any medical problems.

However, if someone loses five pounds and tells me it makes them feel much better, I don't doubt that they really do feel better. I feel better now, physiologically than I did four pounds ago. However, in my case, the improvement in my energy level and overall health didn't come from the trivial four pound drop out of 280. It came from the fact that I was practicing healthier habits, such as a decreased intake of refined sugars and a much more regular exercise routine. Getting into regular exercise by itself can make a tired, sluggish person feel a dozen times better.

Quote:
The bigger problem is that society assigns a niche based on appearance. It seems worse in the entertainment industry where it's based on presenting stereotypes.
See, I don't really agree with this. Society doesn't assign niches. Niches form naturally, as a result of people having specialized interests. The crime of society in this area is only in its mis-defining fat people as being unattractive, and fatness as being a bad thing.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
fuelingfire

fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I just don't think there is any good reason to think that weight is the deciding factor with respect to any medical problems.
Would you prefer the words, “risk factor” or “precipitating factor?”
Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Never2fat4me

Never2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticedNever2fat4me never has a post go unnoticed

Just saw this thread. I am with others in loving the Chloe Elliot opinion piece; she is right on the money. Only thing more sickening than those who have lost weight and telling us how amazing they feel (and going on and on about it - but I guess there is no such thing as bad publicity and celebrities know they will get in the news by telling everyone that) are those people who previously had talked about self-love and body positivity but then go on to tell us how awful they felt when they were fatter and want everyone else to experience how much better they feel post-weight loss. To quote from my youth: gag me with a spoon!

- Chris

PS - Same goes for those magazines who like to say they are body-positive and publish the occasional story about fat fashion or a fat celeb but then go on to publish a dozen articles about how to lose weight. Hypocrites.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I generally don't see models as spokespeople for any other social cause, and don't really want or need them speaking out on this issue either.
I think true leaders of fat acceptance and body positivity are not getting the media time that they deserve.
And yes, I'm well aware of the difference between the fat acceptance & body positivity movements, which we've discussed in another thread.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
EtobicokeFA
Proud FA

EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

However it’s not just models. Take Jamie Lopez who opened the plus sized salon in Vegas. In the ads and interviews she did, is was body positive. She got a lot of body shaming comments, from the internet. And, if the latest news is right, the negativity finally got to her.

"Health is not a body weight, it's a measure of fitness."
EtobicokeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #16
TwoSwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelingfire View Post
Would you prefer the words, “risk factor” or “precipitating factor?”
"Risk factor" is the term I use, since it refers to estimates and percentages, and I think that's the most accurate way to look at the weight-health issue.

There are risk factors associated with being thin, being fat, getting too little exercise, getting too much, eating the wrong foods, not eating enough of the right foods, stress level, etc... Risk factors tell us far less than is usually supposed, which, as I said, makes it most accurate term for describing the weight-health relationship.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #17
TwoSwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
I generally don't see models as spokespeople for any other social cause, and don't really want or need them speaking out on this issue either.
I think it's a bad idea for anyone to look to models as role models. However, the real question is; where do people turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
I think true leaders of fat acceptance and body positivity are not getting the media time that they deserve.
At least not on this planet.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I think it's a bad idea for anyone to look to models as role models. However, the real question is; where do people turn?
Completely agree. And that goes for models of all sizes. No matter what your preference, big small and anything in between, it’s really easy to look perfect when you’re shot by a team of professional photographers in a controlled setting with perfect lighting and the product is then given photoshop treatments by a production team...regular people don’t stand a chance!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by choudhury View Post
God love Tess Holliday, but her position as a "champion" for the plus-sized has its own problems, because here's the thing - subaltern groups have always been "allowed" to be fat within our culture. It's more socially normalized for African American, poor, and working class people, for instance, to be overweight. This is one more way in which the privileged group demarcates itself. Holliday's self-positioning, with the tattoos and all, is lowbrow and working class, and in that sense she is not really a challenge to the dominant assumptions of the status quo. When we see a world-famous plus-sized model who is projecting the same kind of sophisticated glamour usually associated with the super-model class, that's when we'll know we have a truly subversive "champion."
Interesting point.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
Badapple

Badapple has said some nice things

Models stand in front of a camera and that makes them an expert in that alone.
Cloudhury you make a salient point.
Badapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifestyle, plussize, size acceptance, sizeism