Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default don't believe the hype

Ever ate at a restaurant or cafe or had something that didn't live up the masses praises? For example I don't like lobster (don't kill me svs!) and feel it's bland, even with lots of drawn butter.

Another example:

On our anniversary, my honey & I went to a bakery. Not just any bakery but one promoted by the mistress of hype--Oprah Winfrey. You'd think she had a religious ephinany when describing her first bite into their red velvet cake. If Oprah who is worth a gazionilly billondjy

So we both went to Wimp's Bakery in Harlem. First bad sign: Someone placed masking tape over the prices. Apparently they thought they could warrant a price hike. $5.50 for a slice of cake! We both turned to each other at the same time and said "It better be good".

I ordered red velvet cake, K. ordered his favorite, german chocolate. The slice was small. I prepared for visions of Buddha, Allah, the Virgin Mary after my slice. The first bite came. Dry. Dry, Dry! Dry cake and it scimped on the frosting. Ever eat a Drakes' Devil Dog? Yes it was dryer than a devil dog. Would good frosting matter if the cake itself was lacking? Hard to tell. It was like a cotton ball, sucking all the moisture from my mouth. I doused my mouth with plenty of diet root beer.

Needless to say, K. wrote an email to the owner the next day. She wrote back a few weeks later, offering him a free slice! A free slice of lousy overpriced cake. He actually contemplated going back. It reminds me of the old joke "The food was bad and the portions were terrible".

So don't listen to Oprah.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
Ever ate at a restaurant or cafe or had something that didn't live up the masses praises? For example I don't like lobster (don't kill me svs!) and feel it's bland, even with lots of drawn butter.

Another example:

On our anniversary, my honey & I went to a bakery. Not just any bakery but one promoted by the mistress of hype--Oprah Winfrey. You'd think she had a religious ephinany when describing her first bite into their red velvet cake. If Oprah who is worth a gazionilly billondjy

So we both went to Wimp's Bakery in Harlem. First bad sign: Someone placed masking tape over the prices. Apparently they thought they could warrant a price hike. $5.50 for a slice of cake! We both turned to each other at the same time and said "It better be good".

I ordered red velvet cake, K. ordered his favorite, german chocolate. The slice was small. I prepared for visions of Buddha, Allah, the Virgin Mary after my slice. The first bite came. Dry. Dry, Dry! Dry cake and it scimped on the frosting. Ever eat a Drakes' Devil Dog? Yes it was dryer than a devil dog. Would good frosting matter if the cake itself was lacking? Hard to tell. It was like a cotton ball, sucking all the moisture from my mouth. I doused my mouth with plenty of diet root beer.

Needless to say, K. wrote an email to the owner the next day. She wrote back a few weeks later, offering him a free slice! A free slice of lousy overpriced cake. He actually contemplated going back. It reminds me of the old joke "The food was bad and the portions were terrible".

So don't listen to Oprah.
Ewww nothing worse than dry cake, I'm sorry the experience was not a pleasant one. It make me wonder if they jacked up the prices after Oprah raved about them on television. Best advice ever: don't listen to Oprah (or Phil, or Montel or......well you get the idea).
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

However, I'd would take the advice of anyone here as genuine when suggesting a local favorite! Just sayin' We foodees need to help each other out.

Agreed, nothing worse than dry cake and scant icing. Well, maybe overdone steak, overblackened catfish, watery spaghetti sauce, pasty gravy, underdone potato, warm milk, and moldy salad are really close.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Normal home meal:

Pot roast: It's just not that good, folks. It's meat doused in scum and cooked so all the vegetables taste the same, wet and like a bland, stringy pile of crap.

Fast food:

KFC: Don't get the fuss. Seriously. Greasy, stomach-irritating chicken that doesn't taste that good. If I'm going to eat something that potentially triggers a panic attack, it better taste delicious. My theory: It's popular because frying chicken is scary.

As far as fancy meals go:

I don't get the fuss over turkey. It's drier than chicken with more fat and pretty bland. The less it tastes like food, the more successful you are with cooking it.

Marinara sauces are also overrated. It's often more onion-y ass flavored than it is tomato-y. And FYI, it doesn't go on everything... What the hell's up with that trend? It wasn't good on spaghetti, why dump it on innocent chicken or beef? Enough.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Okay, now don't all get your guns at once .. but I HATE macaroni cheese!!!! Its thick, glutinous, cloying, nasty flavour, too filling, and... boring. But most of all, it makes a disgusting noise when stirred around! Don't say it's just the type I've tried that must be bad, I will always taste something before deciding if I don't like it, and I've tasted lots of different kinds. Then... some people add garlic bread to the already hideously carb overload .... the stuff of nightmares.

Subway sandwiches. I HATE their baguette bread. It's dry and no matter what filling they put in it still tastes dry, like eating two bath sponges with filling.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!

i hate cheesecake.
it's so thick and mealy and it gets stuck in my throat and i'd just way rather have some ice cream or sorbet or whatever.

also, on the topic of oprah-endorsed food:
years and years and YEARS ago oprah said something on her show about this little fried chicken joint in my old neighborhood, ezell's. she said it was so good that she was in the habit of having it flown in from seattle to chicago, when she threw parties.
this place was across the street from my high school at the time, and we used to go there for lunch all the time and had gotten to know the owner pretty well.
he told us that as soon as she even said the name on air, he started getting phone calls from new york, miami, toronto, everywhere from people who wanted to have chicken flown in. nearly a decade later, he's still making tons of money off that one tiny oprah mention.
it's crazy.

luckily, the chicken there is worthy of the hype.
elle camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Cajun food outside of Louisiana...

I have been to so many restaurants that have “Cajun” dishes where they basically dump a bunch of spices on something and call it Cajun! I never knew what Cajun food was until I went on a trip around Louisiana and New Orleans in particular.

I dunno, maybe it's like trying to make San Francisco sourdough bread in Phoenix?

fa_man_stan

"Regardless of who runs the websites and organizations, the cause belongs to all of us.
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
Brenda

Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Brenda has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I moved to Phoenix a year and a half ago and besides some good Mexican food it is a very sad place for a good meal. When I first got here I was assured that AJ's Fine Foods was the place to get anything and everything. Boo! Think Safeway with double the prices even on basic grocery items. I think they have confused gourmet and overpriced.

Brenda
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Anyone have a Romio's where they live?

A co-worker told me about a place that opened near my home called Romio's.

He knows I seek the perfect Gyro. There was a ma and pops place in Pocatello (I moved from there 7 years ago) that had the BEST gyros ever. I haven't found a place in Boise that has any near as good as those were.

Well he said the gyros at Romio's are good, so I tried one. Added bonus they deliver! And though the gryro was good it wasn't as good as the place back home.

But since I LOVE a place that delivers something besides pizza I would like to know if any of you have eaten at a Romio's and what you recommend from their menu?

http://www.romiospizza.com/
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
SchecterFA

SchecterFA can now change their title

There's a local chain here called 'Johnny's Pizza' that is simply the best pizza I've ever eaten, anywhere.
SchecterFA is offline   Reply With Quote